Author Topic: Journal of Accountancy article?  (Read 1371 times)

Joel

• Pencil Stache
Journal of Accountancy article?
« on: July 31, 2018, 10:09:33 PM »
Did anyone else see the Journal of Accountancy article on the FIRE community? It was pretty cool to see the write-up in a professional journal that I follow, albeit from the perspective of what CPAs can do to help those in the FIRE community.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Journal of Accountancy article?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:28:19 AM »
I'm going to guess that article is in the unread JofA sitting in my backpack. Now I have incentive to read it on the train tonight.

Trirod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 08:26:28 AM »
Just read it - was surprised to see this covered in the JoA, since most members of the FIRE community are enthusiastic DIY'ers.  Although even MMM has a CPA do his taxes now.

Kind of curious as to whether the writer of the article frequents this site??

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 07:19:41 AM »
Link for the curious: https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2018/aug/planning-for-early-retirement.html

I assumed this was behind a paywall but it wasn't.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 08:36:17 AM »
Just read it - was surprised to see this covered in the JoA, since most members of the FIRE community are enthusiastic DIY'ers.  Although even MMM has a CPA do his taxes now.

this is a legit hole in what MMM preaches... if side gigs/hustles/hobbyish buisnesses get to a certain point, the CPA is going to save you a lot of $$.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 10:36:19 AM »

this is a legit hole in what MMM preaches... if side gigs/hustles/hobbyish buisnesses get to a certain point, the CPA is going to save you a lot of $$.

This is literally exactly what MMM preaches: https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2016/02/10/should-you-do-your-own-taxes/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!