Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 320001 times)

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #500 on: December 23, 2016, 12:40:38 PM »
Wrapping paper or gift bags!
Asked a friend if she had any left over and she did (and was happy to part with them).

Happy Holidays!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #501 on: December 23, 2016, 04:36:30 PM »
I did not buy flowers from the supermarket for our Christmas table. We are in SoCal and there is still plenty of local greenery I can cut and arrange nicely for centerpieces.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #502 on: December 23, 2016, 04:44:06 PM »
A plunger.

My sink (with disposal) wouldn't drain last night. The disposal wasn't stopped or jammed, the water just churned when I turned it on. I tried a few things to clear it, but nothing was working so I bailed out most of the water and went to bed as it was too late to go to the store. This morning, I was getting dressed to make a Home Depot run and decided to give it one last try before buying anything. Baking soda, vingegar, and a pot of boiling water did the trick. I happy danced in the kitchen with my dog and it's been draining like a champ all day.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #503 on: December 24, 2016, 03:20:17 AM »
Sent my husband, with a list, to do our big shop for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day/Boxing Day. If I had have gone with him, many more last minute items would have found their way into the cart.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #504 on: December 24, 2016, 02:10:26 PM »
I didn't buy gifts for any of my immediate family members this year. Instead, I selected charities that would be meaningful to them individually, and made a donation in their honour.

One of my brothers seemed genuinely confused and disappointed. Parents and other siblings seemed really touched.

I also encouraged them all to think about doing the same for me (and each other), given that we all have literally everything we need.

eeho

• Stubble
    • Check out my MMM journal - Stubblefaced-aussie-girl-with-a-five-year-deadline-for-fire!
« Reply #505 on: December 27, 2016, 05:24:03 PM »
A couple of days late, but I didn't go to the Boxing Day sales to buy new sandals, instead my mum gave me some sandals that she hadn't worn yet and didn't fit her but fit me perfectly!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #506 on: December 27, 2016, 06:15:54 PM »
Drove right by Sbux and came home to make a lovely cup of tea.

mousebandit

• Bristles
« Reply #507 on: December 27, 2016, 08:59:56 PM »
Got my first job in 15 years and was planning to go buy some appropriate office clothes.  As a homeschool and homestead mom, my clothing selection was jeans with red tshirt or jeans with black tshirt.  But hubby finished fixing the closet, and I got my closet boxes unpacked and realized I had a decent selection of dressy clothes.  Most aren't my favorites, but they will do for the 14-week job.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #508 on: December 28, 2016, 11:49:56 PM »
An oddly-specific spring has disappeared from the ice-cube tray in my freezer (possibly from moving house?)

I just looked up a parts website to replace the whole tray (did I mention oddly-specific spring?)

$55. I only paid $350 for the fridge!

Time to get creative.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #509 on: December 29, 2016, 01:55:57 AM »
Didn't go out today .. that helps keep me from buying anything. Amazon and other online retailers are harder to avoid but I did avoid them today:-)

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #510 on: December 29, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »
I did not buy coffee or a pastry from the coffee shop by work. Instead I made myself black tea and am waiting for my lunch (which is some amazing curry a friend made- worth waiting for).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #511 on: December 30, 2016, 07:51:34 AM »
Going out to lunch with a friend later and suggested an empanada place I've been wanting to try.  Just happens that lunch is like $5 vs. $10-15 at our usual places, and it's very close to friend's house.

Combining said lunch trip with dropping DH's car off at the shop and going out to check on my horse this afternoon instead of taking separate trips.  Will use the 30c/gallon discount from Fred Meyer points when I fill up on the way home.

Leaving a post-dated board check at the stable so I don't have to use a stamp to mail it when I'm out of town next month.

Also scheming on key ingredients I should pack in my suitcase to help with cooking while I'm on detail (e.g. bring some of my bulk coconut oil instead of buying a small, pricey jar while there).

Going to check with my gym and see if they will suspend my membership while I'm gone.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #512 on: January 01, 2017, 10:42:01 AM »
Canceled an order for a $400+ water-saving showerhead. The free water-saving showerheads we got from the local water utility seem to be doing the job just fine.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #513 on: January 03, 2017, 01:14:05 AM »
Chips. We have snacks (chocolate and chips) and salty, crunchy chips are very appealing to me in the afternoon. But I resisted! And my reward will be the delicious pizza I will make at home tonight for my dinner :-)

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #514 on: January 03, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »
Went to Costco today. Bought only what was on my shopping list. Epic win.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #515 on: January 05, 2017, 08:14:39 PM »
There was a lovely sign on stretched canvas at a discount decorating store that I so badly wanted to buy. I picked it up and turned it over. It was $16. Nope. About 18 hours later I realized I could buy a canvas for $2 at the dollar store and use some craft paint we have kicking round. The sign said

Be
Kind
Always

I love that! I can handwrite fairly nicely so I am going to make my own sign! Yay! $14 saved!

