Author Topic: Withdrawing Roth IRA Contributions From 401k Rollover  (Read 492 times)

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
Withdrawing Roth IRA Contributions From 401k Rollover
« on: February 04, 2021, 04:04:59 PM »
I am looking to purchase a business and most of my money is tied up in retirement accounts. I'm exploring the idea of withdrawing some funds from a Roth IRA.

I have about $70k in a Vanguard Roth IRA that is primarily from a 401k rollover from an old employer about 3 years ago. At that time it was about $50k and was mostly Roth 401k. I converted the traditional portion (about $10-15k) to Roth that same year (2018) and paid the taxes on it so the whole $50k could grow tax free. Each year prior I would convert a portion of my traditional 401k (including company match) to Roth 401k, usually about $10k a year to avoid a big one-time tax hit.

I know that in general you can withdraw Roth IRA contributions without any penalty and taxes. After all, it's after-tax money. However, in looking through the IRS rules (Publication 590-B) there's a 5-year rule and since I rolled over my Roth 401k to a Roth IRA less than 5 years ago, I'm not sure if I can withdraw any of that money without paying a penalty or taxes. Any tax experts out there that can weigh in?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 07:52:28 PM by Michael in ABQ »

terran

• Magnum Stache
Re: Withdrawing Roth IRA Contributions From 401k Rollover
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 07:49:56 PM »
Yes, any taxable traditional to Roth conversions that are withdrawn before 5 tax years has elapsed will have a 10% penalty.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 07:54:21 PM »
Yes, any taxable traditional to Roth conversions that are withdrawn before 5 tax years has elapsed will have a 10% penalty.

So if say $30k of my Roth IRA was converted from traditional more than 5 year ago, or was originally Roth 401k, would that be eligible for withdrawal without penalty?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 10:54:37 PM »
https://www.schwab.com/resource-center/insights/content/can-you-rollover-roth-401k-to-roth-ira

See section on "Digging into the 5-year rule" in the above article.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 11:21:41 PM »

So if say $30k of my Roth IRA was converted from traditional more than 5 year ago, or was originally Roth 401k, would that be eligible for withdrawal without penalty?

Converted more than 5 years ago yes, but you need to look at what you actually contributed to Roth 401(k), not the amount in the Roth 401(k) when you rolled over to Roth IRA.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 10:13:57 AM »
https://www.schwab.com/resource-center/insights/content/can-you-rollover-roth-401k-to-roth-ira

See section on "Digging into the 5-year rule" in the above article.

Based on that I think at least $20-30k of my existing Roth IRA could be withdrawn with no tax and no penalties. For the opportunity I'm looking at, even paying a 10% penalty on $30-40k or so would be well worth it. I plan on using an SBA loan for business acquisition and through September they are waiving the payments up to $9k/month. So that's potentially $20-25k in savings for the size of loan I'm looking at.