Author Topic: HSA contribution error, can it be fixed?  (Read 386 times)


  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1992
HSA contribution error, can it be fixed?
« on: January 05, 2019, 07:49:01 AM »
So, we switched to a new payroll system at work as of the first of this year.  There was some trouble with getting my data in particular imported.  Several things got corrupted.  Luckily 3 out of the 4 things either aren't really important or won't come into play for some time, so are not a big deal.

However, the 1 that is an issue right away is my HSA.  The new system did my contribution twice on the first paycheck.  Once pre-tax and once post-tax.  It's fixed for next week, but that doesn't help me for week 1.  While it's easy enough to adjust my contributions to avoid going over the maximum, how do I resolve the post-tax contribution?  Is there a form to file at tax time to get that extra tax money back and what sort of supporting documentation do I need to collect to go with it?  Or do I just accept the loss of ~$30-40 in tax on that erroneous contribution?


  • Senior Mustachian
  • ********
  • Posts: 13146
Re: HSA contribution error, can it be fixed?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 08:19:16 AM »
Yes, you can get the extra money refunded. Contact the HSA administrator - they should have the right form on their website.

Fix it before filing and it becomes irrelevant to taxes.


  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 3
Re: HSA contribution error, can it be fixed?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 10:24:03 AM »
@G-dog is right. Do this if your administrator doesn't charge you a fee. If they do charge for improper funding, then you may still pre-tax the money when you do your your taxes - this may be complicated if though. If the employer "counts" the post-tax contribution as pre-tax, and reports it this way to the IRS.