Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 319971 times)

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #450 on: September 27, 2016, 07:44:30 AM »
Despite my weekend weakness, when I went to the Awesome Ladies' Bookclub hosted at the local coffee shop, I did not buy coffee or a pastry. Temptation: resisted! Extra bonus: I rode my bike there!

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #451 on: September 27, 2016, 08:39:37 AM »
The best way of saving money on stuff is not buying anything at all ;)

What temptations did you leave behind in the store? :)

For me today:
- A polo shirt at the thrift shop. It was just €4,50, but that was the only reason I was considering to buy it.
I think that the way that I have cured temptation spending is by spending everyday of the week on my mortgage. I seriously walk to the bank to spend on my mortgage and pay down debt. I dont care if its 5 bucks or 2000 bucks. I sound so often on it that it stops all other spending because I run out of extra money to spend on anything else. lol !!!!

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #452 on: October 05, 2016, 10:17:05 AM »
I'm not sure if this counts but we got a trustedhousesitters account(which cost some money) but it saved us booking 3 weeks with the dog sitter and the cat sitter.  About 100$ for the site and in less than a day we have a lovely woman who is going to stay in our house and take care of all of our animals.  The alternative we didn't buy would be 25$ a day for the dog and 20$ a day for the cats which is almost 1000$!  Probably could have negotiated both sitters down for the extended time, but I figure I saved at least 400$.

referral link: https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/su/XDBdEIvq
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:31:27 AM by druth »

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #453 on: October 05, 2016, 05:43:41 PM »
Work told me today they will start giving me a $30 stipend for my cell service each month.  I just switched to Ting last month and I project my monthly bill to be $15, $30 at the absolute most.

FrugalFarmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #454 on: October 06, 2016, 07:36:02 AM »
Lip balm.  I forgot my lip balm when I left for the office yesterday.  Could have bought an overpriced inferior replacement at the office convenience store, but I elected to tough it out.  My lips were dry and cracked by the end of the day, but they're already back to normal.  Saved $2.50, some plastic and gross petroleum based goo.  (I normally make my own lip balm)

I have found that the more I use lip balm, the more I need to use it. I stopped using it all together and now my lips are fine.

I have found that the less I use lip balm, the more I need to use it. I use it all the time and now my lips are fine.

FrugalFarmer, do you have a link to the recipe you use for the balm? Would be nice to add that to my repertoire and probably save some bucks, too.

Not FrugalFarmer, but mine is plain vegetable shortening with just a little honey mixed in until smooth. Just enough honey so it's beige and sweet, but not enough so it's sticky. Maybe one part honey to 7-8 parts shortening? I keep it in a little pot and just apply with a finger.

I kind of wing it and test the consistency periodically and make adjustments.  This recipe looks similar to what I make, except I prefer half coconut oil, half sweet almond oil.  I bought a huge brick of beeswax from the farmers market years ago, and I'm still chipping away at that.  The vitamin e oil is the most important thing for moisturizing and I suggest getting a very concentrated one.  I pour my finished lip balm into reused containers from other lip balm or tiger balm or tiny food jars or whatever.  http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2015/12/lip-balm-recipe.html

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #455 on: October 06, 2016, 03:14:12 PM »
Thanks, FrugalFarmer!  I will save this (and Rural's recipe) for when I run low.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #456 on: October 12, 2016, 03:24:24 PM »
I passed up a sale on some Manitobah Mukluks I've been eyeing. I put them in my cart 3 times and closed the window each time. Then I envisioned my early retirement and kid successful in college.

EarlThePearl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #457 on: October 12, 2016, 04:36:21 PM »
Fancy Pants Stubbs Wooten $450 loafers for $50 on eBay. Very cool but not sure about the size (could have returned but would pay shipping) and definitely don't need them.

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #458 on: October 12, 2016, 05:05:23 PM »
A friend of mine has a vespa 300 Super sport.  It is my dream scooter.  he's offering it at less than half of MSRP, in good shape.  I'd love riding the shiat out of it.  I have the cash in hand!

I told him we need to save a bit more for probably buying a house in the next year or so, or at least have more rainy day $$.  It was a nice feeling to know that I COULD do it if I wanted.

