Author Topic: The 8606 form has not been released yet!  (Read 2600 times)

swampwiz

• Bristles
The 8606 form has not been released yet!
« on: January 27, 2018, 02:48:15 AM »
We have just passed the last work day before the official opening day of tax season, and the all-important (for us moustachers) 8606 form has not been released!

The link @ the IRS website is the 2016 form:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8606.pdf

There is however a draft one for 2017, which seems to be the same except for the year:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/f8606--dft.pdf

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
Re: The 8606 form has not been released yet!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 02:36:32 PM »
That means you're waiting to file your taxes if you need that form. Schedule A was not available as of a couple days ago either.

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 10:21:50 PM »
This is outrageous.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 03:10:36 AM »
Totally ridiculous. It’s not like the IRS has anything else to be doing weeks after a once-in-a-generation overhaul of the tax code!

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:20:04 PM »
We have just passed the last work day before the official opening day of tax season, and the all-important (for us moustachers) 8606 form has not been released!

The link @ the IRS website is the 2016 form:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8606.pdf

There is however a draft one for 2017, which seems to be the same except for the year:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/f8606--dft.pdf

8606 is now updated for 2017. (Your link now goes to the 2017 version.) TurboTax help says it will be available on TurboTax on 2/15/2018.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:22:29 PM by macoconut »

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 05:40:35 AM »
Yes, it was released, and in time for me to fill out the paper and mail it in (I was going abroad for a long time, and so needed to get that form, since the IRS does not allow a printed signature!)  Interestingly, it was only a day or two after I complained about it to my curmudgeon senator.  Perhaps I was the reason for this to go earlier than planned?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 06:07:21 AM »
I would be shocked if the wheels of government turned anywhere near that quickly.

You know you get two extra months if you are abroad on the filing deadline, right?

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 10:13:23 AM »
I'm filing this year using free file fillable forms. Form 8606 is scheduled to be available on their website on Feb. 22. I've already set a reminder to finish up my taxes on that day. No biggie.

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 02:10:27 AM »
I would be shocked if the wheels of government turned anywhere near that quickly.

You know you get two extra months if you are abroad on the filing deadline, right?
Yes, I know that I have until Oct 15 to file, but on my current schedule of traveling, I am typically away past that date.

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 02:17:27 AM »
I'm filing this year using free file fillable forms. Form 8606 is scheduled to be available on their website on Feb. 22. I've already set a reminder to finish up my taxes on that day. No biggie.
I remember trying to use Free Fillable Forms once, but I seem to recall that it asked me to enter all the information from my 1099-R forms, which I saw absolutely no point in doing (at the time I was doing a staggered IRA rollover game to allow me to access Roth conversion basis before the 5-year seasoning date - and fortunately, I hit that 5-year date in 2015, which is when the IRS started to treat ALL IRAs as a single one with respect to the rollover rule).  And it seems that I am always dealing with a recharacterization of a Roth that has gone down in value, which necessitates me including a letter explaining the Net Income Attributable loss (and as well the custodian's letter substantiating the calculation of that loss) - and I have always feared that somehow the Free Fillable Forms would not allow me a nice way to include this letter.  Maybe I'll try it next year if my tax form is without issues like those.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 05:03:26 AM »
Yes, I know that I have until Oct 15 to file, but on my current schedule of traveling, I am typically away past that date.
Sorry, maybe this wasn't totally clear. What I meant was: If you are outside the US on April 17th, your extension is not due until June 15th.

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »
Sorry, maybe this wasn't totally clear. What I meant was: If you are outside the US on April 17th, your extension is not due until June 15th.
Filing the extension is no problem; I can do that online.  The problem is doing the tax form online (for me, at least).  Of course, possibly I could just fill out the online form with what should be Line 22 as Line 21 Other Income, and write "Miscellaneous", and then do a proper amended return once I am back in the USA.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 07:26:50 PM »
Oh, so you’re outside of the US for months at a time - got it. (Me too.)