Author Topic: solar credit tax question  (Read 858 times)

porterboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
solar credit tax question
« on: February 07, 2020, 08:14:04 AM »
Hi folks - We're looking at getting solar installed on our home for many reasons. We will be going the financing route (3.24%, 12 years) again, for many reasons. The financing through our state employees credit union is set up so you don't pay interest on the amount of the 26% solar tax credit (in this case, ~$6700) as long as you pay that amount in full within 18 months, and the monthly payment is based only on the remaining 74% of the project. So monthly payment is actually less than our current electric bill, and will drop off after 12 years at the most but we intend to pay off earlier so we will have no monthly electric bill (besides the fees associated with net metering) for the remaining life of the solar panals - it's a pretty nice deal. I'm trying to understand the implication of the (non-refundable) solar tax credit on our taxes. Our taxable take home will be around $70k for 2020, so 12% bracket I think (tax owed = ~$5k). We won't itemize, and have two children so we get the standard deduction of $24,800 + $4,000 child credit + I think a $200 child care credit (not sure if that is only considered if you itemize). As mentioned, the estimated solar tax credit is $6700 (26% of the project). How does this play out in our taxes? I don't fully understand the non-refundable vs. partially refundable (which I think the child care credit is...refundable up to $2800?). Just wanting to see what our tax return would look like come Feb 2021 to see if we'd use savings to pay that 26% of the loan off, or if we'd be actually expecting $ back from our taxes that could be put towards it. I have no formal tax training so appreciate any clear, layman's explanation you can provide! Thanks so much!

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: solar credit tax question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 09:04:40 AM »
Will you even be paying $6,700 in federal taxes in 2020 to get back?

It took us 3 years before we had enough tax obligation to use the entire solar tax credit.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Re: solar credit tax question
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 09:23:49 AM »
So a couple of comments.

The credit is 26% this year and 22% next year, and nonexistent (currently) for 2022 and beyond.

This is a credit that the government has been extending for the past few years.  It is currently extended through the end of this year, and may or may not be extended again.  If it expires before you use up your credit, you're probably out of luck.

The credit looks like it can reduce your taxes owed on the federal income tax level to zero but not below zero.  It can be carried forward to future years, as long as the credit is extended.

The dependent care credit is independent of whether you itemize or not itemize.  The dependent care credit is also nonrefundable like the energy credit, but there is no carryforward.  So it can reduce your current year income taxes to zero but not below zero.

Some states also have energy efficiency credits that may be worthwhile checking into.