Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 131282 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #550 on: January 30, 2017, 11:44:50 PM »
Chocolate, because my awesome manager worked out ahead of time that I'd want chocolate after completing an arduous (but enjoyable and fulfilling!) work task and put chocolate on my desk for me :D

Working ain't all bad, y'know.

Sailor Sam

• Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #551 on: January 31, 2017, 12:07:56 AM »
McDonalds. It sounded so tasty.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #552 on: January 31, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
New couches. Ours are only 7 years old and still in great condition. We are renovating and they didn't match the wall color and theme so my SO wanted to buy new ones. I thought it was ridiculous. We compromised and will be getting some new pillows for them and a rug to tie the colors together.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #553 on: February 05, 2017, 08:51:25 AM »
Meat. We have too much in our freezer already, and because we're eating more vegan meals these days, it will last even longer. So no new meat of the types we have frozen. Going forward, I'll have to retrain myself not to stock up when it is on sale. That will leave more room in the freezer for nice homemade veggie dishes.

lizh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #554 on: February 05, 2017, 10:04:19 AM »
I went to BedBathBeyond to get exchange cannisters for my soda stream and was tempted by so many things! New sheets were on sale (but it can wait) a towel that is supposed to dry your hair really well so that you don't need to use the blow dryer as long (oh well, my hair can take it) new pots and pans!  new towels! new! new! new!
I walked out with only what I came for.
phew!

FrugalFarmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #555 on: February 05, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »
A new smartphone.  Mine stopped working yesterday, out of the blue.  Rather than rushing out to the store to purchase a brand new one at full price, I posted a notice on Facebook asking if any friends had an old phone lying around that I could borrow for a couple weeks.  Someone did!  Knowing that I have a little more time to pursue a better option, I then found a local electronics repair shop.  The closest repair shop is located in another city, but DH was about to pass through that city anyway on his way to a party.  So, I asked DH to drop the phone off at the repair shop on his way.  If the old phone can't be fixed, I'll be able to keep the loaner phone long enough to order a suitable used phone from ebay.  Saved:  the exorbitant cost of the plastic wrapping on a brand new phone, mileage to drive to another city, my free time this afternoon- which I can now use to work on the awesome chicken coop and bee hive I've been building from scratch. 

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #556 on: February 05, 2017, 12:33:02 PM »
Acrylic drawers for my cosmetics that cost 150.  do people really pay that much for plastic.  Gee whiz.

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #557 on: February 06, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »
I was at the bakery outlet buying bread today... and I didn't buy any of the coffee cakes/cinnamon roll-type treats that they have there.
"As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky." -Thomas Edison

My Log | Take surveys as a side-hustle! Use my referral link

DrMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #558 on: February 06, 2017, 06:26:03 PM »
Today I did NOT buy a new dryer! My DH (who is awesome, by the way) watched a youtube video about fixing what turned out to be a broken fuse. $8 later, all is well!

Also, perhaps equally impressive, I did not buy girl scout cookies!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #559 on: February 06, 2017, 07:21:17 PM »
Posted in the Frugal February thread too:  Did not buy a horse trailer today. Actually rather disappointed as the very specific trailer I want came up used in Wisconsin for a great price. Called this morning and they already had a likely buyer, but also would not ship a used trailer without the buyer physically going to see it first, which is not a possibility right now.  Too bad, because I could have sold my current trailer for a bit more than this one was listed for, and gotten an upgrade in both age and features.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #560 on: February 07, 2017, 05:44:34 AM »
In 2017, I am planning on unsubscribing to retail emails, not visiting any blogs that just promote and review products, etc. etc.   I need to take my head completely out of the game, otherwise, it will forever be a struggle for me.  If I see something I always think I need it or just want it and it stays with me until I either buy it or realize I don't want it after all. 
This helps a HUGE deal.  I cut cable (aprx 10 yrs ago), don't read fashion/decor magazines and only subscribe to a select group of retail emails (which I generally don't open unless I am heading to that store anyways).  I'm out of the loop when it comes to the latest and greatest products but my current things all work just fine and it removes that constant repetition of "you need this! your life will be better with this!  save money by spending money on this!".
Agreed- it's crazy to think about it, but by not looking at coupons I find myself buying less stuff. It's like the coupon has this unholy ability to make me think "I need to buy that! It's a good deal!" without ever stopping to think if I really need that item.
I avoid retail affinity programs like the plague, because I believe they make you spend more in the long run. So, no target red card, no cartwheel, no DSW whatever it's called. Boy, are they pushy about theirs.

