Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 320049 times)

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #550 on: April 30, 2017, 08:36:29 PM »
We're just eating down our stored up food instead.

This is my goal for the week- we have a ton of stored up food that we've made/frozen two months ago.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #551 on: April 30, 2017, 09:05:58 PM »
Didn't give into temptation to buy a rotisserie chicken on Friday. Didn't order delivery today. I'm getting sick of my own cooking and it's getting harder and harder to resist...

pianomom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #552 on: June 19, 2017, 04:50:40 PM »
I didn't buy a haircut. I've cut my kids and husband's hair for a decade, but have never been brave enough to try to cut my own long hair. Thankfully my hair is long right now and forgiving. I followed tutorials on YouTube and put it in a high ponytail close to my forehead and cut off some of the length. I don't think I cut off enough to cut the back of my hair, and I still had to do some minor touchups, but I'm pretty proud of myself. I might be more daring next time and cut more off.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #553 on: June 20, 2017, 04:33:39 AM »
Yesterday we did not buy a brake line for a backhoe because we can't find one to fit. Sigh.

rmp451

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #554 on: June 20, 2017, 10:03:13 PM »
Planned on taking my dad on a trout fishing trip two hours from home. This was for Father's Day. Dad said it was a stupid idea and that we could have just as fun of a time trout fishing around home. He was right. Got to fish some new streams, caught dinner, and had a great time. Probably saved over a 100 dollars in gas and out-of-state licenses.

justaguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #555 on: July 01, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »
Took the children to the pool today – resisted the puppy dog eyes and the numerous ‘pretty please’ request to buy candy and ice cream at the snack booth. 

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #556 on: July 11, 2017, 08:27:29 PM »
Ice tea, we went biking to grocery store in 30 Celsius and were considering grabbing ice tea , but we didn't buy it.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #557 on: July 12, 2017, 10:19:26 PM »
Jewelry - lots of jewelry. I went and looked at what I already own, which helped and I deleted all the items in my cart. Damage control aka MMM is working, I only purchased one item during gem week (on sale), pmt will come out of my discretionary budget for this month, so it will not derail my savings or other budget items.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #558 on: July 12, 2017, 10:33:47 PM »
A pepper mill.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #559 on: July 13, 2017, 10:34:43 AM »
Insect repellant. Usually buy about $30 - $40 of the stuff each summer. I don't seem to be having a problem with the little critters.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #560 on: July 13, 2017, 01:08:43 PM »
Chocolate. Did not buy chocolate. Will not buy chocolate.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #561 on: July 13, 2017, 02:35:08 PM »
Anything at the local artisans'/artists' festival.  Specifically a leaves shaped fountain. 

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #562 on: July 21, 2017, 08:33:12 PM »
The $13,400 antarctic cruise I called to book was sold out (the cabin I wanted anyways), sold out in 1 day.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #563 on: July 21, 2017, 09:26:52 PM »
The $13,400 antarctic cruise I called to book was sold out (the cabin I wanted anyways), sold out in 1 day.

Damn.  And I thought I was a spendypants cruising Alaska every few years...

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #564 on: July 21, 2017, 09:47:11 PM »
A restaurant meal. Yay!

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #565 on: July 23, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »
Lunch at a restaurant during a bike ride. This wasn't primarily to save money or dodge calories, it was because it was forecast to rain later and we wanted to get home before getting drenched.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #566 on: July 24, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »
Yesterday we went to see a Spider Man matinee, and the theater was freezing.  I decided I'd go get a small black coffee.  Wife requested that I get her "something salty, but not popcorn".  I get to concessions and the coffee machine is down, and the pretzels were sold out.  Rather than picking out some other snack, I just said never mind.  Almost spent an extra $8-$9, but fate decided I should save it!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #567 on: July 25, 2017, 11:22:27 AM »
Did not buy lunch at work today. I've been so, so bad about bringing my lunch lately. Trying to get back on the wagon.

