Author Topic: Corrected 1099  (Read 747 times)

zygote

• Bristles
Corrected 1099
« on: March 26, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »
Background: My wife and I keep separate finances, but we file taxes jointly and I do them myself with HR Block software.

I did our taxes a few weeks ago and left them alone for a while to make sure we didn't get any new forms (we weren't expecting any) and that I could double check everything with fresh eyes. We were due a pretty big refund, so I filed on Sunday to get that moving.

OF COURSE, yesterday we got a corrected 1099 for her brokerage account. So now I'm going to have to file an amended return for federal and state. I think it's going to end up being close to a wash (dividends went up but so did foreign tax paid so we'll get a credit for that), but I'm sure the IRS does not appreciate hand-waving and wants the final numbers.

This is only my second year doing combined taxes, and I'm also somewhat new to investing so I didn't realize they only sent out the first one due to an IRS deadline and that it's common to get a corrected one. So I know to wait until closer to April 15th to hit "file" next year.

Does anyone have any advice? Both the federal and state returns have been accepted, but I don't have the refunds yet. I'd like to get this straightened out ASAP, but also don't want to fix it too early and get another corrected form. Plus I assume it's too late to intercept the refund anyway. So I'm thinking I should wait until May or June just to make sure everything is settled. From what I can tell online, I have three years so it's not a huge rush. Does that make sense?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Corrected 1099
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 09:52:55 AM »
I would wait until you get the refund, then file the amended return. Just keeps things neater. However, you can prepare it now and just sit on it.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
Re: Corrected 1099
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 06:35:56 PM »
Sibley may have the best answer,
My accountant told me to wait, when the same thing happened to me.

I get an amended 1099 every year (I hope this was the last) I wait until
late march to do my taxes, this year I got my amended 1099 on 3/18 and
my appointment was set for 3/20.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!