Author Topic: 26+ Books for 2018  (Read 22130 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
26+ Books for 2018
« on: December 26, 2017, 03:13:02 AM »
To steal the idea somewhat of another thread who's in? 3 years ago I couldnt stop reading but lately I have been doing so much on line. I love books and want to get back to reading them but honestly 1 good book every 2 weeks is fine for me. So to keep it real 26 + books for 2018. Whos in and whats your first book going to be. Only rules is it cannot be a picture book :-p and Have to Start After Midnight Dec.31st to count as a new book.  I am leaving for Orlando tomorrow so going to get to library tomorrow and look some up. I prefer true success stories, financial or occasionally a good drama.

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 26+ Books for 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »
I'm in! I was part of 2017's thread, but I only hit 28 books out of my goal of 50. Similarly to you, I just always end up reading online/scrolling through social media instead of actually reading all the books I have.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 09:56:58 AM »
I have been bad at reading so I want to join in. I have several books waiting and I cant seem to get myself to open one up. I could never do 50, but 26 may be doable.   I will organize my books to get started in the new year.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 10:06:46 AM »
I’m in. I read a book over the weekend (Your Money or Your Life) and am reading one more before the new year. Then I’ll be starting my first book of 2018: The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time series book 5). The WOT series is VERY long so I will be reading others in between.

I like nonfiction a lot, self-help and finances. I am starting to get back into fiction, so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vertkurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 11:20:57 AM »
Then I’ll be starting my first book of 2018: The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time series book 5). The WOT series is VERY long so I will be reading others in between.

I've been on book 10 of WOT for 2 years now. I've since forgotten all of the lesser main characters and all of the forsaken characters. That series is quite an undertaking, but I do like me some Aes sedai badassery!

I'll be reading the Malazan books by Seteven Erikson. That should last most of next year if not all of it.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 11:22:48 AM »
Then I’ll be starting my first book of 2018: The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time series book 5). The WOT series is VERY long so I will be reading others in between.

I've been on book 10 of WOT for 2 years now. I've since forgotten all of the lesser main characters and all of the forsaken characters. That series is quite an undertaking, but I do like me some Aes sedai badassery!

I'll be reading the Malazan books by Seteven Erikson. That should last most of next year if not all of it.
I bet. I’ve heard that the later books get rough. I’m thinking that I’ll probably go back and read over synopses of the first 4 books as a refresher because there is just so much detail to forget about.  What is Malazan about? I may put that on my list!

vertkurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 11:45:34 AM »

I bet. I’ve heard that the later books get rough. I’m thinking that I’ll probably go back and read over synopses of the first 4 books as a refresher because there is just so much detail to forget about.  What is Malazan about? I may put that on my list!

Malazan is very difficult to start. The first book, Gardens of the Moon, drops you in the middle of a war with no sense of the world. The author doesn't hold your hand by describing events or what has taken place. You learn what has happened through the dialogue of the characters. There are Gods, an interesting magic system, and memorable characters. I'll be honest, I couldn't tell who the bad guy was when I first read it or why it was even called Gardens of the Moon, but I stuck with it and ended up figuring things out. The Malazan reddit community tells new readers of the series to not give up and to just keep reading. I agree. The events all make sense towards the end.

Books 1-5 of WoT are good, but you're right it starts getting crazy keeping track of everything the further you read. Another one I like is the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson, whom finished WoT after Jordan passed, but he's only written 3/10. My favorite fantasy has to be Kingkiller Chronicles by Rothfuss, but again he's only finished 2/3.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 01:06:26 PM »
This sounds right on for me. I used to read a lot more and I really enjoy it, but I find it hard to make it a priority and to find the quiet time to do it in. I'd like to make more of a point of it.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 05:57:54 PM »
Some unsolicited advice for those who struggle to find time to read...what I do is to set a time, two hours before bed, where I drop everything and do nothing but read. Phone and computer are in another room on silent, and we don't have a TV, so no distractions. If I get tired of one book, which does happen, I just switch to another.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 03:36:35 AM »
Good to see people getting on board. So after this weekend lets start sharing what book you picked, suggestions etc...!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 08:58:05 AM »
I'm in!  In the past I've read as many as 100 books per year, but like many of you, have the bad habit now of endlessly scrolling through social media/forums/etc. whenever I have a spare moment, instead of reading.  I like the idea of having the last hour or two of the evening be dedicated to reading. 

