Author Topic: form 8889..hsa...need some help.  (Read 1115 times)

coco1106

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
form 8889..hsa...need some help.
« on: May 18, 2019, 09:39:12 PM »

Hi,
 Can anyone explain form 8889, I believe it pertains to HSA reporting on your tax return, I have never heard of it before, I just happen to read about it today, hoping this is something I did not need to file !!

we have a HSA, husband contributes pre tax $$, his company contributes about $1000 a year.

We have not used the account for any medical bills, it has not been touched, only contributions were made each month.
the amount of contributed was on his w2 box 12 with a w besides it.

We get our taxs done professionally and I presumed  everything  was/is ok with the filing............then as I was reading I read about form 8889 and then started to panic, I went through the tax return and I dont see a from 8889??????

I have been scanning the internet for hours and hours,  trying to figure this out, I really am at a loss, did our tax guy make a error ?
any information would be very much appreciated, since I wont get much sleep tonight worrying about this I will try to do more research.
Like I said only pretax $$ were contributed , and the account has never been touch, zero distribution,.

thank again for any insight.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: form 8889..hsa...need some help.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 10:30:48 PM »
We get our taxs done professionally and I presumed  everything  was/is ok with the filing............then as I was reading I read about form 8889 and then started to panic, I went through the tax return and I dont see a from 8889??????
Like I said only pretax $$ were contributed , and the account has never been touch, zero distribution,.
In the situation you describe, form 8889 would not have changed any refund or tax due.  So sleep well about that.  You should be able to fill it in by hand to confirm.

But as noted in https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8889.pdf:
You must file Form 8889 if any of the following applies.
•You (or someone on your behalf, including your employer) made contributions for 2018 to your HSA.
If your preparer did not file 8889 on your behalf, the preparer should file an amended return including it at no cost to you.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 10:35:14 PM »
Every year you (or your employer) contributes to an HSA, you should file a Form 8889 with your taxes. Every year you withdraw from an HSA, you should file a Form 8889 from your taxes.

Company contributions are reported on the W-2s you presumably gave to your tax pro. Even if you never volunteered any information about your HSA to them, they should have noticed this and asked you for more information.

As MDM said, if all the contributions to your HSA came from payroll deductions these contributions were already taken out of your W-2 income so you probably don't owe the IRS anything (or vice versa), but you still should have submitted the form.

coco1106

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 10:47:33 PM »

will there be a penalty for not submitting this form ??

Should I call our tax guy on monday to sort this out, or leave until next yr?

Thank you for replying, I really appreciate it.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 10:58:39 PM »
There should be no penalty.

No reason to wait until next year, but also no big deal if it doesn't get done immediately.

coco1106

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 11:05:38 PM »

ok, thank you,

I will call the tax guy on monday and talk to him, hope we can sort this out.

thank again.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!