Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 320983 times)

nkt0

• Bristles
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #650 on: June 08, 2018, 02:06:13 PM »
Lunch. Our company buys it on Fridays. ;)

Wings5

• Stubble
« Reply #651 on: June 09, 2018, 06:36:49 PM »
Wine.

I'm curious. When I forgo these things, I usually make it a point to contribute the same amount to an investment account. I call it the Financial Pick Six.

Does anyone else do anything like this? I figure if small splurges add up, so do small investments. Sort of like the latte factor, but random.

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #652 on: June 09, 2018, 09:30:41 PM »
Does anyone else do anything like this? I figure if small splurges add up, so do small investments. Sort of like the latte factor, but random.

I do something similar. Any small windfalls go toward savings. For example, I discovered an error on my grocery bill and received a $50 gift card from the store manager. I immediately put $50 into savings.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #653 on: June 09, 2018, 10:50:35 PM »
A movie that we really wanted to see. We borrowed it from the library instead.

EngineeringFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #654 on: June 10, 2018, 11:10:03 AM »
New headphones. The ear pads on my current pair (5 years old) are falling apart and leaving little black pieces around my ear when I wear them. I found a kit on amazon for $17 to replace the ear pads, way cheaper than a new pair!

ProxyRetired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #655 on: June 14, 2018, 07:24:19 PM »
Lunch.

WFH a couple days a week. Family went out for a play date with friends, so I was all alone.

Wanted to go to subway. Got in my car, backed of driveway, had a flash of MMM staring at me... so I pulled back in and make a sandwich myself.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #656 on: June 15, 2018, 03:24:18 PM »
A really gorgeous bikini. So 90 euros saved, but I have a hard time getting it out of my head :(

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #657 on: June 15, 2018, 07:50:33 PM »
I picked up a book at the Little Free Library outside the YMCA when I was picking up my son from camp. While signing him out, a staffer asked if I wanted a weekend lunch bag, and I said sure, thinking it was a leftover sack lunch from their field trip today. She instead handed me a grocery sack full of single serve cereals, shelf stable milk, juice boxes, breakfast bars, cans of soup, fruit snacks, crackers and more. There must have been over 25 things in that bag. They will make perfect pool snacks, since we bought a discounted membership to the community pool that allows patrons to bring in food.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #658 on: June 17, 2018, 06:10:51 AM »
Had 2 friends coming over so we could go to lunch together. Invited them in instead of meeting them in the carpark and had a cup of coffee, carrot sticks and dip and fresh from the oven blueberry muffins before we went, so Hubby and I split a plate of $8 wedges rather than having a $15 burger each.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #659 on: January 08, 2019, 03:14:59 PM »
I did not buy a printer today. We are about two years without a printer.

Our son's school is no longer distributing email addresses for electronic party invites due to privacy concerns. They will distribute paper invites. So I'm handwriting 24+ invites rather than doing "desktop publishing" as they called it 30 years ago.

I bought the blanks and some new pens, but that's still cheaper than a printer and eventual replacement ink cartridges, plus a dead printer won't eventually become landfill ewaste.

Wish us luck on our continued "no printer" quest!!

freedomfightergal

• Stubble
« Reply #660 on: January 08, 2019, 06:51:22 PM »
Had an appointment 200m away.  I packed water, coffee, snacks for my "road trip", where I normally would've gone into Starbucks and fast food.  Probably saved $20 and lot's of calories :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #661 on: January 09, 2019, 06:33:15 PM »
Never left the house! Now I'm going to cook dinner with some of the groceries I bought yesterday. You know, Senior Day at Grocery Outlet. Ten percent off everything, every Tuesday morning. Go me!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #662 on: January 10, 2019, 12:33:39 PM »
Didn't buy with one click on Amazon - got a free kindle book instead.

Wine.

I'm curious. When I forgo these things, I usually make it a point to contribute the same amount to an investment account. I call it the Financial Pick Six.

I like the term Financial Pick Six (I think it is called Pick Five in Florida though).
I split mine into personal slush fund or savings.
At the end of the month, I might top off the Holiday savings club by a twenty and/or drop fifteen bucks into the slush fund to help it grow a bit too:) like a reward for good behavior. 

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #663 on: January 12, 2019, 11:08:25 PM »
Didn’t buy $20 of Corelle bowls even though our bowl stack is thinner than the others due to high usage and breakage. We’ll just have to do dishes faster.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #664 on: January 13, 2019, 02:02:44 PM »
Didn't buy restaurant food or even additional food since I had perfectly good vegetables in the refrigerator. Reduced food waste and helped the wallet all in one go.

