Author Topic: 50 Books in 2017!  (Read 131191 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: 50 Books in 2017!
« Reply #250 on: March 01, 2017, 12:18:01 PM »
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone- 1/5/17
2. Essentialism- 50%
3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets- 1/9/17
4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- 1/16/17
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire -2/6/17
6. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child- 2/8/17
7. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix- 2/24/17

8. Geography of Bliss- 15%

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #251 on: March 01, 2017, 01:48:13 PM »

1. The Box by Marc Levinson- 1/15/17
2. The Theft by Swords by Michael J Sullivan- 1/19/17
3. Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell- 1/25/17
4. Elantris by Brandon Sanderson- 1/25/17
5. Wild by Cheryl Strayed- 1/27/17
6. Means of Ascent by Robert Caro- 2-8-17
7. Merchants of Doubt by Naomi Oreskes- 2-10-17
8. Everybody Behaves Badly- 2/12/17
9. A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan- 2/16/17
10. Linchpin by Seth Godin- 2/16/17
11. No Man's Land by Aasif Mandvi- I think 2/17/17?
12. Write to Die by Charles Rosenberg

13. Night Bird by Freeman -2/23/17
14. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly- 2/25/17
15. Gunmetal Gray by Mark Grealey- 2/28/17

ahptex

• Stubble
« Reply #252 on: March 01, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
So far for 2017:

(1) Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave
(2) Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
(3) The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick
(4) A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
(5)The Association of Small Bombs by Karan Mahajan
(6) 1984 by George Orwell
(7) The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

(8) Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #253 on: March 02, 2017, 06:37:32 AM »
1. Rose: My Life in Service to Lady Astor by Rosina Harrison
2. The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Maze Runner #1)
3. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
4. The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (Maze Runner #2)
5. The Death Cure by James Dashner (Maze Runner #3)
6. Welcome to the World, Baby Girl by Fannie Flagg (Elmwood Springs #1)
7. Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse #11)
8. Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg (Elmwood Springs #2)
9. Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse #12)
10. Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse #13)
11. A Touch of Dead by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse Short Stories)
12. Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg (Elmwood Springs #3)
13. The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman (His Dark Materials #1)
14. More Than This by Jay McLean (More Than #1)
15. More Than Her by Jay McLean (More Than #2)

jedsbud

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #254 on: March 03, 2017, 06:24:08 AM »

1   The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life    Collins, J.L.   1/2/2017
2   Bill O'Reilly's Legends and Lies: The Patriots    Fisher, David   1/4/2017
3   I Am Legend    Matheson, Richard   1/9/2017
4   But What If We're Wrong? Thinking About the Present As If It Were the Past    Klosterman, Chuck   1/10/2017
5   Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging    Sebastian Junger *   1/11/2017
6   Before the Fall    Hawley, Noah *   1/18/2017
7   White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America    Isenberg, Nancy   1/26/2017
8   Dark Matter    Crouch, Blake *   1/31/2017
9   Seveneves   Stephenson, Neal   25%
10   Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right   Mayer, Jane   25%

Ahead of schedule for January.

9   Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right   Mayer, Jane   2/9/2017
10   The Rise and Fall of Nations   Sharma, Ruchir   2/18/2017
11   Stop Acting Rich…and Start Living Like a Real Millionaire   Stanely, Thomas J   2/23/2017
12   Seveneves   Stephenson, Neal   2/25/2017
13   The Woman in Cabin 10   Ware, Ruth   2/28/2017
14   The Fifth Season   Jemisin, N. K.   25%
15   Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban   Rowling, J. K.   25%

5 books ahead of schedule, but slowed in February. 

