Author Topic: 50 Books in 2017!  (Read 131267 times)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 50 Books in 2017!
« Reply #300 on: March 24, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »
15. Hemingway Didn't Say That, by Garson O'Toole

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #301 on: March 24, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »
1. Until the End book 1- The Party (Christopher Pike)
2. Until the End book 2- The Dance (Christopher Pike)
3. Until the End book 3- The Graduation (Christopher Pike)
4. The Bookseller (Cynthia Swanson)
Pretty interesting. About two alternate lives of a woman in early 1960's.
5. Die Softly (Christopher Pike)
6. Down a Dark Hall (Lois Duncan)
7. Great Expectations (Charles Dickens)
8. Stranger With My Face (Lois Duncan)
9. So Pretty It Hurts (Kate White)
10. A Body To Die For (Kate White)
11. Locked In Time. (Lois Duncan)
12. I Know what you did last summer (Lois Duncan)
13. Summer of Fear (Lois Duncan)
14. Paris in Love (Eloisa James)
15. Daughters of Eve (Lois Duncan)
16. Ransom (Lois Duncan)
17. The Valley of Amazement (Amy Tan)
18. Killing & Dying (Adrian Tomine)
19. The Third Eye (Lois Duncan)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #302 on: March 24, 2017, 10:24:42 AM »
#1 Christmas Joy by Nancy Naigle
#2 Starry Night by Debbie Macomber
#3: The Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
#3 Stop Working . . . Start Living: How I Retired at 36 (Without Winning the Lottery) by Dianne Nahirny
#4 Getting a Life: Real Lives Transformed by Your Money or Your Life by Jacquelyn Blix & David Heitmiller (currently reading. thx to Lhamo for the mention of the book son someone's journal. it's about how people's lives adopted to YMOYL)
#5 Your Money Or Your Life by Monique Tilford and Vicki Robin
#6 The Millionaire Next Door - Thomas J. Stanley (again - I love reading this book)

some of you are quite the voracious readers. nice.

Libertea

• Bristles
Re: 100 Books in 2017!
« Reply #303 on: March 25, 2017, 07:01:36 AM »
I'm doubling the goal.  Posting books I have finished as I finish them along with a brief review/blurb.

