Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 131693 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #450 on: September 13, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »
Lip balm.  I forgot my lip balm when I left for the office yesterday.  Could have bought an overpriced inferior replacement at the office convenience store, but I elected to tough it out.  My lips were dry and cracked by the end of the day, but they're already back to normal.  Saved $2.50, some plastic and gross petroleum based goo.  (I normally make my own lip balm)

I have found that the more I use lip balm, the more I need to use it. I stopped using it all together and now my lips are fine.

+1. True for me also. Only exception is, I find it unavoidable when it's a very cold very dry winter.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #451 on: September 13, 2016, 07:54:11 PM »
Lip balm.  I forgot my lip balm when I left for the office yesterday.  Could have bought an overpriced inferior replacement at the office convenience store, but I elected to tough it out.  My lips were dry and cracked by the end of the day, but they're already back to normal.  Saved $2.50, some plastic and gross petroleum based goo.  (I normally make my own lip balm)

I have found that the more I use lip balm, the more I need to use it. I stopped using it all together and now my lips are fine.

+1. True for me also. Only exception is, I find it unavoidable when it's a very cold very dry winter.

Same here except now husband has installed a ceiling fan in the bedroom. On the bright side, he can sleep at night, so I'll just use some balm.

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #452 on: September 13, 2016, 10:27:28 PM »
Coffee while out with a coworker. He offered to pay for me but I told him I was fine. I guess I'm saving him money, too!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #453 on: September 14, 2016, 04:49:26 PM »

I have found that the less I use lip balm, the more I need to use it. I use it all the time and now my lips are fine.

FrugalFarmer, do you have a link to the recipe you use for the balm? Would be nice to add that to my repertoire and probably save some bucks, too.

Not FrugalFarmer, but mine is plain vegetable shortening with just a little honey mixed in until smooth. Just enough honey so it's beige and sweet, but not enough so it's sticky. Maybe one part honey to 7-8 parts shortening? I keep it in a little pot and just apply with a finger.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #454 on: September 14, 2016, 06:14:42 PM »
Thanks, Rural!
Motto for 2017: “A year from now you may wish you had started today.” ~ Karen Lamb

Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/guess-i'll-start-a-journal-oneday/

Helvegen

• Bristles
« Reply #455 on: September 15, 2016, 10:29:26 AM »
This is sort of odd, but on Labor Day, our microwave died. After deciding CL was a waste of time for the type of microwave we needed for the price we wanted to pay, I found a great returned one in the scratch and dent section of Amazon (Warehouse) for $143. I was able to use an Amazon gc I got for my birthday and some rewards points from my CC to bring down the price even further (new price was $198). For whatever reason, it was not going to ship until the 13th, but once it did, it would be on the two day shipping plan and would be here tonight by 8pm.

Now, I did get a bit concerned yesterday when I saw it hadn't shipped yet, however, I've had this happen with Amazon before and they expedited the shipping, I still got the item by the guaranteed date. Refreshing all day at work, nothing, came home, made dinner, looked at the phone - oh it finally shipped. Estimated date of delivery SEPT 22nd. WTF?

So I called Amazon and the CSA had no idea why it took so long to ship out in the first place and apparently once they finally got around to shipping it, they shipped it standard ground instead of Prime two day delivery like they were supposed to. Called UPS and they said there was nothing they could do at that point, so the CSA decided to have the microwave sent back to the warehouse and send me another next day air for free. The CSA did not realize that I had bought a 'damaged' one of a kind item from AW, so it wasn't as simple as me just buying another one. So a call to the supervisor later, he was able to price match the microwave and get me free next day air. My microwave will be here tomorrow, yay!

So what didn't I buy, but am getting anyway? A brand new, undamaged microwave. :p

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #456 on: September 15, 2016, 05:19:05 PM »
We got an invitation from an Investment Advisor Company.
They would buy us dinner if we would listen to their talk.
So we went to Bonefish Grill, had Bam Bam shrimp, battered calamari
for appetizers. They took orders, We both ordered the Filet Mignon with garlic potatoes,
the were 5 other choices.
 They presented an insurance product that grew a capped* amount if the stock market grew
and stayed flat if the market was flat of down. There was time before you could get you money back, but you could withdraw 10% a year with out penalty.
 After that we had filled out a form yes or no, about our interest, they visited the people that said yes and setup appointments, then they left. Gone completely.
A salad was served with a light but flavorable dressing.
 Dinner was served, my steak was cooked a perfect medium rare. The potatoes were a bit cold,
but good. My wife's medium cooked steak was also good.
  We thoroughly enjoyed the couple across the table, late fifties, planning on getting married

So, what didn't we buy?
We didn't buy a night out at a restaurant with steak dinners. But we enjoyed one.

