Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 321003 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #600 on: November 17, 2017, 12:40:47 PM »
Have a rip in my jeans, scouted out options online. Went home & reviewed my closet again & determined that a pair I thought was too cropped for winter can be unrolled, ironed & replace the ripped jeans.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #601 on: November 17, 2017, 02:20:13 PM »
A drink. We had work drinks for Melbourne Cup, once the work tab run out at 4pm others started buying their own drinks, I stopped drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot the Aussie. :)

We drank in the office.

ForeverFrugal47

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • A Lannister always pays his debts
« Reply #602 on: November 17, 2017, 02:36:40 PM »
Peroxyl mouthwash.  Dentist recommended it to help treat canker sores.  A small bottle cost $9 and the only active ingredient was hydrogen peroxide.  I left it on the shelf and opted to used some H202 I already had at home.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #603 on: November 18, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »
Lunch out. My wife and I were doing a bunch of errands today and only had some snacks on us during lunch time. Instead we just made leftover food when we got back home. A little later of a lunch, but just as delicious!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #604 on: November 19, 2017, 11:29:25 AM »
Yesterday, DH and I made a foray to the mega outlet mall, because it's near a place we had to be that's off our beaten path. It was horrific. Literally zero parking. We had to lurk until someone left. If we weren't already in the area, we would have hightailed it outta there.

Our shopping list consisted of shoes for DH at the New Balance Store, because he's an 11 EEEE. He found three(!) pair of comfortable shoes in his size. Poor baby, not even all NB 4E's are wide enough...

Our other destination was the Jockey Store, because we both needed new undies.

We went to those two stores and nowhere else. We had a list. I had coupons. Our focus was laser-sharp. We still managed to spend $450.

But that was yesterday. Today, we will spend nothing. Nothing, I tell you! We were too traumatized by that mega outlet mall experience. It was our first trip there and might well be our last. Ugh.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #605 on: January 21, 2018, 01:27:08 AM »
Hankies. Thanks to advice from other mustachians on my journal, I will be sewing my own from worn out sheets.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #606 on: January 21, 2018, 02:34:12 PM »
@Dicey But you bought good quality shoes that will last and more importantly great for your back/feet/body.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #607 on: January 21, 2018, 03:36:07 PM »
@Dicey But you bought good quality shoes that will last and more importantly great for your back/feet/body.
Ha! There's a bit more to the story. A couple of days later, a woman offered two new pair of NB shoes in DH's size for $40 each. Seems her husband had passed away and she found two boxes of unworn shoes in his closet. Only one pair fit, so we bought it and now DH is set for a good, long time.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: January 25, 2018, 08:49:38 PM »
I had a real hankerin' for chocolate today, but I did not buy it...

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #609 on: January 25, 2018, 08:58:58 PM »
I didn't buy blazer from Banana Republic's sale with an additional 60% off, although I got as far as the online checkout with it. 
It would have been under $30, and I could have absolutely defended the purchase of a black blazer, but I just... didn't. I haven't purchased anything clothing related for myself for a couple of months, and I think I just want to continue the feeling of just being happy with what I have.  I've actually been feeling incredibly grateful recently. So I think my not buying anything was a way to express that gratitude in a round-a-bout way.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #610 on: January 26, 2018, 07:24:03 AM »
I have spent 0$ the last two days

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #611 on: February 23, 2018, 09:19:52 PM »
Yesterday was the Costco Run, which we do about every 10 days to two weeks for eggs, greek yogurt, bananas, nuts and... yeah. That's it.

Nothing else all week long. Menu planned tonight and DH will pick up the five items we need from TJs tomorrow, and we'll be set for another week, at least.

Love not shopping more than once a week.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #612 on: February 24, 2018, 05:51:05 AM »
New boots. One of the soles started peeling off. I super-glued it back on. So far it doesn’t seem to be leaking.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #613 on: February 24, 2018, 07:11:08 AM »
1. Batteries. Instead of buying new ones to replace the ones that died in a clock, i scrounged up a handful from some unused devices stored in the basement.
2. Door knob. The knob on the side door that we mostly use wasn't working quite right. Swapped it with a knob from a rear door that we hardly ever use.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #614 on: February 24, 2018, 09:46:20 AM »
Car washes x2. Pollen is really bad and my car was really dirty from the 500 miles I put on it yesterday. So this morning I washed my car and SO’s too. $20 saved?