1) 17/01/01 - Assholes: A Theory (Aaron James): philosophical treatise about what it means for someone to be an asshole and how we can deal with them
2) 17/01/01 - Assholes: A Theory of Donald Trump (same author): sequel to the prior book, subject obvious
3) 17/01/02 - The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho): I may be the only person on this forum who didn't like this book, but it's supposed to be an allegory about following your dreams.  I appreciate that aspect of it, but I find the whole New Age mumbo jumbo to be a bit over the top.
4) 17/01/04 - Spaceman (Mike Massimino): Hubble telescope spacewalking astronaut's memoirs
5) 17/01/06 - Luna: New Moon (Ian McDonald): sci-fi dystopia played out on the moon in a feudal society (complete with warring great families); ends with a cliffhanger and sequel due out in March
6) 17/01/07 - The Art of Sleeping Alone (Sophie Fontanel): French writer's memoir about the years when she gave up relationships/sex.  Not as enlightening (or even as scandalous) as I would have hoped, but occasionally surprisingly humorous.
7) 17/01/07 - On Bullshit (Harry Frankfurt): philosophical treatise on bullshit, the inspiration for James's treatises on assholes (cited above).  At 67 pages, really more of an essay than a book, but published in book form.
8) 17/01/08 - A Deeper Love Inside (Sister Souljah): sequel to The Coldest Winter Ever, Souljah's novel about ghetto life in NYC.  Silly, unrealistic ending, but Winter's younger sister Porsche is a much more interesting and sympathetic main character than Winter.
9) 17/01/08 - Good Morning, Midnight (Lily Brooks-Dalton): if you're a sci fi fan, all I can say is, wow.  You should read this book.  Loneliness and the myriad connections between an astronomer and an astronaut who unexpectedly and inexplicably find themselves to be two of the last people on or off the earth.
10) 17/01/10 - Dragons of Summer Flame (Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman): last of the Dragonlance series that follows the fates of both the original generation and the second generation (should be read after the original Dragonlance series and after The Second Generation, since it builds on all of those stories).
11) 17/01/15 - Join (Steve Toutonghi): strange, disturbing sci fi novel raising questions about the nature of what it means to be human and mortal in an era where technology makes it possible to combine one's psyche with those of others into a group psyche
12) 17/01/17 - Men We Reaped (Jesmyn Ward): memoir of a black woman growing up impoverished in rural Mississippi, focusing specifically on the many black men she knew (including her brother) who died young due to drugs or accidents.  It's hard for me to explain why, but I came away from this book feeling annoyed with the author (who also had a drug problem with alcohol), not sympathetic.
13) 17/01/21 - The Girl Who Wrote in Silk (Kelli Estes): loosely historical mystery novel based on history of Chinese immigration to and expulsion from Washington Territory (later Washington State).  Initially slow going and took time to get into, but worth the effort.
14) 17/01/28 - The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion (Fannie Flagg): this is actually a re-read, but just as good the second time as the first.  By the same author who wrote "Fried Green Tomatoes," with similar style and theme (older woman telling her life story to a middle-aged present-day woman trying to find herself)
15) 17/01/29 - Hillbilly Elegy (JD Vance): family memoir of a KY "hillbilly" and how he ended up successfully graduating from Yale Law School.  I read this at the rec of several people on this site who were wanting to use it to try to understand why so many people voted for Trump.  Not sure it provides much in the way of help along those lines, but it was an interesting book nonetheless, and well written.
16) 17/02/07 - Bait and Switch (Barbara Ehrenreich): this is the sequel to "Nickel and Dimed," her book about blue collar workers.  B&S describes the trials and travails of laid-off white collar workers.  The author is really pretty hilarious, but I think this book could have been so much more if she had questioned the premise of whether entering the white collar corporate world was worthwhile in the first place (she doesn't).
17) 17/02/17 - America: Imagine A World Without Her (Dinesh D'Souza): book based on his documentary of the same name (or maybe the book came first?  I'm not sure.)  Offers a counter to the prevailing progressive view of the US as a colonial power that "steals" from the little guys and gals.  He's a little too rah rah pro Christianity, but otherwise I liked the book.
18) 17/02/17 - Night of the Animals (Bill Broun): ok, I really like sci fi and fantasy, but this was a totally out there, cultist dystopian future novel mainly told from the perspective of an unreliable nonagenarian drug addict narrator.  I'm still not sure if I liked it.  It was just....weird.
19) 17/02/25 - Calling Me Home (Julie Kibler): novel about a white girl and a black boy who fall in love in 1930s Kentucky with predictably bad results, alternating with a modern day story about the developing friendship between the same (now elderly) white woman and a young black woman.  Very sad book and a bit cliche at times, but overall a good read.
20) 17/03/09 - Striking Back (Aaron Klein): history of the Munich Olympic Massacre of Israeli athletes in 1972 and the subsequent assassination campaign of Palestinian operatives carried out by the Israeli Mossad.  The book got a bit dry and slow in places, but the descriptions of various commando actions like Operation Spring of Youth were almost like they were out of the plot of an action movie.
21) 17/03/09 - Venomous (Christie Wilcox): describes the mechanisms, evolution, research, and medical applications of various animal venoms.  The author is a venom biologist (a toxinologist).  This is a really cool and interesting book.  I checked it out from the library, but I'm actually considering buying a copy because it's one that I can see myself wanting to re-read in the future.
22) 17/03/09 - Unworking (Clark Vandeventer) - I think I heard about this book here on MMM.  The author is a proponent of lifestyle optimization (from the genre of Tim Ferris, minus the virtual assistants). This is his memoir of how he quit the rat race and took on what he calls "patchwork income" to be able to have his ideal lifestyle (mainly being a ski bum and family man) right now, rather than having to wait until he accumulated a big enough stash to retire.]
23) 17/03/12 - Saving Sophie (Ronald Balson) - sequel to "Once We Were Brothers," with several of the same characters along with some new ones.  Kind of a cross between "Not Without My Daughter" and a crime intrigue worthy of John Grisham.  What can I say, except this novel was a page-turner, and even better than the first book.  Highly recommend.
24) 17/03/20 - Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese) - long novel about a dynasty of Ethiopian doctors written by an Ethiopian doctor.  Slow going initially, but the story picked up and got interesting by about 1/4 of the way in.  Well worth reading if you can stick with it long enough for the author to develop the story.
25) 17/03/25 - Patriots (James Wesley Rawles) - written by the author of Survivalblog; I read it after hearing an interview with him on the Radical Personal Finance Podcast.  It is basically a survivalist manifesto masquerading as a novel.  Can get kind of dry and bogged down when the author starts going into some of the intricate details of various survivalist tools and techniques, and not my usual genre of interest, but it was a fairly quick read.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #304 on: March 25, 2017, 02:56:22 PM »
1. A Kiss of Shadows By Hamilton, Laurell K.
2. A Caress of Twilight By Hamilton, Laurell K.
3. The Prisoner of Zenda By Hope, Anthony (audiobook)
4. Pukka's Promise - The Quest for Longer-lived Dogs By Kerasote, Ted
5. The Broken Kingdoms By Jemisin, N. K.
6. The Golem's Eye By Stroud, Jonathan
7. The House of Mirth By Wharton, Edith (audiobook)
8. Babylon's Ashes By Corey, James S. A.
9. Seduced by Moonlight By Hamilton, Laurell K.
10. Treasure Island By Stevenson By Robert Louis (audiobook)
11. Vagabonding - An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-term World Travel By Rolf Potts
12. The Kingdom of Gods By Jemisin, N. K.
13. Ptolemy's Gate By Stroud, Jonathan (audiobook)
14. Crucible of Gold By Novik, Naomi
15. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn By Mark Twain (audiobook)
16. Bird by Bird - Some Instructions on Writing and Life By Lamott, Anne
17. A Dog's Purpose - a Novel for Humans By Cameron, W. Bruce
18. The Time Traveler's Wife By Niffenegger, Audrey (audiobook)