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #665 on: January 13, 2019, 03:11:07 PM »

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #666 on: January 13, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »
Today I baked. Muffins, made pudding and attempted to make falafels but technical issues with the blender prevented this last one. Probably a soup tomorrow for the chick peas if I can’t find a part. So saving 2$ conservitavely for the muffins, 12 small ones and maybe 3$ per serving (4 according to the box). Saving 36$ in snacks. Sure we can get into what resources like heat and unit price of eggs but anyone that excited to do so feel free. It’s sunday after all.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #667 on: January 13, 2019, 05:38:22 PM »
Didn't buy dinner out.  Too tired and not sure if I am even hungry.  Just eating leftovers and snack food.

redwood_canyon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #668 on: January 20, 2019, 09:57:38 PM »
I did not buy expensive food on my Amtrak trip back to Uni. I packed some snacks which allowed me to be in good company in the lounge car for the duration of the trip. I always meet new people on train trips, one of the great benefits. The downside is the cheapest food option is a $12 burger that is mediocre at best.

I also did not partake in somewhat of a traditions of eating skittles in the lounge car. Something I have fond memories of as a child, instead I enjoyed saving the $3.75.

From the train station to uni I did not use Uber, and instead called a Taxi. (due to MMM's blog post on being an Uber driver. Knowing I had saved so much and the driver being so nice as to entertain questions for the whole 10 minute trip. I tipped him handsomely. (the company takes 1/2 of the fare, so since it was only a $6 fare and he would only recieve $3 I tipped him $4.

After that considering how little time it took him to make that amount, I may consider being a taxi driver.

Food for thought, But does anyone know of the average Taxi salary of anyone who reached FIRE as a driver?

FreeBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #669 on: January 22, 2019, 04:37:15 PM »
Didn't eat out for lunch.  Came back home to eat chili and baked potato from fridge.  Cooked chana masala (Indian style chick peas) for dinner.  This is a huge step for me since I rarely cook.  I'm trying to cook more to cut back a Facepunch-worthy restaurant addiction.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #670 on: January 24, 2019, 03:18:25 PM »
Sandwich from the store. I was so tempted and hungry but I pushed on till I got home

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #671 on: January 24, 2019, 04:54:05 PM »
Went to Target to buy a specific item. It was out of stock, so I left empty handed. Score! Better still, I stopped in on my way home from another errand, so no dedicated trip.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #672 on: January 27, 2019, 02:51:12 PM »
Went out to run errands today over lunch time, and brought some snacks to hold me over until I got home (to eat leftovers, yum!) instead of going out for lunch.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #673 on: January 29, 2019, 12:49:44 PM »
Avoided buying chicken wings at the restaurant depot today. After factoring in the cost of freezer bags, buying in bulk didn't really save me any money. Still picked up chicken breast at $.97/lb and dried peppers that I can't get anywhere else around here. Oh, and basil and mint for 1/8th the price of a normal store.

Vintage509

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #674 on: January 30, 2019, 07:46:15 AM »
At the beginning of the year, I began tracking my calories, my exercise and my optional spending with my students.  I went from spending about $3.50 each morning on breakfast at a convenience store and $5 each afternoon at the same location on a snack to not buying at convenience stores.  I have also given up eating out during the week.  My wife and I have been eating out on Saturdays at lunch, but that is it.  I also am giving serious consideration to all other purchases, to ask myself, "Do I need this?". 
In addition to all of the above, I am half way through the C25K program and have dropped 12 pounds.  I work hard to set an example for my students and I know that I would much rather do the exercising than answer to my 60 accountability partners.(I teach in a very small rural Kansas school).  I have committed to running a 5K in Wichita on March 23rd and am looking forward to it. 

freedomfightergal

• Stubble
« Reply #675 on: June 25, 2019, 10:01:47 AM »
I mowed my own lawn, I walked my own dog ;)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #676 on: June 26, 2019, 02:07:54 PM »
Resisted buying an e-book series by one of my most favorite authors. $32. for 7 books.
I'll see if I can get them through the library - but if not, I will buy them anyway - next month:).

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #677 on: June 26, 2019, 02:22:16 PM »
Lunch. Or snack.

Boss came by asking if I wanted to go out for lunch (this is rare as he normally brings in, he's trying to eat healthier and lose weight).

I declined. Had a nice salad made by wife and 2 boiled eggs.

But I did take a walk with him to the food trucks.

jaysee

• Stubble
« Reply #678 on: June 26, 2019, 02:32:54 PM »
Company lunch, as head staff were paying a visit!

Goldendog777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #679 on: June 26, 2019, 02:46:22 PM »
I keep getting great percentage off sale emails from companies that I normally buy from for their 4th of July sale.  I used to justify the purchase since it was 40% off or whatever but now I just delete the emails without opening them.  Less temptation that way!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #680 on: July 24, 2019, 10:02:53 PM »
I did not buy a special bird feeder for attracting orioles. Managed to attract an oriole anyway.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #681 on: July 25, 2019, 09:38:42 PM »
Junk food that I then ate alone in my car.

At the grocery store where I normally would have gotten M&M's and chips, I bought a rotisserie chicken and a peach. No drink, because I brought a water bottle.

sonoranson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #682 on: July 26, 2019, 07:14:48 AM »
I did not buy JL Collins - The Simple Path to Wealth

Got a free week of Amazon Kindle Unlimited.  Will see what else I can get through before cancelling the renewal next week.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: July 26, 2019, 08:18:37 PM »
I did not buy a printer. Instead I digitally delivered my son’s school forms packet to Fedex Office and they will be printed for me for $2.44. I will pick them up tomorrow on my way back from picking up my groceries.

