Author Topic: What's your oldest (functional) possession?  (Read 10623 times)

ROF Expat

• Bristles
Re: What's your oldest (functional) possession?
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2020, 02:00:20 AM »
I have a soft spot for things that serve their purpose well for long periods of time, and I try to introduce as many as possible into my life. 

My favorites are: 

--Kilims from Afghanistan, Iran, and Turkey.  I bought many in the mid to late 1990s, but they were almost all old before I got them.  Hard to determine exact ages, but I would guess most were between 30 and 70 years old when purchased.  Despite regular use on the floors of my house, they will all long outlast me and serve my children and grandchildren if they want them.  At this stage, their imperfections and wear are considered "patina" that reflects "character" and "authenticity" (if only I could age so gracefully...)

--Mom's set of cast iron pans, given to me when I was starting out in the 1980s, but I think she got them as a newlywed in the 50s. 

--Orvis canvas and leather duffel bags purchased in the 1990s.  They still look great and if they ever start to wear significantly, Orvis will refurbish them at a reasonable cost.

It occurs to me that I should add my house.  It was built in the 1930s, largely from recycled material.  The bricks and stone were from a much older brewery and the front door came from a bank.  The house has been updated over the years, but never renovated because the previous owners never let it deteriorate.  It still has the original slate roof, floors, door locks, and radiators.  Even the tiling and sink in one of the bathrooms are original (I think they are on the cusp of graduating from just "old" to antique).  It does have updated wiring and windows, a new gas boiler and some modern deadbolts.  Counterbalancing the good parts of its age, it will never have modern ducting for central AC, big closets, or really efficient insulation.  We had to replace an outgoing sewage pipe (terracotta), but the plumbers who replaced it observed that you can't complain about something that lasted through 80 years of continuous use.   

Of course, our European friends here will have a very different standard of what constitutes "old" in terms of houses. 

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2020, 03:16:07 AM »
Of course, our European friends here will have a very different standard of what constitutes "old" in terms of houses.
Yeah, my father claimed that the basement of my grandparent's house had the original roman tiles still in situ (the upstairs part of the house was most obviously Tudor so only four or five hundred years old).

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2020, 09:59:31 AM »

It occurs to me that I should add my house.  It was built in the 1930s, largely from recycled material.  The bricks and stone were from a much older brewery and the front door came from a bank.  The house has been updated over the years, but never renovated because the previous owners never let it deteriorate.  It still has the original slate roof, floors, door locks, and radiators.  Even the tiling and sink in one of the bathrooms are original (I think they are on the cusp of graduating from just "old" to antique).  It does have updated wiring and windows, a new gas boiler and some modern deadbolts.  Counterbalancing the good parts of its age, it will never have modern ducting for central AC, big closets, or really efficient insulation.  We had to replace an outgoing sewage pipe (terracotta), but the plumbers who replaced it observed that you can't complain about something that lasted through 80 years of continuous use.   

Our 1940 ceramic sewer line had to be snaked out twice in the past two years ($300 each time) due to roots. After the 2nd time I dug up enough to figure out the path of the pipe and realized there was a large Crepe Myrtle tree sitting right on top of it. I cut down the tree and burned the stump. I also installed a plastic pipe cleanout near the house with a screw-on lid so that if it ever needs to be snaked again, we won’t have to remove the toilet and do all that nastiness indoors.

When I was hammering a hole into the top of the ceramic pipe to install the cleanout, it occurred to me that it was in the same condition as the day it was installed. The porcelain was still shiny and the inside was smooth and well-rinsed. It will never corrode. It just has this vulnerability to roots because the pipe sections are only a foot or two long.

So now that I know where NOT to plant trees and bushes, I expect at least another lifetime of trouble-free service from my 80 year old sewer line.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2020, 12:15:35 PM »
I have two comforters with space designs that my mom made 30-35 years ago. I used them growing up and now we have them for our kids to use - though one has a rather large rip in it. Also, the stuffing inside has probably been replaced a few times.

All of my Lego from when I was a kid my kids now play with. They're also 30+ years old as there are some that my older brother got before I was old enough to play with them. Same with Duplo blocks.

