Author Topic: Vanguard says Form 5498 won't be available until mid-May  (Read 4273 times)

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
Vanguard says Form 5498 won't be available until mid-May
« on: February 24, 2016, 12:02:14 PM »
I maxed out 2015 IRA in October; had to split it between Roth and traditional.

And now Vanguard says I won't get Form 5498 in time for filing tax return.

What's the procedure for this?  How is this form filed?

Also, I am filing MFJ for 2015, but this is the last time for this.  Next year I will be filing HOH.  How should my 2015 IRA contributions be handled and how do I get my refund for tIRA portion?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: Vanguard says Form 5498 won't be available until mid-May
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 12:03:37 PM »
You don't need Form 5498 to file your taxes. Just look back at how much you contributed to traditional and Roth and use that information when filling out your form.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 12:08:54 PM »
Thanks.
Is there a specific line that asks for this info on the tax form?

My soon to be ex is doing the taxes and I will review and update when he's done. 

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 12:28:21 PM »
You report deductible traditional IRA contributions on Line 32 of Form 1040. If you made non-deductible traditional IRA contributions you report those on Form 8606. Roth contributions aren't reported on Form 1040 since they're made after tax and thus don't affect your tax liability.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 05:01:38 PM »
You report deductible traditional IRA contributions on Line 32 of Form 1040. If you made non-deductible traditional IRA contributions you report those on Form 8606. Roth contributions aren't reported on Form 1040 since they're made after tax and thus don't affect your tax liability.

What are non deductible tIRA contributions?  I thought tIRA is deductible by definition.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 05:13:25 PM »

What are non deductible tIRA contributions?  I thought tIRA is deductible by definition.

Nope. When you make a traditional IRA contribution you may choose to have it be pre-tax (if your income is low enough) or after-tax (at any income). Either way, transactions within the IRA aren't taxed, and the growth on the account will be taxed at your regular marginal rate when you withdraw it.

The after-tax traditional IRA is a key part of the "backdoor Roth IRA" for people whose income is above the limit for Roth IRA contributions. You make an after-tax traditional IRA contribution (no income limitations there!) and convert it to Roth shortly thereafter (no income limitations there either!). The after-tax traditional IRA doesn't make a whole lot of sense outside of this context.