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #255 on: March 03, 2017, 06:50:00 AM »
1. Fasting by Jentezen Franklin
2. The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King
3. The Eleventh Commandment by Jeffrey Archer
4. From Russia with Love by Ian Fleming
5. The Whistler by John Grisham
6. A measure of endurance: the unlikely Triumph of Steven Sharp by William Mishler
7. Unlucky 13 by James Patterson & Maxine Paetero
8. The couple next door by Sheri Lapena
9. The Gift by Louise Jensen
10. The Brethren by John Grisham

11. Bullseye by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #256 on: March 03, 2017, 08:00:02 AM »
This is a great idea! I know I definitely want to read more than last year.

1. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (excellent; page-turning, memorable, couldn't wait to get back to reading when I had to put it down)
2. Lab Girl by Hope Jahren (one of the best memoirs I've read in a while. Also incidentally learned a lot about trees)
3. Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (eh. Good info, but could've been condensed to about 1/3 the length)

4. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
5. When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

Oy. It's been a long time since I've updated. I was stuck on The Gene for a while, but then my Kindle loan expired & I made the mistake of turning Wifi on. I'll have to check it out again.

6.The Gene: An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee (40% finished; loan expired)
7. You are Not So Smart by David McRaney - made it about 40% through this book before giving up. It's geared towards people who know nothing about psychology/research methods. I skimmed the table of contents and realized I wasn't missing much.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2017, 08:05:14 AM »
I know it's mega popular right now, but I'm impressed that we have three!! people on this page alone who read Spark Joy. I finished it about two weeks ago as well. I definitely think there's an aspect of caring for the possessions you own, cherishing/recognizing their importance in your life (and how useful they are to you!) that fits in well with a frugal mindset.

One tip I found very quirky but endearing—she suggests putting small trinkets and charming little objects you've saved up over the years and hiding them in small storage corners, like inside a drawer of clothes, so they can give you joy in these secret places when you open them. As someone who delights in saving particularly beautiful tins of tea or cookies or whatnot, it's nice to find a whimsical "utility" to them in my life.

That...actually sounds like a great use for trinkets! I have a bunch that I can never figure out what to do with. I read Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and felt like it could have been 2/3 shorter so I have no desire to read the sequel; but I may now be motivated to go find a summary online ;)

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #258 on: March 03, 2017, 12:40:46 PM »
Just figured I'd throw it out for anyone who's interested that there is currently a Groupon deal for 60 days of Kindle Unlimited for free. I don't have a Kindle, but I have the app on my phone. I "purchased" the Groupon and then put the voucher code into Amazon and "bought" Kindle Unlimited for free. It does require your credit card, so make sure you write down the last free date for your Unlimited subscription so you don't get charged the $9.99/mo. I've already downloaded several books to read, though one of my coworkers did tell me that you don't get to keep the downloaded books once your subscription expires.

For anyone who enjoys audiobooks, Amazon Prime now has a partnership with Audible offering some free "channels" (similar to podcasts) and a number of free audiobooks as well. I may be behind the curve on knowing about that one but I was excited to discover that today.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #259 on: March 03, 2017, 12:49:30 PM »

1. Tricky Twenty-Two - Janet Evanovich
2. The Magician's Elephant - Kate DiCamillo
3. Wife for Hire - Janet Evanovich
4. The Simple Path to Wealth - J. L. Collins
5. Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. Maas
6. The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes - Diane Chamberlain
7. Heir of Fire - Sarah J. Maas

8. Queen of Shadows - Sarah J. Maas

Currently reading:

Bait and Switch - Barbara Ehrenreich (audiobook)
The Omnivore's Dilemma - Michael Pollan
When Everything Changed:  the Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present - Gail Collins
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - J.K. Rowling

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: March 03, 2017, 02:44:45 PM »
Love Your Life Not Theirs by Rachel Cruze & Retire Inspired by Chris Hogan --> MEH to both, although Hogan is a much better writer of the two.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #261 on: March 04, 2017, 07:32:40 PM »
16. The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman (His Dark Materials #2)

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #262 on: March 04, 2017, 08:36:30 PM »
17.  Vannetta Chapman, The Christmas Quilt
18.  Lisa Genova, Still Alice

