Author Topic: Best tax software for US citizens abroad/calculating FTCs?  (Read 755 times)

blackletterlaw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Best tax software for US citizens abroad/calculating FTCs?
« on: December 28, 2018, 06:20:34 AM »
Recently moved abroad and looking to do my own taxes for 2018 (I know I have an automatic extension...)

Any good recommendations on tax software for US citizens living abroad?

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
Re: Best tax software for US citizens abroad/calculating FTCs?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 02:47:51 AM »
You might try inputting your foreign address into an online version of the tax software first, to see if it stops you there.  I think Turbo Tax rejects foreign addresses as your place of residence.

TaxSlayer accepts foreign addresses as your place of residence, so you can use that if you don't find any others.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 02:48:31 PM »
Not a direct answer, but here is my approach:

Given how complicated dual taxes are, and the high penalties involved for minor things (like forgetting to fill out an FBAR) I am having an accounting firm do my taxes this year.  I do expect this will be costly.  I did my US taxes myself for many years, even with moves / home sales / investing / partnerships.  I used HR Block.  What I plan to do is "shadow" the accounting firm's work on my own with HR Block again.  I won't file this, but I want to see what I am missing, and what the software can and can't do.

It's an experiment; I view it as a learning exercise.  I will see at the end of the process if I am confident to continue on my own, or not.

blackletterlaw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 05:44:01 PM »
Cool.

I'm actually thinking about doing TurboTax vs. Tax Slayer to compare what the differences are.

In any case, I've heard a few people make certain recommendations but....being abroad luckily I have an extended deadline to figure stuff out.

Also for this year I was abroad for less than half the year and am within the exemption amount...so this makes it easier for me as well this year too.