Author Topic: What's the craziest thing you've done in the name of frugality?  (Read 118134 times)

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
What's the craziest thing you've done in the name of frugality?
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:11:37 PM »
I often forget that most are not like me.  Especially those my age (early twenties).  Sometimes it can be lead to funny experiences or enlightening moments..

For example, once my then BF & I were making dinner.  I was cleaning the green beans & dropped one in the trash by accident.  I went in after it (it fell on top of some papers so it's not like it was dirty!) but he refused to let me rescue it :(

I wash and re-use plastic sandwich baggies.

To me that's pretty tame but most people's reactions when they find out about my ways are not so tame!

Let's hear it :)

HoneyBadger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What's the craziest thing you've done in the name of frugality?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 04:10:12 PM »
I'm a baggie washer also!  As far as I'm concerned, they're probably cleaner after I've washed them with hot water and soap than they are fresh from the (who knows how clean) factory.  Of course, there are probably many people out there convinced that they'll contract cholera from a re-used baggie.

Matte

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 04:42:40 PM »
Too many to list lol.  Probably travelling to another country twice a month to buy fuel, groceries, and pretty much everything but our veggies.  Saves lots but its nuts when you think about it.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »
Too many to list lol.  Probably travelling to another country twice a month to buy fuel, groceries, and pretty much everything but our veggies.  Saves lots but its nuts when you think about it.
Interesting. Do you live semi close to this other country?

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 04:56:36 PM »
In 1992 at age 18, I took my first trip to Europe with several friends from high school. While in France, I stopped at a little shop and purchased a diet coke. The merchant told me if I wanted to sit on his outdoor patio and drink it, it would be an extra quarter.

F-that. I took my coke and went across the street to sit on the step of some French statue. My best friend got video (from her spot outside w/everyone else who paid the fee). In her narration she's panning around w/the camera, "Here we are at such-and-such cafe...there's the Eiffel Tower...there's the Louvre...oh and there's my friend, Fartface, across the street. She refused to pay a quarter to sit here with us on the patio..."

And there's me, sitting on the step, enjoying my refreshing diet coke, getting shit on by pigeons. I showed him.

Matte

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »
Only half an hour from the states, but it is crazy crossing an international border to buy stuff cheaper.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 06:24:02 PM »
If a letter arrived and the stamp wasn't canceled, I would steam off the stamp and use it again. I would also go to the utility company to pay my bill in person rather than use up a stamp. At the time, I was living on very little and every penny counted. Not fun-crazy, just hyper frugal.

30 years later, I'm glad that it's no longer worth my time to go down to the utility company and stand in line to save 30 cents (or whatever it was back then).

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 08:44:22 PM »
I clipped coupons like crazy and used them as currency to "buy" non-perishable products when they were free.  I did it consistently for about 6 years and built a pretty nice stockpile which we're still using.  I retired my scissors a few months before DH FIREd.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 09:58:38 PM »
Every time I drive to work, I turn off my engine at least a half mile down the street from the parking lot.  The perks of no power steering.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 11:21:06 PM »
Oh, I'm a baggie washer too. I've told part of this story elsewhere on the forum, but there's a new chapter. Last Thanksgiving, my brother was in my kitchen. He grabbed all my re-used baggies and threw them away, in front of 2 other sibs, all of them laughing...

Fast forward eight months. He is about to close on a new home and the lender asked for a bunch of bullshit on the morning of the closing day. The seller's moving van was packed to go and they had already given my bro the keys. So I got a phone call. "Hey Sis, can you by any chance wire me 230k so I can make this loan close today?

Felt pretty damn great to say yes. Don't worry, he paid me back within the week. But he'll never touch my recycled plastic bags again! He sent a card afterwards, thanking me for being the most "fiscally responsible" sibling.

No facepunches for having that much cash on hand. We had just sold a house and were in the midst of preparing armies of green soldiers for re-deployment, but he didn't know that.

Cecil

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 11:27:50 PM »
I don't understand why washing and reusing ziplock bags is widely considered such a "crazy frugal" thing to do. It pays me more than my full-time job!

