Author Topic: grieving taxes  (Read 611 times)


  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 3
grieving taxes
« on: October 07, 2017, 08:01:13 PM »
I bought a home almost two years ago from a senior citizen. It turns out that I was unknowingly under their STAR plan and may taxes went up a couple thousand dollars after it expired. Is there anything I can do get them down again? What's the normal process?


  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1405
Re: grieving taxes
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 10:22:54 PM »
Given that you mention STAR I'm guessing you're in NY? All primary residences are eligible for the star deduction, but I think seniors get a larger deduction, so you'll be able to get some of the reduction back, but probably not all of it. You'll need to apply and there are deadlines, so you might be out of luck for this year. Check with your local assessors office.

teen persuasion

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1032
Re: grieving taxes
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 07:39:03 PM »