Author Topic: What's your oldest (functional) possession?  (Read 10554 times)

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
Re: What's your oldest (functional) possession?
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2020, 09:03:35 AM »
I'm not sure 50 year old large appliances are a great thing to keep around, though - you probably blow through electricity like crazy with a 50 year old fridge or dishwasher!

We had a very old freezer (maybe 30 years?) and I put a kill-o-watt on it for a week and realized it was accounting for 25% of our entire annual power bill. The $150 I spend on a new chest freezer paid for itself in about 1 year. Not everything old is good.

I recall getting a microwave in the mid-80s and it being a big deal/new thing. Did you really get one in the early 1970s? Wikipedia says they existed, but weren't in widespread use until the late 70s.

-W

Just about any refrigerator made between 1967 and 1985 would not be a good choice for the energy conscious, being frost-free they're loaded with frequent-cycling heating elements, but refrigerators made before that are actually quite efficient. My '51 Coldspot uses less than $2 a month, but requires manual defrosting once or twice a year.

Edit: Today's dishwashers actually use more electricity than the older ones, but the tradeoff is the water savings. My '57 will do a load of dishes in just under 15 minutes. Not sure on water usage, but we're on a well and dishwasher/washing machine discharge goes back into the ground via a french drain so I'm not too concerned.

The microwave is a '68 Radarange, though I do have a water-cooled '63 industrial unit I restored with a cavity large enough to cook a modern microwave ; ) People often ask if such an old unit is safe. The truth is the door design is actually far superior to today's Chinese sheetmetal versions; developed by Dr. Osepchuk at Raytheon, these units have an RF choke built into the inner assembly, and were used by Amana up through 1984.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:08:20 AM by Cadman »

Staunch Aim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2020, 09:19:13 AM »
The outright oldest are likely an anvil, a vice and other assorted tools that have been passed down from my great-grandfather to me.

My oldest item would be the stuffed bear which my folks gave me on my second birthday.  The bear and I wore the same size t shirt at the time.  I'll echo the sailor's sentiments here.

For an item that I purchased, it would be a pair of Asolo hiking boots, which are about 15 years old and still in great shape.

The oldest which sees everyday use is a 1950's teak game table which serves as the kitchen table.  It has some damage to the tabletop I'd love to get repaired someday.  I think I've had it for about 12 years.

I have a few items which, while purchased somewhat recently, I expect I'll own the rest of my life - quilts, furniture, dishes, cast iron and leather goods, a tube amplified stereo and my bicycle (at least the steel frame).

Photograph 51

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2020, 11:34:36 AM »
I still use a blanket that was quilted for me when I was born and given as a baby gift.  So that's from the 1970's.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2020, 01:49:11 PM »
Stanley hand plane from the 1950’s (you have to specify which century. I think they were making ones in the 1850’s too)
Two cast iron skillets from my grandparents.
Two USNavy spoons from my Granddad. I actually remembered a different spoon that he had. I asked my aunt to send it to me when she went through his stuff, but these were the ones that she found.

It’s kind of funny that these three things had already popped up on the thread. I’m pretty sure the skillets are the oldest.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2020, 02:02:54 PM »
I have a large metal baking pan that is 100 years old. My grandparents bought it to use in their restaurant. When it closed my mom took it and used it and now I have had it for 35 years. It cleans up like new.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2020, 02:36:48 PM »

The oldest item that I bought and have used since new is a small alarm clock that I bought while in high school (mid-80s).  It has faded from it's original colour, has a small crack in the plastic, my wife hates the sound of it but I can't bring myself to replace it.

A Le Creuset dutch oven that was given to my in-laws as a wedding gift 50+ years ago.

Several DE and straight razors, some dating back to the early 1900s, that are in my shaving rotation.

We also have a few vintage pieces of MCM furniture (50s and 60s). Taking off list as these were more recent purchases that happened to be vintage.

Singer treadle sewing machine that was my wife's grandmothers.  Still works perfect.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:45:14 PM by Dogastrophe »

Poeirenta

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2020, 12:05:31 AM »
Our oldest joint possession here at the ranch is our 1920's art deco bar cabinet. For better or worse, it's been seeing an uptick in use since the pandemic.