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #263 on: March 05, 2017, 12:04:34 PM »
1. Until the End book 1- The Party (Christopher Pike)
2. Until the End book 2- The Dance (Christopher Pike)
3. Until the End book 3- The Graduation (Christopher Pike)
4. The Bookseller (Cynthia Swanson)
Pretty interesting. About two alternate lives of a woman in early 1960's.
5. Die Softly (Christopher Pike)
6. Down a Dark Hall (Lois Duncan)
7. Great Expectations (Charles Dickens)
8. Stranger With My Face (Lois Duncan)
9. So Pretty It Hurts (Kate White)
10. A Body To Die For (Kate White)
11. Locked In Time. (Lois Duncan)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: March 06, 2017, 05:29:36 AM »
1. Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel (excellent)
2. The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory (average)
3. The Boleyn Inheritance by Phillipa Gregory (blergh)
4. Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (blergh)
5. Ghost Story by Jim Butcher (awesome)
6. Cold Days by Jim Butcher (enjoyable)
7. Skin Game by Jim Butcher (enjoyable)
8. Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher (enjoyable)

9. Cursor's Fury by Jim Butcher

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: March 06, 2017, 07:08:00 PM »
1. A Blistered Kind of Love by Angela and Duffy Ballard (1/11)
2. Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance (1/19)
3. Flood by Stephen Baxter (1/23)
4. A Murder in Time by Julie McElwain (1/29)
5. Cyberstorm by Matthew Mather (2/1)
6. Doing Good Better by Will MacAskill (2/9)
7. Ark by Stephen Baxter (2/15)
8. This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (2/15)
9. On the Beach by Nevil Shute (2/25)
10. The Circle by Dave Eggers (3/6)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #266 on: March 07, 2017, 09:28:04 AM »
11. Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: March 08, 2017, 01:51:42 PM »
2. Essentialism- 50%
8. Geography of Bliss- 3/8/17

9. The Girl on the Train- 0%

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #268 on: March 08, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »

God I used to love Christopher Pike books. I bought every single neon colored copy as they came out every six months! I also think "until the end" used to be called "The Final Friends Trilogy." If you are going on a Pike binge I totally recommend "Remember Me" (burt not its sequels) and "Whisper of Death."
Yes, I loved as a kid as well! Have been rereading some, as well as others I hadn't. Really enjoying doing this.
I read the 2 you mentioned- actually were my favorites! Have reread both many times.
Is there another author you find comparable?

Lois Duncan in general and "Down a Dark Hall" in particular.
Thanks again for the recommendation,  I am really enjoying reading her work. I read Down a Dark Hall, Stranger With My Face,  and Locked in Time. I will begin I Know What You Did Last Summer next. Locked in Time was excellent I thought.
Lois Duncan's books are in a way better written I think,  less cheesy, less plot holes...

Libertea

• Bristles
Re: 100 Books in 2017!
« Reply #269 on: March 09, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »
I'm doubling the goal.  Posting books I have finished as I finish them along with a brief review/blurb.