* the capped rate was never mentioned, I think on purpose, I suspect in these times it is a pretty low interest rate.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #457 on: September 16, 2016, 05:24:53 AM »
amazon story

similar happened to us. We had ordered a surround sound system for our new house from Amazon as a birthday present to me. Shows up, and there are no wires. I called Amazon, they said sorry but it was a close out, so they can't replace it. Instead, they say keep the system and we'll refund you 100% on the credit card. Ok done. 5 minute call to the manufacturer and they are sending wires out for free. Free is a great price to pay for bad-ass movie listening at home!

(surround sound and a bigger TV can be mustacian... Wife likes hockey, both like movies. This system was nice enough we didn't go to a professional event ($300 each trip probably) and have only watched maybe 3 movies in theaters in the last 3 years.

Tubby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #458 on: September 23, 2016, 07:02:04 AM »
Was poking around in the outlet stores the other day and came upon two pairs of really quality chinos that were marked down from $70 to $16. They fit well and looked good on me, but I am in the middle of a weight loss effort and have another 12 pounds to lose. A couple pairs of pants put away until I put on weight again was just not a bargain. Plus, when I returned home, I found that all of the pets I had grown out of are now fitting or will fit me in another few pounds.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #459 on: September 25, 2016, 07:40:27 AM »
I've been NOT buying for so many years, that I don't even know,
I'm NOT buying what I'm NOT buying.

Frugality started 34 years ago, it's just part of me.

indentured4now

• Stubble
« Reply #460 on: September 25, 2016, 08:15:26 PM »
I did NOT buy a fertilizer spreader for the yard that I've been coveting since March.    The old one still works (barely) so it'll do for another year.   While I'm at it, now i won't buy so much $hit to spread on the yard either.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #461 on: September 25, 2016, 11:52:06 PM »
The best way of saving money on stuff is not buying anything at all ;)

What temptations did you leave behind in the store? :)

For me today:
- A polo shirt at the thrift shop. It was just €4,50, but that was the only reason I was considering to buy it.
I really never spend anymore because I am not even tempted. lol

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #462 on: September 27, 2016, 07:44:30 AM »
Despite my weekend weakness, when I went to the Awesome Ladies' Bookclub hosted at the local coffee shop, I did not buy coffee or a pastry. Temptation: resisted! Extra bonus: I rode my bike there!

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #463 on: September 27, 2016, 08:39:37 AM »

For me today:
- A polo shirt at the thrift shop. It was just €4,50, but that was the only reason I was considering to buy it.
I think that the way that I have cured temptation spending is by spending everyday of the week on my mortgage. I seriously walk to the bank to spend on my mortgage and pay down debt. I dont care if its 5 bucks or 2000 bucks. I sound so often on it that it stops all other spending because I run out of extra money to spend on anything else. lol !!!!

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #464 on: October 05, 2016, 10:17:05 AM »
I'm not sure if this counts but we got a trustedhousesitters account(which cost some money) but it saved us booking 3 weeks with the dog sitter and the cat sitter.  About 100$ for the site and in less than a day we have a lovely woman who is going to stay in our house and take care of all of our animals.  The alternative we didn't buy would be 25$ a day for the dog and 20$ a day for the cats which is almost 1000$!  Probably could have negotiated both sitters down for the extended time, but I figure I saved at least 400$.

referral link: https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/su/XDBdEIvq
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:31:27 AM by druth »

CheapScholar

• Bristles
« Reply #465 on: October 05, 2016, 05:43:41 PM »
Work told me today they will start giving me a $30 stipend for my cell service each month.  I just switched to Ting last month and I project my monthly bill to be $15, $30 at the absolute most.

FrugalFarmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #466 on: October 06, 2016, 07:36:02 AM »

I have found that the less I use lip balm, the more I need to use it. I use it all the time and now my lips are fine.

FrugalFarmer, do you have a link to the recipe you use for the balm? Would be nice to add that to my repertoire and probably save some bucks, too.

Not FrugalFarmer, but mine is plain vegetable shortening with just a little honey mixed in until smooth. Just enough honey so it's beige and sweet, but not enough so it's sticky. Maybe one part honey to 7-8 parts shortening? I keep it in a little pot and just apply with a finger.

I kind of wing it and test the consistency periodically and make adjustments.  This recipe looks similar to what I make, except I prefer half coconut oil, half sweet almond oil.  I bought a huge brick of beeswax from the farmers market years ago, and I'm still chipping away at that.  The vitamin e oil is the most important thing for moisturizing and I suggest getting a very concentrated one.  I pour my finished lip balm into reused containers from other lip balm or tiger balm or tiny food jars or whatever.  http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2015/12/lip-balm-recipe.html

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #467 on: October 06, 2016, 03:14:12 PM »
Thanks, FrugalFarmer!  I will save this (and Rural's recipe) for when I run low.
Motto for 2017: “A year from now you may wish you had started today.” ~ Karen Lamb

Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/guess-i'll-start-a-journal-oneday/

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #468 on: October 12, 2016, 03:24:24 PM »
I passed up a sale on some Manitobah Mukluks I've been eyeing. I put them in my cart 3 times and closed the window each time. Then I envisioned my early retirement and kid successful in college.

