Author Topic: Fasting Thread  (Read 6254 times)

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
Fasting Thread
« on: January 23, 2018, 10:22:16 PM »
Anybody interested in a fasting thread?

I've been doing 20 and 24 hours these past few days and I want to do a longer one, and I'm a little nervous.  But I think my body really needs it.  I'd like to do 36 hours this week.

I'm trying to work up the motivation to start now by having tonight's dinner be my last meal until Thursday morning.  A stretch goal would be Thursday noon.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:45:41 PM by jane x »

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 36 Hour Fast
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 11:05:21 PM »
Good luck, I won't be able to join you this time.  I would suggest that you don't do anything too stressful or too much physical activity.  Do keep your self occupied with activities that you don't normally associate with food, like walks or reading, vs hanging out with friends at the coffee shop or going to the movies. 

Care to elaborate on what you are nervous about?  It seems like you have already experienced 24 hour fasts, 36 hours would be like adding a good nights sleep.  My first few extended fasts, 24+ hours, were hard or harder because I was still eating a high carb diet, but once I started eating low carb it became so much easier because my cravings for food would not be so intense and it would only be out of habit that made want to eat and not true 'hunger'.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
Re: 36 Hour Fast
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 12:02:35 AM »
Good luck, I won't be able to join you this time.  I would suggest that you don't do anything too stressful or too much physical activity.  Do keep your self occupied with activities that you don't normally associate with food, like walks or reading, vs hanging out with friends at the coffee shop or going to the movies. 

Care to elaborate on what you are nervous about?  It seems like you have already experienced 24 hour fasts, 36 hours would be like adding a good nights sleep.  My first few extended fasts, 24+ hours, were hard or harder because I was still eating a high carb diet, but once I started eating low carb it became so much easier because my cravings for food would not be so intense and it would only be out of habit that made want to eat and not true 'hunger'.

I'm really not sure what it is that I'm nervous about.  The fasts leading up this have all happened naturally, just a result of me not being hungry.  This will be the first time that I'm choosing to withhold food.  Maybe I'm scared that the intentional withholding will trigger some panic reactions and that I'll binge eat as a result.  And that I won't be able to stop the stress eating once it starts.  Yeah, that's probably it.  Thanks for helping me clarify that for myself.  It's easier to face a fear that you've named and acknowledged openly. 

Suzanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Fasting Thread
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 04:10:58 AM »
Hi Jane,
Ok, I can join you for 10 hours .

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 08:19:42 AM »
I'm in.  I've done a 36-38 hr fast the past two Fridays (last meal Thursday, break the fast late Saturday morning). I'll go again this weekend and report in.

Anybody interested in a fasting thread?

I've been doing 20 and 24 hours these past few days and I want to do a longer one, and I'm a little nervous.  But I think my body really needs it.  I'd like to do 36 hours this week.

I'm trying to work up the motivation to start now by having tonight's dinner be my last meal until Thursday morning.  A stretch goal would be Thursday noon.

How's it going so far?

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:41:09 AM »
When fasting (Can't right now, I'm pregnant) I find 36 hours the easiest.  I eat dinner Day 1, don't eat Day 2, break the fast with breakfast Day 3. I find fasting this way, even up to every other day, easy and my body quickly adjusts such that I don't feel hungry at all on fasting days.  I do find it easiest while eating a mostly whole foods, low carb-high fat diet.  High carbs tend to make me super hungry.

My husband on the other hand HATES shorter fasts.  He feels hungry on day 1/2 no matter what he does and he feels best and does best with 4-6 day fasts.  By day 3 he's in a groove and feels great!  This doesn't change for him, eating whole foods and low carb high fat makes fasting easier, but 36 hr fasts are just not for him.

I really love the work of Dr. Jason Fung- if you're interested in some of the science his work is great and there are some amazing youtube lectures.

For me drinking to thirst, making sure I am taking in enough electrolytes and keeping busy are key.  I will have a cup of coffee w a T of cream on fasting days.  I am interested in trying for a 7 day water and salt ONLY fast after baby and nursing. There is some interesting research about autophagy and cancer that makes me interested in a longer fast.  If I were prepping for a 7 day water fast I'd be focusing on really nutrient dense foods and suplimenting electrolytes for a good 2 weeks prior to the fast.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
I'm on hour 40 of my fast.  The fast has been surprisingly easy.  Even with being around DH as he ate dinner, fruit, chocolate chip cookies, and popcorn. 

This morning it took me a while to remember I hadn't eaten in 36 hours.  The only time I felt hungry was last night at bedtime.  I ignored the feeling and was asleep pretty quickly.  This morning I wasn't hungry at all so I decided to push on and shoot for 42 hours. 