1) 17/01/01 - Assholes: A Theory (Aaron James): philosophical treatise about what it means for someone to be an asshole and how we can deal with them
2) 17/01/01 - Assholes: A Theory of Donald Trump (same author): sequel to the prior book, subject obvious
3) 17/01/02 - The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho): I may be the only person on this forum who didn't like this book, but it's supposed to be an allegory about following your dreams.  I appreciate that aspect of it, but I find the whole New Age mumbo jumbo to be a bit over the top.
4) 17/01/04 - Spaceman (Mike Massimino): Hubble telescope spacewalking astronaut's memoirs
5) 17/01/06 - Luna: New Moon (Ian McDonald): sci-fi dystopia played out on the moon in a feudal society (complete with warring great families); ends with a cliffhanger and sequel due out in March
6) 17/01/07 - The Art of Sleeping Alone (Sophie Fontanel): French writer's memoir about the years when she gave up relationships/sex.  Not as enlightening (or even as scandalous) as I would have hoped, but occasionally surprisingly humorous.
7) 17/01/07 - On Bullshit (Harry Frankfurt): philosophical treatise on bullshit, the inspiration for James's treatises on assholes (cited above).  At 67 pages, really more of an essay than a book, but published in book form.
8) 17/01/08 - A Deeper Love Inside (Sister Souljah): sequel to The Coldest Winter Ever, Souljah's novel about ghetto life in NYC.  Silly, unrealistic ending, but Winter's younger sister Porsche is a much more interesting and sympathetic main character than Winter.
9) 17/01/08 - Good Morning, Midnight (Lily Brooks-Dalton): if you're a sci fi fan, all I can say is, wow.  You should read this book.  Loneliness and the myriad connections between an astronomer and an astronaut who unexpectedly and inexplicably find themselves to be two of the last people on or off the earth.
10) 17/01/10 - Dragons of Summer Flame (Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman): last of the Dragonlance series that follows the fates of both the original generation and the second generation (should be read after the original Dragonlance series and after The Second Generation, since it builds on all of those stories).
11) 17/01/15 - Join (Steve Toutonghi): strange, disturbing sci fi novel raising questions about the nature of what it means to be human and mortal in an era where technology makes it possible to combine one's psyche with those of others into a group psyche
12) 17/01/17 - Men We Reaped (Jesmyn Ward): memoir of a black woman growing up impoverished in rural Mississippi, focusing specifically on the many black men she knew (including her brother) who died young due to drugs or accidents.  It's hard for me to explain why, but I came away from this book feeling annoyed with the author (who also had a drug problem with alcohol), not sympathetic.
13) 17/01/21 - The Girl Who Wrote in Silk (Kelli Estes): loosely historical mystery novel based on history of Chinese immigration to and expulsion from Washington Territory (later Washington State).  Initially slow going and took time to get into, but worth the effort.
14) 17/01/28 - The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion (Fannie Flagg): this is actually a re-read, but just as good the second time as the first.  By the same author who wrote "Fried Green Tomatoes," with similar style and theme (older woman telling her life story to a middle-aged present-day woman trying to find herself)
15) 17/01/29 - Hillbilly Elegy (JD Vance): family memoir of a KY "hillbilly" and how he ended up successfully graduating from Yale Law School.  I read this at the rec of several people on this site who were wanting to use it to try to understand why so many people voted for Trump.  Not sure it provides much in the way of help along those lines, but it was an interesting book nonetheless, and well written.
16) 17/02/07 - Bait and Switch (Barbara Ehrenreich): this is the sequel to "Nickel and Dimed," her book about blue collar workers.  B&S describes the trials and travails of laid-off white collar workers.  The author is really pretty hilarious, but I think this book could have been so much more if she had questioned the premise of whether entering the white collar corporate world was worthwhile in the first place (she doesn't).
17) 17/02/17 - America: Imagine A World Without Her (Dinesh D'Souza): book based on his documentary of the same name (or maybe the book came first?  I'm not sure.)  Offers a counter to the prevailing progressive view of the US as a colonial power that "steals" from the little guys and gals.  He's a little too rah rah pro Christianity, but otherwise I liked the book.
18) 17/02/17 - Night of the Animals (Bill Broun): ok, I really like sci fi and fantasy, but this was a totally out there, cultist dystopian future novel mainly told from the perspective of an unreliable nonagenarian drug addict narrator.  I'm still not sure if I liked it.  It was just....weird.
19) 17/02/25 - Calling Me Home (Julie Kibler): novel about a white girl and a black boy who fall in love in 1930s Kentucky with predictably bad results, alternating with a modern day story about the developing friendship between the same (now elderly) white woman and a young black woman.  Very sad book and a bit cliche at times, but overall a good read.
20) 17/03/09 - Striking Back (Aaron Klein): history of the Munich Olympic Massacre of Israeli athletes in 1972 and the subsequent assassination campaign of Palestinian operatives carried out by the Israeli Mossad.  The book got a bit dry and slow in places, but the descriptions of various commando actions like Operation Spring of Youth were almost like they were out of the plot of an action movie.
21) 17/03/09 - Venomous (Christie Wilcox): describes the mechanisms, evolution, research, and medical applications of various animal venoms.  The author is a venom biologist (a toxinologist).  This is a really cool and interesting book.  I checked it out from the library, but I'm actually considering buying a copy because it's one that I can see myself wanting to re-read in the future.
22) 17/03/09 - Unworking (Clark Vandeventer) - I think I heard about this book here on MMM.  The author is a proponent of lifestyle optimization (from the genre of Tim Ferris, minus the virtual assistants). This is his memoir of how he quit the rat race and took on what he calls "patchwork income" to be able to have his ideal lifestyle (mainly being a ski bum and family man) right now, rather than having to wait until he accumulated a big enough stash to retire.