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #305 on: March 27, 2017, 06:22:35 AM »
1. Rose: My Life in Service to Lady Astor by Rosina Harrison
2. The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Maze Runner #1)
3. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
4. The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (Maze Runner #2)
5. The Death Cure by James Dashner (Maze Runner #3)
6. Welcome to the World, Baby Girl by Fannie Flagg (Elmwood Springs #1)
7. Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse #11)
8. Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg (Elmwood Springs #2)
9. Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse #12)
10. Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse #13)
11. A Touch of Dead by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse Short Stories)
12. Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg (Elmwood Springs #3)
13. The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman (His Dark Materials #1)
14. More Than This by Jay McLean (More Than #1)
15. More Than Her by Jay McLean (More Than #2)
16. The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman (His Dark Materials #2)
17. Wool by Hugh Howey (Silo #1)
18. Shift by Hugh Howey (Silo #2)
19. Slumdog Millionaire by Vikas Swarup
20. Dust by Hugh Howey (Silo #3)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #306 on: March 27, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »
16. Community 92 by Catherine Hunn

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #307 on: March 27, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »
1. Fasting by Jentezen Franklin
2. The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King
3. The Eleventh Commandment by Jeffrey Archer
4. From Russia with Love by Ian Fleming
5. The Whistler by John Grisham
6. A measure of endurance: the unlikely Triumph of Steven Sharp by William Mishler
7. Unlucky 13 by James Patterson & Maxine Paetero
8. The couple next door by Sheri Lapena
9. The Gift by Louise Jensen
10. The Brethren by John Grisham
11. Bullseye by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge
12. Vanished by Joseph Finder
13. The Girls He Adored by Jonathan Nasaw

14. Hidden by Kendra Elliott

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #308 on: March 27, 2017, 07:28:42 PM »
6. A measure of endurance: the unlikely Triumph of Steven Sharp by William Mishler

15. The Charm School by Nelson Demille

Abooki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #309 on: March 28, 2017, 08:57:16 AM »
Great pick! One of my favourite books!!! and one of my favourite people in the world! I read it back in 2013
Check out the following too(if you have not already):
 Ghana Must Go - Taiye Selasi
We Need New Names-    NoViolet Bulawayo
The Thing Around Your Neck also by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I'm in! I'll list books as I finish:

1. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (1/7/17)

Abooki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #310 on: March 28, 2017, 09:02:39 AM »
I second this! It is amazing!!! I have reread it 2 since 2013. It is so close to home to me.

This has been on my list since two years, how did you find it?

I really liked it! I've been recommending it to friends non-stop since I've finished.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: March 28, 2017, 10:34:56 AM »
Great pick! One of my favourite books!!! and one of my favourite people in the world! I read it back in 2013
Check out the following too(if you have not already):
 Ghana Must Go - Taiye Selasi
We Need New Names-    NoViolet Bulawayo
The Thing Around Your Neck also by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Awesome! Thanks for the list!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #312 on: March 29, 2017, 09:51:30 AM »
17. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: March 29, 2017, 11:19:05 AM »
I've tried and failed the last couple of years (only getting 20-25 in). I have a late start in 2017 but I'll still give it a try!

1. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
2. Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #314 on: March 29, 2017, 07:48:32 PM »
1. A Blistered Kind of Love by Angela and Duffy Ballard (1/11)
2. Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance (1/19)
3. Flood by Stephen Baxter (1/23)
4. A Murder in Time by Julie McElwain (1/29)
5. Cyberstorm by Matthew Mather (2/1)
6. Doing Good Better by Will MacAskill (2/9)
7. Ark by Stephen Baxter (2/15)
8. This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (2/15)
9. On the Beach by Nevil Shute (2/25)
10. The Circle by Dave Eggers (3/6)
11. How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid (3/9)
12. Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari (3/10)
13. The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman (3/20)
14. The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman (3/29)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #315 on: March 30, 2017, 08:10:12 AM »
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone- 1/5/17
2. Essentialism- 50%
3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets- 1/9/17
4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- 1/16/17
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire -2/6/17
6. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child- 2/8/17
7. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix- 2/24/17
8. Geography of Bliss- 3/8/17
9. The Girl on the Train- 3/15/17
10. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince- 3/26/17

11. The Art of Happiness- 15%

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #316 on: March 30, 2017, 10:42:57 AM »
#3 Stop Working . . . Start Living: How I Retired at 36 (Without Winning the Lottery) by Dianne Nahirny
#4 Getting a Life: Real Lives Transformed by Your Money or Your Life by Jacquelyn Blix & David Heitmiller (currently reading. thx to Lhamo for the mention of the book son someone's journal. it's about how people's lives adopted to YMOYL)
#6 The Millionaire Next Door - Thomas J. Stanley (again - I love reading this book)

#7 Dear Debt: A Story About Breaking Up With Debt by Melanie Lockert <=quick read. much liked it. just wish Melanie went a bit more in depth with her own story of climbing out of 81K of debt.

NinjaSalad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #317 on: March 30, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »
I'm a newbie here but since I set a similar goal for myself in January too, I'll join in. I'm a little behind but catching up...

1. How To Be Good by Nick Hornby
2. Maximum Bob By Elmore Leonard
3. Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore
4. Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore
5. Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore
6. Unselfie Why Empathetic Kids Succeed In Our All-About-Me-World by Michele Borba

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #318 on: March 31, 2017, 10:38:58 AM »
I'm in!

1. Talking as Fast as I Can; From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls by Lauren Graham[/li][/list]
2. Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof
3. I for Innocent by Sue Grafton
4. Atonement by Ian McEwan
5. Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
6. The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin by Gordon S. Wood (currently reading)
7. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriett Beecher Stowe (currently reading)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #319 on: April 01, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »
16. Ransom (Lois Duncan)
20. Embroideries (Marjane Satrapi)

Abooki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #320 on: April 01, 2017, 09:18:02 PM »
I love We Should All Be Feminists- great quick read.
She just came out with dear ijeawele, or a feminist manifesto in fifteen suggestions - another great read
1. Catch 22- Joseph Heller
2. Macbeth - Shakespeare
3. The Book Thief -Markus Zusak
4. Midnight's Children -Salman Rushdie
5. Ile - Eugene O'Neill
6. The Good Earth - Pearl S Buck
7. Shrill: Notes From a Loud Woman - Lindy West
8. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Díaz
9. Tales of Beedle the Bard - JK Rowling
10. The Girl Who Fell From the Sky - Heidi W Durrow
11. No One Is Here Except All of Us - Ramona Ausubel
12. We Should All Be Feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

13. Wanderlust: A History of Walking - Rebecca Solnit

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: April 02, 2017, 06:23:20 PM »
First 100 books for the year. I doubt I'll keep up this pace now that cycling weather is coming.

