Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 319989 times)

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2015, 10:38:59 PM »
Did not buy Diet Coke on my trip to the grocery store today.  Love the stuff, gave it up for Lent.  Missing it, but have resisted.

yoga mama

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 12:02:36 PM »
I did not buy lunch today, I usually brown bag but nothing was appealing this morning.  Instead I munched on [relatively unhealthy] snacks from the lounge to tide me over.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2015, 02:04:38 PM »
Almost bought some motorcycle tires online that were on sale. Thought about it some more and figured I can wear through the ones I have and see what's available in a few months.

-- Vik

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »
SO and I decided not to replace a couple of supplements we usually get, and see how that works out. If it doesn't make much difference, that's a lot of savings- opting out of a recurring expense.

Corporate Coconut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2015, 12:27:50 AM »
Coffee!

A few weeks back I realised what I grip the Starbucks' of the world has on me and I thought no need for coffee -> no spending -> no more paper mugs polluting the planet on my watch. A WIN-WIN-WIN!

Spondulix

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2015, 12:37:02 AM »
Dinner. The cafeteria at work had my favorite, but I passed it up cause I had leftovers... from a free lunch! (double score)

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2015, 12:50:49 AM »
I was idly browsing on Autotrader...  does this count??

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2015, 09:25:44 AM »
Got home from work yesterday and didn't see an easy meal happening so I was tempted to go out for a curry. Convinced myself to go to the grocery store to buy food I could make at home then got lazy thinking how long that would take and scavenged something from the fridge by getting creative.

Started the day today thinking about having something ready for tonight so I planned a meal and got stuff out of the freezer so it could defrost while I was at work and figured out what veggies needed eating so I used them up before they went off.

Nothing epic, but a couple days like this and I can buy 1 extra share of VCN. ;)

-- Vik

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2015, 09:57:58 AM »
Lunch

Was only planning on going home to make something easy but didn't need to as another employee brought in a huge container of homemade Pad Thai for everyone. Delicious and Free!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2015, 12:33:49 AM »
Wanted to buy my son a vacuum for his new apartment but didn't. I've already bought him lots of smaller necessities like a pot, a pan, a few dishes, etc. Its a tiny bachelor suite anyways, so he could probably do it with a dust buster or something .. or maybe a carpet sweeper.

UPDATE: Grandma and Grandpa bought him a vacuum!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 03:57:43 PM by 1967mama »

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2015, 12:32:38 AM »
Mongolian beef.  As lunch out with the husband.  Oh how I wanted it but it would have broken up our day too much and cost too much.

Stupid fridge is empty need to go grocery shopping.  Made shrimp zucchini, onion, kale, carrot, egg scramble instead.  It was good and used up odds and ends while filling in with frozen stuff.

I will put mongolian beef on the menu and make it myself.  More leftovers less money.  Win win

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »
Fish sandwich.   I had promised myself a Diet Coke at the turn around point of my walk today.  The deli was offering $1.00 a bottled Coke product plus a fish sandwich.   Almost fell for it but realized: One I wasn't that hungry and two the Diet Coke would cost $1.20.  The fish sandwich plus coke would cost almost $5.00 after the coupon.  Not a good deal even if I was hungry.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2015, 08:58:34 AM »
Did not buy a Starbucks coffee.  That makes 10,949 out of the last 10, 950 days without Starbucks!   

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2015, 04:20:09 PM »
Made sandwiches for our drive home from a little mini-vacation with the kids instead of stopping and buying fast food.  Tuna sandwiches with cheese and lettuce and refillable bottles of water were just right for the 2 1/2 hour drive that happened to fall over the lunch hour. Plus, we used up the last of what we'd brought with us since the place we stayed at had a kitchen.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2015, 03:06:31 PM »
Went to the store with my daughter and was really tempted to buy some Hot Wheels. I thought about how saving a few dollars here and there adds up and I was able to resist making the purchase. It was much more difficult than it should have been.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2015, 05:54:36 PM »
A planter full of pretty spring flowers for my front step that had a cute Welcome sign. Instead, I bought a few vegetable starts for my teeny tiny "garden."

- 2 cherry tomato plants
- 1 rosemary
- 1 parsley
- 1 pepper

Also picked up a few little 99 cent annuals for the planters I already have.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2015, 08:01:33 PM »
I had to go to a mall (gasp) and buy clothes for an interview. In spite of missing a meal during this time, I did not buy any food. Just say no to the delicious smelling Cinnabon...

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2015, 11:05:27 PM »
Gas!  I am trying not to have to fill up the car until after the long weekend is over ...