I have a t-shirt that I just wore today that's about 10-11 years old. I've worn/washed it easily hundreds of times but it's finally starting to fray along some of the seams and get a few small holes. It's green and says Dublin on it and is super soft and comfortable.

Someday I'd like to get some of my dad's old tools. He's got a big solid metal vice that's easily 40-50 years old and some other tools like a big wrench that my grandfather supposedly stole from the shipyard he worked at during WW2. He also has a 1950s Jaguar sports car that was his first car (bought used in the 1960s) that he's restored and still drives around sometimes.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2020, 12:53:22 PM »
I still have and use the towel that my paternal grandmother embroidered my name on, when I was born. Surprisingly enough it is still perfect, while other newer towels have already shredded and frayed. That's the thing I've owned the longest.   

But the oldest things I own are all inherited and are much older than I am. I inherited my maternal grandmothers sewing machine and needle book when she died in 2009. Both come originally from the early 80s and I use them a lot and they still work great. Also a 70s toaster for bread and citrus press (in fabulous 70s orange!) is used almost daily by us, both came from our respective grandma's too.

But I think the oldest thing I own are the 'speculaas press planks'. In the Netherlands we have a cookie called 'speculaas' that is pressed in a certain cookie dough mould, I still have my fathers old moulds originating from the 50s, which they used in the bakery.

Oh! And we also have a microwave with 9 lives. In the year my maternal grandmother passed, I went to college and  got a place on my own. That's how I ended up with so much of her household items in the first place. I could use them really well, no one else in the family had any need for them and so I took them with me. Among them was a microwave, which got a second live in the 'sorority house' I moved into. When I moved out after a couple of years, the microwave stayed there, since I didn't need it at my new place. Two years later, my friend and former roommate, asked if I wanted that microwave back? Or if not, could she move it with her?
Yes, of course. And so began it's 3rd life. But when she moved into a new home, with a build-in microwave last winter, she also didn't have a need for it anymore. By then my parents had divorced and my mom could really use a microwave. So now she has her mothers microwave back, who is currently on it's 4th life!

texxan1

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2020, 06:18:20 AM »
i got an original bose wave radio cd player in 1990... first thing i baught on my fancy visa card.. Thanks US military lol.... thing still jams to this day.... that and my circa 1985 hair clippers.. not paid for a haircut since

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2020, 02:13:57 PM »
I wear a cardigan that I made 40 years ago while I was in college.  I couldn’t afford the one in the campus gift shop so I made my own.  It’s threadbare, full of holes, and looks terrible.  I threw it away once but luckily came to my senses and retrieved it. 

FIREsigns

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2020, 10:16:56 PM »
I have a few I can think of:

A double-sized pure wool blanket that was a wedding gift to my parents in 1947. They used it until 1975, and I've had it since. The satin edging is worn off now, but it's used from September to May each year in my Boston house, and it's tossed into the washer once each year. Softest thing going. Beautiful.

My Minolta SR-T 101 camera, bought by me in 1972 after I borrowed one belonging to my crazy college freshman roommate. Tougher to find and develop film than it used to be, but so worth it!

A handmade red cotton cableknit sweater made by a family friend for my brother in 1965, but he didn't like it. I grabbed it (I was 12), and wore it regularly until about two years ago, when I gave it to my now 21 y.o. daughter, who wears it regularly. It's still gorgeous, and if you didn't know better, you'd guess it was made within the past couple of years.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2020, 01:44:00 AM »
I have my grandfather’s cameras, from the early 1900s, but I only got them ten years ago, from my father. They take flat film and have individual cassettes for each picture. And my great great grandparents bed.

One of my prized possessions is a spinning wheel made specifically for me in 1973. Some years ago a friend was telling me that she’d managed to get hold of a spinning wheel made by the same person. Evidently they are very much sought after. I didn’t have the heart to tell her that I had one actually made for me by the same bloke. It was the only left handed one he ever made.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2020, 11:02:41 AM »

My 28 year old microwave is still going strong.  I actually have some older stuff, but that microwave is used a lot.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2020, 11:45:33 AM »
1980 Honda CBX,
I think I'll go for a ride today :-)

See my avatar pic to see the engine.  Inline 6 cylinder.
DG 6 into 1 pipe on it.
Also see username. 