1   01/01/17   Garton, Ray   Bestial
2   01/02/17   Schow, David J.   Seeing Red
3   01/02/17   Hagberg, David   24 Hours
4   01/03/17   Hagberg, David   End Game
5   01/03/17   Roche, Stephen   Born to Ride
6   01/04/17   Garfield, Brian   Tripwire
7   01/06/17   Hunter, Stephen   I, Ripper
8   01/06/17   Chizmar, Richard   Darkness Whispers
9   01/07/17   Crumley, James   Dancing Bear
10   01/08/17   Rollins, James   War Hawk
11   01/10/17   Garfield, Brian   The Last Hard Men
12   01/10/17   Miller, Rex   Iceman
13   01/11/17   Wendig, Chuck   Zeroes
14   01/11/17   Wohlsdorf, Gina   Security
15   01/12/17   Abel, James   Cold Silence
16   01/14/17   Morris, Keith Lee   Travelers Rest
17   01/15/17   Burke, James Lee   The Jealous Kind
18   01/16/17   Cutter, Nick   Little Heaven
19   01/16/17   Hamilton, Steve   A Stolen Season
20   01/17/17   McDermott, Alan   Trojan
21   01/18/17   Deaver, Jeffery   The Steel Kiss
22   01/19/17   Hurwitz, Gregg   The Nowhere Man
23   01/20/17   Stewart, Chris   Driving over Lemons
24   01/21/17   Dazieri, Sandrone   Kill the Father
25   01/22/17   Garton, Ray   Lot Lizards
26   01/22/17   Moore, Jonathan   The Dark Room
27   01/23/17   Sturgeon, Theodore   I, Libertine
28   01/24/17   Kraus, Daniel   The Monster Variations
29   01/25/17   Abrahams, Tom   Spaceman
30   01/25/17   Carpenter, Stephen   Killer
31   01/26/17   Carr, Caleb   Surrender, New York
32   01/27/17   Reardon, Scott   The Prometheus Man
33   01/28/17   Hilleman, Andrew   World, Chase me Down
34   01/29/17   Whitehead, Colson   The Underground Railroad
35   01/29/17   Dorsey, Tim   Clownfish Blues
36   01/30/17   O'Brien, Tim   The Things They Carried
37   01/30/17   Gorman, Ed   Sleeping Dogs
38   01/31/17   Gorman, Ed   The Day the Music Died
39   02/01/17   Seeley, Nick   Cambodia Noir
40   02/01/17   Freed, David   Hot Start
41   02/01/17   Farnsworth, Christopher   KILLFILE
42   02/02/17   Van Lustbader, Eric   Any Minute Now
43   02/03/17   Deady, Tom   Haven
44   02/03/17   Lida, David   One Life
45   02/04/17   Ho-Kei, Chan   The Borrowed
46   02/05/17   Zander, Joakim   The Believer
47   02/06/17   Gorman, Ed   Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?
48   02/06/17   Garton, Ray   Night Life
49   02/07/17   Hawker, LS   End of the Road
50   02/07/17   Barton, Fiona   The Widow
51   02/08/17   Clarkson, John   Bronx Requiem
52   02/09/17   Gardner, Lisa   Right Behind You
53   02/10/17   Holms, Garret   Grant of Immunity
54   02/11/17   Gorman, Ed   Wake Up, Little Susie
55   02/11/17   Eade, Kenneth   Paladine
56   02/15/17   Mark, David   Cruel Mercy
57   02/17/17   Knight, Phil   Shoe Dog
58   02/19/17   Kellerman, Jonathan   Heartbreak Hotel
59   02/20/17   Dickinson, Robert   The Tourist
60   02/21/17   Clarkson, John   Reed's Promise
61   02/22/17   L'Etoile, James   At What Cost
62   02/22/17   Asher, Neal   The Departure
63   02/23/17   Gorman, Ed   Save the Last Dance for Me
64   02/24/17   Asher, Neal   Zero Point
65   02/24/17   Gorman, Ed   Everybody's Somebody's Fool
66   02/24/17   Asher, Neal   Polity Agent
67   02/25/17   Asher, Neal   Jupiter War
68   02/27/17   Knott, Robert   Revelation
69   02/28/17   Gorman, Ed   Breaking Up is Hard to Do
70   03/04/17   Berry, Steve   The Alexandria Link
71   03/06/17   Gorman, Ed   Fools Rush In
72   03/06/17   Gorman, Ed   Ticket to Ride
73   03/07/17   Wayne, Teddy   Loner, A Novel
74   03/07/17   Gorman, Ed   Bad Moon Rising
75   03/09/17   Robinson, Jeremy   Prime
76   03/10/17   Winters, Ben H   Underground Airlines
77   03/11/17   Axat, Federico   Kill the Next One
78   03/11/17   Wilson, Carter   Revelation
79   03/11/17   Russ, Ted   Spirit Mission
80   03/12/17   Mizushima, Margaret   Stalking Ground
81   03/13/17   Mosby, Steve   The Reckoning on Cane Hill
82   03/14/17   Giambanco, Valentina   Blood and Bone
83   03/16/17   Robin, Dominguez, Tilford   Your Money or Your Life
84   03/17/17   Robinson, Jeremy   Pulse
85   03/18/17   Franklin, Tom   Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
86   03/18/17   Schulman, J. Neil   The Robert Heinlein Interview
87   03/19/17   Barry, Sebastian   Days Without End
88   03/21/17   Flynn, Vince   Order to Kill
89   03/21/17   Carpenter, Stephen   Killer In The Hills
90   03/22/17   Garfield, Brian   The Vanquished
91   03/22/17   Donovan, Jim   Take charge of your destiny
92   03/24/17   Lehane, Dennis   World Gone By
93   03/25/17   Jackson, David   A Tapping At My Door
94   03/26/17   Matheson, Richard   Button, Button
95   03/28/17   Garton, Ray   Crucifax
96   03/29/17   Nelson, John   i, Human
97   03/30/17   Parks, Brad   Say Nothing
98   03/31/17   Franze, Anthony   The Outsider
99   04/01/17   Perry, Thomas   The Old Man
100   04/02/17   Tinti, Hannah   The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #322 on: April 02, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »
I won't make it to 50, but I like sharing what I'm reading. This year is off to a particularly good start. I've loved everything I've read so far:   
  • An Untamed State (Gay)
    Dangerous Women (Gay)
    The Name of the Wind (Rothfuss)
    Homegoing (Gyasi)
    The Wise Man's Fear (Rothfuss)
    Russian Winter (Kalotay)

