Author Topic: ID theft HELP! Got email from IRS:account locked due to multiple failed logins  (Read 4879 times)

pinkfloyd4ever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Apparently someone tried to log in to the IRS site posing as me, presumably to file a fraudulent tax return and steal my refund.

What do I do!? I was about to join Lifelock, but now I'm reading that Lifelock doesn't really do much for you other than take your money every month?

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I was of course part of the giant Equifax data breach earlier this year, as well as the Anthem one, and probably others I don't know about. I haven't really done anything to protect myself but now I'm thinking I should, but the more I read the more I'm really lost as to how exactly to go about doing it.

HELP! What should I do?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 08:51:53 PM by pinkfloyd4ever »

CDN_Dreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Most of those emails are fake, don't click on any link from within it.

If your account is truly locked that means they didn't get in, Your ID wasn't stolen.
I would go to your usual IRS site and try to login, get account unlocked, reset password, Done.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
Wait...if the account was locked, then how is the OP going to log in?

I agree that you should never click on these kinds of links though. If it’s a scam you should be able to log in on the regular IRS website. Don’t go through the link (if any) in the email. Open a new window and type in the IRS.gov website address. If it is not a scam, then call the IRS and speak to someone there. They should be able to help you sort it out.

pinkfloyd4ever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
It definitely occurred to me that it could be a scam/spam email at first. But there was no link to follow in the email and it definitely looked legitimate.

It said my account was locked for 24 hours and after that I should log in and change my PW, PIN etc. Just wondering what other steps I should take after that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:05:23 AM by pinkfloyd4ever »

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
It's likely this is a bogus email.
Here's the IRS web page about phishing.
https://www.irs.gov/privacy-disclosure/report-phishing

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
It could be someone just misspelled their email or username and then couldn't figure out why his or her password didn't work. I am pretty sure I did that to someone once. I was having an awful time trying to sign in to my state tax website. When I finally called to unlock my account after too many bad passwords, I found out the username I remembered was one letter off. That was a few years ago, so whoever had the other username has probably recovered by now.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
First, I would try logging in by accessing the site through official channels, The, I would go to the official IRS website and call them. Amazingly, someone will actually talk to you on the phone! Be patient if they are busy . . . you'll get to talk with them eventually.

The govt requires the Social Security account website users to change the password every 6 months. Since I only check my statement annually, I am locked out every time I want to check it. I call, they reset it and email me the link, and then I'm back in. They are always super polite and patient on the phone . . . I imagine they deal with non-tech saavy grandmas a lot.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!