Author Topic: Canadians: can you calculate your T5008 so you don't wait for it?  (Read 1784 times)

moustacheverte

• Stubble
Hi,

I am filling my tax return and because the government owes me money, I'd like to file and send my return ASAP to get in before everyone in April.

The only form I'm missing is the pro-forma T5008 and its QC counterpart. All I have from my brokerage is a listing with what I bought and sold during 2015, on which date, how many and fo how much but it doesn't have the little box numbers that match the tax form. The brokerage said they send these out around the middle of March.

How can I fill my return with the listing I have on hand? Is it possible at all?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:41:24 AM by moustacheverte »

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Canadians: can you calculate your T5008 so you don't wait for it?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 05:13:35 PM »
Is it a large amount? One alternative is to file now and re-file later on. You can file a T-1 adjustment request form, its a lot of extra hassle though.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1-adj/README.html

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 05:54:40 PM »
If you attended to your record keeping and know your ACBs, then you can use your brokerage statements to complete Schedule 3.

EXCEPT, where you have traded in ETFs you may still have to wait on a T3 summary for the info on return of capital included in any distributions that you may have received that could affect ACB. And info of any foreign tax paid. That form isn't coming out for another month.

Al

moustacheverte

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 01:16:48 PM »
I didn't keep any records and was trading TD e-series mutual funds. All I have is that statement thing, labelled T5008 by TD which doesn't have any of the cases matching the tax software.

moustacheverte

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 08:00:00 AM »
EXCEPT, where you have traded in ETFs you may still have to wait on a T3 summary for the info on return of capital included in any distributions that you may have received that could affect ACB. And info of any foreign tax paid. That form isn't coming out for another month.

This was the right answer after all. I thought I could calculate averages using the statement and be done with it, so off I filed my taxes. A week later, I received the T3 and now have to refile... I guess I'll know next year.