Freezer bags at my local grocery store cost $4 for a 20-pack - that's $0.20 each. It takes me about 10 seconds per bag to wash, rinse, and put it away.

So washing freezer bags makes me $72/hour. Sandwich bags are cheaper, so I probably only earn about $25/hour or so for those.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 12:07:15 AM »
I'm 29 weeks pregnant and still biking to work (4.25 miles each way, flat) every day.  I don't think it's crazy, but my coworkers do.  I think they're crazy for paying $3.50/gallon for gas (or more, I don't actually know what gas costs lately).

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 12:15:10 AM »
Not exactly in the name of frugality but necessity, I carried a new computer (tower) home which is a 30 minute walk. Although being frugal is why I don't have a car. The woman asked if I'd be ok walking it to the car and I said actually I was walking it home she looked like I'd grown a second head.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 03:53:13 AM »
I used to address letters to myself, then clearly put the intended recipient's address in the "from" area.  I would drop them in the mail in Houston with no stamp.  The US Postal Service would stamp them "insufficient postage" and dutifully "return" them to, say, my sister in California.

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 04:24:51 AM »
I used to address letters to myself, then clearly put the intended recipient's address in the "from" area.  I would drop them in the mail in Houston with no stamp.  The US Postal Service would stamp them "insufficient postage" and dutifully "return" them to, say, my sister in California.

ingenious. when at college my uncle used to ring us from pay phones without putting coins in. this meant the phone rang but we couldn't hear anything so would do redial to ring back and he'd get a free call.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 08:16:21 AM »
I'm 29 weeks pregnant and still biking to work (4.25 miles each way, flat) every day.  I don't think it's crazy, but my coworkers do.  I think they're crazy for paying $3.50/gallon for gas (or more, I don't actually know what gas costs lately).

I have never understood the "you're pregnant, take it easy" mindset.  For goodness sake, you're in training for a marathon!   Stay fit and strong so you're ready for the hardest job of your life.

I had my two the old-fashioned way.  Certified Nurse Midwife, at home, no drugs.  The first labor clocked in at 18 hours.  The second at 19.5.  Best two days of my life, birthing those two, but it was hard work and I'm glad I trained for it!

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 01:54:38 PM »
I don't think theft-of-services is in the spirit of frugality.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »
It's not crazy, per se, but I water house plants using 1/2 full, leftover glasses of water (filtered through the fridge, NEVER store bought water) instead of pouring them down the drain.

Also, years ago, I started keeping the master bedroom and closet lights off during my pre-office morning preening.  Figure at least 30 minutes x 5 days a week = 2.5 hours a week....

I rinse dishes, stack them next to the sink, turn off the water and THEN load the dishwasher.

Insurance deductibles have been increased, our mortgage interest rate was reduced by half earlier this year, energy vampires are unplugged, I do (color) my own hair, and work out at home instead of belonging to a gym.

Pulled the land line and internet (DH pays for satellite-if it were up to me, we'd pull that, too).  I'm a couponer, including my booze, and I no longer by CDs/DVDs (though DH still buys the latter, I just smile politely, knowing my retirement fund is happier because I don't).

Instead of going out, we invite friends over to BBQ.

Total annual savings, prior to the home refinance was over $11,500.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:12:37 PM by MountainGal »

JPinDC

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 02:27:01 PM »
F-that. I took my coke and went across the street to sit on the step of some French statue. My best friend got video (from her spot outside w/everyone else who paid the fee). In her narration she's panning around w/the camera, "Here we are at such-and-such cafe...there's the Eiffel Tower...there's the Louvre...oh and there's my friend, Fartface, across the street. She refused to pay a quarter to sit here with us on the patio..."

I've been to Paris twice and this just reminded me of how, the second time, I promised myself I could pay for the elevator on the Eiffel Tower instead of taking the stairs. Couldn't make myself do it.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 02:34:49 PM »
when at college my uncle used to ring us from pay phones without putting coins in. this meant the phone rang but we couldn't hear anything so would do redial to ring back and he'd get a free call.

