Author Topic: Medical expenses and counseling  (Read 1227 times)

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
Medical expenses and counseling
« on: December 27, 2017, 12:57:21 PM »
If you are itemizing, does counseling with an LPC count as a deductible medical expense?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Medical expenses and counseling
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »
I believe so. Check IRS.gov, there should be a publication with more detail.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 07:01:24 AM »
I read through the publication and couldn't find information one way or the other. It does say you can deduct seeing a psychiatrist it psychologist for the treatment or prevention of a mental illness, but doesn't speak to counselors and good mental health.

I feel like it would be, but I'm just trying to find something more definitive.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 02:32:08 PM »
does insurance cover it? Cause I'm guessing that if insurance would cover it, it probably counts for taxes. (general rule of thumb, and I'm not a tax expert, ymmv)

Side note - it only really matters if your medical expenses are high enough to deduct, and there's a 7.5% (check that...) of AGI threshold you have to meet first.  Plus, you have to itemize deductions. It's a pretty big hurdle honestly. Since you're asking, I'm assuming that you've cleared those amounts, but just in case you haven't, don't give yourself a headache.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »
does insurance cover it? Cause I'm guessing that if insurance would cover it, it probably counts for taxes. (general rule of thumb, and I'm not a tax expert, ymmv)

Side note - it only really matters if your medical expenses are high enough to deduct, and there's a 7.5% (check that...) of AGI threshold you have to meet first.  Plus, you have to itemize deductions. It's a pretty big hurdle honestly. Since you're asking, I'm assuming that you've cleared those amounts, but just in case you haven't, don't give yourself a headache.
They don't accept insurance, but they advise clients to submit billing, so maybe its a yes.

I did know about the threshold. We are itemizing this time and we had a baby with crappy insurance in 2017, so we def cleared 7.5% of AGI.

Rocketman

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 09:36:47 PM »
yes it is a deductible schedule A medical expense.
Also do not forget the medical vehicle miles, it doesn’t add much but if you are over the threshold - you g t to use them.