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #270 on: March 09, 2017, 02:01:38 PM »
6. A measure of endurance: the unlikely Triumph of Steven Sharp by William Mishler

12. Vanished by Joseph Finder

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: March 09, 2017, 05:57:45 PM »
11. How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid (3/9)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #272 on: March 10, 2017, 01:46:59 AM »
12. I Know what you did last summer (Lois Duncan)

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #273 on: March 10, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »
17. Wool by Hugh Howey

Currently reading Slumdog Millionaire by Vikas Swarup

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: March 10, 2017, 06:27:15 PM »
12. Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari (3/10)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #275 on: March 10, 2017, 11:27:13 PM »
13. Summer of Fear (Lois Duncan)

ahptex

• Stubble
« Reply #276 on: March 11, 2017, 10:58:11 AM »

So far for 2017:

(9) The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
(10) The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #277 on: March 12, 2017, 09:43:16 AM »
19.  Amanda Quick, Otherwise Engaged
20.  David Krugler, The Dead Don't Bleed

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #278 on: March 12, 2017, 11:41:50 AM »
14. Paris in Love (Eloisa James)

Libertea

• Bristles
Re: 100 Books in 2017!
« Reply #279 on: March 12, 2017, 06:31:44 PM »
I'm doubling the goal.  Posting books I have finished as I finish them along with a brief review/blurb.

