Author Topic: Yard and garage sale hunters - what have been your best finds?  (Read 3613 times)

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
What are some of the "diamonds in the rough" you have found at yard/garage sales?

I picked up a barely-used bike trailer for $30 Saturday (sells new for ~$160).

sideHustler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Yard and garage sale hunters - what have been your best finds?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 09:19:40 AM »
What are some of the "diamonds in the rough" you have found at yard/garage sales?

Bike trailer? Very nice.

I think the best thing I found was an old weight set. Brand new weights usually sell for $1-$2 per pound, but this guy was selling them for $0.50. Great for a home gym.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 05:45:38 PM »
Several Banana Republic men’s button down shirts in DH’s size for $0.50 per piece. I bought all of them. I think I spent $5 and had enough work shirts to last him two years.

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 07:34:37 PM »
I'll limit this to the last week or two.

New Dan Post cowboy boots in box: Paid $45 Sold for $195.44
Almost new Dan Post cowboy boots in box: Paid $45 Sold for $152.69
2 Lucchese leather tooled belts: Paid $40 Sold for $220
Vintage Radio Signal Tracer: Paid $5 Sold for $151.88
Heathkit "Most Accurate Clock": Paid $3 Sold for $178.80

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 08:56:36 AM »
I always look for the good metal gas cans to replace the modern junk plastic containers.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 11:36:19 AM »
Squier Jazz bass with cord, strap, case and bass amp for $45.  I'm a guitar player....not bass but can get by on bass and also used to have a hobby refurbing used electric guitars.  I set it up and sold the bass and amp separately for about $150 and kept the cord and strap.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 12:24:41 PM »

Rarely do I go to garage sales.

I wanted a tripod for my camera.

I went to a  garage sale and just by luck found one  in like-new condition for $2.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:27:14 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

Goldy

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 08:39:55 PM »
My best “diamond in the rough” was a faceting machine complete with thousand of carats of uncut rough stones.  Paid $450 for it and could easily sell it for $4,000+.  However, I have always actually wanted to try faceting but never thought I would due to the high price tag (this find was over $6k in replacement value).  So far I’ve cut over a dozen stones and will soon start selling them.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 10:18:58 PM »
Paging @Exflyboy. I know he has stories to tell.

jodelino

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 12:42:47 AM »
Two mid-century signed silkscreen prints for $15. I didn't recognize the artist--just liked them, took them home, framed them in garage sale frames. I see similar prints by this artist for sale in galleries for about $500-$650.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 07:59:31 AM »
Bought a Schwinn Peloton 10-speed bicycle for $20. Found out it was a collectible and sold it for $200 on ebay.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 12:22:46 PM »
Me: large teak table and four matching chairs for the back yard: $50.

My daughter: barely-used double stroller at the thrift store for $20, the kind with a heavy-duty metal frame, spring suspension, steerable wheels, bassinet/chair conversion, the whole nine yards. It looked like it had been a floor model somewhere; the only part that showed any wear was the clear plastic covering the footrest.

She looked it up after she got home and it's an Italian brand whose single strollers sell for $400 new. But it's not available retail in the US, so no-one has heard of the brand and she couldn't find a buyer on Craigslist. Luckily she has two kids!

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 01:10:06 PM »
Picked up a painting for $4, sold it for $3500 in a private sale.  Bought a Tiffany lighter for .25c sold it for 1100.  Bought and sold enough gold jewelry to finance several vacations including a trip to Alaska and several European countries. 

jodelino

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 10:00:08 PM »
MishMahs: Wow! You rule! Got any tips for the rest of us?

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 10:22:53 AM »
Learn to recognize quality would be #1. Most of the things I flipped for a big profit I had NO idea what they were when I purchased them, I just realized that the quality of them was way above the asking price.

I'd also say to gain an eye for what certain carats of gold look like, once you've trained your eyes, you can pick up what is actual gold vs what is "gold imitation". There is literally a color difference you can pick up.  Line up whatever gold you have by carat and you can see it, add in an imitation at the end of the chain and it's night and day. 

The nastiest looking metal is usually the sterling silver, so find the metal that looks almost black, then check for sterling marks. 

jodelino

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 10:54:02 AM »
MishMash:

Thanks for the great tips--very helpful. Interesting exercise with the gold--I will do that.

Thank you!

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 01:00:04 AM »
Basically everything in our house. Most furniture, tools, all the bikes except for some bought back in the 80s, stereo stuff, books, CDs, vinyl records (amazing new condition classical boxed sets from the 60s). Hmmm, what do we ever buy new? A few appliances bought ages ago. Not a lot!
Garage sales, consignment places, flea markets, online want ads. It’s all there for the taking.

most recently: some young guy’s dream stereo from the late 80s, powerful, high end, awesome speakers. For our “cottage.” Sounds deliriously good. Cost like one restaurant dinner.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 07:55:21 AM »
My best “diamond in the rough” was a faceting machine complete with thousand of carats of uncut rough stones. 

This is the most hilariously literal answer ever.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!