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2020, 11:54:25 AM »
I have an IBM Model M keyboard made in 1985 that I use regularly. Such clickety-clackity goodness! It was about 20 years old when I got it. I also have a pasta strainer and some old Tupperware handed down from my parents. Those are each nearing the end of their life though.

Ethel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2020, 04:17:00 PM »
My ceramic mug that my mother bought me when I was three years old, thirty-five years ago. How it survived those early years when I used it only semi-supervised in kindergarten I'll never know.

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2020, 07:31:37 PM »
Got an Anthon's Horace published 1811 that I have read but it's not a daily thing (into Tacitus now).  A Lewis and Short Latin dictionary inscribed by Louise Chase July 7, 1901, and that does get frequent use.  We have some very elegant 19th century furniture, said to have come west in a prairie schooner, but none of the kids want it.  Our mothers-to-be as young ladies about to enter into matrimony had china patterns and silverware patterns, and spent a great deal of time and emulation building up whole sets - the young ladies of today hear of this with a kind of blank disbelief: women wanted what when they got married?  Really?  My contemporary couple friends all wonder what they'll do with that stuff - we got it from our mothers, who were believers, and stored it and stored it and never used it, and now there is none of our broods who will even accept it - or who has a house big enough to store it pointlessly for another 3 or 4 decades, as we have done.

My rifle first saw the light as a 1903A3 Springfield in 1943.  It came to me (big money - took a lot of savings - $35) in 1963.  As an iron-sight 2-groove it would hold 1.25 MOA; I remember my surprise when I picked out a rock in the Rio Grande, far below and in the distance, slid the rear sight up and held high and into the wind from my point on the cliff-edge, fired, and in something like a full second, saw rockdust rise from the rock.  Along the way the rifle gathered a sporting stock, got a primitive but determined Weaver K-4 scope, lost me the critical First Girlfriend ("I get the message.  You'd rather spend money on that rifle than see me."), has brought in many deer and elk, became the condensation nucleus for many stories, and gathered a nickname to itself: Old Flintheart.  He will still hold about 1.25 MOA.

Mike in NH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2020, 08:35:21 PM »
Most of my possessions fit into two rooms, my childhood bedroom at my dad's house in NH and my office at the house my wife bought down in Mass before we knew each other. In both rooms I have a nice wooden bookcase, one from each of my grandfathers. Kinda love the thought that even though they have been gone for years that in some way this helps them continue to share knowledge with me.

I'm 40 now, and if I remember correctly they both had these since they were kids so I'd guess they are around 100 years old, give or take. 

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2020, 10:37:42 PM »
Got an Anthon's Horace published 1811 that I have read but it's not a daily thing (into Tacitus now).  A Lewis and Short Latin dictionary inscribed by Louise Chase July 7, 1901, and that does get frequent use. 

I have a small collection of books printed in the late 19th/early 20th centuries (some were gifts, some I found at used book sales). It's hard to pin down the dates as some have the year in Roman numerals and one doesn't have a year of publication at all. Didn't think to add them though, as they mostly sit on the shelf.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2020, 01:28:48 AM »
After a quick snoop around my room...

- A collection of 4-5 pairs of Adidas polyester shorts that have been in circulation in my closet for the last 15 years.  They're basically indestructible. I wear them all the time - for sleeping, exercising, and lounging around the house, and there's no visible wear or tear.  I'll probably still be wearing them another fifteen years from now.

- My ipod nano, also about fifteen years old.  Admittedly, it doesn't hold a charge for longer than 10 minutes anymore, but it works fine plugged into my car USB and is good for a jaunt down memory lane, listening to my favorite high school tunes.

- A battered old styrafoam wig head with a hideous angry face drawn on in sharpie - stolen(??) from another costumer who left it carelessly in our hotel room during an event.  When I was still regularly doing costume work, I styled a lot of wigs on it.  At least 10 years old.

- My gym duffel from 7th grade. :)  Regularly gets pulled out for day trips and vacations.