1) 17/01/01 - Assholes: A Theory (Aaron James): philosophical treatise about what it means for someone to be an asshole and how we can deal with them
2) 17/01/01 - Assholes: A Theory of Donald Trump (same author): sequel to the prior book, subject obvious
3) 17/01/02 - The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho): I may be the only person on this forum who didn't like this book, but it's supposed to be an allegory about following your dreams.  I appreciate that aspect of it, but I find the whole New Age mumbo jumbo to be a bit over the top.
4) 17/01/04 - Spaceman (Mike Massimino): Hubble telescope spacewalking astronaut's memoirs
5) 17/01/06 - Luna: New Moon (Ian McDonald): sci-fi dystopia played out on the moon in a feudal society (complete with warring great families); ends with a cliffhanger and sequel due out in March
6) 17/01/07 - The Art of Sleeping Alone (Sophie Fontanel): French writer's memoir about the years when she gave up relationships/sex.  Not as enlightening (or even as scandalous) as I would have hoped, but occasionally surprisingly humorous.
7) 17/01/07 - On Bullshit (Harry Frankfurt): philosophical treatise on bullshit, the inspiration for James's treatises on assholes (cited above).  At 67 pages, really more of an essay than a book, but published in book form.
8) 17/01/08 - A Deeper Love Inside (Sister Souljah): sequel to The Coldest Winter Ever, Souljah's novel about ghetto life in NYC.  Silly, unrealistic ending, but Winter's younger sister Porsche is a much more interesting and sympathetic main character than Winter.
9) 17/01/08 - Good Morning, Midnight (Lily Brooks-Dalton): if you're a sci fi fan, all I can say is, wow.  You should read this book.  Loneliness and the myriad connections between an astronomer and an astronaut who unexpectedly and inexplicably find themselves to be two of the last people on or off the earth.
10) 17/01/10 - Dragons of Summer Flame (Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman): last of the Dragonlance series that follows the fates of both the original generation and the second generation (should be read after the original Dragonlance series and after The Second Generation, since it builds on all of those stories).
11) 17/01/15 - Join (Steve Toutonghi): strange, disturbing sci fi novel raising questions about the nature of what it means to be human and mortal in an era where technology makes it possible to combine one's psyche with those of others into a group psyche
12) 17/01/17 - Men We Reaped (Jesmyn Ward): memoir of a black woman growing up impoverished in rural Mississippi, focusing specifically on the many black men she knew (including her brother) who died young due to drugs or accidents.  It's hard for me to explain why, but I came away from this book feeling annoyed with the author (who also had a drug problem with alcohol), not sympathetic.
13) 17/01/21 - The Girl Who Wrote in Silk (Kelli Estes): loosely historical mystery novel based on history of Chinese immigration to and expulsion from Washington Territory (later Washington State).  Initially slow going and took time to get into, but worth the effort.
14) 17/01/28 - The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion (Fannie Flagg): this is actually a re-read, but just as good the second time as the first.  By the same author who wrote "Fried Green Tomatoes," with similar style and theme (older woman telling her life story to a middle-aged present-day woman trying to find herself)
15) 17/01/29 - Hillbilly Elegy (JD Vance): family memoir of a KY "hillbilly" and how he ended up successfully graduating from Yale Law School.  I read this at the rec of several people on this site who were wanting to use it to try to understand why so many people voted for Trump.  Not sure it provides much in the way of help along those lines, but it was an interesting book nonetheless, and well written.
16) 17/02/07 - Bait and Switch (Barbara Ehrenreich): this is the sequel to "Nickel and Dimed," her book about blue collar workers.  B&S describes the trials and travails of laid-off white collar workers.  The author is really pretty hilarious, but I think this book could have been so much more if she had questioned the premise of whether entering the white collar corporate world was worthwhile in the first place (she doesn't).
17) 17/02/17 - America: Imagine A World Without Her (Dinesh D'Souza): book based on his documentary of the same name (or maybe the book came first?  I'm not sure.)  Offers a counter to the prevailing progressive view of the US as a colonial power that "steals" from the little guys and gals.  He's a little too rah rah pro Christianity, but otherwise I liked the book.
18) 17/02/17 - Night of the Animals (Bill Broun): ok, I really like sci fi and fantasy, but this was a totally out there, cultist dystopian future novel mainly told from the perspective of an unreliable nonagenarian drug addict narrator.  I'm still not sure if I liked it.  It was just....weird.
19) 17/02/25 - Calling Me Home (Julie Kibler): novel about a white girl and a black boy who fall in love in 1930s Kentucky with predictably bad results, alternating with a modern day story about the developing friendship between the same (now elderly) white woman and a young black woman.  Very sad book and a bit cliche at times, but overall a good read.
20) 17/03/09 - Striking Back (Aaron Klein): history of the Munich Olympic Massacre of Israeli athletes in 1972 and the subsequent assassination campaign of Palestinian operatives carried out by the Israeli Mossad.  The book got a bit dry and slow in places, but the descriptions of various commando actions like Operation Spring of Youth were almost like they were out of the plot of an action movie.
21) 17/03/09 - Venomous (Christie Wilcox): describes the mechanisms, evolution, research, and medical applications of various animal venoms.  The author is a venom biologist (a toxinologist).  This is a really cool and interesting book.  I checked it out from the library, but I'm actually considering buying a copy because it's one that I can see myself wanting to re-read in the future.
22) 17/03/09 - Unworking (Clark Vandeventer) - I think I heard about this book here on MMM.  The author is a proponent of lifestyle optimization (from the genre of Tim Ferris, minus the virtual assistants). This is his memoir of how he quit the rat race and took on what he calls "patchwork income" to be able to have his ideal lifestyle (mainly being a ski bum and family man) right now, rather than having to wait until he accumulated a big enough stash to retire.
23) 17/03/12 - Saving Sophie (Ronald Balson) - sequel to "Once We Were Brothers," with several of the same characters along with some new ones.  Kind of a cross between "Not Without My Daughter" and a crime intrigue worthy of John Grisham.  What can I say, except this novel was a page-turner, and even better than the first book.  Highly recommend. 

