Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 321205 times)

NoCreativity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #250 on: April 18, 2016, 12:38:01 PM »
Kids wanted to see the old movie, Barnyard. We don't own it. I was going to Walmart anyways so I looked for it there ... No luck. Came home and checked if our library has it ... Again, no luck. Then I checked online and there it was for FREE! Doh! Why don't I think of this first?! Anyways, happy dad and kids are now streaming it from my laptop onto the big tv with an hdmi cable. Yay for free movies!

where do you get free movie online?? There's a new streaming (pirating?) services called Cody a buddy has wanted me to download but I'm a little skiddish (spell check says that's not a word but I say it is) about it.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #251 on: April 18, 2016, 04:08:14 PM »
Kids wanted to see the old movie, Barnyard. We don't own it. I was going to Walmart anyways so I looked for it there ... No luck. Came home and checked if our library has it ... Again, no luck. Then I checked online and there it was for FREE! Doh! Why don't I think of this first?! Anyways, happy dad and kids are now streaming it from my laptop onto the big tv with an hdmi cable. Yay for free movies!

where do you get free movie online?? There's a new streaming (pirating?) services called Cody a buddy has wanted me to download but I'm a little skiddish (spell check says that's not a word but I say it is) about it.
Paramount has put a large chunk of their collection for free streaming in their YouTube channel, also if you google 'free documentaries' there's some sites that share them legally. I'm sure there's others also.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: April 20, 2016, 07:12:33 AM »
The Writer's Guild meeting last night was held in a coffee shop. I didn't buy anything.

ecomic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #253 on: April 20, 2016, 08:52:22 AM »
OIL... its back in the bad path...

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #254 on: April 20, 2016, 09:49:57 AM »
I have managed to NOT get the new released Spring Collection from Make Up Geek- 18 new eye shadows released.

Downside- I did order new dress pants- (the yoga ones) I have exactly 2 pairs of pants I can wear to work. And I"m starting to have foot problems which means lace up shoes. I absolutely REFUSE to wear lace up shoes with my many dresses/skirts. (Squat booty is a real problem with pants) soooooooooooooooo- I did order those.

BUT- no make up. And that is a thing!!!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #255 on: April 20, 2016, 10:38:14 AM »
I have been completely failing here.  Need to get back to willpower.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #256 on: April 20, 2016, 10:41:09 AM »
I have managed to NOT get the new released Spring Collection from Make Up Geek- 18 new eye shadows released.

Downside- I did order new dress pants- (the yoga ones) I have exactly 2 pairs of pants I can wear to work. And I"m starting to have foot problems which means lace up shoes. I absolutely REFUSE to wear lace up shoes with my many dresses/skirts. (Squat booty is a real problem with pants) soooooooooooooooo- I did order those.

Yes, no makeup, that is success.  I have been failing in both the makeup and skincare categories. I could kick myself.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #257 on: April 20, 2016, 10:45:55 AM »

Yes, no makeup, that is success.  I have been failing in both the makeup and skincare categories. I could kick myself.

I just ordered 40$ of Paula's Choice products to help with my KP  and redness on the back of my arms. Mild justifications but <shame> .

I'm returning the sephora foundation I just bought- I hate it. Worn it twice- two primers- and two applications and it's still doing weird things- so there's 20$ of impulse spending back in my pocket. FUCK YOU SEPHORA- I WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR RETURN POLICY!

no make up- it's such a thing.

BUT. I have a new win for the day.
I was totally out of tomatoes and I forgot to get them for my salad last night.... and I was going to go buy them at my cafe downstairs- but my coworker went out to get hoagies... I asked to see if he could pick up tomatoes on the side since he wanted no tomatoes.

FREE TOMATOES FOR ME!!!! and enough for today AND tomorrow's salad!!!