On road trips, I look at DH's and my phones and unsubscribe to everything I can. DH does a lot of internet searches on his phone, so he gets loads of junk mail. It multiplies like rabbits if left unchecked. Great way to pass an hour or so on a long trip. Of course, I'm not driving.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #561 on: April 25, 2017, 10:24:16 PM »
I did not $30 of bicycle accessories because I realized I already have a stroller accessory (curb shopped no less!) that does the same thing.

Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #562 on: April 28, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »
I've got an old Nikon D60 which works well but is seriously showing its age, especially in indoor lighting or with fast moving subjects.  I've been thinking about upgrading on and off for a while now (specifically to a more compact mirrorless, and something that can do adequate video as well) but its hard to justify the expense of a dslr/mirrorless when you already have something that is okay.

Almost pulled the trigger on a Sony a6000 because bestbuy is providing a $100 credit on a compatible lens, and will also let you apply that discount to open-box lenses.

I still might but I'll think about it for another few days.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #563 on: April 28, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
I didn't go grocery shopping.  Even though I was 'supposed' to go 10 days ago.  We're just eating down our stored up food instead. 
Frugalite in training.

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #564 on: April 30, 2017, 08:36:29 PM »
We're just eating down our stored up food instead.

This is my goal for the week- we have a ton of stored up food that we've made/frozen two months ago.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #565 on: April 30, 2017, 09:05:58 PM »
Didn't give into temptation to buy a rotisserie chicken on Friday. Didn't order delivery today. I'm getting sick of my own cooking and it's getting harder and harder to resist...
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

pianomom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #566 on: June 19, 2017, 04:50:40 PM »
I didn't buy a haircut. I've cut my kids and husband's hair for a decade, but have never been brave enough to try to cut my own long hair. Thankfully my hair is long right now and forgiving. I followed tutorials on YouTube and put it in a high ponytail close to my forehead and cut off some of the length. I don't think I cut off enough to cut the back of my hair, and I still had to do some minor touchups, but I'm pretty proud of myself. I might be more daring next time and cut more off.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #567 on: June 20, 2017, 04:33:39 AM »
Yesterday we did not buy a brake line for a backhoe because we can't find one to fit. Sigh.

rmp451

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #568 on: June 20, 2017, 10:03:13 PM »
Planned on taking my dad on a trout fishing trip two hours from home. This was for Father's Day. Dad said it was a stupid idea and that we could have just as fun of a time trout fishing around home. He was right. Got to fish some new streams, caught dinner, and had a great time. Probably saved over a 100 dollars in gas and out-of-state licenses.

justaguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #569 on: July 01, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »
Took the children to the pool today – resisted the puppy dog eyes and the numerous ‘pretty please’ request to buy candy and ice cream at the snack booth. 

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #570 on: July 11, 2017, 08:27:29 PM »
Ice tea, we went biking to grocery store in 30 Celsius and were considering grabbing ice tea , but we didn't buy it.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #571 on: July 12, 2017, 10:19:26 PM »
Jewelry - lots of jewelry. I went and looked at what I already own, which helped and I deleted all the items in my cart. Damage control aka MMM is working, I only purchased one item during gem week (on sale), pmt will come out of my discretionary budget for this month, so it will not derail my savings or other budget items.

Sailor Sam

• Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #572 on: July 12, 2017, 10:33:47 PM »
A pepper mill.

Brother Esau

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #573 on: July 13, 2017, 10:34:43 AM »
Insect repellant. Usually buy about $30 - $40 of the stuff each summer. I don't seem to be having a problem with the little critters.

Lauran75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #574 on: July 13, 2017, 01:08:43 PM »
Chocolate. Did not buy chocolate. Will not buy chocolate.

scrunchythief

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #575 on: July 13, 2017, 02:35:08 PM »
Anything at the local artisans'/artists' festival.  Specifically a leaves shaped fountain. 

JoJo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #576 on: July 21, 2017, 08:33:12 PM »
The $13,400 antarctic cruise I called to book was sold out (the cabin I wanted anyways), sold out in 1 day.

CheapScholar

• Bristles
« Reply #577 on: July 21, 2017, 09:26:52 PM »
The $13,400 antarctic cruise I called to book was sold out (the cabin I wanted anyways), sold out in 1 day.

Damn.  And I thought I was a spendypants cruising Alaska every few years...

Sailor Sam

• Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #578 on: July 21, 2017, 09:47:11 PM »
A restaurant meal. Yay!