I'm kinda thinking about extending it to 48 hours, but not sure.  It might be wiser to build up in steps rather than pushing too much.  The building up to this point to almost a week, so that might be the way to go.  Maybe I'll set a goal of doing a 72 hour one this time next week.  And in between I can work on building up to it.  I don't think 48 hours will be too hard.  But adding an extra day might be.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 11:39:21 PM »
Good to hear your fast is going well.  Since you have been doing keto and low carb I think it definitely helped.  For me the hardest days are always 3-4, my hunger is gone by then but it's psychologically not eating food for that long that is a big mental hurdle to get over.  It is a strong habit to break. 

This blog about someone's 21 day fast, is what gave me confidence to do the extended fast, lost of good info on what to expect to experience during such a long fast, https://personalexcellence.co/blog/fasting/.  I experienced cramps around day 5 and 6 due to deficiencies in electrolytes as I was still trying to stay active, will be supplementing next time.  Also keto flu is real as I was mostly sleeping by day 6 and 7.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 12:48:23 AM »
Posting to follow. I don't do long fasts, just overnight 16-hour ones, but I'm interested to hear people's thoughts.

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 05:45:24 AM »
I’ll jump in. I do 14-16 hours each day and have done a few 24 hours. I want to work up to 36 hours upon occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 07:18:53 AM »
I wanted to do a 36-hour yesterday but had a work lunch scheduled last minute. I’m only on hour 13 now but would like to go for 24 hours today and then maybe a 36-hour next week. I’m having coffee and sparkling water only.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 11:11:17 AM »
Glad to have the company!  I'd love to hear how you guys do.

I ended the fast at 42 hours.  I wasn't hungry, but it was raining hard and I felt cold so decided to have some caff tea to warm me up and to test out whether I can have caffeine on a fast.  The last time I tried it I had some nausea.  Well, it gave me a stomachache and headache pretty quick.  So no caff, sad to say.  I went ahead and had some food to correct the situation and all was well.

I had shrimp and avocado soup for a late lunch and then for dinner it was a salad with eggs, bacon, and some nuts.  Afterwards I went to the gym and swam for 45 minutes and soaked in the jacuzzi for a while.  Slept great. 

My next attempt will be 48 hours.  This fast was water only and I liked that the whole issue of food was off the table and I didn't have to even think about it.  I'll probably try that again and only have broth if I feel like I actually need it. 

Overall, a very good experience.  I felt relaxed and comfortable.  And kinda shocked at how easy it was!  :)

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 02:45:02 AM »
Sure!  Just started fasting again.  Crashed my metabolism two years ago due intense stress (not due to fasting).  Then when the stress came down and I started eating normally again I gained a shit ton of weight (my doctor said it slightly differently) . So now that everything is back to normal I am going to start back to doing three 20 hour fasts per week.  Have about 30lbs to lose.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 09:48:25 AM »
Welcome @asauer !  Glad you can join us.

Yesterday I did a 24 hour fast.  I got hungry around hour 22 and had some herbal tea and time outside with the pups to distract myself.  After dinner I went swimming for an hour. 

I'll probably due 20/4 fasts this weekend

I've been intermitten fasting for a week now and I'm really pleased and surprised at how well my body is responding to it.  If anyone is on the fence about giving it a try, I highly recommend it!  I'm on a low-carb diet, and that is making things way easier.  If you are not on a low-carb diet, don't feel bad if your body is having a hard time with it.  The sugar and carb cravings would have made this very difficult for me before I started my diet 3 weeks ago. 

Maybe some of the folks who are doing this but not adhering to a low-carb diet can post tips on managing the cravings to help those who are new to fasting.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:31:28 AM by jane x »

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 06:05:13 AM »
I ended the fast at 42 hours. 
Overall, a very good experience.  I felt relaxed and comfortable.  And kinda shocked at how easy it was!  :)

Glad to hear it went so well!! I think you'll find your groove easily, and what works best for you.  If you do decide to go longer you'll definitely have to do some pushing through.  I think for weight loss and insulin sensitivity 36-48 hrs is really all most people need if they do it on a semi regular basis.

I'm 36 weeks pregnant, so a while yet before I actually join you.  I won't fast while breast feeding- well I might do some time restricted eating if it just happens but I won't plan any fasting per-say.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 02:27:52 PM »
@MEJG  - I've been wondering something and I'm hoping you might know about it.  Let's say that I finish a 36-48 hour fast today and I have a nice big feast to break the fast - since we're going with the fast & feast philosophy.  What happens tomorrow?  Do I continue feasting or do I return to my regular eating pattern? 