This is a fun challenge.  It's nice, almost... comforting? to think about the objects that I own and how well they've served me over the years.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2020, 11:33:45 AM »
While we use our wedding Corelle from 36 years ago, some of it is newer, but I just realized my daily use pyrex pointed top salt shaker is a duplicate from my parent's wedding, and they were married 63 years ago.  The gold stripes have mostly worn off, but it still works just fine!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2020, 03:04:35 PM »
I have a chifferobe that my grandparents bought used in the 1930s.  I have no idea how old it already was then.  I keep clothes in it the same as if it were new. 

I'm also part of the cast iron club.  I have one of my great great grandmother's skillets that is from the early 1930s from what I can tell.  It's still cooking meal after meal in 2020. 

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2020, 07:17:30 PM »
So many old things, as many noted old tools hand drills and such, I have my g-g father's hand planes & transit, gg-mother's china and crystal, old family cast iron, use my m-i-l's stainless steel pots from the 60s, mother's pyrex baking dishes, clothes older than I care to mention, furniture, my old computer that still has a floppy drive (we unearthed floppies at work of authoring files I'm currently converting to cds 'cause no one else can open them).

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2020, 08:39:20 PM »
I have a pocket watch from 1785 that still works.  I didn't start using it in 1785 though.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2020, 07:38:59 AM »
I have a pocket watch from 1785 that still works.  I didn't start using it in 1785 though.

Do you still carry it and use it to tell time?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2020, 08:26:54 AM »

Do you still carry it and use it to tell time?

Not recently.  I did for awhile, as a lark, but you have to wind it all the time.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2020, 02:18:50 PM »
My grandmother's tea cups.

LetItGrow

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2020, 12:19:59 PM »
Realized a couple days ago that my mountain bike is having its 20th birthday this summer. Many thousands of miles with very little needed maintenance. Ridden daily for several years, then just regularly the rest. 75% paved miles, maybe more.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:03:57 PM by LetItGrow »

cmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2020, 06:59:01 PM »
I collect fountain pens and quality cookware, so I have lots of those items.  Many are 100 years old, but I only acquired them within the last 20 years.

The quality item I bought new and still use frequently is a pair of LLBean boots. I've had them for about 30 years, guess that's a buy-it-for-life purchase!

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2020, 07:06:26 PM »
New answer! I have a steamer trunk from the mid 1800s that belonged to a great great something and holds extra blankets these days. I guess that’s technically still in use. I have his photograph framed above it.

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2020, 07:48:51 PM »
I have a large yellow bauer bowl from the 1950's that belonged to my grandmother. I remember eating her delicious mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving out of this bowl when I was a young lad.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2020, 01:06:41 PM »
I have a large safe from the 1890s that came with the house. Previous owners said it came with the house for them too. I cannot open it but have wasted about 4 hours trying! It’s the exact same as the safe in this video, just more rusty!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9gdEuD9akRA

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2020, 01:12:16 PM »
I have a large safe from the 1890s that came with the house. Previous owners said it came with the house for them too. I cannot open it but have wasted about 4 hours trying! It’s the exact same as the safe in this video, just more rusty!

I don’t think I’d consider than functional. 

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2020, 01:51:44 PM »
I have a few for the group's enjoyment:

1.  I have a pair of boots that I bought when I was about 20.  Had to put them in lay-a-way (remember that?!?!) for almost a year they were so expensive.  I still wear them (just turned 54).  I still love them.  I still store them in the original box.
2. I have a cabinet in my bathroom that holds sheets and sundry.  I've had it for about 21 years.  All of my young life, it was in my great grandmother's bathroom holding towels and sundry.  When she moved to assisted care, I was fortunate to get the cabinet.  My grandmother then told me HER great grandmother (so my great, great, great grandmother) had the cabinet built to put her milk crocks in (think pie safe only with shelves tall enough for a milk crock).  It is probably my most prized possession.
3. Like Sam, I have a teddy bear my parents purchased for me when I was 2 for a trip to the hospital.  He sits on my shelf because he is too fragile to sleep with. 
4. I have a series of books (Rick Brant Adventure series) that have been in my possession since I was probably 8.  They belonged to my mother when she was a child.  I haven't read them in a few years because, like my teddy bear, I'm afraid they are too fragile.