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #323 on: April 03, 2017, 10:55:40 AM »

16. Home by Harlan Coben

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #324 on: April 03, 2017, 11:17:17 AM »
I won't make it to 50, but I like sharing what I'm reading. This year is off to a particularly good start. I've loved everything I've read so far:   
  • An Untamed State (Gay)
    Dangerous Women (Gay)
    The Name of the Wind (Rothfuss)
    Homegoing (Gyasi)
    The Wise Man's Fear (Rothfuss)
    Russian Winter (Kalotay)

The Rothfuss books would probably count for double if we were going by pages. ;)

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2017, 06:38:46 PM »
21. The Star Dwellers by David Estes (Dwellers #2)

Currently reading The Sun Dwellers by David Estes

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #326 on: April 03, 2017, 10:36:30 PM »
#7 Dear Debt: A Story About Breaking Up With Debt by Melanie Lockert <=quick read. much liked it. just wish Melanie went a bit more in depth with her own story of climbing out of 81K of debt.

#8 Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping by Judith Levine

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #327 on: April 04, 2017, 08:32:11 AM »
12. We Should All Be Feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Is this based on her TED talk? I did know that it has a book now!! How did you find it?

Yes, it is. I saw that my library had it, so I put it on hold, not really knowing much about it. I actually expected it to be a larger book, but it was quite short. More of a single essay in book form.

I'd also really recommend "Men Explain Things to Me" by Rebecca Solnit & "Shrill: Notes From a Loud Woman" by Lindy West if you are into essays w/ a feminist perspective. They're both great essay collections.
Thanks allsummerlong.

Abooki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #328 on: April 04, 2017, 10:32:12 AM »
1."Ain't I A Woman: Black Women and Feminism"  - Bell Hooks
2."Early Retirement Extreme: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Financial Independence" - Jacob Lund Fisker
3. "Men Explain Things to Me" -Rebecca Solnit
4."Shrill: Notes From a Loud Woman" -Lindy West
5. "Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions" - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
6. "Negroland: A Memoir" -  Margo Jefferson
7. "1984" - George Orwell
8."The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom" - Don Miguel Ruiz, Janet Mills
9."All About Love" - Bell Hooks
10. "Naked Economics" - Charles Wheelan
11."Naked Statistics"- Charles Wheelan

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #329 on: April 06, 2017, 08:04:58 PM »
21.  Keith McCafferty, The Royal Wulff Murders
22.  Will Schwalbe, The End of Your Life Book Club
23.  Keith McCafferty, The Gray Ghost Murders
24.  Georgette Heyer, Frederica
25.  Lily Koppel, The Red Leather Diary:  Reclaiming a Life Through the Pages of a Lost Journal

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #330 on: April 07, 2017, 03:49:04 PM »
1. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (excellent; page-turning, memorable, couldn't wait to get back to reading when I had to put it down)
2. Lab Girl by Hope Jahren (one of the best memoirs I've read in a while. Also incidentally learned a lot about trees)
3. Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (eh. Good info, but could've been condensed to about 1/3 the length)
4. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
5. When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
6.The Gene: An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee (40% finished; loan expired)
7. You are Not So Smart by David McRaney - made it about 40% through this book before giving up. It's geared towards people who know nothing about psychology/research methods. I skimmed the table of contents and realized I wasn't missing much.
8. Black Water by Louise Doughty
9. A Criminal Defense by William Myers, Jr. (Kindle First book - I was pleasantly surprised. Much better than other Kindle First books I've tried)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #331 on: April 08, 2017, 02:46:01 AM »
1. How to stay de-junked forever by Dawna Walter (1/1/17)
2. The Chemistry of Tears by Peter Carey (6/1/17)
3. Spark Joy by Marie Kondo (20/1/17)
4. The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (28/1/17) I had so many epiphanies reading this :)
5. Superfreakonomics by Steven D Levitt & Stephen J Dubner (19/2/17)
6. The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene (25/2/17)

In progress still: George Orwell: The Observer Years.

I need to pick a light hearted novel next because The Heart of the Matter was a pretty dark read. Not only does the author allow you to feel the draining conditions in the tropics (heat, humidity, biting insects, decay) he also throws in a whole heap of religious guilt, death and misery. Fun!