TartanTallulah

• Bristles
« Reply #579 on: July 23, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »
Lunch at a restaurant during a bike ride. This wasn't primarily to save money or dodge calories, it was because it was forecast to rain later and we wanted to get home before getting drenched.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #580 on: July 24, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »
Yesterday we went to see a Spider Man matinee, and the theater was freezing.  I decided I'd go get a small black coffee.  Wife requested that I get her "something salty, but not popcorn".  I get to concessions and the coffee machine is down, and the pretzels were sold out.  Rather than picking out some other snack, I just said never mind.  Almost spent an extra $8-$9, but fate decided I should save it!
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” - Dalai Lama

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #581 on: July 25, 2017, 11:22:27 AM »
Did not buy lunch at work today. I've been so, so bad about bringing my lunch lately. Trying to get back on the wagon.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #582 on: July 25, 2017, 12:53:11 PM »
I did not buy macarons at the bakery I pass all the time.  I also did not even step into the West Elm when I saw the sale sign.  I'm feeling "blah" about my decor right now (SUCH A STUPID PROBLEM!) but I know if I go into a store to "look for inspiration" I'll end up buying something.  It's better for me to browse websites/Pinterest and see how I can repurpose or rearrange what I have.
I'm late to the game but I'm trying to be quick to pick up how to play!!

Britan

• Stubble
« Reply #583 on: July 27, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »
I've got a really great one this week. I have very demanding feet (post-double-bunionectomy) and on the rare occasion that I do buy shoes, I usually shell out >$100 for shoes that are a) comfortable and b) high quality enough to last the 5-7 years I put them through.

I've been 100% out of professional flats (literal gaping holes in my last pair) and wearing sneakers to work, but really needed some "nice" shoes for the occasions I go to weddings, see clients, etc. I was about to buy a $125 pair of black leather flats that met my criteria... and then my MIL unexpectedly donated an old pair of her Dansko flats to me since they don't fit her anymore! $125-$150 saved and I won't need new shoes for another several years!
One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing;
    another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #584 on: July 27, 2017, 02:31:05 PM »
I've got a really great one this week. I have very demanding feet (post-double-bunionectomy) and on the rare occasion that I do buy shoes, I usually shell out >$100 for shoes that are a) comfortable and b) high quality enough to last the 5-7 years I put them through.

I've been 100% out of professional flats (literal gaping holes in my last pair) and wearing sneakers to work, but really needed some "nice" shoes for the occasions I go to weddings, see clients, etc. I was about to buy a $125 pair of black leather flats that met my criteria... and then my MIL unexpectedly donated an old pair of her Dansko flats to me since they don't fit her anymore! $125-$150 saved and I won't need new shoes for another several years!
Mind if I ask where you usually shop? I had a bunionectomy on my left foot, and now it's just so difficult to find shoes that fit (because my feet are different sizes and shapes now) and are comfortable (because I have screws in the top foot that don't like to be touched) and work appropriate/not fugly.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #585 on: July 27, 2017, 02:57:03 PM »

Mind if I ask where you usually shop? I had a bunionectomy on my left foot, and now it's just so difficult to find shoes that fit (because my feet are different sizes and shapes now) and are comfortable (because I have screws in the top foot that don't like to be touched) and work appropriate/not fugly.

A friend from work found that Clarks worked well for her. She also has screws on the top of her feet.

Britan

• Stubble
« Reply #586 on: July 28, 2017, 06:42:16 AM »
Well, I haven't really shopped for shoes since the surgery so I can't help much :p

The pair I just got are Dansko. I heard good things about them from others with food problems.

My "tennis shoes" are from On Running. I don't really run so I can't speak to their running goodness but they have room for my feet so they feel comfy to wear at work.
One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing;
    another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth.

Bones

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #587 on: August 01, 2017, 11:37:05 PM »
I did not buy new climbing shoes or a new climbing rope, even though both of those are on their last legs and I will have to replace them eventually (if I want to pursue a passion that has given me immense joy in life), they don't need to be replaced and can be enjoyed as they are for hopefully the rest of the season.

snorrie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #588 on: August 03, 2017, 08:50:29 AM »
I needed some mustachian motivation again! I haven't been throwing my money out the window or anything, but haven't really been paying attention either. Case in point: I just discovered three boxes of couscous in my pantry. Bought on separate occasions, not as a deal. Ugh.

Today I did not buy groceries, yet again. Been postponing it for three days now, and instead I've been cooking/eating out of the pantry/fridge/freezer instead of going to the store for whatever I felt like eating that day.

Also: trying to cut spending since I will be moving soon and some costs will be involved.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #589 on: August 03, 2017, 11:00:33 AM »
I did not buy junk food.  This took a lot of will power.  I did buy some quick to prep, splurgey food to get me through what's going to be a rough couple days, but no chips or cookies.  I will be eating real meals, not just snacking.

ice_beard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #590 on: August 04, 2017, 09:03:04 AM »
I went on a MMM reading binge a few weeks ago which turned into a personal no spending challenge.  My goal was really to eat out of the pantry/freezer but eat well and to not eat any meals at restaurants.  I take my lunch to work every night (one benefit of working night shift, nothing is open!) so that's not an issue but on my days off I tend to slack off a bit. 

