Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 320063 times)

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2015, 07:39:28 PM »
My old laptop is on its last legs and I just received an Amazon gift card that would make the purchase of a new one more reasonable. I was really considering it today, but I decided that I don't use my old one enough to justify a brand new one just yet. I'm going to see how long I can wait it out, given that my work laptop is functioning fine (I work from home).

veronica mars rover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Now move Uranus, the Mercury's rising.
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2015, 08:37:15 PM »
Iced coffee.  I work at a place where everyone heads out together to buy lunch, every single day.  I feel strange about hanging back, so sometimes I go along and just buy a $1 iced coffee. 

Today I went along, but bought nothing. 

The world did not end.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2015, 09:08:37 PM »
A GIANT coffee, even though I really want one.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2015, 09:41:16 PM »
Husband suggested we take the kids out for Fish and Chips at the beach but I had already thawed the very last of our steaks (I think) from our side of beef so we had those instead and they were AMAZING! It was the tenderloin cuts. Also made a cucumber salad to go with it with the cukes from my neighbour's garden and some leftover pasta salad.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2015, 10:37:48 AM »
Lunch.  Didn't have any leftovers or stuff to make a normal lunch, but I grabbed some random celery sticks, carrots, half an avocado and some cheese and figured I could make do.

I also didn't buy a Hydroflask.  I actually almost bought a small one a couple weeks ago, but talked myself out of it.  Today I was sitting at a red light in the left-turn lane when a pickup came careening around the corner.  I heard a noise, looked over, and saw a Hydroflask bottle sitting in the middle of the road.  When the light changed, I whipped around the corner into the library parking lot, ran out into the street and grabbed it before it got ran over.  It appears to be brand-new, other than a few scuffs it incurred as it went flying off the truck.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2015, 12:12:32 PM »
Evereything :D

(So, I bought nothing today ;) )

wtrfre

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2015, 12:15:47 PM »
Lunch out.  Even though I've been feeling stressed and could have talked myself into it, I ate from my supplies.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »
I did not adopt a very cute senior pug from a rescue group today. One senior pug is enough!

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2015, 03:14:38 PM »
I did not adopt a very cute senior pug from a rescue group today. One senior pug is enough!

This is a tough one.  I managed to not adopt a very friendly senior cat yesterday.  He had all of his fur shaved off(to remove mats) and a twice broken tail.  I expect he will be happier with somebody who doesn't already have two cats, one of whom is frankly kind of a dick to other cats.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2015, 11:54:40 AM »
Haha! This is a funny thread! 

Many times, I am on my way to get something only to not purchase said item.  I figure I should start moving that money into a "did not buy" account to see how much I accumulate over the years.

Once, I realized that I did not want to buy something at the exact time that my wife asked, "what do you want?" while standing at the register.

Let's say she wasn't too happy as I had chosen the restaurant too.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2015, 07:08:20 PM »
Didn't buy raisin bran as it wasn't on my list and would have led to the purchase of more milk anyway. Besides, sugar.

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2015, 08:29:29 PM »
Was going to head to the store to buy some warm clothes for the winter, but I decided to have a no-car day so I wouldn't have to get gas. Now I'm wondering if there's a safe path to walk or bike there instead.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2015, 03:11:06 AM »
Haha! This is a funny thread! 

Many times, I am on my way to get something only to not purchase said item.  I figure I should start moving that money into a "did not buy" account to see how much I accumulate over the years.

Sometimes, I actually think of this thread (and others) as I'm about to buy something and suddenly think, "Oh, shoot, I should buy this!"

Susurrus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2015, 10:39:46 AM »
Yesterday I went to buy school supplies for the upcoming semester and managed to derail the temptation to buy fancy (and gorgeous!) folders and notebooks. I instead went for the cheapest ones they had in boring solid colors. :) I'm also going to reuse my old binders even though they're starting to show wear and tear, because buying new binders would be something like $40.

I did have a cute tote bag in my hand (that I didn't need but was on sale). When I got to the register the lady couldn't find a barcode and asked if I wanted to go get another one that did have a barcode. I took it as a sign and decided not to buy it. Woo-hoo!

All in all, a successful shopping trip. :)

Wow, that's actually not a bad idea! Maybe I'll start that today with the money I "made" by not buying fancy school supplies.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2015, 07:18:13 PM »
Did not go down off the mountain today, either of us. Did repair the backhoe and cook baked pasta in the crockpot for supper tonight and tomorrow night. Oh, and much laundry so no one has to work naked. That should save some bail money....