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #615 on: February 26, 2018, 09:55:25 AM »
New boots. This year's salt finally ruined my Uggs (the only warm winter boots that a) I can wear due to foot surgery and b) don't fall apart in 2-3 months). I wanted to replace them. I did not. Not because I wanted to save money, but because I simply could not find an adequate replacement that was within budget. Still trying to figure out what I will be wearing to work until it warms up enough for other shoes--the old Uggs are fine for roaming around, but not nice enough looking for work. Footwear is the devil.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #616 on: February 28, 2018, 12:11:43 PM »
A passion fruit tea at Starbuck's.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #617 on: February 28, 2018, 02:58:25 PM »
I didn't use a coupon to go get fast food at lunch..even though I was driving right by. Instead I ate my healthy homemade lunch BEFORE I went out on my lunch break to run some errands. Ugh good choices :P.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #618 on: March 01, 2018, 05:14:26 PM »
I did not buy a $10 glass of wine from the hotel has me staying in for business.  Instead I bought a $6 bottle of wine from Aldi's.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #619 on: March 02, 2018, 02:37:31 PM »
I put back the $6.29 container of H-D ice cream at CVS where I went to fill a ridiculously expensive prescription today.  Yay me.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #620 on: March 02, 2018, 09:56:04 PM »
Didn't run in to the mini mart to get a soda.  I left my water bottle at home and was rather thirsty after several hours, but NBD.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #621 on: March 02, 2018, 10:38:36 PM »
Chocolate.
But the day's only half over...

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #622 on: March 06, 2018, 05:19:33 PM »
I didn't stop at the grocery store and buy stuff.  Because there were only two things on the list and I would have left the store with a couple of bags of stuff that we didn't need.

DouglasFir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #623 on: March 18, 2018, 09:18:58 PM »
I didn't buy any alcohol, or anything else, today. I just drank some wine that had been lingering in the fridge since my birthday. Wished I had some cheese, crackers, and salami to go with it, but I only had cheese on hand, so made do with that. :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #624 on: March 19, 2018, 12:18:27 AM »
No houses purchased today. We walked to four open houses, and didn't buy a single one. We did touch base with a realtor we like. It's good to have several who know what you're looking for. We didn't buy anything else today, either.

Yesterday, DH bought three(!) tubs of Mint Chip Moose Tracks ice cream. It was our turn to host our dice group. All the party goods were leftover from another group I do hospitality for. The hosts only do dessert and coffee. I made a chocolate cake with green icing from stuff in my pantry and the spendy coffee came from the freezer, left over from another event.

Oh yeah, DH bought three(!) tubs of ice cream because it was on sale, and I only specified type, not quantity. I wanted a green mint chip ice cream, so he went to the big, full service grocery store, where we never shop. He came home amazed that the store had an entire aisle of ice cream. Poor guy doesn't get out much.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #625 on: March 19, 2018, 07:39:41 AM »
Based on the limited hours of the library yesterday (and because we have company visiting at our house), the best place I could find to study was a fast-casual restaurant. But I didn't buy a meal; I only bought a soda (cheapest menu item + free refills!) and was able to get ~4 hours of distraction-free studying in.

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #626 on: March 19, 2018, 12:39:34 PM »
I didn't buy a $20k car. I want this one particular car so bad but I cannot justify it. The car is $20k used or $30k new, premium fuel, and pemium insurance ($120/month). Our current car runs fine with under 90k miles but boy do I want to spend some money and drive this car around 25 miles 5 days per week.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #627 on: March 19, 2018, 02:49:20 PM »
Visited London this weekend and I didn't buy the entire Harry Potter shop (at King's Cross) empty. In fact, I walked out of the store empty-handed. Not bad for a big fan like me! One of my friends bought loads, another just a few things. It felt really, really good to hold up items and just get that 'happy buying chemical' in your brain, then say: "This thing is just awesome, I really wish I needed it though!" and then put it back.