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSS

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #258 on: April 20, 2016, 10:47:57 AM »
Coffee in the AM
and lunch!
work-provided. Yum yum.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #259 on: April 20, 2016, 05:08:49 PM »
My shoes fell apart today. I have been wearing them for about two years at least three or four times a week. Much as I would like a new pair of black flats, I'm just going to make do with the other eight pairs of shoes I have (none of which are black AND flat). My goal is to not buy another pair of shoes until I wear out at least two other pairs of shoes.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #260 on: April 20, 2016, 07:16:41 PM »
Yesterday, actually. We went to Ikea to pick up some wedding essentials (it was the cheapest place to get components for some of our DIY stuff), and I DIDN'T buy the many beautiful and functional things I wanted for my home. We did however spend 5 minutes sitting on the bar stools we're thinking about getting, for the second time, so when we do buy them down the road it'll be a well-researched decision. Plus we just needed the rest ;-)

Ottoford

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #261 on: April 21, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »
I almost bought my Mom a Mother's Day card from the cat for $2.79.  I'll text a picture for free instead.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2016, 11:38:44 PM »
We are on holiday and we're going to catch a cab from where we were to the hotel when I looked at the map and realised the hotel was only 10 blocks away so we walked.

Also we had a natural lemonade for $2 each, 1/3 of the way back to the hotel my DH stopped at pharmacy to get vitamins, I was still thirsty but resisted the urge to buy a water and instead kept the leftover ice in my lemonade glass and sipped slowly while it melted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: April 22, 2016, 08:30:44 AM »
I did buy the new Amon Amarth cd. No regrets. What I DIDN'T buy: shirts, hoodies, flag, pins.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #264 on: April 24, 2016, 05:48:01 AM »
I did not buy drainage tile pipe - found a couple of pieces that were long enough used together.  One piece was missing the filter cloth so I wrapped it in some leftover pieces of weed barrier that a neighbour gave me two summers ago.  Another neighbour is building an addition and has a ton of extra gravel/rocks from the foundation excavation so my son and I sifted it and hauled it over to our place.  Reused some concrete block that another neighbour was going to throw out to raise and level the rain barrels without totally blocking the overland flow away from the house.  I was searching on how to fix the drainage problem and could have bought a $250.00 downspout/rain garden molded plastic thing but I made my own with free stuff scavenged. 

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #265 on: April 24, 2016, 09:46:36 AM »
I did not drive to the bulk food store and buy the long shredded coconut that I prefer with my morning breakfast. 

My roommate had bought very short shredded coconut, but when I go to drain the water from my muesli, all those little bits of coconut escape down the sink drain!  I thought to go buy the 'right' kind of coconut, but then realized I could hold my metal sieve over the bowl and nothing would escape - not a single chia seed or hemp heart or shred of coconut.  This is awesome, as I lose some each morning, and these are expensive things to lose down the drain.
So not buying the coconut also saved me chia seeds and hemp hearts in the long run.

zelavie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #266 on: April 24, 2016, 05:54:53 PM »

I just ordered 40$ of Paula's Choice products to help with my KP  and redness on the back of my arms.

Oooh - do you know a product that works on KP on arms??  I've been trying to find something for years!

My personal victory for the day was a walk to the grocery store.  Doesn't sound big, but I'm really new to the Mustachian way of life.  I live about a mile from the store and this is the first time in the 6 months I've lived here that I chose to walk instead of drive.  As an added bonus, since I had to walk the groceries back home, I was limited to exactly what was on my list.  No room for extras!  So I saved a nominal amount of gas and probably $5-10 on potential impulse buys and gained the knowledge that this is a REALLY quick and easy walk that I should do a couple times a week.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #267 on: April 24, 2016, 06:06:17 PM »
....  Doesn't sound big, but I'm really new to the Mustachian way of life.  I live about a mile from the store and this is the first time in the 6 months I've lived here that I chose to walk instead of drive. 

Sounds like a big deal to me, and a personal victory is always sweet! 

cyndre4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #268 on: April 25, 2016, 07:25:34 AM »
I was on a family vacation in Costa Rica. I'd decided I wanted a new cutting board made out of local wood. It was hard to find one I liked, and when I finally did, it was $40! My mom has been really supportive of my new mustachian ways. She suggested I just sand my old cutting board, which will fix my only complaint about it, that years of use have dulled the wood. Done, and $40 saved!

