Author Topic: Funding a Roth 401k with index fund shares I already own  (Read 1153 times)

GOFU

• Stubble
Funding a Roth 401k with index fund shares I already own
« on: February 03, 2018, 12:03:42 PM »
I want to fund my individual Roth 401k. Let's say $20k. Let's say it's held at Vanguard.

Question 1: I understand I can fund a Roth 401k with $20k worth of shares I already own in a taxable account. Is that correct?

Question 2: The price of the shares I want to move into the 401k is higher than when I bought them, so I have unrealized LTCG in those shares. If I move those shares from the taxable account to the Roth 401k is that a taxable event? I mean, could that be considered a "sale" of those assets or otherwise trigger LTCG tax liability now?

Could this affect the non-taxability of the qualified distributions from the Roth 401k?

I could just buy $20k of new shares to fund the Roth 401k. But my idea is to move the existing shares with the lower basis and unrealized gain into the tax-advantaged account and shield the gains by later taking them as qualified distributions.

How about it?

Nate79

• Stubble
Re: Funding a Roth 401k with index fund shares I already own
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 03:00:11 PM »
You can not fund tax advantage accounts like 401k and IRA's with securities in taxable accounts. They must be sold first and then transfer the cash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

GOFU

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »
You can not fund tax advantage accounts like 401k and IRA's with securities in taxable accounts. They must be sold first and then transfer the cash.

Can you cite me to a source?

Nate79

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 03:43:42 PM »

I'm sure there are references but you can ask Vanguard yourself. The gains are taxable period.

There are thousands of references that this is not allowed for IRAs.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 09:24:44 PM »

One can start with the title of subsection (k) of section 401 of the US code: (k) Cash or deferred arrangements.

That's where "401(k)" plans get their name.

JrBills5150

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 01:29:29 PM »

IRC § 408(a)(1) - generally "no contribution will be accepted unless it is in cash". I am not aware of any instances where you can transfer assets in-kind to an IRA or 401k from a taxable account.