I've also been wanting to build a new computer for a while.  It's part of how I make my living, and I've milked a decade out of an $800 computer.  Waiting on that too.  the desire to do so is not stronger than the desire to have $$ in my fist.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #459 on: October 16, 2016, 09:35:05 PM »
Custard after youth group....went home to leftover homemade cheesy mac instead :)

Mark331

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #460 on: October 16, 2016, 09:57:10 PM »
The best way of saving money on stuff is not buying anything at all ;)

What temptations did you leave behind in the store? :)

For me today:
- A polo shirt at the thrift shop. It was just €4,50, but that was the only reason I was considering to buy it.
I didn't buy anything and I was never tempted to spend either. I guess that I'm a lucky guy. I am extremely content. I went to the grocery store with my wife and they always have free samples there. I usually eat free lunch every day at the grocery store deli because they have free 1/4 sized sandwiches. So thats my big consumer splurge for the day. I burn some calories which is human fuel to get to the free same counter.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #461 on: October 16, 2016, 11:51:47 PM »
Bras. I was on the website ordering them when I remembered I usually get a $25 birthday voucher from them.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #462 on: October 17, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »
I did not buy pantry and fridge organizer items. So tempting. I want a proper can rack for the pantry. And egg bins for the fridge (we buy in bulk from costco).

jeeebus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #463 on: October 20, 2016, 08:11:29 AM »
2 Christmas jumpers. They were buy one, get one free. Then I realised that I already look like a plank when I wear my existing Christmas jumper - especially in July.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #464 on: October 20, 2016, 01:28:14 PM »
Lunch and coffee.  At a work seminar today with lunch provided.

Anejo rum.  My seasonal fall treat is hot apple cider with a bit of rum at night, but I'm using some vodka and dark rum instead of buying another bottle of my preferred spirit.  The struggle is real.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #465 on: October 20, 2016, 01:36:44 PM »
A book that I have had in my wish list for a few months, unfortunately, I bought three others off of the same wish list...hangs head in shame.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #466 on: October 20, 2016, 03:52:42 PM »
2 Christmas jumpers. They were buy one, get one free. Then I realised that I already look like a plank when I wear my existing Christmas jumper - especially in July.

I think we need photos... :D

jeeebus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #467 on: October 21, 2016, 02:11:41 AM »

I think we need photos... :D

I'm not sure we do!

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #468 on: October 22, 2016, 04:52:57 PM »
Was visiting Paris a few days, and walked everywhere and ate breakfast at my airbnb and packed lunch every day.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #469 on: October 23, 2016, 12:08:10 AM »
I wanted coffee at Starbucks today but I resisted the urge; I had tea at home.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #470 on: October 23, 2016, 03:50:10 AM »
I didn't buy the very lovely clothes that I saw at my favorite store today. Saved myself nearly 150 euros! Yay!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #471 on: October 23, 2016, 04:17:03 AM »

Anejo rum.  My seasonal fall treat is hot apple cider with a bit of rum at night

Mmm, sounds lovely.:)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #472 on: October 23, 2016, 04:04:32 PM »
I wanted coffee at Starbucks today but I resisted the urge; I had tea at home.

Me too!  But I was craving a chai latte; still have not made anything for myself since getting home!

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #473 on: October 25, 2016, 08:22:27 AM »
We were offered a 2011 Ford Escape luxury edition-type thing for 4,000$ from my BF's step-father (retail value is around 16,000$ minimum for the mileage). We decided that although we'd love the 4-wheel drive and the room for surfboards (they don't fit in our 2004 Hyundai Sonata), the bigger tires we'd have to buy, more expensive insurance, and more expensive maintenance were in no way worth the trouble.

Thanks, but no thanks!

Mr. Millennial Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #474 on: October 25, 2016, 12:59:12 PM »
Currently looking for a new motorcycle jacket (safety first).

Came across the perfect jacket, price was more than 4 figures, could never justify it.

Still on the hunt!

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #475 on: October 25, 2016, 01:59:27 PM »
Got an email from a blog I follow, with a link to a calendar re: one of my favorite authors of all time. I didn't buy the calendar. Was tempted though...

sjlp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #476 on: October 26, 2016, 12:16:38 PM »
We decided to invest in a pull-out couch to make better use of the guest room, plus maybe use it for AirBnb in the future. While secondhand might have been cheap, I don't know if it's the best for fabric and mattresses. I hunted for a long time for a good deal on a new couch and it finally arrived. At the store, they didn't have the one I wanted in stock, but they did have a bigger, nicer model...that was more than double the price. I did really like the nicer model, and was so close to getting upsold, but remembered this thread and my MMM training. I asked them to put in an order for the original couch (which is perfectly nice and meets my needs) and to honor the sale price, and they did. And, since it's coming from the warehouse, delivery was free!