At the Primark at Oxford Street, which has an entire HP department, I did buy fantastic Hufflepuff pj's and a sign to hang above the loo which says "Ministry of Magic - this way" with an arrow pointing down. The pj's I needed, the sign was a splurge. All together it was 10 pounds (14 USD).

Tip for HP fans travelling to London: go to the Primark first, it's cheap AF and they have a HUGE selection of stuff!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #628 on: March 19, 2018, 03:08:20 PM »
Nederstash - I might take your advice if we visit London with our kids.  My older child is a HUGE HP fan. 

I wanted to buy some Euro 8 shampoo today but I resisted.  We have tons of cheap shampoo already at home.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #629 on: March 19, 2018, 11:56:13 PM »
I wanted to buy some Euro 8 shampoo today but I resisted.  We have tons of cheap shampoo already at home.

That's a brand of shampoo?

Euro 6 is Australia's (and obviously Europe's) current exhaust emissions standard.

shipright

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #630 on: March 20, 2018, 03:50:06 AM »
I cancelled a trip to Dubai for my birthday. We figured for the price of a plane flight and a hotel we can just get a hotel here at home in Bahrain instead for basically the same experience at half the cost.

I am now thinking I should just cancel the hotel room and just get a day pass to use the hotel's pools and whatnot to halve that cost too. Before you know it I might just cancel my birthday altogether.

Of note I am stationed with the military in Bahrain, and we travel locally now and again to keep my family sane. I understand that desire, I dragged them out here and the country is quite drab and boring so I won't deny them a bit of escapism (and we are saving a lot of money out here, even with the trips). The hotels here are little oasis in an otherwise bleak place. But since this trip is for MY birthday, I feel I can trim it without guilt!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #631 on: March 20, 2018, 09:22:49 PM »
No food out. I had a lunch that was included in a yearly membership, then had a 1.5 hour drive to another city for a (n ultimately pointless) late afternoon meeting. Our boss took us out for drinks to a pub, and I was tempted to grab food there on my own dime for dinner.

But I remembered the cleaned out jam jar I'd filled with smoked almonds from a bulk pack and tossed in my bag this morning. Yay morning me for anticipating evening me's hunger! I ate my almonds and drank from my refillable water bottle on the 1.5 hour drive home. Then I ate groceries instead of grabbing fast food.

teamzissou00

• Stubble
« Reply #632 on: March 21, 2018, 08:49:04 AM »
A new or refurbished watch. 

I'm a watch guy in the making.  I have 3, but my daily wearer is gaining 1-3 minutes per day.  It's an automatic movement which requires servicing about every 5-8 years for about $300.  I've never serviced it and was debating replacing it with a nice quartz watch with sapphire crystal that can survive on a battery for 20 years (new battery every year or so for $10). 

Anyway, for now I'm just turning back my clock every day and dealing with this first world problem =). 

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #633 on: March 21, 2018, 09:15:38 AM »
I did not buy more face soap when my current bottle got low.  I remembered I had a bottle in the linen closet.  I’m not vain in the slightest but I must have foaming face wash.  I also have a giant stash of Colgate Total I was reminded of.  Keeping this stuff at eye level in the linen closet helps.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #634 on: March 27, 2018, 09:26:03 PM »
I didn’t buy muffins today, tempting as they were in the grocery store. Went home and made a batch instead. 😀

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #635 on: March 27, 2018, 09:39:38 PM »
Not buying chocolate / treats even though I really want to. I am making protein balls with cocoa, which will satisfy the urge without doing as much damage to my health or wallet.

FreshPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #636 on: March 28, 2018, 04:52:34 AM »
I have not bought a pair of Adidas break-away pants that have been sitting in my Amazon shopping cart for weeks now.  Along with two new makeup brushes I've been lusting over.  The grand total for all three would be $32... but I'm trying to exercise restraint.

