Author Topic: Please help with form CP2000  (Read 237 times)


  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Please help with form CP2000
« on: July 17, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »

I finally made a tax mistake in 2016 return and forgot to add one of 1099s.  Opening too many brokerage accounts has its downside. So, I got IRS CP2000 form asking to pay the difference, but the amount they "propose" to charge is $5xx while my own calculations via TaxAct suggest $2xx. Talking to them is impossible. What should I do? Details below:

The form says:
Changes to your 2016 tax return:
Securities:                             $ xx
Taxable dividends                  $9xx
Income net difference       $9xx
Change to taxable income $13xx

Tax you owe $5xx (plus interest)

The main differences between their calculations and mine are:
1) We both agree on income net difference of $9xx. But they somehow move that number up to $13xx and call it "change to taxable income" with no explanation. Why?
2) They charge my qualified dividends at a higher rate. They admit that "you may be eligible for a lower tax rate since the dividends are qualified. Please respond and tell us of any needed changes..."

I've never communicated with IRS before. I am happy to send them back my calculations but trying to do it right first time to avoid further complications.
What am I missing? Why did they go up from $9xx "Net income difference" to $13xx "Change to taxable income"? What's the best way to proceed?




  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 8769
Re: Please help with form CP2000
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 07:07:53 PM »
Might be worth a read through various posts: cp2000 - Google Search.

In short, state your case as you understand it ought to be - if you are correct, it is likely the IRS will accept your explanation.

I can imagine a "Net income difference" leading to a somewhat larger "Change to taxable income" if you are in phaseout zones for various form 1040 "front page" deductions (e.g., student loan interest, tIRA contribution, etc.).  A taxable increase ~50% larger than the net income difference seem high, but the only way to know for sure is to run the numbers.  Good luck!