I've enjoyed this thread muchly!  Thanks @waltworks for starting it!

bcbaseballman

• Stubble
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2020, 02:02:02 PM »
The oldest that I have constantly used is the chest of drawers from when I was a kid. I know I had it in the second house I ever lived in which I was around 8 years old. So I have used it everyday for 22 years now.

I also have my grandfathers old Coleman lantern that I have completely restored back into working condition. It is from 1956 and he bought it new. It does not get used every day but if I am working in the back yard at night it comes out to give me light and of course it goes with me on camping trips!

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2020, 02:45:39 PM »

Philosophical question: Is something broken if its owner is ignorant of how to use it? My parents’ cell phones work fine for me, but do they become nonfunctional when I hand them back?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2020, 03:54:57 PM »

Philosophical question: Is something broken if its owner is ignorant of how to use it? My parents’ cell phones work fine for me, but do they become nonfunctional when I hand them back?

If you look at a system holistically, something can be non-functional without being broken.  Even a perfectly working helicopter becomes non-functional with me at the cyclic/collective.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2020, 12:42:32 AM »
I have a few for the group's enjoyment:
3. Like Sam, I have a teddy bear my parents purchased for me when I was 2 for a trip to the hospital.  He sits on my shelf because he is too fragile to sleep with. 

Sometimes I wish I still had Squeakers. :(

I remembered a denim tote bag my grandmother sewed in the late 80's.  It was used as a school book bag for a bit, then was stored.  I came into possession of it about a dozen years ago when she died.  I've been using it as an overnight bag or as a knitting project bag.

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2020, 03:34:29 AM »

If you look at a system holistically, something can be non-functional without being broken.  Even a perfectly working helicopter becomes non-functional with me at the cyclic/collective.

This is worth thinking about with regard to personal archiving.  It has already happened with the enormous-volume weather records that went on tape. Now by write-through, sheer volume, obsolescence of tape readers, that data is being lost.  I can look at my and my wife's relatives for about 140 years.  On paper, as BW photos or paintings or beautifully spidery letters.  What will I do with my own family records when the power goes off?  Even if I understood the mapping of CD pits to bytes, I cannot see the pits and would need a lifetime to decode a single 4mb photo.  Analogies are worthless for many of the uses we put them to; that said I have thought of my data as of a polar bear on a berg; as the berg shrinks, the bear swims confidently to the next berg, and so in sequence, until there is no more berg within swimming distance.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #136 on: June 23, 2020, 04:16:40 AM »
Somethings I purchased myself and have used or kept since pretty limited.

I have a couple T-shirts that are in my rotation still I have had for 25-30 years one being an Orange Crush T-shirt. Its amazing to me I wear it once a week for everything and other than faded good as new.

I have a several sets of sports cards that I bought over 25 years ago still unopened I keep thinking about selling because there meaningless to me.

Not much else though every once in awhile i will find something from years back.

stashja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2020, 04:28:34 AM »
A book published in 1824. A few others go back to the 1830s and I have a significant number from the 1840s.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2020, 12:02:18 PM »
I have a wood, tabletop, tube, 2 band radio.
It was given to me as a housewarming gift when I (we) bought our house.
My father got it and repaired it when he was learning to fix TV's.   Shortly after that, color TV's came out and he couldn't afford the tools needed to fix them...
Research tells me it's late 30's, possibly early 40's.   It's pretty plain, but not totally.  The radios of the time started out very plain (just a box) and became more decorative to  appeal to buyers.
It's between the size of a toaster and a breadbox  (are those still valid size comparisons?!?).
It is AM and... microwave?  I'm not sure as the 'dial' is very faded.
It does work, but it takes a very (very) long time for the tubes to warm up!!

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2020, 10:54:05 AM »
Probably the oldest single thing I have is a rifle from 1929. I haven't been to the range in some time but it should still be functional. I inherited a bunch of tools from my grandfather that date from the 1950s and 1960s - drill press, small benchtop lathe, varied engine rebuild tools.

