Author Topic: Too Late to Start and Fund a SEP-IRA or Solo-401k for 2015 Taxes?!  (Read 1935 times)

toppdealer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE'd at 32. Husband and Father.
All-

I must admit. I am a procrastinator. I've completed my 2015 taxes in Turbo Tax, and the outcome isn't pretty. Without getting into specifics, here is the rough breakdown of my income/expenses...

Personal- W2 Income- 46%
Personal- Passive income generated in the Stock Market (specifically 1256 Futures trading)- taxed at a blend of 60%STCG(short-term cap gains)/40%LTCG- 39%
Business- Real Estate Broker Commissions Income- 10%

Is there any way I can setup and fund an IRA now, or is it too late? I found conflicting information. One article stated for a Personal SEP it must be initiated by 12/31/15 and funded by 4/18/16. However, another stated that if for a business, it just had to be established and funded by the time taxes were due, including any extensions.

Technically, most of my income is on the personal side, but I'd like to max out the $53k x 2 (me and wife) if possible.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Thx and Cheers!
Toppdealer

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
Re: Too Late to Start and Fund a SEP-IRA or Solo-401k for 2015 Taxes?!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 12:31:33 PM »
I would call Fidelity or Vanguard (or whatever broker you like) directly but it is definitely too late for the Solo-401K.  Not sure about the SEP-IRA.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 12:32:28 PM »
I looked in to this for SEP-IRA and SIMPLE IRA and couldn't do it - too late to open an account for last year. It would have been OK to open it on time and fund it now, but not OK to with until now to open it for last year.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 02:45:39 PM »
A solo 401k has to be opened by the end of the year for which you want to contribute (you can make the actual contributions any time up to the tax filing deadline). A SEP can technically be opened any time up to the tax filing deadline of the year for which you want to contribute, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're too late to get it done in time at this point in practice.

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 07:46:56 AM »
File for an extension, then you have until the end of the extension period to contribute funds to a SEP IRA. See https://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Retirement-Plans-FAQs-regarding-SEPs-Contributions
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:09:49 AM by Able was I ERE »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!