Author Topic: Am I missing anything? Help calculating taxes for a small contract (MISC-1099)  (Read 1429 times)

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
I'm going to be working a few months this year as a contract employee, making gross $5,500. I'll be receiving a 1099 for the 2016 tax year. I want to put away estimated tax, so there are no surprises come February 2017 (when we'll do our taxes). Can someone who more regularly works with 1099 taxes let me know if I'm missing anything?

Gross: $5,500
Federal Taxes (@ 25%): $1,375
IL Taxes (@ 5%): $275
Self Employment Taxes (@ 15.3%): $777.13
Total Withheld for Taxes: $2,427.13

Initially, this feels right to me--between 1/2 to 1/3 of the income. While on the face of it it looks like I'll also have to make a quarterly estimated tax payment (estimated tax liability of +$1,000), I expect our annual refund will cancel out most of the liability. When we get our refund this year I want to see how much we receive back; If it's more than $1,500 (which I expect it will be), I'll have a total tax liability of less than $1,000 for the 2016 year and won't need to send in quarterly payments.

I'll put away the money for taxes, and if it's a wash I'll use the money saved as I would the refund (down payment fund). If I still get more in a refund, great! If I do owe taxes for whatever reason, the money is there. I just want to make sure my tax estimates are on track, since the 1099 is new to me.

terran

• Magnum Stache
Assuming those are the correct marginal tax rates for fed and state it sounds about right for the actual tax on that income. I would probably just put in aside in a saving account and see how things shake out. As long as your withholding from your regular job will be at least the lower of 90% of your actual 2016 tax liability or either 100% or 110% (depending on income) of your 2015 tax liability then you'll be within the "safe harbor" to avoid any penalties on under withholding.

You should also look in to what requirements your state has.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf is the form for calculating estimated taxes, so that should help answer any questions you have.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Close - you get to deduct 1/2 of self employment taxes before figuring federal income tax.

So your federal taxable income from this contract is $5500 - 389 = 5111.

Federal tax is more like $1277.75

Possible this adjustment applies to state taxes as well, but as I don't live / work in Illinois to know first hand, can't say for sure.