For things with engines, I have a small 2-cycle snowblower from the late 1970s and a 3300w generator from the early 1970s that still run. I don't use the snowblower all that often - it's small enough that any snow light enough it could be used I would rather shovel. The generator has come in handy a few times. I've had to do a fair bit of work on the fuel system to get back to life but it runs great now - loud enough to wake the dead, though.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2020, 11:30:17 AM »
Probably the oldest single thing I have is a rifle from 1929. I haven't been to the range in some time but it should still be functional. I inherited a bunch of tools from my grandfather that date from the 1950s and 1960s - drill press, small benchtop lathe, varied engine rebuild tools.

For things with engines, I have a small 2-cycle snowblower from the late 1970s and a 3300w generator from the early 1970s that still run. I don't use the snowblower all that often - it's small enough that any snow light enough it could be used I would rather shovel. The generator has come in handy a few times. I've had to do a fair bit of work on the fuel system to get back to life but it runs great now - loud enough to wake the dead, though.

You might want to put a muffler on it before the Zombie Apocalypse ;-)   All other Apocolypse's then you'll be OK.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2020, 11:38:57 AM »
I have a wood, tabletop, tube, 2 band radio.
It was given to me as a housewarming gift when I (we) bought our house.
My father got it and repaired it when he was learning to fix TV's.   Shortly after that, color TV's came out and he couldn't afford the tools needed to fix them...
Research tells me it's late 30's, possibly early 40's.   It's pretty plain, but not totally.  The radios of the time started out very plain (just a box) and became more decorative to  appeal to buyers.
It's between the size of a toaster and a breadbox  (are those still valid size comparisons?!?).
It is AM and... microwave?  I'm not sure as the 'dial' is very faded.
It does work, but it takes a very (very) long time for the tubes to warm up!!

Probably not microwave (1000Mhz+) but shortwave  5-15 MHz. Might be labeled "SW"
AM is 0.55 to 1.7 MHz.
https://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/2003-allochrt.pdf
https://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/january_2016_spectrum_wall_chart.pdf

Edit to add newer spectrum chart
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:46:40 AM by markbike528CBX »

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2020, 10:48:48 PM »
Longest owned musical instrument is an electric bass I bought in 1982, though it was made in 1967. (Vox Stinger IV) that’s probably the thing I have owned the longest that I chose for myself. Scientific calculator for algebra class in 1982 as well (Casio FX-115) still use it several times a week at work.  Clothing would probably be a Lands’ End jacket I bought in 1989. My oldest daughter frequently wears it around the house when she is cold. Baby blanket of mine that my kids still use ~50 years old.

MickeyFinn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2020, 12:06:20 PM »
Oldest items...
Wristwatches: grandfather's (~1945), father's (~1969)
Instruments: Fender lapsteel (~1960) [had a 1948 Gibson lap steel I recently sold off]
Kitchen Table & Chairs: Late 19th century English pub table (received free in my teens for helping a neighbor pack for a move to the west coast)
Straight Razor: (~1910) and yes I use it!

cupcakery

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2020, 08:37:44 AM »
Somehow I have a Cutco knife that my grandmother received for her wedding in the 1940s. I forget how I ended up with it.  I use it all the time and smile.  I also have a family bible from the 1920s.  I never look at it though. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2020, 12:45:28 AM »
@cupcakery if it is "serrated" you should be able to get that knife sharpened still.  If you request in-home sharpening, expect a hard-sell.  Sending the knife off to be sharpened costs a few dollars in shipping.  However, that is suspended currently.

https://www.cutco.com/customer/sharpening.jsp

My Cutco is among my oldest possessions, but not even close to the age of yours!!!

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2020, 03:56:20 AM »
I have a fossil trilobite on my desk I use every day as a paper weight. It is around 500 million years old. Still works.

cupcakery

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2020, 08:55:13 AM »
@cupcakery if it is "serrated" you should be able to get that knife sharpened still.  If you request in-home sharpening, expect a hard-sell.  Sending the knife off to be sharpened costs a few dollars in shipping.  However, that is suspended currently.

https://www.cutco.com/customer/sharpening.jsp

My Cutco is among my oldest possessions, but not even close to the age of yours!!!

The tip was slightly broken when I got it.  I sent it off to Cutco and they fixed it for me!  It is just a little paring knife, but sometimes it is the little things.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2020, 11:32:11 PM »
I'm going to have to go with my face.

stashja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2020, 11:37:15 PM »
A book. 4 volumes. 1839.