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2015, 07:29:20 PM »

you are much stronger than me! lol

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2015, 07:46:04 PM »
I need to stop procrastinating and buy medical equipment so that my bathroom does not look like bloody crime scene after a shower one of these days.  I have been very lucky with "safe" falls, but I'm a nurse, I know my luck is gonna run out and I will have been an idiot for not being prepared. 

I really need a tub transfer bench, i won't bore you, but it's safer than a tub seat for people who fall the way I do. Well, they are not cheap, even used, take up so much space, IDK, it might have to be taken off after every shower so I can use my toilet.  I know I need this, but this feels like an item for a much older person, like 50 yrs older.  And I resent dropping so much dough on something I hate!

My aunt showed up with a shower seat (free), I have one grab bar, I think if I add one that attaches to the tub, I will be safe.  So that just saved me $150.   

She also showed me her 3 wheeled walker.  I use my mom's souped up one with a seat and brakes and I hate it, goes too fast. This thing my aunt has is not as apparent as a walker, it has a huge bag you can put things in while you shop.  So now I want that.  It is a sad, sad day when medical equipment makes your heart flutter, lmao

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2015, 08:54:57 AM »
I need to stop procrastinating and buy medical equipment so that my bathroom does not look like bloody crime scene after a shower one of these days.  I have been very lucky with "safe" falls, but I'm a nurse, I know my luck is gonna run out and I will have been an idiot for not being prepared. 

I really need a tub transfer bench, i won't bore you, but it's safer than a tub seat for people who fall the way I do. Well, they are not cheap, even used, take up so much space, IDK, it might have to be taken off after every shower so I can use my toilet.  I know I need this, but this feels like an item for a much older person, like 50 yrs older.  And I resent dropping so much dough on something I hate!

My aunt showed up with a shower seat (free), I have one grab bar, I think if I add one that attaches to the tub, I will be safe.  So that just saved me $150.   

She also showed me her 3 wheeled walker.  I use my mom's souped up one with a seat and brakes and I hate it, goes too fast. This thing my aunt has is not as apparent as a walker, it has a huge bag you can put things in while you shop.  So now I want that.  It is a sad, sad day when medical equipment makes your heart flutter, lmao

Nurses are the worst patients, lol. Please, please get yourself that transfer bench! I could not talk my mom (also a nurse, go figure) into one during her chemo, and she fell. And then it was your sadly common cascade of -> IV antibiotics for the arm scrapes->C diff-> dehydration->AKI->hypokalemia->another fall. Luckily she pulled through, but she has lasting kidney damage from the whole thing. If I can't talk my mom into it, maybe I can talk you into it! Please keep yourself safe, an internet stranger cares about you!

---

As for the thread, today I did not buy a lacrosse ball. DH wants one to work on his ankle mobility/PT, and they are $3. Totally reasonable, but we are doing a low/no spend August, so it will wait until September.

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2015, 01:10:44 PM »
A power tool: a bench-top thickness planer for my woodworking, which I had to admit I would use infrequently, since I enjoy hand planing. Instead, I emailed our neighbor across the street to see if he has one. He does, and says I can use it anytime. There's $500-$600 saved, and fun time with a woodworking neighbor added. :-)

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2015, 02:08:13 PM »
I had the urge to buy votes for my rollercoaster election. But I've decided to not buy them. I want to play it fair. And it would cost a lot of money, and maybe for nothing...

Lazyretirementgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Handlebar
« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2015, 09:41:47 PM »
Yesterday, I got an email announcing a three day workshop in botanical macro photography early next year -- fell on it with cries of joy. This morning priced it -- heinously expensive. Like 1200 bucks before hotel and meals. Decided I could learn from a book for far less. Found a choice book on Amazon -- perfect. Checked on the library website: lo and behold, there was the choice book. Put it on hold from home for zero out of pocket. Thanks for the inspiration, mustachians!

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #171 on: August 25, 2015, 10:16:34 AM »
A 2T SSD drive.   I've been wanting to get a separate drive to install Windows 10.     The large drive would free up a 100G drive for the install.

