Author Topic: Convert a 2016 Roth IRA contribution to a traditional IRA contribution instead.  (Read 1526 times)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
A few months ago I contributed the maximum for a Roth IRA for 2016 tax year ( I use Vanguard). Does anyone know whether I can fix that and make it a traditional IRA deduction (2016 tax year) which I realize now I should have done in the first place?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
A few months ago I contributed the maximum for a Roth IRA for 2016 tax year ( I use Vanguard). Does anyone know whether I can fix that and make it a traditional IRA deduction (2016 tax year) which I realize now I should have done in the first place?
Yes, you can.  See https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/IRA_recharacterization.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
Thank you, so appreciate your help !!

Slurgi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I am looking to do the same thing. I also use Vanguard as my IRA / Roth IRA custodian.

I was hopeful that it'd be possible to complete this request electronically, but the literature I found on the Vanguard website makes it look like I need to fill out a 4-page form "Authorization to Recharacterize IRA Assets" and mail it in. Is that the same thing you're seeing?

terran

• Magnum Stache
I don't believe you can do it electronically, but I have been able to do it over the phone.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!