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #516 on: January 06, 2017, 07:45:49 AM »
There was a lovely sign on stretched canvas at a discount decorating store that I so badly wanted to buy. I picked it up and turned it over. It was $16. Nope. About 18 hours later I realized I could buy a canvas for $2 at the dollar store and use some craft paint we have kicking round. The sign said

Be
Kind
Always

I love that! I can handwrite fairly nicely so I am going to make my own sign! Yay! $14 saved!

What a great idea!  That's an awesome way to decorate your walls cheaply, but also uniquely.  I might just have to steal it!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #517 on: January 06, 2017, 07:25:30 PM »
A new bath mat, despite the bleach spot on the one I only bought in August.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #518 on: January 06, 2017, 09:29:50 PM »
*Update*

I made my sign today and I'm pretty happy with the results.  The professional one at the store was probably about 20% nicer than mine and I can live with that!

I mixed dollar store acrylics - white with a drop of black to make grey for the background and then painted with a fat brush, leaving some whitish patches to make it look irregular. Then I practiced lettering on paper with straight black paint until I found a brush size and letter style I was happy with. Then I just free-handed the letters on lines I drew lightly in pencil.

The whole project took me under half an hour.

I would encourage others to try this ... believe me, I've never done anything like this before! If it didn't turn out, I would have painted over the thing and given my son the canvas to paint on.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #519 on: January 06, 2017, 10:20:44 PM »
I really wanted chocolate today but was good and didn't buy any when I was at the grocery store.

Low and behold, my wife came home with some chocolate that was given to her by a coworker. win!

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #520 on: January 13, 2017, 07:34:55 PM »
This sounds stupid, but my friends were bragging about pre ordering the upcoming Nintendo Switch. It's a measly $300 and I was so jealous and tempted.

Alas, I resisted the dark side of the Financial Force and saved myself a few hundred bucks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #521 on: January 13, 2017, 07:48:56 PM »
A $3.50 sammich at work. Brought a tuna fish on wheat from home instead.

Was getting hungry by the end of the day though. Time-Restricted feeding can suck that way sometimes (especially when your kiddo wakes you 5 am).

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #522 on: January 14, 2017, 02:08:37 PM »
A new charging dock for my new iPhone that has a case. It won't charge with the case on, in my old Belkin docks because their lightning prong is too short. Was going to buy a $20 extender doohickey and then found this:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+modify+Belkin+Sync+Dock+for+iPhone+with+protective+case/75203

Worth some surgical sawing of the plastic around the prong with a kitchen knife. Modified dock works fine.

The next post after this is going to be "I didn't buy an iPhone". HA! Beat you to it.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #523 on: January 14, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »
Pizza for dinner.  Instead I used a Trader Joe's crust and made my own.  I've tried to be better and make my own crust but I don't like how they've turned out in the past so I'm good with the store bought.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #524 on: January 14, 2017, 07:25:04 PM »
Everything!! Yay for a snowed in Saturday at home.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #525 on: January 15, 2017, 12:35:43 PM »
A one tablespoon cookie scoop, $19 plus $8 shipping.  I'm clearing out the pantry and made chocolate chip cookies.  I already have a teaspoonful scoop and I made it work.  The power of the dark side is strong.  If I wanted to be extra frugal/minimalist I could just go the old fashioned way and use the silverware tablespoonful-

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #526 on: January 15, 2017, 05:01:38 PM »
A one tablespoon cookie scoop, $19 plus $8 shipping.  I'm clearing out the pantry and made chocolate chip cookies.  I already have a teaspoonful scoop and I made it work.  The power of the dark side is strong.  If I wanted to be extra frugal/minimalist I could just go the old fashioned way and use the silverware tablespoonful-

Ice-cream scoops work well, too.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #527 on: January 17, 2017, 04:30:52 AM »
Salad dressing. Couldn't deal with spending $4.49 for lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #528 on: January 17, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »
Today was one of the rare days I went out for lunch. A co-worker is leaving the company,  and another former co-worker met us there.

