Author Topic: is there is any investment account with no taxation  (Read 1107 times)

sai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
is there is any investment account with no taxation
« on: September 05, 2020, 11:11:31 AM »
Hi,

I'm working on retiring early... Is there is any investment account in US where I can put my after tax money and do trading on my own.... general trading account works for me but every year I'm paying taxes on my profits... is there is any way to avoid taxes with different account like 401k.... Problem with 401k is I'm dont wait for 59 1/2 ... so its not option for me

If there is no way to avoid taxes even though its after tax money ... is there is any way to pay taxes when I plan to withdraw the money rather than every year?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
Re: is there is any investment account with no taxation
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 11:17:44 AM »
Yes and you have much to learn. For one thing, there are many ways to access your 401k early!

If you defer taxes now and withdrawal small amounts later to control your tax bracket, even the 10% penalty can be a bargain.

A Roth IRA will allow you to remove your contributions at any time.

You could also use set it and forget it funds, rather than trading, so that there isn't much in capital gains until you want to use the money.

sai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 11:28:25 AM »
Thanks ixtap for response...  I may lose working visa anytime and I need to go back to my home country even though I prefer here... so there is no option to withdraw small amounts .. because after 3 years any outside income in my country is taxable ... so double tax...

I'm not eligible for roth IRA...

kindly suggest me what other options I have...

Yes and you have much to learn. For one thing, there are many ways to access your 401k early!

If you defer taxes now and withdrawal small amounts later to control your tax bracket, even the 10% penalty can be a bargain.

A Roth IRA will allow you to remove your contributions at any time.

You could also use set it and forget it funds, rather than trading, so that there isn't much in capital gains until you want to use the money.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 11:36:07 AM »
If you are legally working in the US (aka a tax resident), you are eligible for a Roth IRA. Your income may require the backdoor method, but you are still eligible.

However, the expectation of leaving the country soon likely means that a taxable account is going to be your best option, depending on a few details. Best to consult with someone who can look at those details with you.

sai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 11:42:50 AM »
Thanks for your suggestion...

If you are legally working in the US (aka a tax resident), you are eligible for a Roth IRA. Your income may require the backdoor method, but you are still eligible.

However, the expectation of leaving the country soon likely means that a taxable account is going to be your best option, depending on a few details. Best to consult with someone who can look at those details with you.

sai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 11:25:30 PM »
Any other suggestions?

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 01:34:30 PM »
Any other suggestions?

Read the stickies at the top of this section as well as the investment order thread.  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/investment-order/msg1333153/#msg1333153

Abe Froman

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 06:34:50 AM »
Also consider an HSA if you want pre-tax funding, tax free growth and tax free withdrawals (either for medical expenses or after 65 years old). Fientist has a great article.
https://www.madfientist.com/ultimate-retirement-account/

sai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 07:45:01 PM »
I have HSA account...