Author Topic: Who's with me?  (Read 3449 times)

payitoff

Who's with me?
« on: December 09, 2013, 05:05:04 PM »
Have you ever heard of the 52 week savings plan?  Week 1, save $1. Week 2, save $2, etc. Will have $1378 in 52 weeks.  i am planning to do this backwards to see more progress and gives more motivation, i started this last year but fell through.

This time i will start at $52 for week 1, then $51 for week 2, $50 for week 3 and so on,  it will be a nice little extra something something for end of the year.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
Re: Who's with me?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 05:37:12 PM »
I saw this on tumblr--it's a pretty cute idea.

Here's a link for more info from Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/savinmakescents/52-week-savings-challenge/

Personally, I save way more than $52 every week, so there's no use in me joining in.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »
I think it is a good start for most folks out there. I was already saving more than 50% of my annual income which was in the mid-$30Ks following a drastic career change, and I plan to save even more in 2014, now that I took a new job a month ago that triples my salary, plus a new part time job where I am basically paid $10ish/hr for about 20 hours a week, just to sleep, in a real bed, in my own pj's...

Retireme32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 06:25:26 PM »
Wish! Ykphil, what sweet gig did you get? Please share.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 06:54:15 PM »
Wish! Ykphil, what sweet gig did you get? Please share.

My part time gig is really fantastic and I am really lucky to have found it through a friend who works for that outfit. I am a residential support worker (weekends, sleep shifts, whenever I am free), which involves taking care of one to three adults who are developmentally-challenged but who live on their own in autonomous group homes, pretty much like college kids sharing a house. These people are very sweet and easy to deal with, and have varying degrees of autonomy; they can take care of everything by themselves (cleaning, laundry, washing, cooking, eating, etc. with varying degrees of supervision). So I essentially hang out with them, watch TV, run errands, go for coffee at the local coffee shop, various appointments, drive them to swimming practice (some are training for the Special Olympics), I even take them see my friends, which they really enjoy because they feel part of the gang and the community...whatever I would normally do on my time off, I do it with them, and since I do not own a car in this city, I can even do some of my groceries while on the job. Waking shift hours are paid $25/hour to start, but the best is really the sleep shift where I get paid $10ish to sleep (in a real bed, in a separate bedroom, in my pj's) from 11 pm to 8 am, then one hour at regular pay to get them up and ready for the next shift worker, and after a quick shower, I'm off to work at my regular job...Credentials are basically to have empathy, be reliable, have a clean criminal record, and a valid drivers license. If I can do the sleep shift at least 2-3 times a week, I'll make an extra $10-15,000 a year just to sleep! Some of my colleagues have been doing sleep shifts full time for years, while keeping a regular full time job. I love this part-time job, not only for the extra cash, but for the enjoyment factor.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 08:31:27 PM »
That is really cool!

Now you said you were saving 50% of your income while only making 30K??.. You were living on less than $15k a year in other words??

Frank

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:47:39 PM »
Sorry to derail this thread, but I'd love a gig like that, ykphil. Very lucky it came across your path!

Charlotte

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 03:59:31 AM »
I did this last year. It was fun at first, but got to be another "payment" in my head, and a weekly one at that! In September I just added the remaining cash and was done with it!

Have fun!!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 08:46:50 AM »
That is really cool!

Now you said you were saving 50% of your income while only making 30K??.. You were living on less than $15k a year in other words??

Frank

The best thing that ever happened to me was to get fired from an executive position for political reasons back in March 2007. While this event was tough psychologically at first, it also came with a nice cash settlement that allowed me to pay off the mortgage, do nothing for a year or so, then "subsidize' a really fun and exciting flight attendant job (really more a lifestyle than a job) for 5 years which gave me a different outlook on work, the meaning of career, and life in general...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 09:39:43 AM »
Sort of a neat idea.  Multiplying this by 10 makes it too easy, and by 100 too hard. 

And you'd have to save up from the rest to do the final weeks .  Since most of us save about the same amount each month (barring a big bonus/other windfall), you'd "save" from one week to add to the "official savings" in another later week.. seems a bit contrived.

A neat idea for someone who sucks at saving money, but the problem is that then they just blow it at the end - they aren't actually saving anything. 
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.