7. The Listerdale Mystery by Agatha Christie (short stories) - silly, light 1930s mysteries to get me back on the wagon. Contained a surprising number of couples agreeing to marry on the day they meet!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #332 on: April 08, 2017, 03:44:32 PM »
1. A Blistered Kind of Love by Angela and Duffy Ballard (1/11)
2. Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance (1/19)
3. Flood by Stephen Baxter (1/23)
4. A Murder in Time by Julie McElwain (1/29)
5. Cyberstorm by Matthew Mather (2/1)
6. Doing Good Better by Will MacAskill (2/9)
7. Ark by Stephen Baxter (2/15)
8. This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (2/15)
9. On the Beach by Nevil Shute (2/25)
10. The Circle by Dave Eggers (3/6)
11. How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid (3/9)
12. Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari (3/10)
13. The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman (3/20)
14. The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman (3/29)
15. Proxima by Stephen Baxter (4/1)
16. The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman (4/8)

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #333 on: April 09, 2017, 01:01:50 PM »
16. Home by Harlan Coben

17. Stay Close by Harlan Coben

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #334 on: April 09, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »
I'm in, I expect I'll get past 100 for the year, lots of downtime at work.

1. When nobody was watching: my hard-fought journey to the top of the soccer world - Carli Llyod
2. Solo, A Memoir of Hope - Hope Solo
3. The Alchemist - Paul Coelho
4. Go Set a Watchmen - Harper Lee
5. Silence Fallen - Patricia Briggs
6. Closer to Home - Rachel Spangler
7. Scrappy Little Nobody - Anna Kendrick
8. Mine - Georgia Beers
9. Perfect Pairing - Rachel Spangler
10. Solve for i - A E Dooland
11. An infatuation - Jennifer Lyndon
12. The Gender Game - Bella Forrest
13. Chef's special - Susan x Meagher
14. Born out of Wedlock - Lynn Gardner
15. Tell me again how a crush should feel - Sara Farizan
16. Main Dish - J.A. Armstrong
17. No Strings attached - Harper Bliss
18. Talking as fast as I can - Lauren Graham
19. We Should all be Feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Reading:

20. The Magnolia Story - Chip & Johanna Gaines
21. Yes, Please - Amy Poehler

TBR:
22. Americanah - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
23. The Chemist - Stephanie Meyer
24. The Boy is Back - Meg Cabot
25. My Not so Perfect Life  - Sophie Kinsella
26. Echoes in Death - JD Robb
27. Ink and Bone - Rachel Caine
28. Miranda and Caliban - Jacqueline Carey
29. Crimson Death - Laurell K. Hamilton
30. Between the world and me - Ta-Nehisi Coates
31. Death's Mistress: Sister of Darkness: the Nicci Chronicles - Terry Goodkind
32. Someday, Someday, Maybe - Lauren Graham
33. A vision of fire - Gillian Anderson

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #335 on: April 10, 2017, 09:07:07 AM »
3. Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #336 on: April 10, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »
22. The Sun Dwellers by David Estes (Dwellers #3)

Currently reading The Time Traveler's Wife (again). There's another book in my Dwellers series I could read, but honestly I haven't been super into the series so I'm not sure I care to see how it ends.

HattyT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #337 on: April 10, 2017, 08:20:18 PM »
I'm still reading!!

15.      4/10   Hillbilly Elegy   
14.       4/6   Born a Crime, Trevor Noah      
13.       4/4   In Other Words   
12.       3/30   The Lab girl, Hope Jarren
11.       3/20   True tales of Love and Lust
10.       3/15   SweetBitter

I'm in!

2/22         Here comes the sun, novel Nicole Dennis benn  (didn't finish)
2/13         The Underground Railroad / Colson Whitehead
2/9         Will I Ever be Good Enough, Karyl McBride
2/5         Freedom over me   
2/2         Patience, Daniel Clowes
1/28      Spill Simmer falter wither
1/17      Addlands, (didn't finish)
1/15      Thomas Jefferson dreams of Sally Hemings  (read 3/4)
1/5        Hidden Figures

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #338 on: April 12, 2017, 01:44:33 AM »
16. Ransom (Lois Duncan)
21. I Was the Cat (Tobin & Dewey)

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #339 on: April 12, 2017, 12:41:47 PM »
16. Home by Harlan Coben

18. Eleventh Hour by Catherine Coulter

icegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #340 on: April 16, 2017, 09:57:48 AM »
Ok I'm trying this but not sure I will get to 50...

One of my New Years resolutions was to read before bed instead of watching Netflix. I've been on a "chick-book" kick lately, as is apparent from my list.