Instead I bought a 24" backlit LCD monitor and a 480G drive.   While not a shining example for this thread but still it was half the cost of the 2T drive.    I have 5T of redundant NAS storage so I don't need the extra space.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2015, 10:24:39 AM »
I did not buy extra index shares, because I refuse to market time. I did however increase my weekly contributions... market diving served as a good reminder that I needed to.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #173 on: August 25, 2015, 10:39:14 AM »
I did not buy extra index shares, because I refuse to market time. I did however increase my weekly contributions... market diving served as a good reminder that I needed to.

This is what I came here to post.

I didn't jump on the giant "buy low buy low!" spree that the board went on yesterday.  It sure was funny to read all the posts after seeing a million "don't time the market" previously. Apparently the advice changes if it seems like market timing is really good?

I also didn't buy milk. Which is annoying because we needed it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #174 on: August 25, 2015, 11:33:31 AM »

This is what I came here to post.

I didn't jump on the giant "buy low buy low!" spree that the board went on yesterday.  It sure was funny to read all the posts after seeing a million "don't time the market" previously. Apparently the advice changes if it seems like market timing is really good?

I also didn't buy milk. Which is annoying because we needed it.

I was noticing that as well and being amused. Human psychology- none of us are above it, no matter how much we should know better! Honestly, I'm tempted to de-sync my Vanguard from Mint so that I don't check it. That's the only reason I track what's going on anyway. (But then my net worth would look very negative... hahaha. Again, that psychology. It'd be so depressing!)

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #175 on: August 25, 2015, 11:36:09 AM »
I did not order a Bernie 2016 mug even though I really wanted to. I will probably give in and order one eventually.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2015, 09:28:57 AM »
This was yesterday but I am proud of it.  I not only did not buy a snack from the waiting room vending machine, I gave a snack to the lady sitting next to me so she didn't buy one either.  Spreading Mustachianism one total stranger at a time.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2016, 10:38:34 PM »
Today I did not buy an $18 tortilla press.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #178 on: January 14, 2016, 04:41:29 AM »
I didn't buy a makeup kit.  I have too much as it is. Saved 70 bucks.m

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2016, 05:52:23 AM »
Really, really wanted a cute ($75) blazer I saw.  Then put it back and said if I still want it in two weeks I can have it.  Luckily, I know this store is on a two week rotation so it likely won't be there.  Temptation avoided!

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2016, 05:24:04 AM »
a watch! A cool watch came up on our local for sale sight, down to $100 from $400. I was super tempted because I want one and I deserve one damnit, and then remembered reading here where every $100 you spend today is 1 penny a day, every day, for the rest of your life. realized it wasn't that nice after all.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2016, 08:35:57 AM »
A new light fixture.  I'd like to replace the ugly, wobbly ceiling fan in my room now that I've repainted, reorganized and decorated that room.  But I've decided to wait until I get a certain bill paid off.  Maybe looking at that ceiling fan with the sock stuffed between it and the ceiling to stabilize it will be a good incentive to buckle down and pay that bill off more quickly.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2016, 10:58:14 AM »
Today I did not buy a new desktop computer. Instead I replaced the power supply in my 7 year old Dell. $50 for parts, did the labor myself.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2016, 07:40:33 PM »

Nurses are the worst patients, lol. Please, please get yourself that transfer bench! I could not talk my mom (also a nurse, go figure) into one during her chemo, and she fell. And then it was your sadly common cascade of -> IV antibiotics for the arm scrapes->C diff-> dehydration->AKI->hypokalemia->another fall. Luckily she pulled through, but she has lasting kidney damage from the whole thing. If I can't talk my mom into it, maybe I can talk you into it! Please keep yourself safe, an internet stranger cares about you!

[/quote]

I only just saw this, thank you for caring.  I did get the transfer bench and no way, no how could the guy make it fit my BR. So I used a seat and added more bars. I fall a lot less now, thank heaven.

hollis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #184 on: January 19, 2016, 07:41:18 PM »
I had a buy nothing day + a bike to work day too!

It was actually fun biking to work in single digits

lampstache

• Stubble
« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »
I stiff armed my co-worker and told him KFC was not in the budget today for lunch. That $5 popcorn chicken fill up (actually, $5.36) was calling my name all afternoon. The unhealthiness of it is oh so delicious and appealing.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2016, 01:35:46 PM »
This was yesterday but I am proud of it.  I not only did not buy a snack from the waiting room vending machine, I gave a snack to the lady sitting next to me so she didn't buy one either.  Spreading Mustachianism one total stranger at a time.

LOVE THIS!!!
Well done and so nice of you!