@Sailor Sam, I also have a rabbit, named  Brown Bun (hey, i was 5, what can I say) who still lives with me. He had his own hospital ID collar when I had surgery at 6. I can only imagine how happy the surg team was to get that plush germ vector out of the room once I was under... Brown Bun hasn't seen the level of service that your Peter has, but I would also supply a beat down to anyone who would mock him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2020, 12:36:38 AM »
Age is a bias here, as nothing could have been in my personal use longer than three decades, but an assortment of firearms, hunting knives, even a wool shirt I use as an under-layer that I think at one point was my father's skinny teenage size in another era (I'm much smaller than he was in my lifetime, and female besides). I feel like old furniture is too much of a gimme, but I appreciate never having needed to buy any, or worry that a splash of water would turn them to warped particleboard mush. Bike pump that couldn't have been from after 1980.

Books from the turn of the (prior) century and a couple from just before - solely utilized for entertainment, but as that was their original purpose I feel that should count. I still have an old comb of my grandfather's, of indeterminate age, which I often use, and an ice cream scoop that belonged to his sister, so weighty it would work as an effective self defense implement in event of freezer thieves. Then there's the more-typical dutch oven and hand-crank meat grinder, 60s silverware that went out of fashion, etc. (It pains me to think how many wonderful, useful things wouldn't have been thrown out had TV dinners never caught on....)

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2020, 11:47:10 AM »
Biopace chainrings! Indeed, that's my favorite so far.

-W

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2020, 04:32:59 PM »
I have an IKEA Poang chair (or similar) in my living room that my parents bought before I was born (so mid-1980s, at the latest). The new chairs are narrower, so when I took it we had to make a new cover rather than buy one.

I also have some of my grandmother's kitchen stuff, including a set of Pyrex mixing bowls I've had for ~8 years. I think they are from the late 1970s/early 1980s (this pattern: https://pyrex.cmog.org/pattern-library/woodland). I recently found a matching one in a larger size at a garage sale, which I snapped up.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2020, 06:10:36 PM »
DS, 4, is currently sleeping in the same bed that his grandfather, deceased but would be mid-70s, slept in as a little boy in the 50s.

My wife' engagement ring was from her grandmother, purchased in the late 1930s.  Marrying someone who didn't want me to buy her any rings because she wanted to use her family's small ring?  Priceless.

My parents immigrated so not as much from them but I still sleep with one of my blankets from my childhood.   I have some clothes from high school I still wear too, 20 years later.  Some other things but nothing from the old country.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2020, 07:32:43 PM »
I use one of my grandmother's wooden darning eggs.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2020, 09:26:33 PM »
DS, 4, is currently sleeping in the same bed that his grandfather, deceased but would be mid-70s, slept in as a little boy in the 50s.

My wife' engagement ring was from her grandmother, purchased in the late 1930s.  Marrying someone who didn't want me to buy her any rings because she wanted to use her family's small ring?  Priceless.

My parents immigrated so not as much from them but I still sleep with one of my blankets from my childhood.   I have some clothes from high school I still wear too, 20 years later.  Some other things but nothing from the old country.

Oh, you reminded me!  That might be my oldest continuously used possession, too.  I have a blanket from about 1993 or 1994 which I still use on my bed.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2020, 11:18:53 PM »
Well, going by the rules, the longest I've been able to use anything is 41 years.  But, I have two things that qualify for that long (that I can think of).
First, one of my dressers.  Originally something my mom picked up second hand, it's been mine since I was a baby and I've moved it with me.  It's in my son's bedroom now and he uses it.

Second, a hippo footstool, looks like it was carved from cryptomeria, probably in the 60s.  I was playing with it from the moment I could crawl (it belonged to my grandparents), and I recieved it when both passed away in my 20s.  It's a great place to sit and put my socks on before heading out the door (just did that today).

I have a keychain (a mini-leatherman with scissors instead of pliers) that I've had about 22 years (we were flat broke, but my then-husband bought it for me for Christmas because he knew I wanted it).  I keep it because it's useful as hell! 

If I didn't play by the rules, I have a cast iron bean pot (looks like a cauldron) with a gatemark, putting it at late 1800s or early 1900s.  It's great for using in the smoker.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2020, 01:58:59 PM »
I'll toss in my Logitech 2.1 speakers. Going on 15 years. Still sound great. I've used them nearly every day. Now using them with my TV/monitor in my studio apt. 

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2020, 02:53:54 PM »
Got a Ramones-style leather jacket from the early 1980s that I still occasionally wear, but should really consider gifting to a younger hipper relative. And at least one t-shirt from, um, 1998.

