Author Topic: IRA to 401(k) conversion tax implications  (Read 881 times)

wtetsell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
IRA to 401(k) conversion tax implications
« on: December 18, 2017, 05:42:46 PM »
I Recently learned about the backdoor Roth IRA.  I want to take advantage of it with future money, but I already have 60K in the traditional IRA (40K contributed with after tax $ and 20K in earnings).  I want to defer paying taxes on the 20K until later when my tax bracket is lower or I have more disposable income.  Is converting my current balance to my companies 401K plan the solution to avoid/defer the tax on my $20K in earnings and avoid a high 33 prorata % being applied to furture backdoor roth conversion? 

I’ll rephrase for clarity, If I convert 100% of my current traditional IRA to my employers 401K to zero out my IRA account balance, and complete the 8606 form, will future $ put in the traditional account and moved into a roth IRA with the backdoor approach be impacted by the 60K historical funds now in my 401K?  Will the IRS say we need to apply the pro rata 33% ratio to future backdoor roth conversions since you had that balance in your account in the past?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
Re: IRA to 401(k) conversion tax implications
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 08:12:31 PM »
Will your company accept that rollover?  Some have restrictions on what types of IRAs they accept.  If they will, then I think you are clear on doing backdoor Roth once the rollover is completed. 

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: IRA to 401(k) conversion tax implications
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 09:25:18 PM »
I Recently learned about the backdoor Roth IRA.  I want to take advantage of it with future money, but I already have 60K in the traditional IRA (40K contributed with after tax $ and 20K in earnings).
You might want to consider what you already have as a back door Roth, just one for which you have waited longer than usual to convert.  See Roth Conversion - Math check - Bogleheads.org for discussion of situation that seems similar.