EarlThePearl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #469 on: October 12, 2016, 04:36:21 PM »
Fancy Pants Stubbs Wooten $450 loafers for $50 on eBay. Very cool but not sure about the size (could have returned but would pay shipping) and definitely don't need them.

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #470 on: October 12, 2016, 05:05:23 PM »
A friend of mine has a vespa 300 Super sport.  It is my dream scooter.  he's offering it at less than half of MSRP, in good shape.  I'd love riding the shiat out of it.  I have the cash in hand!

I told him we need to save a bit more for probably buying a house in the next year or so, or at least have more rainy day $$.  It was a nice feeling to know that I COULD do it if I wanted.

I've also been wanting to build a new computer for a while.  It's part of how I make my living, and I've milked a decade out of an $800 computer.  Waiting on that too.  the desire to do so is not stronger than the desire to have $$ in my fist.

alewpanda

• Stubble
« Reply #471 on: October 16, 2016, 09:35:05 PM »
Custard after youth group....went home to leftover homemade cheesy mac instead :)

Mark331

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #472 on: October 16, 2016, 09:57:10 PM »

For me today:
I didn't buy anything and I was never tempted to spend either. I guess that I'm a lucky guy. I am extremely content. I went to the grocery store with my wife and they always have free samples there. I usually eat free lunch every day at the grocery store deli because they have free 1/4 sized sandwiches. So thats my big consumer splurge for the day. I burn some calories which is human fuel to get to the free same counter.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #473 on: October 16, 2016, 11:51:47 PM »
Bras. I was on the website ordering them when I remembered I usually get a $25 birthday voucher from them.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #474 on: October 17, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »
I did not buy pantry and fridge organizer items. So tempting. I want a proper can rack for the pantry. And egg bins for the fridge (we buy in bulk from costco).
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

jeeebus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #475 on: October 20, 2016, 08:11:29 AM »
2 Christmas jumpers. They were buy one, get one free. Then I realised that I already look like a plank when I wear my existing Christmas jumper - especially in July.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #476 on: October 20, 2016, 01:28:14 PM »
Lunch and coffee.  At a work seminar today with lunch provided.

Anejo rum.  My seasonal fall treat is hot apple cider with a bit of rum at night, but I'm using some vodka and dark rum instead of buying another bottle of my preferred spirit.  The struggle is real.

FIRE Artist

• Bristles
« Reply #477 on: October 20, 2016, 01:36:44 PM »
A book that I have had in my wish list for a few months, unfortunately, I bought three others off of the same wish list...hangs head in shame.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #478 on: October 20, 2016, 03:52:42 PM »
2 Christmas jumpers. They were buy one, get one free. Then I realised that I already look like a plank when I wear my existing Christmas jumper - especially in July.

I think we need photos... :D

jeeebus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #479 on: October 21, 2016, 02:11:41 AM »

I think we need photos... :D

I'm not sure we do!

Pinch of salt

• Stubble
« Reply #480 on: October 22, 2016, 04:52:57 PM »
Was visiting Paris a few days, and walked everywhere and ate breakfast at my airbnb and packed lunch every day.

MrsTuxedocat

• Stubble
« Reply #481 on: October 23, 2016, 12:08:10 AM »
I wanted coffee at Starbucks today but I resisted the urge; I had tea at home.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #482 on: October 23, 2016, 03:50:10 AM »
I didn't buy the very lovely clothes that I saw at my favorite store today. Saved myself nearly 150 euros! Yay!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #483 on: October 23, 2016, 04:17:03 AM »

Anejo rum.  My seasonal fall treat is hot apple cider with a bit of rum at night

Mmm, sounds lovely.:)

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #484 on: October 23, 2016, 04:04:32 PM »
I wanted coffee at Starbucks today but I resisted the urge; I had tea at home.

Me too!  But I was craving a chai latte; still have not made anything for myself since getting home!

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #485 on: October 25, 2016, 08:22:27 AM »
We were offered a 2011 Ford Escape luxury edition-type thing for 4,000$ from my BF's step-father (retail value is around 16,000$ minimum for the mileage). We decided that although we'd love the 4-wheel drive and the room for surfboards (they don't fit in our 2004 Hyundai Sonata), the bigger tires we'd have to buy, more expensive insurance, and more expensive maintenance were in no way worth the trouble.

Thanks, but no thanks!

Mr. Millennial Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #486 on: October 25, 2016, 12:59:12 PM »
Currently looking for a new motorcycle jacket (safety first).

Came across the perfect jacket, price was more than 4 figures, could never justify it.