Most other stuff has been a victim of efficiency. For two long-distance work-related moves, it made sense to donate or sell almost everything and then become more minimalist at the new location, rather than schlepping stuff across the country.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2020, 09:39:32 PM »
My family moved too often when I was growing up for any of us to keep large or sentimental items, and I lean towards minimalist now. Still, I have a few things that fit the rules.
My sewing machine was bought by my mother in July 1977, and I used it regularly growing up and until she gave it to me about 15 years ago. It is still more reliable than any of the replacements she bought herself since (I feel a bad about that).
I have also had my mountain bike 20 years, but it was out of my possession for about 10 years and I don't use it regularly enough to be honest.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2020, 07:39:39 AM »
The gold (gold-colored, not real gold) bangle bracelet my grandfather gave my grandmother when they got engaged and married in 1913. The clasp is still perfectly good, and the bracelet looks nice on me.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2020, 01:53:02 PM »
I still have my Tot 50 mini stapler from 4th grade. That was around 1970.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2020, 05:22:26 PM »
I have a pair of little stud earrings shaped like jack-o-lanterns. My mom bought them for me in 1984 because they were small enough to be compliant with the Catholic school dress code. I still wear them every year on Halloween.

I also have my grandma’s pearl necklace, which is older than me. She had the pearls restrung and gave it to me as a wedding present 17 years ago.

Husband and I are both from decently large families, so we didn’t inherit many household things from our grandparents. We do have a crystal serving dish from his grandma. It was probably a wedding gift in the 1940s. We use it every year on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

adamR18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2020, 12:52:28 AM »
Functional with a purpose? Some Corelle dishes- I already had a set of ordinary dishes, but it is only service for four. My grandfather (RIP) used to work estate sales and would always come home with a bunch of stuff to give to his kids and grandkids. The Corelle was one of those things- I use it all the time, especially if I have more than three visitors over.

Functional as a hobby? My Apple IIgs computer, circa 1983. I collect vintage Apple computers, and it is a very cheap hobby, as people know me as "the guy who likes old Apple stuff," so they give me stuff when they clean out their basements. The Apple II is my oldest one, given to me by a computer shop owner who couldn't sell it, and I still use it to maintain my grocery list and meal plan.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2020, 10:09:02 AM »
Functional as a hobby? My Apple IIgs computer, circa 1983. I collect vintage Apple computers, and it is a very cheap hobby, as people know me as "the guy who likes old Apple stuff," so they give me stuff when they clean out their basements. The Apple II is my oldest one, given to me by a computer shop owner who couldn't sell it, and I still use it to maintain my grocery list and meal plan.
You'd probably like this: https://www.benheck.com/apple-iigs-original-hardware-laptop/

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2020, 12:20:51 PM »
1920's art deco china cabinet and sideboard that is in daily use to store cups and small appliances.

1930's (maybe much older) solid steel wheelbarrow that I use as a mobile bonfire pit, and occasionally for moving stuff around. Very handy to put the bonfire where you want, not burn the grass underneath, and dump the ashes where you want afterwards.

I also have a working 1940's cast iron and wood push mower, but one of the hard rubber tires has split and I'm not sure how to repair it. So I guess that doesn't count.

Clever Name

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2020, 12:33:13 PM »
Do books count? I'm only 30, but I have some books that I've owned for ~20-25 years and still re-read from time to time.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2020, 12:52:38 PM »
I use my grandfather’s straight razor, a Krusius Brothers KB Extra which he probably bought new in the Big Apple in the late 1920s or early ‘30s, at least once a week. It’s heavy steel, had a few rust spots and knicks, but I sent it away to a gent in Germany who polished it up and found an odd Japanese handle lying around that fit it perfectly. It shaves great, smooth and close, the way my lady likes it.  I’ve only been using it for three years though...

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2020, 01:55:34 PM »
We've got a purple Pyrex mixing bowl that came with opening a bank account in my new married name 18 years ago. Orignally there were 3, nesting style, all with lids. Now it's just the largest and smallest left. It's got a slight chip around the rim, but it's the perfect size for whipping up cake batter, or a huge salad, or holding leftovers for tomorrow. I still have the lid too so I don't have to waste plastic wrap.

I'll keep thinking though. Great topic. I would love to see a pic of that Ocean Pacific wallet, and a close up of one of the military spoons that are so coveted.

doingmybest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2020, 09:46:53 PM »
I still regularly use the sewing machine that my grandmother bought for me in 1967.  It's not fancy but it gets the job done.  Used it just last week to make face masks for the family.

I also have the rocking horse I received as a Christmas gift in 1963.  It stays in our front hall but is only used when small children are visiting.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2020, 10:41:43 PM »
Born in 82

It took a bit of oxidation removal and a few caps needed replacing, however my 8 year old loves playing my NES which my folks bought for me in 86.  I too love playing it.  Snes, Genesis, 32x, and n64 all see frequent use.  All originally mine (most consoles/games I bought via handyman and maintenance work performed as a 6-12 year old kid for community members and strangers - I'd ride around on my bike and knock on doors).