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 03:13:16 PM »
@MEJG  - I've been wondering something and I'm hoping you might know about it.  Let's say that I finish a 36-48 hour fast today and I have a nice big feast to break the fast - since we're going with the fast & feast philosophy.  What happens tomorrow?  Do I continue feasting or do I return to my regular eating pattern? 

jane X,

are you going to be doing regular 36-48 hour fasts?  3 a week? If so I would feast when eating focusing on nutrient dense and fatty foods.  If you're going to be doing one a week I would make sure to feast after, and the day before a fast but would eat keto to satiety but not worry about it much on the other days.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 06:25:09 PM »

jane X,

are you going to be doing regular 36-48 hour fasts?  3 a week? If so I would feast when eating focusing on nutrient dense and fatty foods.  If you're going to be doing one a week I would make sure to feast after, and the day before a fast but would eat keto to satiety but not worry about it much on the other days.

Thanks @MEJG - that makes sense.  This coming week I will attempt 3 fasts of at least 36 hours on Mon, Weds and Fri.  I will make sure to eat plenty of nutritious fatty foods on the feasting days.  I hope to build up to 48 hours, but I want to get my nutrition dialed in first. 

I just read this article about the benefits of eating earlier rather than later: https://idmprogram.com/eat-fast-break-fast/
Thus far I've been forgoing breakfast and often lunch, but I'm going to try to adjust my schedule to have my biggest meals earlier in the day rather than later.  This means I will plan on eating at 36 hours even if I'm not hungry in order to shift my schedule.  I'm interesting to see how it works out.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 10:15:50 AM »
As per protocol, this weekend I feasted in preparation for today's fast.  It feels weird because I ate more, a lot more, than I normally would.  And this morning the scale showed a 2.5 lb jump over the weekend.  Of course, I didn't eat an extra 8700 worth of calories, more like 1500 over two days.  And I still feel full so I think it's all hanging out in my belly.

Mentally I have a hard time believing that this will help with the weight loss.  But, I'm going to try this out for the whole week and see what happens.  I will try not to panic if the scale keeps going up.   

I'm curious to see if the extra food will cause food cravings, or the opposite. 

I haven't heard from anyone else doing the fasting.  Anyone want to share experiences from this past week?

scissorbill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 10:28:54 AM »
I'm ten days into intermittent fasting.  I aim for 16 hours but I've gone up to 20.  So far I've lost 4.5 pounds! I'm planning a Maundy Thursday sundown to Easter morning fast.  It will be around 60 hours so not long compared to other extended fasts but very long for me.  Should I do any preparation? Right now I drink water, black coffee and black tea.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
Going to be doing some intermittent fasting this spring. Currently doing breakfast/lunch and then keeping it mostly fluids (broth & tea) for the evening.

No hunger and feeling good (about 19 hours in)..still able to be active/work--might do a longer one when I have the time/space to rest through it.

Reading an interesting book by Stephen Buhner "the transformational power of fasting" which addresses the physical, emotional and spiritual reasons for fasting.
 A bit woo-woo but right up my alley :)

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 09:55:25 AM »
I am on day 5 of intermittent fasting. I hasn't been perfect just yet but the last couple of days have been right on target.  I am trying to wait out the hunger. I am doing lunch and dinner.  I am following the 16/8 structure.  So I am fasting for 16 hours a day.

This threads seems like it is focusing on longer fasts. I am totally not ready for them but I would like to work up to a 24 hour fast.  I have tried intermittent fasting before and could not stick with it but this time I am looking forward to it and excited to stay on track. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 10:44:21 AM »

This threads seems like it is focusing on longer fasts. I am totally not ready for them but I would like to work up to a 24 hour fast.  I have tried intermittent fasting before and could not stick with it but this time I am looking forward to it and excited to stay on track.

@katalley, good luck!  I like the idea of shorter but more frequent fasts. Seems sustainable and healthy while also being a good way to prepare for a longer fast (iif that's ever desired!)

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 07:08:44 PM »
I am on day 5 of intermittent fasting. I hasn't been perfect just yet but the last couple of days have been right on target.  I am trying to wait out the hunger. I am doing lunch and dinner.  I am following the 16/8 structure.  So I am fasting for 16 hours a day.

Don’t worry about it.  I only do 20-24 hr fasts.  I’m happy to be fasting buddies!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 10:15:24 AM »

@katalley, good luck!  I like the idea of shorter but more frequent fasts. Seems sustainable and healthy while also being a good way to prepare for a longer fast (iif that's ever desired!)

Yes, I think 16 hour fasts are good for me for now. Even these are a bit tough but I just need to give my body time to adjust.  I have been doing this since March 9th and while some days were adjusting days, I am really starting to enjoy it or at least appreciate the structure.  I think I am still eating a bit too heavy but I have noticed my snacking has greatly reduced and it stops me from snacking later on at night. Some nights have been tough, but I hung in there and I am thankful in the morning I didn't give in.

I do love it so far and am on schedule now.  Fingers crossed. 