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2016, 01:39:14 PM »
I walked to work (as every day) and did NOT stop at Starbucks (saved $2).
I brought my breakfast to work (rice pudding with blueberries) and saved approx. $3.50
I also brought my lunch (pulled pork and cooked carrots) and saved approx. $10 compared to our canteen food.

I am also going to walk home in about 20 min and have a sandwich for diner (home made bread - saved $2).

Total saved: $17.50
Yay Mustachianism!

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2016, 02:38:33 PM »
I'm out of blush, but instead of rushing off to Sephora to replace it, I've been using Bare Minerals lipstick in a shade that I would never wear (it was a gift) and dotting it on my cheeks and rubbing in, like a cream blush. Still get to use my hyper-allergenic high-end brand, just not as originally intended!

pbnjpeg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2016, 03:02:26 PM »
I went to the grocery store and walked out having only spent ~$20. Potatoes, veggies, oatmeal, peanut butter, etc. No beer, no wine (I'm trying to cut out booze, mostly), no useless sweets, nothing premade.

All in all, a success!

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2016, 03:05:47 PM »
I went to the grocery store and walked out having only spent ~$20. Potatoes, veggies, oatmeal, peanut butter, etc. No beer, no wine (I'm trying to cut out booze, mostly), no useless sweets, nothing premade.

All in all, a success!

Very well done!! Grocery shopping is always a challenge for me...

YoungRetire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2016, 01:11:16 PM »
The best way of saving money on stuff is not buying anything at all ;)

What temptations did you leave behind in the store? :)

For me today:
- A polo shirt at the thrift shop. It was just €4,50, but that was the only reason I was considering to buy it.

Coffee and I never do, Chase bank always has it for free !

YoungRetire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2016, 11:40:27 PM »
The best way of saving money on stuff is not buying anything at all ;)

What temptations did you leave behind in the store? :)

For me today:
- A polo shirt at the thrift shop. It was just €4,50, but that was the only reason I was considering to buy it.

I didn't buy coffee as usual , actually I always get it for free when I walk everyday to pay extra principal on my mortgage ! Chase bank always has free coffee. Starbucks is for people that enjoy latteing their savings away !

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2016, 12:08:04 PM »
I had a NO SHOP Friday and today only had my weekend treat $1.89 Starbucks (paid with swagbucks giftcards).

Also have committed to a no spend weekend (other than that Starbucks), though pulled my back this morning, reaching for the milk in the fridge and am now off to get a massage... which is fully covered by my health plan, so it's NO SPEND too. :)

apricity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2016, 01:10:48 PM »
I did not buy anything at work the entire week! No buying lunch, no buying coffee, no trips to the vending machine for a soda. Yeah!!

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2016, 03:28:10 PM »
I did not buy anything at work the entire week! No buying lunch, no buying coffee, no trips to the vending machine for a soda. Yeah!!

High five!!! Well done!!!

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2016, 05:13:02 PM »
I stayed home today. Made my own coffee, ate leftovers and pantry items. I wrote blog posts and watched a few shows on Netflix. I kept the heater set low to keep the gas bill down, but since I'm wearing sweats, I have been toasty warm all day.

It's been a wonderful day!

NDQ

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2016, 05:17:16 PM »
I stayed home today. Made my own coffee, ate leftovers and pantry items. I wrote blog posts and watched a few shows on Netflix. I kept the heater set low to keep the gas bill down, but since I'm wearing sweats, I have been toasty warm all day.

It's been a wonderful day!

NDQ

Sounds like the perfect Saturday to me! :)

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #198 on: January 26, 2016, 07:45:17 AM »
Went to Europe for a week. (Work trip).
Bought nothing except a one euro pair of wool gloves from a street vendor. Oh and a a few postcards.
Usually travel cues the "buy things" bug, so this was kind of a nice change.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #199 on: January 26, 2016, 07:50:57 AM »
Boss took me out to lunch yesterday. We went to Chili's. The hamburger on the lunch menu was a "double cheeseburger" with a soup.  I took one patty off of it, since that's too much meat for me, put that in a to-go box. Cut the burger in half and put it with  the fries into a to-go box. Ate half the burger for lunch with soup, then half the burger for dinner with some of the fries.  And now I still have a hamburger patty and some fries for one more meal.

Pretty good deal for a free lunch out.

Restaurant meals are huge. This was the smaller lunch plate, and I got 3 meals out of it. And was stuffed.