Crt died a few years back so the intellivision and comodoi64 now sit in storage.

Primary Cast iron pan, butchers knife, and some misc tools belonged to my great grandfather and I use them frequently still.  As eldest grandson/son on both sides it oft was my job to dress a holiday meat, cook meals, etc.  These I started using when I was 6.

Our Hoosier cabinet has been passed through the family since the 20s - we've used it the last 8 years in our kitchen for kids toys, drafting supplies, etc.  I've repinned the hinges now twice, and doweled some of the screw mount holes.

1915 story and Clark has also passed through the family and my wife has played it frequently for about 12 years in our home.  She learned on it in the mid 80s.

Chair is Eames lounge, I use it daily for 6 hours while working.  No longer remember the date of the chair.  Leather and wood require monthly nourishment.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:54:02 PM by Kem »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2020, 11:40:00 PM »
It's debatable whether it's been continuously or regularly used - probably not - but I have in my possession my pilot's log book, which was a gift to me from my father and has a first entry of 4/20/1985 when he and I flew, according to my records, a Cessna 150 for one hour.

I never got my pilot's license, but I'm considering finishing it sometime soon.  If I do go back to finish it, I will want to continue using this log book if it is permissible.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2020, 02:56:58 AM »
We have lots of old furniture, tools and such, but the thing that I'm most impressed with it's still rocking and has seen heavy use is my calculator. I bought a high-end one from Texas Instruments while at university (STEM degree so needed it) and it still runs like clockwork after 24 years.

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2020, 05:30:37 AM »
A 1976 Bi-Centennial edition Gibson Thunderbird guitar. Just gets better and better.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2020, 08:58:50 AM »
No jewelry, folks. That's neat, but it's not functional (unless you have to wear jewelry for a job or something, I guess?)

I'm impressed with all the great stuff. Maybe we should have a "cheap purchase I regret the most" thread as well...

-W

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2020, 09:06:40 AM »
@waltworks - what does one do with the bonus points you are awarding here? 
Can they be used in lieu of payment at www.waltworks.com?

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2020, 09:22:47 AM »
@waltworks - what does one do with the bonus points you are awarding here? 
Can they be used in lieu of payment at www.waltworks.com?

I have yet to award any officially... but sure!

The exchange rate won't be great...

-W

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2020, 09:43:21 AM »
We have lots of old furniture, tools and such, but the thing that I'm most impressed with it's still rocking and has seen heavy use is my calculator. I bought a high-end one from Texas Instruments while at university (STEM degree so needed it) and it still runs like clockwork after 24 years.

Thanks for jogging my memory. I use an old TI scientific calculator that I originally bought for my dad back in 1985 or '86. Still going strong!

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2020, 10:33:35 AM »
I have 3 snowboards that I purchased in 2003, 2004 and 2006. I ride each board at least 5 times/year.

I have a shirt that is 20 years old. I wear it 2-3 times/year.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2020, 02:10:19 AM »
For me, probably some old Zeiss binoculars, made in Germany. Some are from West Germany before reunification, but I don't think mine are.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2020, 06:35:14 AM »
I have a bike that I've been riding for 18 years. It's a bit heavy and rusty, but at the rate bikes get stolen around here I'm not in a rush to upgrade. I also have earrings from my grandmother that I wear daily, those are pretty old and I've had them for a long time.

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2020, 09:16:25 AM »
I have a soft spot for things that serve their purpose well for long periods of time, and I try to introduce as many as possible into my life. 

My favorites are: 

--Kilims from Afghanistan, Iran, and Turkey.  I bought many in the mid to late 1990s, but they were almost all old before I got them.  Hard to determine exact ages, but I would guess most were between 30 and 70 years old when purchased.  Despite regular use on the floors of my house, they will all long outlast me and serve my children and grandchildren if they want them.  At this stage, their imperfections and wear are considered "patina" that reflects "character" and "authenticity" (if only I could age so gracefully...)

--Mom's set of cast iron pans, given to me when I was starting out in the 1980s, but I think she got them as a newlywed in the 50s. 

--Orvis canvas and leather duffel bags purchased in the 1990s.  They still look great and if they ever start to wear significantly, Orvis will refurbish them at a reasonable cost. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2020, 10:05:50 AM »
I’m really enjoying this thread but having trouble thinking of my own! I have some sewing tools that I got for my 8th birthday. I don’t use them daily, only a couple times a year but I do keep them because of their utility, not because of any sentimental attachment.