ahptex

• Stubble
« Reply #280 on: March 13, 2017, 08:59:38 AM »

(11) Maddaddam by Margaret Atwood
(12) Animal Farm by George Orwell

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2017, 09:05:41 AM »

I'm sensing a theme to your books this year...

How did you like Margaret Atwood's books? I've only read The Handmaid's Tale, but love it.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2017, 09:33:37 AM »
Well I guess the upside to being sick is getting caught up on some reading.

12. Collapse by Jared Diamond
13. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #283 on: March 14, 2017, 12:28:00 PM »
12. Vanished by Joseph Finder

13. The Girls He Adored by Jonathan Nasaw

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #284 on: March 15, 2017, 12:43:42 PM »
17. Wool by Hugh Howey (Silo #1)
18. Shift by Hugh Howey (Silo #2)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #285 on: March 15, 2017, 01:36:02 PM »
Ive found that Loi Duncan 'modernized' her literature a few yrs back. I didnt realize this until a novel mentioned cellphones. 
Of the 6 I've read so far, only one was the origional version,  which was notably dated (was originally written in the 70's). I loved the authenicity of the original- the other novels seemed a bit dated themselves,  if not for mention of laptops and cellphones. Disappointed by this revelation, but as a library enthusiast I take what I can get. And obviously I am still finding the books to be enjoyable enough despite this.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #286 on: March 15, 2017, 01:37:37 PM »
15. Daughters of Eve (Lois Duncan)

ahptex

• Stubble
« Reply #287 on: March 15, 2017, 09:58:43 PM »

I'm sensing a theme to your books this year...

How did you like Margaret Atwood's books? I've only read The Handmaid's Tale, but love it.

Yes, a definite theme!  I've been on a bit of a dystopian binge lately. 

I did like Margaret Atwood's other books.  I hadn't read any of her other works, so I thought I'd try them.  They are a trilogy, so once I got started, the books were good enough that I had to finish the trilogy.  You probably would like them since you liked The Handmaid's Tale.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #288 on: March 16, 2017, 08:40:14 AM »
2. Essentialism- 50%
8. Geography of Bliss- 3/8/17

9. The Girl on the Train- 3/15/17
10. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince- 0%

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #289 on: March 16, 2017, 11:17:05 AM »

Yes, a definite theme!  I've been on a bit of a dystopian binge lately. 

I did like Margaret Atwood's other books.  I hadn't read any of her other works, so I thought I'd try them.  They are a trilogy, so once I got started, the books were good enough that I had to finish the trilogy.  You probably would like them since you liked The Handmaid's Tale.

Good to know! I'm trying to read a lot of series this year so that would be perfect.

If you're on a dystopian/post-apocalyptic binge, try Wool by Hugh Howey. I just read it and could not put it down. Make sure you get the Wool omnibus if you do choose to check it out, as the book was originally published in five separate parts.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #290 on: March 16, 2017, 11:53:58 AM »
14. The Fever Code by James Dashner

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #291 on: March 17, 2017, 05:13:11 AM »
ENG
  • The Patient by Michael Palmer
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • Original Sin by P. D. James
  • The Murder Room by P. D. James
  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett
  • How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World by Harry Browne
  • Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin, Joe Dominguez (& Monique Tilford)
  • The Private Patient by P. D. James
  • The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy

