Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 181649 times)

Tuskalusa

• Stubble
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #650 on: March 27, 2018, 09:26:03 PM »
I didnít buy muffins today, tempting as they were in the grocery store. Went home and made a batch instead. 😀

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #651 on: March 27, 2018, 09:39:38 PM »
Not buying chocolate / treats even though I really want to. I am making protein balls with cocoa, which will satisfy the urge without doing as much damage to my health or wallet.

FreshPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #652 on: March 28, 2018, 04:52:34 AM »
I have not bought a pair of Adidas break-away pants that have been sitting in my Amazon shopping cart for weeks now.  Along with two new makeup brushes I've been lusting over.  The grand total for all three would be $32... but I'm trying to exercise restraint.

My birthday is in May.  I will include these on my list and send it to anyone interested :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:22:14 AM by FreshPrincess »

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #653 on: March 28, 2018, 06:09:39 AM »
Saw a deal on a chromebook for $100. Didn't buy

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #654 on: March 28, 2018, 07:59:19 AM »
I didn't buy dinner out, even though juggling the kids, activities, & work while my husband travels is starting to wear on me. Instead, i had tortilla chips & a piece of chocolate for dinner, while I made the kids something else. I know, the healthy food police should facepunch me, but I survived for another day.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #655 on: March 28, 2018, 08:14:02 AM »
I did not buy a new dryer when I realized mine was no longer tumbling. I ordered a new belt, which should arrive tomorrow. In the meantime, I will study some youtube videos on dryer repair.

I also avoided buying a nicer camper in order to get a bathroom. Instead, I ordered a seat to place on a bucket to take in the old, raggedy camper we already have. Total cost: under $10.

I technically bought something in both of these scenarios, so I'm not sure if that disqualifies me.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #656 on: March 28, 2018, 08:21:10 PM »
 I did not buy a massage. Kind of regretting it now, as everything hurts too much to sleep, but there's no guarantee a massage would've solved that problem.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #657 on: March 28, 2018, 08:50:22 PM »
I did not buy a new dryer when I realized mine was no longer tumbling. I ordered a new belt, which should arrive tomorrow. In the meantime, I will study some youtube videos on dryer repair.

I also avoided buying a nicer camper in order to get a bathroom. Instead, I ordered a seat to place on a bucket to take in the old, raggedy camper we already have. Total cost: under $10.

I technically bought something in both of these scenarios, so I'm not sure if that disqualifies me.

Iíd claim it, you saved a fortune on the camper

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #658 on: March 29, 2018, 03:07:03 AM »
I didn't go to the supermarket while I was starving (would've definitely bought too much). I actually wanted to go when passing by but apparently this one closes at 8 pm. Lucky me for getting there at 8.05.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #659 on: March 29, 2018, 07:23:08 AM »
That beautiful, cobalt blue planting pot I saw on sale at the Tuesday Morning store. It would have looked so good next to the entrance door - alas, I do have a perfectly nice pot that I can use. Oh man - it sux to be mustachian - I want that pretty pot!
Well, the flowers will look just as good in the pot I already own, it is a nice pot - so get over yourself and curb your impulse spending.

Drowning my sorrows, eh, I mean, I'll celebrate my victory with a glass of wine this afternoon - after I replanted my old pot with spring flowers!:)

lowiyawa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #660 on: March 30, 2018, 04:07:01 AM »
i would imagine i have bought that stuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #661 on: April 07, 2018, 01:03:37 PM »
A new pair of nike tennies that were in the Eastbay catalog!!

Hula Hoop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #662 on: April 07, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »
A robot vacuum cleaner.  I was vaguely thinking about it but then my friend told me that she was given one and it gets stuck all the time and can't cope with kids' stuff on the floors.  Just saved 200 euros.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #663 on: April 09, 2018, 07:57:47 AM »
Did not buy a cappuccino.

