Author Topic: Wrapify - Make money by putting Ads on your car  (Read 4617 times)

Expressed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Wrapify - Make money by putting Ads on your car
« on: September 04, 2017, 11:27:27 PM »
Has anyone heard of the startup, Wrapify? They have a service that will provide free ad wrapping installation for your vehicle and can earn you money while you log the driven miles by tracking with your phone app.

They claim people make anywhere from $400-600 per month, and I've seen some posts online of people reporting .60 per mile payouts. The only caveat is that they will not accept your car if it is too old and not good looking enough (older used cars are a fan favorite in Mustache land).

I recently bought a new 2017 Corolla myself (everyone line up for the face punching) and plan on trying this app out to see what I can get from it, if $600 or even $400 is possible that will totally cover the cost of my monthly payment, even with paying income tax.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Wrapify - Make money by putting Ads on your car
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:39:10 PM »
Just curious, with this being your first post and all: are you affiliated with them in any way? This is not a new concept, at least in California. There seem to be plenty of people who don't mind driving around in a rolling billboard.

SimpleSpartan

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 12:03:30 AM »
Just curious, with this being your first post and all: are you affiliated with them in any way?.....)

Yea OP doesn't look good recommending a company as your first post....hopefully your just trying to be helpful.

IMO many of these companies (at least to my knowledge) requires that you drive XXX miles per month which is the exact opposite of the MMM core beliefs in limiting your time in clown cars.

I can see it being a good side gig to cover expenses if you really did have a facepunch-worthy commute.

Expressed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 12:37:40 AM »
I had a feeling I would get called out for making some pro-company post. I guess all I can say is, time will prove I am genuine.

I've been a lurker and reader of MMM for a couple years now. This wrapify company seemed like a pretty good deal and I didn't see any posts about it on these forums so I finally felt like I may have something valuable to contribute to the community or possible learn something bad about it.

Edit: My original finding of this company was when I discovered, yet another company, Turo. I was doing some number crunching on the viability of buying a used car to offer at a full time rental on the Turo app. I was wondering if I could double-dip savings by having a ad-wrapped car that is also loaned out at a rental. My napkin math had me salivating over an easy $1k income per month on a car when I learned the wrapify TOS say you must be the only driver of the vehicle. I'm still researching into the possibility of Turo has a semi-passive income stream but I haven't dedicated a post to it.

Double Edit: To reply to CaliMom, I am indeed a new native of CA. So these things are new to me (from NY). I was welcomed into the new state by my car being totaled by a drunk driver. I opted to put the $4k insurance money into a brand new car.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:45:35 AM by Expressed »

PC2K

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:32:46 AM »
Not from the USA, but in the Netherlands there is a company that claims to sell advertising space on private cars. People will have to pay a certain amount to enter the database so companies can search for them and buy the ad space. No guarantees. People who tried it are never contacted by any company, nor have I ever seen actual private cars with ads.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 01:24:46 PM »
so you made the bad choice of buying a brand new car and are boasting about some app to help you pay for that car that would have worked on an older car.  maybe the most unmustachian post - buy a new car then pay for the financing by advertising crap so other people consume more. 

also wrapify has terrible reviews.

likely a paid poster who or someone who works there who could have done a bit more research before posting about a brand new corolla and some scammy looking software

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »
I agree with boarder42, but maybe to a less harsh extent.  I'm a bit surprised you've been lurking the MMM forums for a few years now, and yet decided to purchase a brand new vehicle.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 01:53:53 PM »
They pay per mile?  I'd barely make anything.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 02:09:49 PM »

you mean you dont own a new car and drive it everywhere?  shame on you for not promoting marketing and consumerism

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 02:21:09 PM »

you mean you dont own a new car and drive it everywhere?  shame on you for not promoting marketing and consumerism

I actually did buy a new car 3 years ago (my previous car was also bought new, 13 years before).  But it doesn't quite have 10,000 miles on it.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 02:36:47 PM »

I actually did buy a new car 3 years ago (my previous car was also bought new, 13 years before).  But it doesn't quite have 10,000 miles on it.