My birthday is in May.  I will include these on my list and send it to anyone interested :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:22:14 AM by FreshPrincess »

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #637 on: March 28, 2018, 06:09:39 AM »
Saw a deal on a chromebook for $100. Didn't buy

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #638 on: March 28, 2018, 07:59:19 AM »
I didn't buy dinner out, even though juggling the kids, activities, & work while my husband travels is starting to wear on me. Instead, i had tortilla chips & a piece of chocolate for dinner, while I made the kids something else. I know, the healthy food police should facepunch me, but I survived for another day.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #639 on: March 28, 2018, 08:14:02 AM »
I did not buy a new dryer when I realized mine was no longer tumbling. I ordered a new belt, which should arrive tomorrow. In the meantime, I will study some youtube videos on dryer repair.

I also avoided buying a nicer camper in order to get a bathroom. Instead, I ordered a seat to place on a bucket to take in the old, raggedy camper we already have. Total cost: under $10.

I technically bought something in both of these scenarios, so I'm not sure if that disqualifies me.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #640 on: March 28, 2018, 08:21:10 PM »
 I did not buy a massage. Kind of regretting it now, as everything hurts too much to sleep, but there's no guarantee a massage would've solved that problem.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #641 on: March 28, 2018, 08:50:22 PM »
I did not buy a new dryer when I realized mine was no longer tumbling. I ordered a new belt, which should arrive tomorrow. In the meantime, I will study some youtube videos on dryer repair.

I also avoided buying a nicer camper in order to get a bathroom. Instead, I ordered a seat to place on a bucket to take in the old, raggedy camper we already have. Total cost: under $10.

I technically bought something in both of these scenarios, so I'm not sure if that disqualifies me.

I’d claim it, you saved a fortune on the camper

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #642 on: March 29, 2018, 07:23:08 AM »
That beautiful, cobalt blue planting pot I saw on sale at the Tuesday Morning store. It would have looked so good next to the entrance door - alas, I do have a perfectly nice pot that I can use. Oh man - it sux to be mustachian - I want that pretty pot!
Well, the flowers will look just as good in the pot I already own, it is a nice pot - so get over yourself and curb your impulse spending.

Drowning my sorrows, eh, I mean, I'll celebrate my victory with a glass of wine this afternoon - after I replanted my old pot with spring flowers!:)

lowiyawa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #643 on: March 30, 2018, 04:07:01 AM »
i would imagine i have bought that stuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #644 on: April 07, 2018, 01:03:37 PM »
A new pair of nike tennies that were in the Eastbay catalog!!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #645 on: April 07, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »
A robot vacuum cleaner.  I was vaguely thinking about it but then my friend told me that she was given one and it gets stuck all the time and can't cope with kids' stuff on the floors.  Just saved 200 euros.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #646 on: April 30, 2018, 08:52:03 AM »
I walked an hour each way to the library to switch my books out, thereby avoiding buying car fuel from the journey, all while getting some exercise. And then once I was in town, I resisted entering the secondhand bookshop, wherein I would have undoubtedly bought one or two books, and so saved money there.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #647 on: April 30, 2018, 09:38:32 AM »
Went out for dinner on the weekend (boo spending money), but did not get a milkshake like I wanted. It was 5.99. I could make one at home if I really wanted, and once I got home the craving passed.

(Impt to note, I'm 38.5 weeks pregnant...this was quite the mental struggle to NOT get the milkshake)

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #648 on: April 30, 2018, 05:16:02 PM »
Breakfast, or lunch. Forgot bag on counter at home, at granola bar from deak. washed it down with my favorite coffee from the pot on my desk.

Great day all in all.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #649 on: June 08, 2018, 02:03:21 PM »
Did not have time to make lunch this morning as I usually do.  At work, I looked in the communal fridge and realized that I had a tiny amount of cream cheese left over from yesterday's lunch and some sun dried tomatoes that I got at the deli counter- so I went to the grocery store near work and bought just a bread roll for 30 cents.  Came back to the office and had a yummy sun dried tomato and cream cheese sandwich for lunch washed down with some OJ from the fridge and some yoghurt and nuts that I had in the office.