Kapiira

• Stubble
« Reply #477 on: November 04, 2016, 03:31:09 PM »
I thought about buying breakfast because I was running late in the morning.  Instead, I grabbed some food I could eat in the car.  I saved money and got to work the same time as if I had stopped to pick up food.

keulmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • aiming to FIRE so I can join the circus full time
« Reply #478 on: November 04, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
Soda.....I'm on week 3 of giving up the horrible habit. I allow myself to drink it if I happen onto it for free, but I'm trying so so hard to quit wasting money on the stuff. Been cravin' one hard tonight though.

JT

• Stubble
« Reply #479 on: November 04, 2016, 11:12:19 PM »
The latest bible for Excel 2016!!  Might see if work can get it, since using excel to a high level is a requirement of the job.  But I'd love this book at home/on the train/on the spin bike etc etc to read in spare moments of curiosity and leisure.  Perhaps I could get it second hand, but then Excel 2017 might be out!!  Could try the library and just rebook it every month!  As you can see, this is a bit of a struggle for me.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #480 on: November 05, 2016, 05:38:25 AM »
Did not buy a "leaf rake" for our large yard.   Also decided to blow off leaves every other week instead of weekly this fall.   Saved $350 plus saves net 2 hours of my weekends now till Christmas when leaf drop hell ends...

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #481 on: November 05, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »
returned "woolite" dry cleaning sheets as tried one and didn't notice any difference, 10$ back in my wallet

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #482 on: November 05, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »
I did not buy a minifridge this weekend. I'll wait for one to show up for cheap on CL. (Its for culturing brewing yeast so I don't have to buy it. Should net me $200 a year)

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #483 on: November 05, 2016, 12:30:06 PM »
My wife's car trunk handle-latch thingy broke, and instead of just bringing it to a shop (buying ~$400 of labor on top of the parts), we bought the part for ~$30 and fixed it ourselves. There are online forums for pretty much any major make/model of car, and devoted people who write out instructions to fix common problems!

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #484 on: November 05, 2016, 04:23:36 PM »
My wife's car trunk handle-latch thingy broke, and instead of just bringing it to a shop (buying ~$400 of labor on top of the parts), we bought the part for ~$30 and fixed it ourselves. There are online forums for pretty much any major make/model of car, and devoted people who write out instructions to fix common problems!

I am not a car guy but I have been doing the same for years. First thing I do is to check online to see if there is a youtube video or instructions to figure out the problem. Then same thing to fix the issue. I saved a few $$$ by doing that. I must say, back in the day, Mercedes forums saved me a lot of money.

Recently, I gave up buying things. Moving forward the plan is to buy only necessities.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #485 on: November 06, 2016, 12:07:53 AM »
Went shopping to buy a dress I could wear to a funeral and to an upcoming awards function for work.

Sydney doesn't sell black dresses in November.

Oh well... I'll dig out something to wear. I didn't want to part with the money anyway.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #486 on: November 06, 2016, 08:47:24 AM »
A friend had organized a group of us to go to an exhibit at a museum. Admission 15.00 for adults. The city library has museum passes that can be checked out for library members (free membership, obvi).

I arrived at the library at 8:55am, for 9am opening as these passes are highly sought after. I got a pass! It's good for 2 adults and 2 kids free admission. So I got myself, my friend, and her kid in for no cost.

Love the public library system. :)

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #487 on: November 06, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
I'm taking the dog for a hike today, but his leash was partially chewed through, and wouldn't last if he was in a pulling mood.  I was going to stop and pick up a new leash, but didn't want to spend $15 on a new leash.  Instead, I cut the chewed part off, and tied it in a double knot as tightly as I could.  Good as new!*

*Obviously not really, but it'll hold. :-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #488 on: November 06, 2016, 07:15:43 PM »
Was watching a horse item on eBay.  At the 15 minute notice, I thought - "Oh, I'll come back and bid in 10 minutes."  Then wandered off and totally forgot about it.  Don't really need it right now, and a better deal will come along anyway.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #489 on: December 17, 2016, 02:24:33 PM »
Had our work Christmas lunch on Friday, enjoyed the free after-drinks until the work paid for tab run out, then left. I no longer want to pay for over priced drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #490 on: December 17, 2016, 03:48:28 PM »
I hate a senseless craving for chocolate today, but I didn't exercise or do anything even remotely worthy of earning it. I was at the grocery store, but I passed on it.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #491 on: December 18, 2016, 12:15:53 PM »
OK, just had a thought about this "not buying" thing.
Putting your mental energy into not-buying is just the inverse of putting it into buying.
You're still wrapped up in the consumer world of buying, just "through the opposite end of the telescope." If that makes sense.
Or, in another image: you're still pulling on the rope in this tug of war. 
Resistance is still a relationship. You're fighting but you haven't moved out.
What about just letting go of the rope? And ignoring the buying/not buying thing altogether?
Can it even be done in our commercialized world?
I guess that replacing the "not buying" question with things like, how far did you walk today, who did you talk to, what did you make, etc., means the space has been taken over by better things.
Just musing aloud here. "Not-buying" is still a very good thing though. 