The no-restaurant part went fine, but of course there were other expenses.  We took our dog to the vet to be seen and it was not cheap (but worth it of course!) and I had a planned expense coming up that hit during this spending holiday.  So the total numbers kind of sucked for the 2 week period, but the lessons learned were valuable.  They are...

1. I'm addicted to convenient food.  The cafeteria at my hospital is way too convenient (and good) it can be difficult to say no when my shift is over (and the cafeteria is now open).  If when I eat there, I have decided to focus more on the cream of wheat which is cheap, healthy and filling instead of potatoes and a sausage which has been my norm in the past. 

2. Man oh man do we have a LOT of food in our house.  I hit the freezer hard and it seems like I barely made a dent.  Going forward, I'd honestly like to focus more meals on fresher foods than on shelf stable foods.  Budget Bytes is fantastic and I'll be using that as an eating reference in the future. 

3. Man, I wish it wasn't so hot.  I do not want to use the oven when it is 100 degrees outside.  It's been blazing hot for weeks now, and I could really use a break. 

4. I don't have a lot of urge to just spend money for the sake of spending money.  I spend on my hobby (metal detecting) and food and the un-avoidable costs and that's about it.  If I want to cut down spending, we need to eat at restaurants less. 

Experiences like these are great for learning more about yourself and your spending habits.  I recommend a spending holiday today!!

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #591 on: August 05, 2017, 10:56:19 AM »
^ sounds like a great experience Ice Beard! I too have a soft spot for convenience foods and restaurants, and that's been one of the biggest things I've been proud of myself for cutting down on.

One tip re:freezer meals. My wife and I often make freezer meals that are "augmented" by fresh food. By that I mean if you freeze a main dish, but then have fresh veggies or something to go with it, it really adds a lot and makes it seem more fresh.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #592 on: August 06, 2017, 01:31:56 AM »
Lunch at a shopping centre, even though I wanted to chew off my own arm with hunger by the time we got home.

Homemade Cuban sandwiches for lunch beats food court food any day.

kaypinkHH

• Stubble
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #593 on: August 08, 2017, 07:47:01 AM »
I had two 0 SPEND DAYS in a row!! On a long weekend!! What is this witchcraft!??

Sunday: Biked downtown to watch a free comedy show at a free festival. Saved ~$10+ in parking. Packed a lunch, so saved the money from the festival food. Brought water bottles to fill up. Didn't by fancy $2 Robot Tea. Biked around a bit more after, explored a new park, had the picnic, and then biked home. Didn't stop for ice cream. Thought we might need groceries, but rummaged through the pantry and freezer and put together a good meal!

Monday:
Didn't leave the house, was lazy, easy to not spend.

brute

• Bristles
« Reply #594 on: August 10, 2017, 01:53:51 PM »
A soda from the work cafe. I could use some caffeine, but I'm not about to pay $1.72 for a 20 oz bottle

1later_bloomer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #595 on: August 13, 2017, 06:41:42 PM »
I didn't buy a new to me bedroom set for $550 that retails new for over $2000. The foster daughter I was going to get it for only wants the bed frame, she wants us to go get her own dresser and mattress. I realised I could get just the bed frame much cheaper and not have to figure out where to keep the extra pieces until she moves out.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #596 on: August 14, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »
I will NOT be buying a coffee today. (I need to chant this like a mantra, to make sure it's true!)
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

icbatbh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #597 on: August 16, 2017, 08:13:57 AM »
Today I had to meet my best friend and his father at lunchtime so that I could be measured for a suit for his wedding (I'm the best man). I arrived 10 minutes early so instead of paying to use the car park right next to the tailors, I drove around until I found a nearby street where I could park my P.O.S car for free.

My best friend arrived shortly afterwards. I told him about the street I parked in and he said that he couldn't be bothered, so paid to use the car park.

About 15 minutes later his dad arrived in his very fancy Mercedes E63 AMG estate. He also chose to park right next to the shop, except he didn't have any money for the parking so my best friend had to pay for him. I couldn't help but smile about the whole situation.

narrative

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #598 on: August 19, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
I did NOT buy dinner at a restaurant.

I cooked a 3lb pot roast with carrots and potatoes in an instant pot *in a hotel room.* It gave us dinner for 4 and 3 meals in tupperware for my husband for this week for less than the cost of a meal out.
My ProjectFi Referral Link (Gives you a $20 dredit after 30 days) - https://g.co/fi/r/FMN2DU

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #599 on: August 24, 2017, 09:41:13 AM »
Made a smoothie at home, so I did not buy oatmeal at work. It's a tiny thing, but I've been a very, very bad spendypants this summer, so I'm trying to get back on track.