BookLoverL

• Stubble
« Reply #664 on: April 30, 2018, 08:52:03 AM »
I walked an hour each way to the library to switch my books out, thereby avoiding buying car fuel from the journey, all while getting some exercise. And then once I was in town, I resisted entering the secondhand bookshop, wherein I would have undoubtedly bought one or two books, and so saved money there.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #665 on: April 30, 2018, 09:38:32 AM »
Went out for dinner on the weekend (boo spending money), but did not get a milkshake like I wanted. It was 5.99. I could make one at home if I really wanted, and once I got home the craving passed.

(Impt to note, I'm 38.5 weeks pregnant...this was quite the mental struggle to NOT get the milkshake)

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #666 on: April 30, 2018, 05:16:02 PM »
Breakfast, or lunch. Forgot bag on counter at home, at granola bar from deak. washed it down with my favorite coffee from the pot on my desk.

Great day all in all.

Hula Hoop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #667 on: June 08, 2018, 02:03:21 PM »
Did not have time to make lunch this morning as I usually do.  At work, I looked in the communal fridge and realized that I had a tiny amount of cream cheese left over from yesterday's lunch and some sun dried tomatoes that I got at the deli counter- so I went to the grocery store near work and bought just a bread roll for 30 cents.  Came back to the office and had a yummy sun dried tomato and cream cheese sandwich for lunch washed down with some OJ from the fridge and some yoghurt and nuts that I had in the office.

nkt0

• Stubble
« Reply #668 on: June 08, 2018, 02:06:13 PM »
Lunch. Our company buys it on Fridays. ;)

Wings5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #669 on: June 09, 2018, 06:36:49 PM »
Wine.

I'm curious. When I forgo these things, I usually make it a point to contribute the same amount to an investment account. I call it the Financial Pick Six.

Does anyone else do anything like this? I figure if small splurges add up, so do small investments. Sort of like the latte factor, but random.

nkt0

• Stubble
« Reply #670 on: June 09, 2018, 09:30:41 PM »
Does anyone else do anything like this? I figure if small splurges add up, so do small investments. Sort of like the latte factor, but random.

I do something similar. Any small windfalls go toward savings. For example, I discovered an error on my grocery bill and received a $50 gift card from the store manager. I immediately put $50 into savings.

OtherJen

• Bristles
« Reply #671 on: June 09, 2018, 10:50:35 PM »
A movie that we really wanted to see. We borrowed it from the library instead.

EngineeringFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #672 on: June 10, 2018, 11:10:03 AM »
New headphones. The ear pads on my current pair (5 years old) are falling apart and leaving little black pieces around my ear when I wear them. I found a kit on amazon for $17 to replace the ear pads, way cheaper than a new pair!

ProxyRetired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #673 on: June 14, 2018, 07:24:19 PM »
Lunch.

WFH a couple days a week. Family went out for a play date with friends, so I was all alone.

Wanted to go to subway. Got in my car, backed of driveway, had a flash of MMM staring at me... so I pulled back in and make a sandwich myself.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #674 on: June 15, 2018, 03:24:18 PM »
A really gorgeous bikini. So 90 euros saved, but I have a hard time getting it out of my head :(

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #675 on: June 15, 2018, 07:50:33 PM »
I picked up a book at the Little Free Library outside the YMCA when I was picking up my son from camp. While signing him out, a staffer asked if I wanted a weekend lunch bag, and I said sure, thinking it was a leftover sack lunch from their field trip today. She instead handed me a grocery sack full of single serve cereals, shelf stable milk, juice boxes, breakfast bars, cans of soup, fruit snacks, crackers and more. There must have been over 25 things in that bag. They will make perfect pool snacks, since we bought a discounted membership to the community pool that allows patrons to bring in food.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #676 on: June 17, 2018, 06:10:51 AM »
Had 2 friends coming over so we could go to lunch together. Invited them in instead of meeting them in the carpark and had a cup of coffee, carrot sticks and dip and fresh from the oven blueberry muffins before we went, so Hubby and I split a plate of $8 wedges rather than having a $15 burger each.