Author Topic: YTD Returns Eclipsed YTD Spending!  (Read 2767 times)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
YTD Returns Eclipsed YTD Spending!
« on: November 21, 2017, 03:47:40 PM »
I wanted to share this before either a) stocks crash tomorrow or b) I end up having to spend money on an emergency tomorrow.

For the first time ever, my YTD portfolio appreciation has passed my YTD spending.

Let me basque in the glory until the reverse happens and my portfolio loses more in a year than I am able to add to it!

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
Re: YTD Returns Eclipsed YTD Spending!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 08:42:46 AM »
I wanted to share this before either a) stocks crash tomorrow or b) I end up having to spend money on an emergency tomorrow.

For the first time ever, my YTD portfolio appreciation has passed my YTD spending.

Let me basque in the glory until the reverse happens and my portfolio loses more in a year than I am able to add to it!

Sweet!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:52:42 AM »
I noticed something similar for us too. The last year's worth of gains have exceeded both our spending and income taxes combined! So our net worth has gone up by more than our gross income.

ardrum

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 09:58:50 AM »

Haha, same thing happened to me for the first time!  Likewise, I'm already mentally practicing imagining a drop in net worth exceeding my short-term ability to infuse more.  It might sound strange, but I'm actually looking forward to it.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 02:19:58 AM »
I noticed something similar for us too. The last year's worth of gains have exceeded both our spending and income taxes combined! So our net worth has gone up by more than our gross income.

This for sure!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 06:42:00 AM »
Isn't that a lot of fun the first time it happens? 

Another neat milestone is the first year you realize investment gains exceed contributions.  We hit 2x investment gains to contributions for the first time in 2017.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »

Another neat milestone is the first year you realize investment gains exceed contributions.  We hit 2x investment gains to contributions for the first time in 2017.

That sounds awesome!

I can only imagine what it feels like to lose 2X+ what you put in due to a market correction though.

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »
That is incredible.  Congratulations.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 05:56:07 PM »

That sounds awesome!

I can only imagine what it feels like to lose 2X+ what you put in due to a market correction though.

Well, funny you should ask.  I remember being 27 and having all of my accounts worth significantly less than I had contributed in early 2009.  That was fun.  I asked an accountant friend of mine if there was any way to realize losses in a Roth IRA, they told me nobody thought of that one when they wrote the rule

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 09:54:31 PM »
For us this year, return on capital was more than our net income, by a significant margin. Probably the first year that has ever happened for us.

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »
Awesome!