Anyways, I bought the small size meal (still plenty of food), and only drank water. Score.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #529 on: January 19, 2017, 11:26:55 PM »
A 7 inch springform pan to make cheesecake in my instant pot (I have an 8 inch one I got for $3 that works for the oven and I havent even used it yet) and a 3qt mesh strainer basket to strain the yogurt I make in the instant pot (I have a small one that works - just have to strain my yogurt in batches). I even had them in my Amazon shopping cart and almost checked out. I gave DH the heads up and he reminded me about our frugal goals. *sigh* I know he's right but I'm still sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, I feel your pain. I have a recipe I only make during the holidays that requires a food grinder attachment for the mixer. This year, I was able to borrow one, thanks to Nextdoor. I found a refurbished one for $20 and put it in my Amazon shopping cart, but I haven't pulled the trigger. I have an Amazon gift card, so it's no money OOP, but I just can't justify such a specialized item for a recipe I make twice a year. What the hell else does one do with a food grinder? I know they can be used to make sausage, but I'm a vegetarian, so that's not gonna happen...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #530 on: January 20, 2017, 10:41:32 AM »
A 7 inch springform pan to make cheesecake in my instant pot (I have an 8 inch one I got for $3 that works for the oven and I havent even used it yet) and a 3qt mesh strainer basket to strain the yogurt I make in the instant pot (I have a small one that works - just have to strain my yogurt in batches). I even had them in my Amazon shopping cart and almost checked out. I gave DH the heads up and he reminded me about our frugal goals. *sigh* I know he's right but I'm still sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, I feel your pain. I have a recipe I only make during the holidays that requires a food grinder attachment for the mixer. This year, I was able to borrow one, thanks to Nextdoor. I found a refurbished one for $20 and put it in my Amazon shopping cart, but I haven't pulled the trigger. I have an Amazon gift card, so it's no money OOP, but I just can't justify such a specialized item for a recipe I make twice a year. What the hell else does one do with a food grinder? I know they can be used to make sausage, but I'm a vegetarian, so that's not gonna happen...

Nuts, grains, chickpea flour. Coffee.

Or do you mean a meat grinder? In which case, not much.

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #531 on: January 20, 2017, 11:01:44 AM »
In 2017, I am planning on unsubscribing to retail emails, not visiting any blogs that just promote and review products, etc. etc.   I need to take my head completely out of the game, otherwise, it will forever be a struggle for me.  If I see something I always think I need it or just want it and it stays with me until I either buy it or realize I don't want it after all. 

This helps a HUGE deal.  I cut cable (aprx 10 yrs ago), don't read fashion/decor magazines and only subscribe to a select group of retail emails (which I generally don't open unless I am heading to that store anyways).  I'm out of the loop when it comes to the latest and greatest products but my current things all work just fine and it removes that constant repetition of "you need this! your life will be better with this!  save money by spending money on this!".

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: January 23, 2017, 10:43:52 PM »
In 2017, I am planning on unsubscribing to retail emails, not visiting any blogs that just promote and review products, etc. etc.   I need to take my head completely out of the game, otherwise, it will forever be a struggle for me.  If I see something I always think I need it or just want it and it stays with me until I either buy it or realize I don't want it after all. 

This helps a HUGE deal.  I cut cable (aprx 10 yrs ago), don't read fashion/decor magazines and only subscribe to a select group of retail emails (which I generally don't open unless I am heading to that store anyways).  I'm out of the loop when it comes to the latest and greatest products but my current things all work just fine and it removes that constant repetition of "you need this! your life will be better with this!  save money by spending money on this!".

Agreed- it's crazy to think about it, but by not looking at coupons I find myself buying less stuff. It's like the coupon has this unholy ability to make me think "I need to buy that! It's a good deal!" without ever stopping to think if I really need that item.

Mr Chin Stubble

• Stubble
« Reply #533 on: January 25, 2017, 08:02:42 AM »
Breakfast

I was hungry despite eating a lot the night before. That's why I didn't buy it.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #534 on: January 28, 2017, 03:09:26 AM »
Realized today that it used to be a habit to order in pizza about once a month. For our large family, it usually came to around $80 with tax and tip! Ack!

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #535 on: January 29, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »
I had packed food to take with me on a multi-day flight assignment so I HAD food...it's just that I didn't particularly feel like eating what I had packed when meal time came.  I still managed to resist picking food up which means I get to put part of my food allowance into savings instead of spending it on unhealthy airport meal options.  To better explain, if my employer gives me $12 to buy breakfast but I bring oatmeal from home and eat it in my room, I've spent pennies on breakfast instead of $12 on a coffee and breakfast sandwich (figures made up off the top of my head, I'm not sure what our meal breakdowns are currently). 