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 10:28:05 AM »

Don’t worry about it.  I only do 20-24 hr fasts.  I’m happy to be fasting buddies!

I am loving the structure so far.  I like having an eating window, as I said in a previous post, it really has reduced my snacking. Or should I say, I am starting to reduce it.  I realized with my meals and snacking, I was still eating too much because, you know, when I fast it will burn off. LOL  So, I am starting to be mindful of my portions. 

I don't know if I have noticed real benefits yet, which surprised me, but I am getting myself on a healthier path and I am really happy about that.  Next week will be even better because I have a better handle on the choices I am making.

And I have never liked black coffee and I am finding it is not so bad.  Taste buds do change.

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 04:32:20 AM »
I do 20 hours of fasting every day except for special functions. After a few weeks you're not hungry in the day, after months you'd rather not eat.

I love living this way, I also find it saves time, money and the effort of having to cater for multiple meals.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2018, 02:12:30 PM »
Will be doing 3 days of time-restricted eating starting today..7:30-2:30ish (early seems to work best for me)
I may modify to later breakfast times depending on the day.
7-8hr feeding window, and won't be too strict about herbal teas/broths if I feel inclined to have some in the evening.

ponderous_tome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2018, 09:02:42 PM »
I've been doing 16:8 since December and really enjoying it. I traveled in February and fell off for a while, but I'm getting back into it. After about a week or two it feels effortless and I've enjoyed the clearheadedness that I have in the mornings while I'm finishing up the fast. I usually eat between 12-8pm. Once I'm back in a solid routine I'd like to move up to 18:6 and go from there. It's nice to see some other frugal fasters!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 08:52:30 AM »
Yesterday was somehow easy..finished eating by 2pm, then worked 2:30-7:30--drank water at work & some homemade veggie broth (no salt)
Wasn't hungry this morning, but now eating a smoothie bowl & will wrap up eating again after lunch
(and go do a sauna)

It's interesting how hunger can be a bit of a fake-out.
When I arrived home from work last night I felt the desire to snack..it felt like hunger but I waited, had something to drink and it passed and then no hunger..not even this morning.

I particularly liked the observation by @nairnejay
"Learning that I won't fall into a heap if I don't Eat. Right. Now."

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2018, 08:15:10 AM »
I'm dipping my toe into time restricted and am looking for an app to help me, I was wondering if anyone might have recommendations.

I'd like to be able to set prescheduled custom fasting periods that can vary by the day - for instance, 15 hour fasting periods on weekdays and 12 hour on weekends.  Ideally it would also alert me with notifications when fasting periods begin and end. 

Does this exist?  I've looked around and can't find anything. 

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2018, 06:17:14 AM »
I'm in. Fasting today actually. I was exposed to it through a medical procedure I had to have done a few weeks ago which led me down the rabbit hole of reading on intermittent fasting. This is my third 24 hour fast since then. Not as interested in weight loss as I am the awareness around the psychological aspect of eating, I've eaten emotionally for years and think this is helping me. Looking forward to following along with you all.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2018, 08:52:06 AM »
I've started experimenting with the 24-hour fast (going from dinner one night until dinner the next) and mostly getting to the 18-20 hour range. I like it though.

Probably for me the most important thing is that it challenges the psychological link between eating and emotions. I don't physically need the meals I'm not eating...but habit, emotional hunger and the like tell me I do...so it's good to reset the mental junk.

I stumbled on Eat Stop Eat (eatstopeat.com) which is an e-book on intermittent fasting (nothing new in the book I think - all the info/research/hype is out there in other books and websites) and actually bought the ebook. PM me if you want a copy (uh, can I do that?). He recommends not doing this more than once or twice a week.

I'm interested to follow up on the resources others have mentioned.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 10:26:29 PM »
Huh.  I tend to do longer, less frequent fasting, though it's far from as common as it should be.

Has anyone else done longer (5 day or longer) water fasts?  That's when it gets a bit more interesting with regards to how one cleanly enters and exits.  "Big meal" is definitely not the way to restart one's digestive system.

In general, I'd rather do something like a week than two days.  You hit a rhythm and it's an awful lot nicer once your digestive system clears out and shuts down.  There's no particular need to restrict what one does, though I might not run a marathon in that state.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2018, 05:44:08 AM »
I'm dipping my toe into time restricted and am looking for an app to help me, I was wondering if anyone might have recommendations.

I'd like to be able to set prescheduled custom fasting periods that can vary by the day - for instance, 15 hour fasting periods on weekdays and 12 hour on weekends.  Ideally it would also alert me with notifications when fasting periods begin and end. 

Does this exist?  I've looked around and can't find anything.
Could you just put it in Google Calendar as a separate calendar category and turn on notifications?