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #492 on: December 19, 2016, 06:10:27 AM »
OK, just had a thought about this "not buying" thing.
Putting your mental energy into not-buying is just the inverse of putting it into buying.
You're still wrapped up in the consumer world of buying, just "through the opposite end of the telescope." If that makes sense.
Or, in another image: you're still pulling on the rope in this tug of war. 
Resistance is still a relationship. You're fighting but you haven't moved out.
What about just letting go of the rope? And ignoring the buying/not buying thing altogether?
Can it even be done in our commercialized world?
I guess that replacing the "not buying" question with things like, how far did you walk today, who did you talk to, what did you make, etc., means the space has been taken over by better things.
Just musing aloud here. "Not-buying" is still a very good thing though.

I agree with you 100%. You hit the nail on the head.   One of my problems.  I can do well for a while with a fight but when I falter, it is huge.  In 2017, I am planning on unsubscribing to retail emails, not visiting any blogs that just promote and review products, etc. etc.   I need to take my head completely out of the game, otherwise, it will forever be a struggle for me.  If I see something I always think I need it or just want it and it stays with me until I either buy it or realize I don't want it after all.  But, it takes too much energy. I need to start directing that energy elsewhere.

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #493 on: December 22, 2016, 01:44:59 PM »
Today is my 5th day in a row of not buying anything.

I've been tempted to buy a winter coat but I've been getting through our few colder days with a jacket on top of a hoodie. Committed to not buying anything else for the rest of the month.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #494 on: December 22, 2016, 02:14:38 PM »
I've been getting through our few colder days with a jacket on top of a hoodie.

Layers is where it's at!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #495 on: December 22, 2016, 02:18:18 PM »

I've been tempted to buy a winter coat but I've been getting through our few colder days with a jacket on top of a hoodie. Committed to not buying anything else for the rest of the month.

How much time do you actually spend outside?  We've had a few days of -10 and a couple where the windchill was -30, and I'm still just wearing a lightweight fleece, because I just go from the parking lot to the office.  A jacket isn't strictly necessary; adding a scarf and a hat was enough. (Though I do keep a blanket in the car.)

I'm hoping I can get through the rest of the winter (there will be a lot more of those well below zero days) as I have no interest in spending the money on a maternity coat and mine doesn't zip anymore.  Unfortunately DH has no old coats.

Woodro85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #496 on: December 22, 2016, 02:27:19 PM »
I updated the OS on my 2010 Macbook pro about 6 months ago and it has struggled ever since. Battery would last only half hour and the machine would run at blistering hot speeds, the fan going nonstop, and wasn't able to process more than one program or tab at a time. Did a little research online, deleted a file that runs icloud keychain last week, and my macbook is purring like a brand new one! Battery is back to lasting around 5 hours too. Apparently icloud keychain can cause a data leak. I already had a brand new macbook in the online checkout from the apple store so I saved myself $1800. YUGE win. And yes, I know macbooks aren't 'frugal' but if you buy cheap, you know what you got!

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #497 on: December 22, 2016, 02:34:33 PM »

How much time do you actually spend outside?  We've had a few days of -10 and a couple where the windchill was -30, and I'm still just wearing a lightweight fleece, because I just go from the parking lot to the office.  A jacket isn't strictly necessary; adding a scarf and a hat was enough. (Though I do keep a blanket in the car.)

I'm hoping I can get through the rest of the winter (there will be a lot more of those well below zero days) as I have no interest in spending the money on a maternity coat and mine doesn't zip anymore.  Unfortunately DH has no old coats.

Not too much! Maybe 20 minutes at a time usually. The other day 2 hours in -10. But I layer and wear a hat and gloves so I've been fine.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #498 on: December 22, 2016, 06:07:55 PM »
Christmas presents: I'm baking some today instead.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #499 on: December 22, 2016, 11:35:23 PM »
Christmas Vacation DVD. Watching a copy from the library.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!