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2015, 08:16:20 AM »
I packed my lunch this morning, so that saves me ~$10 come lunch time. :)

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »
I went to the REI Memorial Day Sale to help someone look at sleeping bags, saw a TON of things I wanted but had no need for, and didn't buy anything!!

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2015, 09:55:34 AM »
I didn't buy a $65,000 C7 2LT Vette.

Not sure I made the right choice :)

laughing_paddler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2015, 12:56:40 PM »
Had the car in for a recall today (their fantastic euphemism is "service campaign" HA!) and they pointed out that I had two mini taillights that were burned out. Believe it or not, they would perform the (5-minute) replacement for me for a mere $61.12! Wow!

A 2-pack of standard 194 bulbs costs, oh maybe $4, so "what did I NOT buy today"?

I didn't buy 5 minutes of a car dealer-shop technician's labor for $55. 

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2015, 08:25:15 PM »
I was window shopping bike builds. My wife took my singlespeed (it's a 16" frame, I normally ride 18" anyway). So I got to thinking as stupid bike guys do and I searched online. The same frame in 18" is on sale right now for VERY cheap. Also 26" wheels are going away it seems some they're all heavily discounted. With the two spendy parts very discounted I was thinking I could build what I wanted to in the first place and we could have a matching pair of rides. Put I spreadsheeted it and it would still end up being $600+ to build the thing complete.... So I put that idea on hold, I already have a couple of bikes. :)

kib

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2015, 09:40:15 PM »
I've been reveling in my own weirdness ... I came home to an empty house last Friday, DH left a few hours earlier on a business trip that will end this weekend.  I have not bought one single thing since he left.  I suppose there are some bills that have auto-paid, but I have not moved an intentional penny for new goods out of my wallet in six days.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:42:12 PM by frufrau »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2015, 04:03:08 PM »
Today, I was very close to stopping and filling my water bottle with diet soda since it's like 94c, but went straight home and had water instead.

Last night, I had a $9.99 pack of petunias in my cart at the store and them put them back.  Funny enough, I discovered a petunia growing in one of the pots int my garden today.

Tenlha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
I need some lemongrass for a flower bed, so I asked my mom for some of hers. Also decided to try line drying my clothes. I don't have a lot of laundry, but we're trying to slash the electric bill.

Roadhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2015, 12:10:29 PM »
I just finished watching the first 1/2 of the final season of Madmen on Netflix.  I really want to watch the rest of the episodes, but they won't be on Netflix for awhile.  In the meantime...there they are on iTunes, available for purchase.   I am resisting the temptation.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2015, 12:55:54 PM »
Lunch.

Due to not getting to grocery shop this weekend, and some new diet restrictions that limit what I could eat on hand, I went to work today without a lunch.

But as I was mentioning I was heading out, the admin told me there was a can of soup unclaimed in the cupboard I should eat.

So I did :)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2015, 01:52:51 PM »
Lunch.

Due to not getting to grocery shop this weekend, and some new diet restrictions that limit what I could eat on hand, I went to work today without a lunch.

But as I was mentioning I was heading out, the admin told me there was a can of soup unclaimed in the cupboard I should eat.

So I did :)

What?!?!?!  You ate my soup???

I tell ya, people have no respect ...

;-)

FrugalFairy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2015, 09:07:01 PM »
Didn't go to the grocery store as I intended, because I only used the bike today and yesterday.  After 10 years of not getting on at all!  YES!!  So proud, but didn't feel like riding up the hill from the grocery after riding 7 miles RT so came home and just what I already had in the fridge.  Boring food been eating all week but tasted great after a long ride!!
And no real reason to buy more food when there is something I can already eat at home. It is amazing how much food can go bad. Trying to buy more frozen produce since when I am busy I end up throwing out bad food occasionally.  Also cooking in MAJOR BULK and freezing is soooo nice when you have had a long day but want a home cooked meal, not some processed non-food thing to fill your belly. Getting off topic /ramble

Mikhial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2015, 07:17:09 AM »
Not today, but over the weekend. Boyfriend and a friend wanted to go shopping on Saturday. I went so I could get out of the house with the goal of not buying anything. After a lot of walking around and even trying some stuff on, I managed to keep my wallet in my pocket.

Outside of groceries, I only spent $6 this weekend which was splitting a bottle of vodka to bring to a friend's pool party. Pretty happy about that.

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2015, 11:14:40 AM »
Pricey board shorts and new water shoes. Walmart has a decent looking pair I might get instead. All in all - a $50 savings.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2015, 11:40:10 AM »
Did not buy take out with a friend who was visiting.
Heated up a homemade dinner I had in the freezer.
It was sooo much healthier for me & my wallet.