I used to know of international students who could not afford to make the call back to the home country to let their parents/family know that they had arrived.

So, they would place a collect call to the family member called "Reached Safely" (in their language, not english)
The other end would get the message and refuse the collect call.

This was before the internet era, so I am sure that this does not happen any more. You can get around this with skype, email etc.

fuzzhead1506

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 02:55:03 PM »
walked 13 miles to save a $30 cab fare from the airport to my hotel. in july.... in Omaha....

;)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 03:00:47 PM »
It comes so natural I don't even notice crazy anymore!  Ask my wife, she can probably tell you...

Sunnysof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
Slept on a door on milk crates for one year at college rather than pay for a bed plus the delivery cost. Didn't have a truck or other means of transport at the time. A door with camping mattress and bits of carpet underneath.

domustachesgrowinhouston

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 10:02:49 PM »
I live in houston, so its a tossup between biking to work (most bike unfriendly city ive been in, my wife thinks im crazy) and leaving the air conditioner off during the summer (my friends think im crazy).

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 05:57:45 PM »
Carved scrap wood blocks for closet doorknobs when we bought our home 20+ years ago.  Still using them.  Collected recyclables and scrap metal to buy first car.  Line dry laundry year round for 26 years.   

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 01:22:02 AM »

I have never understood the "you're pregnant, take it easy" mindset.  For goodness sake, you're in training for a marathon!   Stay fit and strong so you're ready for the hardest job of your life.

I had my two the old-fashioned way.  Certified Nurse Midwife, at home, no drugs.  The first labor clocked in at 18 hours.  The second at 19.5.  Best two days of my life, birthing those two, but it was hard work and I'm glad I trained for it!

I don't get it, either.  I had a neighbor ask me, "Is that still working okay?" referring to my bike + belly.  Well... yeah, I mean, I don't pedal with my uterus, and I'm not housing a fetus in my calves, so I don't see what one has to do with the other.

At work, I get a lot of, "I can't believe you're still biking!" and one "That looks like torture."  To which I reply, "I can't believe you pay $3.50+ for gas!"  Smile and move on...

I'm having this one in the hospital with a CNM.  Home birth was my first choice, but would have been $4K, all out of pocket, which is a bit much for my tiny bit of stubble.  But my midwives are awesome, and the hospital is also where I work, and has a great reputation for being non-intervention-y, so I'm feeling really good about it.

M4111

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 06:39:08 AM »
Only half an hour from the states, but it is crazy crossing an international border to buy stuff cheaper.

I guess it's only considered crazy on the other side of the Atlantic:-) In Luxembourg, where I currently live, it's what everybody does - ppl live in Belgium, France or Germany but drive/take a train to work in Luxembourg each day. People from Lux go grocery shopping in Germany and everybody else comes to Lux to buy gas, alcohol and cigarettes which are much cheaper:) And it's not even about the fact that we don't need a passport anymore to cross these borders. In my hometown in Poland (40 km from the border with Belarus) 30% of the cars in supermarket parking lots have belarussian license plates:)

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 07:32:32 AM »

I don't get it, either.  I had a neighbor ask me, "Is that still working okay?" referring to my bike + belly.  Well... yeah, I mean, I don't pedal with my uterus, and I'm not housing a fetus in my calves, so I don't see what one has to do with the other.

At work, I get a lot of, "I can't believe you're still biking!" and one "That looks like torture."  To which I reply, "I can't believe you pay $3.50+ for gas!"  Smile and move on...

I'm having this one in the hospital with a CNM.  Home birth was my first choice, but would have been $4K, all out of pocket, which is a bit much for my tiny bit of stubble.  But my midwives are awesome, and the hospital is also where I work, and has a great reputation for being non-intervention-y, so I'm feeling really good about it.

That's awesome!  Birth is just about the most personal thing we do and everyone has to do it in a way that feels right to them.  Good luck!