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 01:59:16 PM »
I'm in too, for all the same reasons. I'd better finish the book I just started, so I can have a fresh one ready on the 1st. I'm finishing up "The Oregon Trail: A New American Journey" by Rinker Buck. It's non-fiction... I rarely read fiction... maybe I should challenge myself to specifically read more fiction. Hmm.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 07:07:24 PM »
I am in.  I am retiring at the end of April (2018), and one thing I really want to get back to is non-job-related reading.  Also, since I want to do some traveling, I would like to read some travel books this Spring--to get me even more excited about taking road trips and journeying to exciting spots.  :)

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »
Yeah, I need to do this.  The books are starting to take over.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 08:53:17 PM »
Turns out I read exactly 26 books in 2017. I logged them in LibraryThing. Of course, some of them were audiobooks (so, technically, I didn't read them) and quite a few were graphic novels...which involved some reading and some absorbing the stories through looking at the art. So 26 books for 2018 should work! (I won't count audiobooks for my own tally on this thread.)

mommad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 07:15:22 AM »
I read 55 books in 2017.  About 2/3 were audiobooks during my commute and working out.  I'd like to read 26 books and perhaps 26s audiobooks.  in truth each experience is different.  Some audiobooks come off more like tv shows others that read by the author can be very entertaining.  The big plus of audiobooks are that they are more like being on a treadmill vs having to run a path on ones own. 

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 07:27:01 AM »
 I just got a new shiny copy of the YNAB book (from the library of course) and will be reading that as my first book in 2018!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 08:11:19 AM »
Challenge accepted. Do we make progress reports with books done and a stat counter?

hayesb26

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
Did this for '17, will definitely be doing again in the new year.  Really helped remind me to get reading consistently!

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 09:55:52 AM »
It would be cool to do a financial book of the month club. I think a lot of people would struggle on one every 2 weeks but could play catch up with one official book of the month. Would anybody be interested in starting that?

batemama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 11:23:36 AM »
I need to get back into reading.  We were so busy last year that I kind of fell out of the habit.  It really is one of my favorite pastimes, and my books stacks and mental lists just keep growing. I'm going to shoot for 13 books from the library or friends and 13 from my own bookshelf.  My library had a new must-read non-fiction list posted, so I snagged one of those and will hopefully be able to pick it up and start reading on Sunday.  That's right, I'm cheating and starting a few hours early. :P

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 11:42:45 AM »
I started mine today while I was waiting for my car to be serviced. Got a little head start. My first book is Hillybilly Elegy by J.D. Vance.   It is a memoir of a family and culture in crisis.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 05:30:37 AM »
Challenge accepted. Do we make progress reports with books done and a stat counter?

No rules but would be great to hear what you read, share if you enjoyed etc...

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 05:33:41 AM »
For those of us that cant for whatever reason read a book a week this is for the halfers! :-p

Starts today so please share what you feel relevant. What you read, book review etc...

I will share I was traveling and got home last night and our Library will reopen tomorrow so thats when I will run at pick out my first book. I will post what I chose as soon as I have in hand.

Good Luck everyone!!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 09:56:08 AM »
Since it's too cold for me today, I sat and read The Life-changing magic of tidying up. It's been sitting on the to read shelf for awhile. 

Seems I now have some tidying to do.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 10:14:40 AM »
In! I just started The Inner Circle (Metzler). It was a Christmas gift, so we'll see if I stick with it. I also have two books on hold at the library.

catstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 11:06:42 AM »
I'm in! I didn't do as much reading as I wanted to in 2017 but kept buying (oops!) books all year. I plan to read at least one self help book and one fiction book each month. I'll start with Runaway by Alice Munro tonight.

Good luck all!

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 08:27:55 PM »
First book done! I read Successful Self Publishing by Joanna Penn. My wife is finishing up her first book, and we are both learning as much as we can about publishing to get it out there. The Penn book is a really great overview of the full process.

Now onto a longer book...

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 11:55:54 PM »
I’m in as this is part of my badassity resolutions.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 01:50:07 PM »
Well i finally got started on my book "True Wealth" by the same author of The overspent American , why we want what we dont need. Author is Juliet Schor.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2018, 04:47:54 PM »
I’ll join. I’ve been easing back into a good reading habit thanks to a coworker who has the habit of sending good books my way as often as I’m interested.

First book is finished - Margaret Atwood’s Hagseed. She’s a favorite and The Tempest is my favorite Shakespeare, so it was a good place to start.