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #568 on: July 25, 2017, 12:53:11 PM »
I did not buy macarons at the bakery I pass all the time.  I also did not even step into the West Elm when I saw the sale sign.  I'm feeling "blah" about my decor right now (SUCH A STUPID PROBLEM!) but I know if I go into a store to "look for inspiration" I'll end up buying something.  It's better for me to browse websites/Pinterest and see how I can repurpose or rearrange what I have.

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #569 on: July 27, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »
I've got a really great one this week. I have very demanding feet (post-double-bunionectomy) and on the rare occasion that I do buy shoes, I usually shell out >$100 for shoes that are a) comfortable and b) high quality enough to last the 5-7 years I put them through.

I've been 100% out of professional flats (literal gaping holes in my last pair) and wearing sneakers to work, but really needed some "nice" shoes for the occasions I go to weddings, see clients, etc. I was about to buy a $125 pair of black leather flats that met my criteria... and then my MIL unexpectedly donated an old pair of her Dansko flats to me since they don't fit her anymore! $125-$150 saved and I won't need new shoes for another several years!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #570 on: July 27, 2017, 02:31:05 PM »
I've got a really great one this week. I have very demanding feet (post-double-bunionectomy) and on the rare occasion that I do buy shoes, I usually shell out >$100 for shoes that are a) comfortable and b) high quality enough to last the 5-7 years I put them through.

I've been 100% out of professional flats (literal gaping holes in my last pair) and wearing sneakers to work, but really needed some "nice" shoes for the occasions I go to weddings, see clients, etc. I was about to buy a $125 pair of black leather flats that met my criteria... and then my MIL unexpectedly donated an old pair of her Dansko flats to me since they don't fit her anymore! $125-$150 saved and I won't need new shoes for another several years!
Mind if I ask where you usually shop? I had a bunionectomy on my left foot, and now it's just so difficult to find shoes that fit (because my feet are different sizes and shapes now) and are comfortable (because I have screws in the top foot that don't like to be touched) and work appropriate/not fugly.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #571 on: July 27, 2017, 02:57:03 PM »

Mind if I ask where you usually shop? I had a bunionectomy on my left foot, and now it's just so difficult to find shoes that fit (because my feet are different sizes and shapes now) and are comfortable (because I have screws in the top foot that don't like to be touched) and work appropriate/not fugly.

A friend from work found that Clarks worked well for her. She also has screws on the top of her feet.

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #572 on: July 28, 2017, 06:42:16 AM »
Well, I haven't really shopped for shoes since the surgery so I can't help much :p

The pair I just got are Dansko. I heard good things about them from others with food problems.

My "tennis shoes" are from On Running. I don't really run so I can't speak to their running goodness but they have room for my feet so they feel comfy to wear at work.

Bones

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #573 on: August 01, 2017, 11:37:05 PM »
I did not buy new climbing shoes or a new climbing rope, even though both of those are on their last legs and I will have to replace them eventually (if I want to pursue a passion that has given me immense joy in life), they don't need to be replaced and can be enjoyed as they are for hopefully the rest of the season.

snorrie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #574 on: August 03, 2017, 08:50:29 AM »
I needed some mustachian motivation again! I haven't been throwing my money out the window or anything, but haven't really been paying attention either. Case in point: I just discovered three boxes of couscous in my pantry. Bought on separate occasions, not as a deal. Ugh.

Today I did not buy groceries, yet again. Been postponing it for three days now, and instead I've been cooking/eating out of the pantry/fridge/freezer instead of going to the store for whatever I felt like eating that day.

Also: trying to cut spending since I will be moving soon and some costs will be involved.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #575 on: August 03, 2017, 11:00:33 AM »
I did not buy junk food.  This took a lot of will power.  I did buy some quick to prep, splurgey food to get me through what's going to be a rough couple days, but no chips or cookies.  I will be eating real meals, not just snacking.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #576 on: August 04, 2017, 09:03:04 AM »
I went on a MMM reading binge a few weeks ago which turned into a personal no spending challenge.  My goal was really to eat out of the pantry/freezer but eat well and to not eat any meals at restaurants.  I take my lunch to work every night (one benefit of working night shift, nothing is open!) so that's not an issue but on my days off I tend to slack off a bit. 

