Author Topic: Married and 4 or ?  (Read 787 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Married and 4 or ?
« on: January 01, 2019, 06:47:58 AM »
So I think I know the answer to this but I want to make sure.

So I am 54 and Fire'd almost 4 years and My DW is 50. She went back to work awhile ago because of Healthcare concerns, 4 kids etc.. and just really enjoys it and its easy peasy for her.  Anyhow we are trying to max out as much as we can her check to pay no tax.

Right now we are maxing out HSA and contributing to her 401k because of the 4% match and our over all 401ks are only about 18% of our investing the rest basically Vanguard Index. 

We have 2 kids in College, one will be 20 In February, One will be 19 in August and then one 14 and one 13.

My question is:

Should she on her W4 form claim Married and 4 or Married and Zero? to be able to get as much into 401k as possible to tax deffer and save.

We live comfortable then on my withdrawal and the small amount left over of her check after all the deductions.(Fica, Med Fica, Dental, Vision, Medical, HSA  and 401k).

My Withdrawal is 92k a year.

terran

• Magnum Stache
Re: Married and 4 or ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 07:16:01 AM »
It shouldn't matter what she claims on her w4. 401(k) contributions aren't included in taxable income, so her withholding will be calculated after the 401(k) deduction. If her 401(k) contributions are high enough her withholding will be $0 no matter how she fills out her W4.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: Married and 4 or ?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 07:18:19 AM »
It shouldn't matter what she claims on her w4. 401(k) contributions aren't included in taxable income, so her withholding will be calculated after the 401(k) deduction. If her 401(k) contributions are high enough her withholding will be $0 no matter how she fills out her W4.

ahhhh! thats right. Duh! lol  Thanks