FR*
  • Meurtres en blouse blanche (Shroud for a Nightingale) par P. D. James
  • Une certaine justice (A Certain Justice) par P. D. James
  • Une vie si convenable (The Child’s Child) par Ruth Rendell
  • Meurtres en soutane (Death in Holy Orders) par P. D. James
  • A l'aube du grand amour - Les héritiers de Sorcha I (Dark Witch - The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy, Book 1) par Nora Roberts
  • Soeurs et amies (Sisters) par Danielle Steel
  • Coup de foudre (First Sight) par Danielle Steel
  • À l'heure où les cœurs s'éveillent - Les héritiers de Sorcha II (Shadow Spell - The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy, Book 2) par Nora Roberts
  • Au crépuscule des amants - Les héritiers de Sorcha III (Blood Magick - The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy, Book 3) par Nora Roberts
  • Eternels Célibataires (Toxic Bachelors) par Danielle Steel
Lot of French novels recently. I'm about to finish the newly added books in the English section of my local library. I'll go this weekend to see what is offered in nearby libraries where I can use the same library card. Also when I start reading Danielle Steel or Nora Roberts novels, it means that I am stressed and tired and cannot bother to read detective novels or non-fiction. Probably high time for a short vacation.

* English title (if applicable) in italics

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #292 on: March 17, 2017, 05:17:29 AM »
12. We Should All Be Feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Is this based on her TED talk? I did know that it has a book now!! How did you find it?

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #293 on: March 19, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »
I am on book #3: The Traveler's Wife.

#1 Christmas Joy by Nancy Naigle
#2 Starry Night by Debbie Macomber

Hi Chip! I read Starry Night last Christmas and really enjoyed it! Did you know it was made into a Hallmark movie? I forget which one as I don't have the Hallmark Channel. Watching Hallmark movies and reading Christmas-themed romance novels is one of my favorite treats around Christmastime nowadays.

and I love my Hallmark movies! thx I will need to scope out and watch this movie.

#3 Stop Working . . . Start Living: How I Retired at 36 (Without Winning the Lottery) by Dianne Nahirny
#4 Getting a Life: Real Lives Transformed by Your Money or Your Life by Jacquelyn Blix & David Heitmiller (currently reading. thx to Lhamo for the mention of the book son someone's journal. it's about how people's lives adopted to YMOYL)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #294 on: March 19, 2017, 10:31:16 AM »
16. Ransom (Lois Duncan)

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2017, 02:28:03 PM »
PopSugar 2017 Challenge:.
1. A book with a subtitle: Waiting:  The True Confessions of a Waitress (Debra Ginsberg)
2. A book that's more than 800 pages: A Dance with Dragons (George R.R. Martin)
3. The first book in a series you haven't read before: A Darker Shade of Magic (Victoria Schwab)
4. A book with an unreliable narrator: The Girl on the Train (Paula Hawkins)
5. A book with an eccentric character: Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk)
6. A book with a cat on the cover: Dr. Sleep   (Stephen King)                                                                  

WinterSkies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #296 on: March 20, 2017, 01:18:27 PM »
Late to the game, but I'm in!  It's tough with two young kids, but I really need to get back to spending some time on myself again.

1. The Martian by Andy Weir

2. Death by Black Hole and Other Cosmic Quandaries by Neil deGrasse Tyson

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: March 20, 2017, 06:58:59 PM »
12. Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari (3/10)
13. The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman (3/20)

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #298 on: March 21, 2017, 06:28:27 AM »
17. Wool by Hugh Howey (Silo #1)
18. Shift by Hugh Howey (Silo #2)
19. Slumdog Millionaire by Vikas Swarup

Been a busy week and I haven't been able to read much. Hoping to catch on some reading this weekend.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #299 on: March 23, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »
16. Ransom (Lois Duncan)
17. The Valley of Amazement (Amy Tan)
18. Killing & Dying (Adrian Tomine)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!