Kazyan

• Stubble
    • Books By Tanner Jacobi
« Reply #684 on: July 26, 2019, 09:06:28 PM »
I didn't buy a new keyboard or keyboard stickers, which were becoming tempting becuase the letters on the keys were wearing off to the point of confusing me. Instead, I rescued some label paper from the trash at work and re-labeled the worn keys.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #685 on: July 28, 2019, 05:25:50 PM »
I did not buy a commercially made burn-relief ointment because we have a homegrown aloe plant that does the same work.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #686 on: July 28, 2019, 07:20:35 PM »
Pajamas for feeling cute and lounging around, even though I've wanted them for a while and still think they're really cute.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #687 on: July 30, 2019, 07:53:01 AM »
Today I will not buy junk food at lunchtime. Only 2 pieces of fruit and 2 vegetables.

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Years Until FIRE Calculator
« Reply #688 on: August 01, 2019, 06:12:52 AM »
I really-really-really needed a diet Coke today after lunch, but I resisted temptation and just had a free coffee in the workplace instead :) $0.69 saved.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #689 on: August 01, 2019, 09:21:18 AM »
I keep putting off a Costco run. I will have to go to pick up Cosequin for my dog, and I would also like to grab makeup remover wipes, protein bars, butter, almond milk, and bulk Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein powder while I’m there. It’s going to be about $200.00 all in, and just meh. I can’t put off the Cosequin much longer, but I’ve put off the rest for a while now!

Legsofsteel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #690 on: August 02, 2019, 03:45:50 PM »
A chocolate chip muffin as a snack. Was feeling peckish but resisted the temptation!

Ragdoll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #691 on: August 03, 2019, 08:07:46 AM »
An expensive wood or granite counter top ($1200) for a bar. It would be nice but I’m looking into making a concrete top myself or using Formica. Also grooming my little god (I meant dog but if you ask her...) myself ($50). She looks kind of choppy 🤭 but hopefully I will get better.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #692 on: August 06, 2019, 04:25:15 PM »
A chocolate chip muffin as a snack. Was feeling peckish but resisted the temptation!

Don't answer this, as it's none of our business, but... I am picturing that you are from Michigan. The only other time I have heard the word "peckish" was from my good friend in Michigan. 

keepingfocus

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #693 on: August 08, 2019, 02:59:03 AM »
Don't answer this, as it's none of our business, but... I am picturing that you are from Michigan. The only other time I have heard the word "peckish" was from my good friend in Michigan.

Peckish is common in the UK :)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #694 on: September 02, 2019, 03:32:57 PM »
Today, we did NOT buy a new grill. Instead, we received the $20 worth of replacement parts we had ordered from Amazon. (Why the heck do they deliver on holidays when I did not ask for rush shipping???)

Most parts fit perfectly. With a Dremel and a little elbow grease, the new starter button fits in the bigger hole we had to make for it. (It was a smidge too big for the existing hole, even though our grill model was listed for the part.)

Almost new 8 year old grill!

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #695 on: September 02, 2019, 05:18:44 PM »
Someone gave me a Starbucks gift card this spring. Still feels too expensive. Found myself there while talking on the phone today in the car. Finished the conversation and drove away.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #696 on: September 03, 2019, 09:08:05 PM »
Lunch at work. I've fallen into the bad habit of not packing a lunch because I can usually get a work lunch for $3-4 dollars (I know,I know... $20/week, $80/month, almost $1,000 a year).
But today I decided to eat a packet of instant oatmeal instead, and was on the way to the kitchen to heat it up when I coworker offered me an extra salad. So I had a lovely salad and put the oatmeal back for another no-spend lunch day.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #697 on: September 04, 2019, 05:32:07 AM »
My Amazon cart has in it currently: shower curtain because our old one doesn't reach the floor of our new shower, 110v/220v adapter plugs, and a step-down transformer.  Haven't pulled the trigger because my wife thinks she can adapt some hooks to lower our shower curtain three inches and so far we haven't had a pressing need for the electrical equipment.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #698 on: September 04, 2019, 06:39:17 AM »
Not sure how I stumbled across it while looking for something else on Amazon, but there's a fabulous Eugenia Kim winter beanie--sort of a blue and white fleck, with some metallic in it, and a really neat-looking white pom--kind of shoots up in irregular lengths--I would love to have this hat. Unfortunately, it's $285. So oh well...pass.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #699 on: September 04, 2019, 07:38:33 AM »
My Amazon cart has in it currently: shower curtain because our old one doesn't reach the floor of our new shower, 110v/220v adapter plugs, and a step-down transformer.  Haven't pulled the trigger because my wife thinks she can adapt some hooks to lower our shower curtain three inches and so far we haven't had a pressing need for the electrical equipment.

I did a similar fix just using torn strips of fabric.  It was supposed to be a quick fix until I found something else, but it worked, and I liked the look and color and used it until I moved out of that apartment.