The no-restaurant part went fine, but of course there were other expenses.  We took our dog to the vet to be seen and it was not cheap (but worth it of course!) and I had a planned expense coming up that hit during this spending holiday.  So the total numbers kind of sucked for the 2 week period, but the lessons learned were valuable.  They are...

1. I'm addicted to convenient food.  The cafeteria at my hospital is way too convenient (and good) it can be difficult to say no when my shift is over (and the cafeteria is now open).  If when I eat there, I have decided to focus more on the cream of wheat which is cheap, healthy and filling instead of potatoes and a sausage which has been my norm in the past. 

2. Man oh man do we have a LOT of food in our house.  I hit the freezer hard and it seems like I barely made a dent.  Going forward, I'd honestly like to focus more meals on fresher foods than on shelf stable foods.  Budget Bytes is fantastic and I'll be using that as an eating reference in the future. 

3. Man, I wish it wasn't so hot.  I do not want to use the oven when it is 100 degrees outside.  It's been blazing hot for weeks now, and I could really use a break. 

4. I don't have a lot of urge to just spend money for the sake of spending money.  I spend on my hobby (metal detecting) and food and the un-avoidable costs and that's about it.  If I want to cut down spending, we need to eat at restaurants less. 

Experiences like these are great for learning more about yourself and your spending habits.  I recommend a spending holiday today!!

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #577 on: August 05, 2017, 10:56:19 AM »
^ sounds like a great experience Ice Beard! I too have a soft spot for convenience foods and restaurants, and that's been one of the biggest things I've been proud of myself for cutting down on.

One tip re:freezer meals. My wife and I often make freezer meals that are "augmented" by fresh food. By that I mean if you freeze a main dish, but then have fresh veggies or something to go with it, it really adds a lot and makes it seem more fresh.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #578 on: August 06, 2017, 01:31:56 AM »
Lunch at a shopping centre, even though I wanted to chew off my own arm with hunger by the time we got home.

Homemade Cuban sandwiches for lunch beats food court food any day.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #579 on: August 08, 2017, 07:47:01 AM »
I had two 0 SPEND DAYS in a row!! On a long weekend!! What is this witchcraft!??

Sunday: Biked downtown to watch a free comedy show at a free festival. Saved ~$10+ in parking. Packed a lunch, so saved the money from the festival food. Brought water bottles to fill up. Didn't by fancy $2 Robot Tea. Biked around a bit more after, explored a new park, had the picnic, and then biked home. Didn't stop for ice cream. Thought we might need groceries, but rummaged through the pantry and freezer and put together a good meal!

Monday:
Didn't leave the house, was lazy, easy to not spend.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #580 on: August 10, 2017, 01:53:51 PM »
A soda from the work cafe. I could use some caffeine, but I'm not about to pay $1.72 for a 20 oz bottle

1later_bloomer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #581 on: August 13, 2017, 06:41:42 PM »
I didn't buy a new to me bedroom set for $550 that retails new for over $2000. The foster daughter I was going to get it for only wants the bed frame, she wants us to go get her own dresser and mattress. I realised I could get just the bed frame much cheaper and not have to figure out where to keep the extra pieces until she moves out.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #582 on: August 14, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »
I will NOT be buying a coffee today. (I need to chant this like a mantra, to make sure it's true!)

icbatbh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #583 on: August 16, 2017, 08:13:57 AM »
Today I had to meet my best friend and his father at lunchtime so that I could be measured for a suit for his wedding (I'm the best man). I arrived 10 minutes early so instead of paying to use the car park right next to the tailors, I drove around until I found a nearby street where I could park my P.O.S car for free.