1. A lot like love by Julie James
2. Something about you by Julie James
3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
4. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
5. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
6. About that Night by Julie James
7. Just the Sexiest Man Live by Julie James
8. Bet Me by Jennifer Cruise
9. The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks
10. The Gender Game by Bella Forrest
11. The Gender Secret by Bella Forrest
12. The Gender Lie by Bella Forrest

I think I will finish this Gender-Series, which I am enjoying and then start reading something in Icelandic (mothertounge) or Danish (live there) since I have only been reading in English lately.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #341 on: April 16, 2017, 10:37:10 AM »
1. The Party (Christopher Pike)
2. The Dance (Christopher Pike)
3. The Graduation (Christopher Pike)
16. Ransom (Lois Duncan)
21. I Was the Cat (Tobin & Dewey)
22. Vacationers (Emma Straub)

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #342 on: April 16, 2017, 05:55:41 PM »
I'm in! Moving to within a stone's throw of our local public library in a couple of months, so hopefully I can stay on the wagon since I'll have no excuses!

No standard format it appears, so I guess I'll just post what I'm currently reading?

1. Building Construction Before Mechanization - John Fitchen

Updating with a hefty list, sorry I've been so busy I haven't been back to check in! Here we go:

2. Do-It-Yourself Hedge Funds, by Wayne P. Weddington III
3. The Rational Optimist, by Matt Ridley
4. The Investor’s Manifesto, by William J. Bernstein
5. The Affluent Investor, by Phil DeMuth, Ph.D.
6. An Embarrassment of Riches, by Alexander Green
7. Wealth Secrets of the Affluent: Keys to Fortune Building and Asset Protection, by Christopher Jarvis and David Mandell
8. Basic Elements of Landscape Architectural Design, by Norman K. Booth (read it cover to cover while preparing for a test, that counts right?!)
9. In The Company of Stone: The Art of the Stone Wall, by Dan Snow
10. The Art and Craft of Stonework, by David Reed
11. The Complete Tightwad Gazette, by Amy Dacyczyn

Working on Awaken the Giant Within, by Tony Robbins. Will check in when that's done. Also queued up - A Game of Thrones (George R.R. Martin), Zero to One (Peter Thiel), and a few others I have checked out of the library at the moment.

Happy page turning, all!

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #343 on: April 17, 2017, 05:19:37 AM »
PopSugar 2017 Challenge:.
1. A book with a subtitle: Waiting:  The True Confessions of a Waitress (Debra Ginsberg)
2. A book that's more than 800 pages: A Dance with Dragons (George R.R. Martin)
3. The first book in a series you haven't read before: A Darker Shade of Magic (Victoria Schwab)
4. A book with an unreliable narrator: The Girl on the Train (Paula Hawkins)
5. A book with an eccentric character: Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk)
6. A book with a cat on the cover: Dr. Sleep   (Stephen King)
7. An audiobook: The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business (Charles Duhigg)
8. A bestseller from 2016: A Gathering of Shadows (Victoria Schwab)

Definitely behind schedule, but Dance with Dragons took forever.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #344 on: April 17, 2017, 05:37:59 AM »
I think I'll join in. If my Goodreads is accurate, I'm up to 26 read so far this year. I'll have to list them when I'm on a computer and not using a touchscreen. :)

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #345 on: April 17, 2017, 06:42:14 AM »
22. The Sun Dwellers by David Estes (Dwellers #3)
23. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
24. The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Thinking I'll go ahead and read The Amber Spyglass next to finish off that series.

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #346 on: April 17, 2017, 07:21:16 AM »
1)No Place to hide - Susan Lewis
2) And the mountains echoed - Khaled Hosseini
3) Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone - JK Rowling (Bracken_Joys fault!)
4) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling (Bracken_Joys fault! - 1 mention of Harry and I am doomed - what do you mean did I cook - no I was Reading Harry Potter!!!)
5) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - JK Rowling
6) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling
7) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - JK Rowling
8) Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - JK Rowling
9) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - JK Rowling
10) Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
11) Hostage - Paul and Rachel Chandler
12) Wild - Cheryl Strayed
13) HRH - Danielle Steel
14) Family Ties - Danielle Steel

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #347 on: April 18, 2017, 08:00:02 AM »
16. Home by Harlan Coben
18. Eleventh Hour by Catherine Coulter

19. Insidious by Catherine Coulter

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #348 on: April 18, 2017, 08:47:16 AM »
18. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Overflow

• Stubble
« Reply #349 on: April 18, 2017, 09:14:49 AM »
I will jump in with where i am at. My goal is 40 books there year (read 35 in 2016).

1. The Churchhill Factor, Boris Johnson
2. Building Wealth One House at a Time, John Schaub
3. Shoe Dog, Phil Knight
4. Gospel, JD Greer
5. Trayvane, Robert Ludlum
6. Leaders Eat Last, Simon Sinek
7. Essentialism (for the 3rd time), Greg McKeown (50%)
8. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (35%, first time I have ever picked up these books...)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!