McCannon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2015, 07:59:32 AM »
I have refrained from making any sort of purchase in the past week or more. There's been plenty I wanted, but I wanted to hold onto my money even more. From this point on, unless it has a perfectly justifiable reason that matches up to my mustachian principles, I will only be purchasing necessities.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2015, 08:03:53 AM »
A thrift store t-shirt.  I am holding out for the perfect one.

CharlesSowAV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2015, 07:12:03 PM »
A kid came down with a double ear infection. Hubby took him to PrimaCare and I was busy at work. Resisted the urge to have him pick up burgers on the way home. Went without lunch and made up for it at dinner.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2015, 07:18:13 PM »
Didn't buy anything - it was a stay-at-home day - but also resisted any online shopping.

piccione88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2015, 11:25:09 AM »
 After a 14 hour shift, i shut down at a truck stop with a nice looking restaraunt. This has been the hardest of my bad habits to let go. But today I fought the temptation, and took the extra 15 minutes to heat up leftover rottisere chicken, and veggies from the house.
 That makes two weeks on the road without eating at pricey restaraunts, and the first after a 14+ hour day.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2015, 11:53:41 AM »
Yesterday I biked to work for the first time in months, so I'm out of shape and forgot to adjust my lunch portions. On my way home I started feeling pretty hungry and all the fast food places were looking pretty tantalizing. But I powered through it, got past the hunger, and avoided spending anything. It felt really satisfying when I got home, too.

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2015, 12:00:49 PM »
I refrained from buying the watch I have been eyeing for several years... It went on sale at 50% and I still cant bring myself to get it.. It's a nice stainless steel Citizen Eco-Drive watch.

WorkingToBeFIREd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2015, 03:26:39 PM »
A 5th generation Honda VFR800...the consumerist side of my brain could actually hear the gear-driven cams and the wail of the V-4.  The fact that it was priced for pocket change made this one tough...literally, it was cheap enough I could probably resell and make money.

I haven't decided yet whether to congratulate or facepunch myself (or both).  :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2015, 12:12:31 AM »
Today I did a mad dash grocery shop while kids were in lessons. It was hot out and I had a dollar and thought how tasty a drink from McDonald's would taste on the way back to pick up the kids. But then I remembered that I'd packed myself a water bottle with ice in it!

That really showed me how planning for contingencies really makes a difference in whether I spend or don't spend!

Healthandwealth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2015, 12:55:28 AM »
Didn't buy ice cream at the beach. I live on biking/ walking distance. I just went to the beach without any money...:) I did bring water and rice crackers so we were fine.

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2015, 02:42:04 PM »
Restaurant dinner. And/or expensive Whole Food groceries (only store within walking distance).

Realized my plan for dinner tonight was going to take 8 hours, and it's 3pm. All my other food options are frozen and raw and would also take 8 hours. I figured, well, it's either eating out or getting something at WF.

Open the fridge, dig to the back and find already cooked chicken leftovers from Thursday. Boom! No money spent.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2015, 12:03:48 AM »
Husband asked if we could have BBQ hamburgers for dinner when he got home from a tournament with the kids. Briefly thought about popping out to Walmart for buns, but decided to make my own instead -- it was so worth the effort because not only did I save a few bucks, they also tasted about 1000% better than store bought!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2015, 03:31:02 PM »
Avoided stopping at the mini-mart for a fountain drink on the way home from the barn.  Came home and had some home-brewed kombucha instead.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2015, 04:22:40 PM »
Did not buy a strut spring coil compressor to replace the front shocks on my little car today. Autozone has them as part of their rent-a-tool program (pay for them, then get your money back on return). Also didn't pay anyone to replace the *broken in half* shock on the front driver's side of my car.

Also did not buy but will tomorrow: replacement struts. We took the driver's side one off our parts car (was my driver until an F250 rear-ended me at a red light in the city), but I'd forgotten it already needed shocks before the Ford came along. On the plus side, my current car goes again, just with some noise. Also on the plus side: shocks are really easy to replace on this car. We'll do both sides tomorrow - this is likely what we get for having a long, steep rural road we put in ourselves. It's a bit rough on little economy cars.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2015, 01:32:37 AM »
Didn't take the kids to McDonald's after church, although I reeeeeally wanted to. This is a real pattern in my life. I must get control of mindless dining out. (Facepunching self)

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2015, 05:19:49 AM »
Everything!

That is, I did not buy anything.

Mika M

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE stars in my eyes
    • The Lazy Frugal
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2015, 09:58:49 AM »
A monthly planner book... discovered I could print out a blank Outlook calendar instead that would serve just as well...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!