Still on the hunt!

WootWoot

• Stubble
« Reply #487 on: October 25, 2016, 01:59:27 PM »
Got an email from a blog I follow, with a link to a calendar re: one of my favorite authors of all time. I didn't buy the calendar. Was tempted though...

spjulep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #488 on: October 26, 2016, 12:16:38 PM »
We decided to invest in a pull-out couch to make better use of the guest room, plus maybe use it for AirBnb in the future. While secondhand might have been cheap, I don't know if it's the best for fabric and mattresses. I hunted for a long time for a good deal on a new couch and it finally arrived. At the store, they didn't have the one I wanted in stock, but they did have a bigger, nicer model...that was more than double the price. I did really like the nicer model, and was so close to getting upsold, but remembered this thread and my MMM training. I asked them to put in an order for the original couch (which is perfectly nice and meets my needs) and to honor the sale price, and they did. And, since it's coming from the warehouse, delivery was free!

Kapiira

• Stubble
« Reply #489 on: November 04, 2016, 03:31:09 PM »
I thought about buying breakfast because I was running late in the morning.  Instead, I grabbed some food I could eat in the car.  I saved money and got to work the same time as if I had stopped to pick up food.

keulmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • aiming to FIRE so I can join the circus full time
« Reply #490 on: November 04, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
Soda.....I'm on week 3 of giving up the horrible habit. I allow myself to drink it if I happen onto it for free, but I'm trying so so hard to quit wasting money on the stuff. Been cravin' one hard tonight though.

JT

• Stubble
« Reply #491 on: November 04, 2016, 11:12:19 PM »
The latest bible for Excel 2016!!  Might see if work can get it, since using excel to a high level is a requirement of the job.  But I'd love this book at home/on the train/on the spin bike etc etc to read in spare moments of curiosity and leisure.  Perhaps I could get it second hand, but then Excel 2017 might be out!!  Could try the library and just rebook it every month!  As you can see, this is a bit of a struggle for me.

indentured4now

• Stubble
« Reply #492 on: November 05, 2016, 05:38:25 AM »
Did not buy a "leaf rake" for our large yard.   Also decided to blow off leaves every other week instead of weekly this fall.   Saved $350 plus saves net 2 hours of my weekends now till Christmas when leaf drop hell ends...

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #493 on: November 05, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »
returned "woolite" dry cleaning sheets as tried one and didn't notice any difference, 10$ back in my wallet

brute

• Bristles
« Reply #494 on: November 05, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »
I did not buy a minifridge this weekend. I'll wait for one to show up for cheap on CL. (Its for culturing brewing yeast so I don't have to buy it. Should net me $200 a year)

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #495 on: November 05, 2016, 12:30:06 PM »
My wife's car trunk handle-latch thingy broke, and instead of just bringing it to a shop (buying ~$400 of labor on top of the parts), we bought the part for ~$30 and fixed it ourselves. There are online forums for pretty much any major make/model of car, and devoted people who write out instructions to fix common problems!
"As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky." -Thomas Edison

My Log | Take surveys as a side-hustle! Use my referral link

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #496 on: November 05, 2016, 04:23:36 PM »
My wife's car trunk handle-latch thingy broke, and instead of just bringing it to a shop (buying ~$400 of labor on top of the parts), we bought the part for ~$30 and fixed it ourselves. There are online forums for pretty much any major make/model of car, and devoted people who write out instructions to fix common problems!

I am not a car guy but I have been doing the same for years. First thing I do is to check online to see if there is a youtube video or instructions to figure out the problem. Then same thing to fix the issue. I saved a few $$$ by doing that. I must say, back in the day, Mercedes forums saved me a lot of money.

Recently, I gave up buying things. Moving forward the plan is to buy only necessities.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #497 on: November 06, 2016, 12:07:53 AM »
Went shopping to buy a dress I could wear to a funeral and to an upcoming awards function for work.

Sydney doesn't sell black dresses in November.

Oh well... I'll dig out something to wear. I didn't want to part with the money anyway.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #498 on: November 06, 2016, 08:47:24 AM »
A friend had organized a group of us to go to an exhibit at a museum. Admission 15.00 for adults. The city library has museum passes that can be checked out for library members (free membership, obvi).

I arrived at the library at 8:55am, for 9am opening as these passes are highly sought after. I got a pass! It's good for 2 adults and 2 kids free admission. So I got myself, my friend, and her kid in for no cost.

Love the public library system. :)

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #499 on: November 06, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
I'm taking the dog for a hike today, but his leash was partially chewed through, and wouldn't last if he was in a pulling mood.  I was going to stop and pick up a new leash, but didn't want to spend $15 on a new leash.  Instead, I cut the chewed part off, and tied it in a double knot as tightly as I could.  Good as new!*

*Obviously not really, but it'll hold. :-)
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” - Dalai Lama