Author Topic: I did not receive a 1098  (Read 1465 times)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
I did not receive a 1098
« on: February 01, 2016, 01:51:56 PM »
The IRS information is maze...I hope someone here can help me with this question. Thank you in advance.

I refinanced my house in the middle of last year and I did not receive a 1098 from the previous mortgage holder (Freedom Mortgage; FM). I did receive one from the new company. Moreover the website for FM has been basically down for two weeks. It has some information but nothing related to a year-end statement or interest paid, all of these pages say something about them having website issues that will be fixed by mid-December...

In my past experience with FM, they are VERY unresponsive to any and all inquiries. I am very glad they no longer hold my mortgage.

So here is my question, what do I do if I cannot get the form from them? It would also be tricky to estimate what I paid in interest without more information from them as I don't know what the balance was when the year started but I might be able to find some of this from Mint.

Can I estimate interest paid and state I did not receive a 1098? Or is that a no-no?

Ricksun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: I did not receive a 1098
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:23:26 PM »
First of all, institutions are required to send you the tax forms by 31 Jan.  That's send; not receive, so you might receive it the upcoming week, so there's still hope.  They also could have sent it when your relationship ended; if that's the case, you might not get another one now. 

If you have the last statement you could provide the information on your tax return, but I wouldn't estimate it. 

Do they have an online logon portal that you might retrieve your account info from?

If not, I'd wait a week for it to arrive and then start calling.   Good luck!

Ricksun

Megma

• Pencil Stache
Re: I did not receive a 1098
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 06:03:28 PM »
Thanks, I thought I neede to receive it but ok, I need to wait longer. Their online portal is unfortunately not working...