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #269 on: April 25, 2016, 07:59:09 AM »
I was on a family vacation in Costa Rica. I'd decided I wanted a new cutting board made out of local wood. It was hard to find one I liked, and when I finally did, it was $40! My mom has been really supportive of my new mustachian ways. She suggested I just sand my old cutting board, which will fix my only complaint about it, that years of use have dulled the wood. Done, and $40 saved!

Can you come back and tell us how that sanding of the cutting board goes?  I am curious is it will be smooth enough to seem "new" - I'd love to know how it works out!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #270 on: April 25, 2016, 08:19:48 AM »

Can you come back and tell us how that sanding of the cutting board goes?  I am curious is it will be smooth enough to seem "new" - I'd love to know how it works out!

+1 please update! I have a very thick cutting board, which while still good for now, I know will eventually get quite worn at the rate we use it.

cyndre4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #271 on: April 25, 2016, 08:56:48 AM »
Sure! I'm planning on doing it this week with an orbital sander. This is one of those cutting boards made up of 10+ strips of different woods. I'll try to post before and after pictures. Thanks for the encouragement!

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #272 on: April 26, 2016, 08:14:29 AM »

I just ordered 40$ of Paula's Choice products to help with my KP  and redness on the back of my arms.

Oooh - do you know a product that works on KP on arms??  I've been trying to find something for years!

My personal victory for the day was a walk to the grocery store.  Doesn't sound big, but I'm really new to the Mustachian way of life.  I live about a mile from the store and this is the first time in the 6 months I've lived here that I chose to walk instead of drive.  As an added bonus, since I had to walk the groceries back home, I was limited to exactly what was on my list.  No room for extras!  So I saved a nominal amount of gas and probably $5-10 on potential impulse buys and gained the knowledge that this is a REALLY quick and easy walk that I should do a couple times a week.

A bunch of people SWEAR by the Paula's choice stuff I got- I can't remember the name- it has a low percentage of whatever acid stuff goes into KP reducing products.

Ultimately there is FIX- it just reduces it- it seems to be working- I've been using it ever other day. (I had a link that gave you 20% off- so it was like 12 bucks- it's normally 27- I only spent so much b/c I got another product (higher end face sunblock) b/c I have weird face/skin issues and I"m trying REALLY hard to even my patchy skin out- and sun just makes it worse.

Just looked- it's the Resist Weightless body treatment lotion- 2%BHA- I feel like it's a BIT better- I have redness on my arms- and MASSIVE bump issues on my legs- inside the knee and back of the thigh. I'm such a picker that it's a real problem for me- if I could leave them alone it wouldn't be an issue.
But the redness on my arms seems to be reduced- so - for 12$ a bottle- I'll take it.

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #273 on: April 26, 2016, 02:24:56 PM »
Food cravings are the most difficult for me to resist. Today I found some willpower; I wanted some Chinese food but I had plenty (I mean so much) food at home that it would've been ridiculous to order. I napped on it, made some fish, ate some bread, drank some tea, and saved $15 :)

This^ is the everyday struggle. But I'm getting better at it. It's so hard to resist even reasonably priced meals/foods but necessary when there's plenty at home.

I wanted a chocolate chip cookie from starbucks and a small (tall) coffee today but I resisted. This used to be a 5 days per week habit :0

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #274 on: April 26, 2016, 02:30:11 PM »
Thought about stopping at Starbuck's or Dutch Brother's for an iced mocha on the way home from my half marathon.  Remembered I had chocolate icecream at home, so made a small cup of strong coffee and blended it with the icecream for a much more decadent beverage than whatever I would have spent $5 for at the coffee shop.

This is awesome.

weetziebat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #275 on: April 26, 2016, 05:44:20 PM »
Lunch. I brought lunch to work as usual today, but it was the same as yesterday and I was sorely temped to go out and buy my favorite lunch from a place near my office. I resisted! And enjoyed my home-cooked lunch, saving myself about $10. Only a couple of weeks ago I would have bought lunch without even thinking about it.

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #276 on: April 26, 2016, 06:36:52 PM »
Lunch. I brought lunch to work as usual today, but it was the same as yesterday and I was sorely temped to go out and buy my favorite lunch from a place near my office. I resisted! And enjoyed my home-cooked lunch, saving myself about $10. Only a couple of weeks ago I would have bought lunch without even thinking about it.