My best friend arrived shortly afterwards. I told him about the street I parked in and he said that he couldn't be bothered, so paid to use the car park.

About 15 minutes later his dad arrived in his very fancy Mercedes E63 AMG estate. He also chose to park right next to the shop, except he didn't have any money for the parking so my best friend had to pay for him. I couldn't help but smile about the whole situation.

narrative

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #584 on: August 19, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
I did NOT buy dinner at a restaurant.

I cooked a 3lb pot roast with carrots and potatoes in an instant pot *in a hotel room.* It gave us dinner for 4 and 3 meals in tupperware for my husband for this week for less than the cost of a meal out.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #585 on: August 24, 2017, 09:41:13 AM »
Made a smoothie at home, so I did not buy oatmeal at work. It's a tiny thing, but I've been a very, very bad spendypants this summer, so I'm trying to get back on track.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #586 on: August 28, 2017, 01:18:04 AM »
Bananas for tomorrow. My dad gave me two for helping him "declutter". (Now with 15% less stuff, and the other 85% in a new container....

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #587 on: August 30, 2017, 07:37:11 AM »
I haven't spent money since my Saturday morning groceries. Hoping to go the rest of the month without spending, but I'm running out of staples!

alice76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #588 on: August 30, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »
We borrowed a friend's car instead of paying an exorbitant car rental fee for a rare father/son day trip outside of the city (NYC).

stashja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #589 on: September 07, 2017, 08:40:05 PM »
Lunch at work. $6 at farmer's market + 99 cent can of chick peas = 3 days of chard, tomato, and sweet potato salad in a box.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #590 on: September 08, 2017, 09:12:29 AM »
Yesterday, I did NOT buy a Samsung Gear S2 or S3 watch. I'll use phone apps instead, and that will take care of 90% of what I wanted. Can live without the rest.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #591 on: November 03, 2017, 02:37:53 PM »
I did not buy a new phone. Instead I paid $60 to get the battery in my iPhone 5s replaced yesterday.

I’m so happy about this :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #592 on: November 03, 2017, 05:09:03 PM »
I did not buy a new phone. Instead I paid $60 to get the battery in my iPhone 5s replaced yesterday.

I'm going on ~10 months now using a mildly broken phone (charging circuitry broke so I have to turn off the phone and physically remove the battery to charge it). It's somewhat inconvenient, but it will make me feel that much less guilty when I do go get a new phone.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #593 on: November 03, 2017, 05:39:36 PM »
Coffee at this bistro where I work.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #594 on: November 03, 2017, 07:46:13 PM »

I'm going on ~10 months now using a mildly broken phone (charging circuitry broke so I have to turn off the phone and physically remove the battery to charge it). It's somewhat inconvenient, but it will make me feel that much less guilty when I do go get a new phone.
Nice one

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #595 on: November 06, 2017, 07:10:59 AM »

Good job Buffalo!!! I spent almost 3 years with a broken phone. Volume button was stuck on UP and when I restarted my phone I had to basically hack into it so it didn't go to the manual programming mode. Then my screen broke (but still usable). Then the wifi/gps stopped working. It became a point of pride that I didn't get a new phone. I enjoy testing my tolerance levels :D.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #596 on: November 06, 2017, 06:18:50 PM »
Groceries here. Did not buy this weekend or today, which means no fresh fruit or veggies, which is bad, but may not be bad enough to drive me to a store tomorrow, either. I hate grocery shopping. Wonder if I could make it until the coffee runs out?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #597 on: November 06, 2017, 10:56:53 PM »
Never left the house, for the no-spending win!

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #598 on: November 06, 2017, 11:46:32 PM »
 A drink. We had work drinks for Melbourne Cup, once the work tab run out at 4pm others started buying their own drinks, I stopped drinking.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #599 on: November 07, 2017, 10:42:33 PM »
A drink. We had work drinks for Melbourne Cup, once the work tab run out at 4pm others started buying their own drinks, I stopped drinking.

Spot the Aussie. :)

We drank in the office.