A surprisingly long lasting favored possession might by my Turkish towel. I’ve only had it for perhaps 7 years, but I expect it to continue for many more. My spouse has apparently been wanting his own for years so we just purchased a multipack last week. Now he’s got one for showering and we have a couple to use for beach and picnicking and all that. We shouldn’t need any kind of towel for a long while.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2020, 12:15:22 PM »
Item passed down to me--my grandmother's cast irons skillets. I got them 15 years ago, after she passed at 90. I have no idea how long she had them, but I know she and my grandfather lived with my grandfather's parents for several years when married, so they could be from that era, c. 1920.
Item I made--a cloth apron I made in my first 4-H* sewing project. A little faded, but still does an admirable job of protecting my clothing while cooking. It's over 3 decades old now and should last 3 more!

*service organization for kids that was very popular in small towns/rural areas in the Midwest US in the last century

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2020, 01:26:56 PM »
4-H is still alive and well

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »
I think 1/3 of my furnishings are old from family.  Oldest is my grandparents' bedroom furniture (now my bedroom furniture), so early 1900s, I've had it since 1975.  I also have my grandmother's cast iron frying pan and corning ware cornflower baking dishes but they aren't that old.  They all get used.  I have some crystal vases from my other grandmother but they only get used when I have cut flowers.  I also have a fair bit of furniture from my parents, but nothing as old as the things from my grandparents.

One of my oldest possessions that I actually bought is the spinning wheel I bought new in the late 70s.  My favourite wheel. My second favourite wheel was bought in about 2010, but it was made in the 1930s.  Both Canadian wheels.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2020, 10:10:15 AM »
Oh lots of stuff:
oak dining chairs made by wife's grandfather in 1920s, used daily.
my own grandfather's screwdrivers, hammers, etc. from the 1930s, used regularly.
And so on, in the household dept. . . .

Krups coffee grinder I bought in 1980s, used daily since, seems to work fine.
All our stereo stuff is old: 1980s receiver bought last year (to replace original 80s amp) and turntable from the 80s, speakers from 90s, all used daily.  CD player from the 90s. All sounds really good.

Bikes! Road bike, hand made in 1980s, used daily in summer since then; Japan-built 1985 mountain bike, bought a few years back, used daily in winter . . . and some other old bikes used from time to time.
Guitars, all old except a gift one from recently. Newer ain't better.
We vastly prefer a good-condition, well-maintained old thing, to a new thing.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2020, 10:21:38 AM »
Musical instruments.

I've got a violin that's a hundred and twenty, a mandolin that's a hundred years old, and a piano that's about a hundred and ten.  They all get occasional use.

Oldest pieces of clothing that still gets regular include a toque that I've had since grade six (still my go to winter hat after more than a quarter century), and a leather belt I got in grade three that is still perfectly functional.

LetItGrow

• Stubble
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2020, 06:49:04 PM »
I was expecting some good forty year old keys from people who never move.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2020, 06:55:00 PM »
I was expecting some good forty year old keys from people who never move.

I have a 49 year old key to a car, but it's not a daily driver.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2020, 11:49:45 AM »
All sorts of antiques at our house. I like that a person who is motivated can sometimes buy the best of a few years ago for dollars rather than something mediocre and brand new that may not last.

I have a number of old things that I bought old and kept using. One is a late 1940s drill press. Another is my grandfather's workbench. I have a TI and an HP calculator from the 80s. Some electronics test equipment from the 1940s and 1950s. A 1960s car, a 1970s van, and a 1980s ten speed. And the list could go on...

Another benefit of some antiques: sometimes their values hold or even go up over time. Can say that about modern "disposable" things that can't be repaired and aren't particularly durable.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2020, 05:06:12 PM »
We have a book on the shelf that was written in 1927, but it gets taken out so rarely I'm not sure if you could count it here.  My wife has a t shirt she still wears almost every week from 1996.  I've been wearing a pair of jeans for 20 years, and we still have a few plates and bowls that old as well.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2020, 09:49:02 PM »
I have a number of old things that I bought old and kept using. One is a late 1940s drill press. Another is my grandfather's workbench. I have a TI and an HP calculator from the 80s. Some electronics test equipment from the 1940s and 1950s. A 1960s car, a 1970s van, and a 1980s ten speed. And the list could go on...

Another benefit of some antiques: sometimes their values hold or even go up over time. Can say that about modern "disposable" things that can't be repaired and aren't particularly durable.

I'm reminded of my grandfather's old tools and workbench. Man did they ever make stuff to last back then. Also, some of the old HP calculators are highly desirable and worth a lot now -- the ones that were made in the US.