Good for you weetziebat. It's so hard to have self-control when it comes to food especially when you sacrifice variety for savings.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #277 on: April 27, 2016, 09:22:13 AM »
Did not pay the $5 drop in to go into the gym with my friend.  Had taken a break from our regular gym routine while having flu, then changed my floozy ways with money four days ago, so forgot this morning when it was gym time! 

But I just said, I'll walk by the river while you go in and workout.  Our chat time is on the way there, so still got my social connection, without the $5.  Birds, deer on the path, ducks on the river - all free!

Used the playground equipment for modified push ups, etc. Was fun!

Will totally rethink the gym thing in general

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: April 27, 2016, 09:37:35 AM »
Delicious sushi. I wanted to. It was right there in the grocery store, calling my name. But I persevered, bought my ham and chicken stock, went home, and made split pea soup that will last me for multiple meals.

I also didn't buy donuts or cookies. I told myself I had ice cream and Doctor Pepper at home.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #279 on: April 27, 2016, 10:49:30 AM »
Delicious sushi. I wanted to. It was right there in the grocery store, calling my name. But I persevered, bought my ham and chicken stock, went home, and made split pea soup that will last me for multiple meals.

I also didn't buy donuts or cookies. I told myself I had ice cream and Doctor Pepper at home.

split pea soup, yum!

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: April 27, 2016, 10:53:39 AM »
Oh, I make gooooooooooood soup. My Daddy comes from the Northern Hinterlands (Boston) where it is cold and snowy. He passed on the family recipes. Of course, I live in South Carolina....

Jojje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #281 on: April 27, 2016, 02:47:04 PM »
Car insurance for about €900. Got an invoice for renewal and called the insurance company to explain that we sold our car so there is no need. :)

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #282 on: April 27, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »
Did not pay the $5 drop in to go into the gym with my friend.  Had taken a break from our regular gym routine while having flu, then changed my floozy ways with money four days ago, so forgot this morning when it was gym time! 

But I just said, I'll walk by the river while you go in and workout.  Our chat time is on the way there, so still got my social connection, without the $5.  Birds, deer on the path, ducks on the river - all free!

Used the playground equipment for modified push ups, etc. Was fun!

Will totally rethink the gym thing in general

That sounds awesome. Nature and an outdoor workout anyday over a gym.

carolina822

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #283 on: April 27, 2016, 09:24:06 PM »
I bought nothing at all today. Not even a 74 cent Diet Coke on the way to work. Probably should have gotten has since I'm running on fumes. Put my Y membership on hold too - will reassess whether it's worth it in a few months. It sure isn't right now because I suck at the gym these days. Switched from weight watchers to myfitnesspal too, so that's 130 bucks a month freed up from the cancellations. Neither of which I was even doing right.

Gagnante

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #284 on: April 27, 2016, 10:04:59 PM »

A bunch of people SWEAR by the Paula's choice stuff I got- I can't remember the name- it has a low percentage of whatever acid stuff goes into KP reducing products.

Ultimately there is FIX- it just reduces it- it seems to be working- I've been using it ever other day. (I had a link that gave you 20% off- so it was like 12 bucks- it's normally 27- I only spent so much b/c I got another product (higher end face sunblock) b/c I have weird face/skin issues and I"m trying REALLY hard to even my patchy skin out- and sun just makes it worse.

Just looked- it's the Resist Weightless body treatment lotion- 2%BHA- I feel like it's a BIT better- I have redness on my arms- and MASSIVE bump issues on my legs- inside the knee and back of the thigh. I'm such a picker that it's a real problem for me- if I could leave them alone it wouldn't be an issue.
But the redness on my arms seems to be reduced- so - for 12$ a bottle- I'll take it.

I hate to be *that* person, but I hope that both of you will consider or have considered the role of diet in your skin issues.  People like to treat the skin as its own entity, when in fact it's our largest excretory organ.  When we take in foods that aren't well tolerated by our digestive systems, and parts of those foods traverse into our blood vessels, the consequences can be evidenced by odd dry patches, rashes, and itchy spots that aren't otherwise explained.

