Author Topic: Something screwy with my HSA tax return form...help?  (Read 959 times)

Sojourner

• Stubble
Something screwy with my HSA tax return form...help?
« on: April 17, 2018, 06:32:14 PM »
Using the TurboTax interview instructions, the attached image shows how my HSA Form 8889 Part I turned out on the printout.  It resulted in zero deduction off Adjusted Gross Income on 1040 Line 25, which I would think is incorrect?  Do I not get a deduction for HSA contributions?

For 2017, I contributed $5,243 to my HSA account via employer and either my employer or the health insurance carrier contributed $1,500 (not sure who actually makes that contribution in addition to my contribution).  For a total of $6,743 added to my HSA acct.

Can anyone tell me if/where something got messed up?  If so, I will need to file an amended return for the last two tax years because it's this same way on both returns.

Nate79

• Stubble
Re: Something screwy with my HSA tax return form...help?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 08:30:49 PM »
Looks correct to me. Contributions made thru employer are actually made by the employer and the tax deduction has already happened on your W2. You don't get an additional tax deduction because you didn't pay tax on the money in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 09:09:30 PM »
Yep, already accounted for on your w-2.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:08:00 AM »
Okay, thanks for your feedback!  Glad to know I wasn't ripping myself off.

Really appreciate you taking the time.