Author Topic: CPA recommendation familiar with tech companies + equity  (Read 959 times)

roguelemon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
CPA recommendation familiar with tech companies + equity
« on: July 07, 2018, 04:18:01 PM »
Hi folks,

I work at a tech company and got a decent amount of shares released to me this year. As a result, I'm going to end up in the highest tax bracket this year and would like some tax advice from someone familiar with tech companies and equity. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one?

About me: I'm based in Austin, TX and make $92k/year. My shares in the company are currently valued at about $120k and were released to me in early 2018.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: CPA recommendation familiar with tech companies + equity
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 05:00:53 PM »
I'm not a CPA but am a tech company employee who has received a good chunk of my pay in equity for most of the past decade. I've dealt with incentive stock options both before and after IPO, and stock grants at public companies. Feel free to ask me what's on your mind.

CareCPA

• Bristles
    • Care CPA - Tax, Accounting and Payroll
Re: CPA recommendation familiar with tech companies + equity
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 07:35:17 PM »
I believe the TCJA passed in 2017 had some changes in how you can treat equity pay. From the little detail you provided, it sounds like you should still have to recognize the income in 2018, but you should make sure whomever you speak with is up to date on the new rules just in case that isn't true.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!