Grains, dairy, nuts, improperly cooked legumes and vegetable/seed oils seem to be the biggest culprits.  It's pretty simple to see if these foods are at issue: simply cut them out for a couple of weeks, and see if your issues appear to improve. If so, continue...if not, forget I said anything :)

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #285 on: April 27, 2016, 10:05:47 PM »
I bought nothing at all today. Not even a 74 cent Diet Coke on the way to work. Probably should have gotten has since I'm running on fumes. Put my Y membership on hold too - will reassess whether it's worth it in a few months. It sure isn't right now because I suck at the gym these days. Switched from weight watchers to myfitnesspal too, so that's 130 bucks a month freed up from the cancellations. Neither of which I was even doing right.

Yay for buy nothing days!! 

hollis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #286 on: April 28, 2016, 06:03:54 PM »
Resisted the trip to Wendy's after work.  I was really wanting some ghost pepper fries but I didn't.  Made food at home.  A $0 day for me!

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #287 on: April 28, 2016, 07:38:54 PM »
Didn't buy coffee or a cookie. Man and I wanted chicken cutlets tonight but I had rice, beans, pasta, and sweet potatoes at home. Day 4 this week $0 spent.

sun and sand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #288 on: April 28, 2016, 08:24:08 PM »
Have not bought breakfast sandwich and coffee from Tim Horton's for two days.  Make coffee at work and bring some fruit.
Timmy's was a morning habit.  How silly was I?

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #289 on: April 29, 2016, 05:55:18 AM »
Yesterday and today I knew I was going to take up my lunch hour with non-lunch activities so I was going to run by the grocery store to pick up a sub from the deli and eat half each day (my usual cheap lunch go-to since it comes out to $3.75 each day). Instead I brought leftovers from home, $0, and resisted any impulse purchases.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #290 on: April 29, 2016, 06:15:17 AM »
Have not bought breakfast sandwich and coffee from Tim Horton's for two days.  Make coffee at work and bring some fruit.
Timmy's was a morning habit.  How silly was I?

Yeah, one week into thinking this way and I can't believe the way I was spending at coffee shops.  And Timmy's is relatively cheap!  So, congrats on resisting the lure of Tim.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: April 29, 2016, 10:51:55 AM »
I'm not buying groceries today, and will instead use the food I already have in the fridge. Nom nom nom.

However, I did buy more USIBX and put some into my Roth IRA, both with USAA. :)

nr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #292 on: May 02, 2016, 07:56:52 AM »
Skipped the deli breakfast sandwich....now making an egg, guacamole & salsa taco.

Guacamole, salsa & taco shell left over from Saturday night guest hosting.  Eggs standard inventory.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #293 on: May 02, 2016, 08:23:23 AM »
Did not buy a new digital camera, was tempted, but sanity won.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #294 on: May 02, 2016, 08:27:48 AM »
I am NOT going to buy any sort of fancy herb drying rack. Turns out, I can spread my mint (or thyme) across our ikea clothes drying rack and it works quite well so far. Just need to wipe it down in between!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #295 on: May 02, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »
I am NOT going to buy any sort of fancy herb drying rack. Turns out, I can spread my mint (or thyme) across our ikea clothes drying rack and it works quite well so far. Just need to wipe it down in between!

Not sure the kind of clothes drying rack you have, I have one that has dowels, I lay a cheese cloth across the dowels (like a hammock) then use clothes pins hold it taut. that way small pieces of herb are safe. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: May 02, 2016, 12:59:36 PM »

Not sure the kind of clothes drying rack you have, I have one that has dowels, I lay a cheese cloth across the dowels (like a hammock) then use clothes pins hold it taut. that way small pieces of herb are safe.

Great idea! For today, my mint stems are quite large, so I'm having no trouble laying them across. But that is good to remember if any of my other herbs ever grow. Sigh.

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #297 on: May 03, 2016, 09:58:15 AM »
Did not buy lunch this Sunday. Went out with everyone but just talked while they enjoyed their meal!

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #298 on: May 03, 2016, 06:30:44 PM »
cacao nibs - and had a great conversation with DD about why waiting is good!

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #299 on: May 03, 2016, 08:07:01 PM »
did not buy lunch or spend money because at lunch I went to the gym, so I had no time to spend $