I can't always bring food (it depends on how long my day is, whether the hotel will have a fridge I can use, custom regulations, etc) but I try to be pretty consistent about eating oatmeal instead of airport breakfasts and even that little bit is helpful. :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #536 on: January 30, 2017, 11:44:50 PM »
Chocolate, because my awesome manager worked out ahead of time that I'd want chocolate after completing an arduous (but enjoyable and fulfilling!) work task and put chocolate on my desk for me :D

Working ain't all bad, y'know.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #537 on: January 31, 2017, 12:07:56 AM »
McDonalds. It sounded so tasty.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #538 on: January 31, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
New couches. Ours are only 7 years old and still in great condition. We are renovating and they didn't match the wall color and theme so my SO wanted to buy new ones. I thought it was ridiculous. We compromised and will be getting some new pillows for them and a rug to tie the colors together.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #539 on: February 05, 2017, 08:51:25 AM »
Meat. We have too much in our freezer already, and because we're eating more vegan meals these days, it will last even longer. So no new meat of the types we have frozen. Going forward, I'll have to retrain myself not to stock up when it is on sale. That will leave more room in the freezer for nice homemade veggie dishes.

lizh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #540 on: February 05, 2017, 10:04:19 AM »
I went to BedBathBeyond to get exchange cannisters for my soda stream and was tempted by so many things! New sheets were on sale (but it can wait) a towel that is supposed to dry your hair really well so that you don't need to use the blow dryer as long (oh well, my hair can take it) new pots and pans!  new towels! new! new! new!
I walked out with only what I came for.
phew!

FrugalFarmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #541 on: February 05, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »
A new smartphone.  Mine stopped working yesterday, out of the blue.  Rather than rushing out to the store to purchase a brand new one at full price, I posted a notice on Facebook asking if any friends had an old phone lying around that I could borrow for a couple weeks.  Someone did!  Knowing that I have a little more time to pursue a better option, I then found a local electronics repair shop.  The closest repair shop is located in another city, but DH was about to pass through that city anyway on his way to a party.  So, I asked DH to drop the phone off at the repair shop on his way.  If the old phone can't be fixed, I'll be able to keep the loaner phone long enough to order a suitable used phone from ebay.  Saved:  the exorbitant cost of the plastic wrapping on a brand new phone, mileage to drive to another city, my free time this afternoon- which I can now use to work on the awesome chicken coop and bee hive I've been building from scratch. 

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #542 on: February 05, 2017, 12:33:02 PM »
Acrylic drawers for my cosmetics that cost 150.  do people really pay that much for plastic.  Gee whiz.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #543 on: February 06, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »
I was at the bakery outlet buying bread today... and I didn't buy any of the coffee cakes/cinnamon roll-type treats that they have there.

DrMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #544 on: February 06, 2017, 06:26:03 PM »
Today I did NOT buy a new dryer! My DH (who is awesome, by the way) watched a youtube video about fixing what turned out to be a broken fuse. $8 later, all is well!

Also, perhaps equally impressive, I did not buy girl scout cookies!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #545 on: February 06, 2017, 07:21:17 PM »
Posted in the Frugal February thread too:  Did not buy a horse trailer today. Actually rather disappointed as the very specific trailer I want came up used in Wisconsin for a great price. Called this morning and they already had a likely buyer, but also would not ship a used trailer without the buyer physically going to see it first, which is not a possibility right now.  Too bad, because I could have sold my current trailer for a bit more than this one was listed for, and gotten an upgrade in both age and features.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #546 on: February 07, 2017, 05:44:34 AM »
Agreed- it's crazy to think about it, but by not looking at coupons I find myself buying less stuff. It's like the coupon has this unholy ability to make me think "I need to buy that! It's a good deal!" without ever stopping to think if I really need that item.
I avoid retail affinity programs like the plague, because I believe they make you spend more in the long run. So, no target red card, no cartwheel, no DSW whatever it's called. Boy, are they pushy about theirs.

On road trips, I look at DH's and my phones and unsubscribe to everything I can. DH does a lot of internet searches on his phone, so he gets loads of junk mail. It multiplies like rabbits if left unchecked. Great way to pass an hour or so on a long trip. Of course, I'm not driving.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #547 on: April 25, 2017, 10:24:16 PM »
I did not $30 of bicycle accessories because I realized I already have a stroller accessory (curb shopped no less!) that does the same thing.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #548 on: April 28, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »
I've got an old Nikon D60 which works well but is seriously showing its age, especially in indoor lighting or with fast moving subjects.  I've been thinking about upgrading on and off for a while now (specifically to a more compact mirrorless, and something that can do adequate video as well) but its hard to justify the expense of a dslr/mirrorless when you already have something that is okay.

Almost pulled the trigger on a Sony a6000 because bestbuy is providing a $100 credit on a compatible lens, and will also let you apply that discount to open-box lenses.

I still might but I'll think about it for another few days.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #549 on: April 28, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
I didn't go grocery shopping.  Even though I was 'supposed' to go 10 days ago.  We're just eating down our stored up food instead.