Starting #2 (just picked up from the library) - All the Ugly and Wondeful Things by Bryn Greenwood.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2018, 07:44:27 PM »
1: Do More, Spend Less (1/4/2018)
2: YNAB (1/5/2018)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2018, 02:57:53 AM »

Why should I know what YNAB is? I know its a budgeting app but is there a book that because i am so tired I cant think of what it stands for? ;-p

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2018, 08:10:07 AM »

Why should I know what YNAB is? I know its a budgeting app but is there a book that because i am so tired I cant think of what it stands for? ;-p
Yeah! They came out with a book recently and I picked it up from my library. It’s the same title, You Need a Budget. It flashes out the concepts a little more but wasn’t particularly groundbreaking (I’m glad I didn’t pay for it, I’ve used the app for over a year and there wasn’t much new information).

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2018, 10:31:40 AM »
1. The restaurant at the end of the universe (Douglas Adams) - Jan 6th

Had a few dull pages but the ending is great!

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2018, 10:25:26 PM »
1) The Kingdom of Childhood- Rudolf Steiner

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2018, 02:37:30 AM »

Yeah! They came out with a book recently and I picked it up from my library. It’s the same title, You Need a Budget. It flashes out the concepts a little more but wasn’t particularly groundbreaking (I’m glad I didn’t pay for it, I’ve used the app for over a year and there wasn’t much new information).

Do you like the app? is it worth paying for vs the free Mint app or Personal finance?

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2018, 09:11:14 AM »

Do you like the app? is it worth paying for vs the free Mint app or Personal finance?
That’s a tough question. They moved from YNAB4 to newYNAB which is browser-based and on a subscription model about 2 years ago. They charged $50 per year but recently bumped that price up to $85. I am grandfathered in (for now) and will cancel my subscription when the price goes up for me. I don’t think it’s worth $85 per year unless you are completely out of touch with your finances (which is the target audience anyway).

The YNAB method for budgeting is how I intuitively budgeted anyway. It’s proactive (unlike Mint, which just shows you what has already happened) and is a great tool for “giving every dollar a job” and re-allocating budgeted money during the month if something unexpected happens. Basically, it helps people learn “if I want to purchase this dress I can, but I will have to make up for that money from my (whatever) budget line item.”

If you’re here, at MMM, you probably don’t need the software. I use both YNAB and Personal Capital, and while it’s nice to have the monthly budgeting from YNAB tracking every penny in and out, I won’t keep it at a higher price point. It does give me a “real time” view of my finances which I like though since all pending transactions are put in and accounted for. So I always know how much money I actually have since I input transactions as I make them, not as they clear.

You can sign up for a 34-day trial to see if you like it. And/or check out the book from the library to see if the style works for you.

batemama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2018, 11:41:20 AM »
  • Whipping Boy - Allen Kurzweil - Recommendation: Meh. It was okay.  The con scheme was interesting, the point of the book...not so much.
  • Night - Elie Wiesel - Recommendation: Yes. I think it's important to read books like this.

Currently reading: Me Before You - JoJo Moyes

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 07:35:31 PM »
3: The Bone Thief (1/9/2018)

As a note, I thought I was reading The Bone Thief (A Thriller) when really I had checked out ... The Bone Thief (A Middle-School Fantasy Novel). FML. I was scrolling through titles for the library online, recalled hearing that “The Bone Thief” was a good book, and jumped in not really recalling much about the premise. By halfway through the book I wanted to throw it out the window, but I stuck it out anyway, just in case it got better. It did not. I don’t know what I was expecting. I’m counting it on my list
 because I had to power through the rest of it.

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 01:57:21 PM »
First book done! I read Successful Self Publishing by Joanna Penn. My wife is finishing up her first book, and we are both learning as much as we can about publishing to get it out there. The Penn book is a really great overview of the full process.

Book two done! I read The Joy of Less by Francine Jay. I'd give it a solid four stars - no earth shattering revelations about decluttering and minimalism, but a very solid primer on the topic.

Currently reading: Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2018, 04:27:12 AM »

That’s a tough question. They moved from YNAB4 to newYNAB which is browser-based and on a subscription model about 2 years ago. They charged $50 per year but recently bumped that price up to $85. I am grandfathered in (for now) and will cancel my subscription when the price goes up for me. I don’t think it’s worth $85 per year unless you are completely out of touch with your finances (which is the target audience anyway).