I wonder if they track your miles via GPS or what.  I'd be tempted to put the car on a lift and leave it running on cruise control for a few hours.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 02:49:36 PM »

that seems like a major waste of resources to spend the brand new car fees on something so little used.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 02:58:35 PM »

that seems like a major waste of resources to spend the brand new car fees on something so little used.

Eh, I have resources to "waste".
Used cars were scarce and damn expensive when I was looking. I was not willing to go with a car that didn't meet very current safety standards as I had previously broken my neck in a very minor car accident AND the primary reason the car is used is driving daughter to daycare.  The car was not expensive new anyway.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:06:34 PM by iowajes »

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 05:40:48 PM »
Has anyone heard of the startup, Wrapify? They have a service that will provide free ad wrapping installation for your vehicle and can earn you money while you log the driven miles by tracking with your phone app.

They claim people make anywhere from $400-600 per month, and I've seen some posts online of people reporting .60 per mile payouts. The only caveat is that they will not accept your car if it is too old and not good looking enough (older used cars are a fan favorite in Mustache land).

I recently bought a new 2017 Corolla myself (everyone line up for the face punching) and plan on trying this app out to see what I can get from it, if $600 or even $400 is possible that will totally cover the cost of my monthly payment, even with paying income tax.

Have you ever thought about once you are done with the wrap, what will happen then? I doubt the wrap will just peel off your car. It would be bad if the wrap ruin the paint, so now you got a 2017 Corolla with bad paint which is not cheap to fix and I am sure resale value is not good.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 02:00:29 PM »
I saw this featured on the movie (DVD) "How to be a latin lover".  It was hilarious because it was an advert for a stripper bar.  When the windows were rolled down, the heads of the passengers were on the strippers bodies!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 03:54:52 PM »
Have you ever thought about once you are done with the wrap, what will happen then? I doubt the wrap will just peel off your car. It would be bad if the wrap ruin the paint, so now you got a 2017 Corolla with bad paint which is not cheap to fix and I am sure resale value is not good.

That's a solved problem.  Any decent vinyl wraps come off cleanly without destroying the paint.

Expressed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 11:57:24 PM »
So here's an update. I've downloaded and logged 50 miles driving on the app (which they require before you can be given an offer for an ad campaign). But the app just leaves you in the dark about any active campaigns or literally anything going on. The only way to receive a message and access the app is setting the app to always track your location, super not cool. I'm not really a fan of their execution of this idea, I may log in here and there within the next couple weeks but it's ridiculous for them to assume I will let them track me 24/7.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 07:51:49 AM »

That's a solved problem.  Any decent vinyl wraps come off cleanly without destroying the paint.

Dumb question here, how is that a solved problem? Have you done this before with this company? Do you know if they using decent vinyl instead of the crap that will pull the paint/clear coat of the car? My money is they use the cheapest crap vinyl because 1. it is cheap 2. they do not care what happen with your car, but maybe I am missing something here.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 07:54:21 AM by sequoia »

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 09:09:38 AM »
I don't quite get all the bashing.  I got the text to get the app but because I refuse to upgrade to ios 9.2, I won't be going any farther.  (I am quite happy with my iPhone 4s on some fred flintstone version of ios). 

Having run racecars in the past, I know that vinyl will peel right off.  If it's really thin and cheap, add a hair dryer and it will peel right off.  There's nothing that's going to pull the paint off. 

I think it would be cool to be able to do this.  I can think of ways I'd fool the company.  They're tracking the phone.  So great.....when I take my 2 mile walk at lunch with the phone in my pocket.....win.  When I go out on the mountain bike......win.  When I drive a different car......win.  When I'm riding with a co-worker to a customer.....win.

I have nothing to do with this company, but just see what appears to be a bunch of piling on for no reason against them.  I like free money.  It's why I do low balance forgiveness on 4 credit cards and why I do tradelines.  Driving around with advertising on my car?  Who cares. 

Expressed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 12:23:07 PM »
To address the actual wrapping on the car. The company claims they use a type of 3M patented material which is put on and removed from a professional shop. I would assume the business would go south very fast if people reported their paint being damaged. Looking at the app reviews on iOS I see other people complaining they don't ever get offers for ad campaigns. It seems like it is a very saturated market to get an offer in.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!