The YNAB method for budgeting is how I intuitively budgeted anyway. It’s proactive (unlike Mint, which just shows you what has already happened) and is a great tool for “giving every dollar a job” and re-allocating budgeted money during the month if something unexpected happens. Basically, it helps people learn “if I want to purchase this dress I can, but I will have to make up for that money from my (whatever) budget line item.”

If you’re here, at MMM, you probably don’t need the software. I use both YNAB and Personal Capital, and while it’s nice to have the monthly budgeting from YNAB tracking every penny in and out, I won’t keep it at a higher price point. It does give me a “real time” view of my finances which I like though since all pending transactions are put in and accounted for. So I always know how much money I actually have since I input transactions as I make them, not as they clear.

You can sign up for a 34-day trial to see if you like it. And/or check out the book from the library to see if the style works for you.

I'm satisfied with Mint.  I used personal capital for awhile but they drove me nuts trying to get my investments. And it takes me 30 seconds to log onto Vanguard to review things as well. Combine that with my old school way of liking to write numbers on paper and journal them I am good to go! :-)

I finished True Wealth and recommend it. I have to get to Library in fact today and look for my second book. I have a couple topics in mind but will post what I end up picking.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2018, 07:19:29 AM »
I’ll join. I’ve been easing back into a good reading habit thanks to a coworker who has the habit of sending good books my way as often as I’m interested.

First book is finished - Margaret Atwood’s Hagseed. She’s a favorite and The Tempest is my favorite Shakespeare, so it was a good place to start.

Starting #2 (just picked up from the library) - All the Ugly and Wondeful Things by Bryn Greenwood.

I can not recommend #2. I don’t want to write too much, but read the reviews before you commit. It was hard to finish and made me feel gross.

#3 - The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright. It was just ok.

#4 - Drive  by Daniel Pink. We’ve read portions at work, so nothing really new was learned  by reading the whole thing.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:25:54 AM by GoConfidently »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2018, 12:51:24 PM »
Got my second book of the month today! I like crime novels and have read finacial books till I am blue in the face so picked up "The Husband" by Dean Koontz. Already 2 chapters in and starting pretty good!

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2018, 05:21:37 PM »
1) The Kingdom of Childhood- Rudolf Steiner
2) The Four Seasons and the Archangels- Rudolf Steiner

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2018, 09:22:23 PM »

Book two done! I read The Joy of Less by Francine Jay. I'd give it a solid four stars - no earth shattering revelations about decluttering and minimalism, but a very solid primer on the topic.

Currently reading: Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin.

Book three done! I finished Your Money or Your Life today. I wish I had discovered it sooner! It’s not a new way of thinking about money for me, but it totally is at the same time. I highly recommend it!

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2018, 10:56:34 PM »
I'm in, though my goal is 50 since I read a lot of trashy young adult post-apocalyptic sci fi. (Yes, I consider that a genre. Yes, I know what I like).

So far I got pretty into a series (not YA, arguably post-apocalyptic, definitely sci fi): The Expanse.

• Leviathan Wakes - James Corey
  • Caliban's War - James Corey
  • Abaddon's  Gate - James Corey
  • The Sun & Her Flowers - Rupi Kaur (broke up the space opera with some feminist poetry)
  • Cibola Burn - James Corey
  • Nemesis Game - James Corey

And I'm currently on book 6. When I finish that, I will take a break as book 7 just came out in hardcover.

Also, embarrassing sidenote to this challenge, I have a bad habit of buying books (though used!) - part of this challenge for me will be reading via book swaps (and raiding my mother's very stacked library) and going to/using the library for the first time in a decade.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2018, 10:37:34 AM »
3: The Bone Thief (1/9/2018)
4: The Only Investment Guide You Will Ever Need (1/16/2018)

A bit dry, but very informative. I’d recommend this for anyone who wants a high-level overview of almost every type of investment there is.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2018, 03:25:50 PM »
Just checking in. Due to lack of sleep up at 2am I am half way through my second book "The Husband" and its really good!

batemama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2018, 09:12:55 AM »
I'm in, though my goal is 50 since I read a lot of trashy young adult post-apocalyptic sci fi. (Yes, I consider that a genre. Yes, I know what I like).

Ha!  It's a favorite guilty pleasure of mine of my SIL.  I often find it better though to just read the first book in a YA trilogy and just let it end with the main character having discovered something about his or herself/society and having a questionable future.