Lizzard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 08:18:09 AM »
In Switzerland you must pay for refuse collection. Prices vary, but it's about 5 CHF for something the size of a US garbage bag. So, when we'd grocery shop, we'd open stuff and throw away as much packaging as we could at the store (before loading into the charming saddle baskets on the bikes).

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 09:01:21 AM »

Wow! I wish my 21 week pregnant wife would bicycle, I can't get her to do anything :( she just lays around the house.

TurtleMarkets

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 09:02:14 AM »
An experiment in frugality was only eating once a day, but going to a buffet. I would eat as much as I could for 5-7 dollars depending on the buffet. No time used to cook and clean. No time spent shopping for groceries. Turned out that i was very unhealthy and I didnt feel so great most of the time after. Too keep it cheap I went to lunch buffets and a lot of Inidan ones.

2Optimists

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 10:02:44 AM »

DoMustachesGrowInHouston, how do you keep your house dry with out the ac in the summer?  The humidity is brutal and if I keep it above 79, everything is damp.  (Sorry - haven't figured out how to quote yet.)

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 10:39:46 AM »

Wow! I wish my 21 week pregnant wife would bicycle, I can't get her to do anything :( she just lays around the house.

eek. wouldn't let her hear you saying that!! pregnancy affects different women different and even the same woman can react differently to a second/third etc pregnancy.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 11:18:31 AM »
I live in houston, so its a tossup between biking to work (most bike unfriendly city ive been in, my wife thinks im crazy) and leaving the air conditioner off during the summer (my friends think im crazy).

I live here also... Add me to the list who think you're crazy. (Atleast on the biking part)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »

Keep biking!  I biked well into my 7th month, until it got icy and dangerous here, with my doc's blessing.  The only problem I had was that my bike has me leaning forward, so I couldn't breathe as well and ended up pushing up the palms of my hands to get a bit more space.
After I couldn't bike anymore, I still walked a lot, including my commute to/from work.  It was 1/2 an hour, and up a steep hill on the way there.  I did that even up to my last day of work, 3 days before my due date.  It's healthy for both you and baby so don't let the naysayers talk you out of it. 
I really just wanted to let you know that you're not crazy, and you're not doing anything that's going to hurt you or the baby.  You'll know if it gets unsafe.
Congrats on the baby!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2014, 12:08:41 PM »
About 10 years ago I was working on the Magnificent Mile in Chicago, my first job out of college.  My company was closing it's doors and I asked if I could take an old brown leather computer chair home with me.  At one point, it was probably the crème de la crème of chairs, but by now it was probably 20+ years old and had a few tears in the seat so it was just going to get thrown away.  Luckily, the answer was yes, but it had to be gone that same day.  That didn't leave me enough time to arrange a ride, so if I wanted it, I needed to lug it home with me.  I thought I could wheel it down the sidewalk, but it was winter and the plastic wheels were not happy with the cold and salt and I didn't want them to be ruined.  So I hoisted that thing up on my head (and it's heavy because it's old) and carried it 6 blocks to the EL train, and then another mile from my stop to my apartment.  My neck and head were pretty sore by the time I made it home, but it's a great chair.  Still have it to this day.  I can still remember some of the looks I got from people when they saw a guy in a tie walking down the Mag Mile carrying a chair on his head.  I wasn't even that Mustacian back then, I just knew I wanted that chair!

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 12:51:35 PM »
Sometimes I don't feel like biking but I don't want to pay $2 for the bus either, so I'll walk to work.  It takes an hour plus the Bart commute plus the walk to the Bart station.  If I leave at 5:40am I can get to work at 8am.  I don't mind the walk and can listen to audiobooks or podcasts, whatever.  But everyone is always surprised that I'd choose to walk that long as well as on the way home.

domustachesgrowinhouston

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2014, 02:39:14 PM »

DoMustachesGrowInHouston, how do you keep your house dry with out the ac in the summer?  The humidity is brutal and if I keep it above 79, everything is damp.  (Sorry - haven't figured out how to quote yet.)

Oddly enough, we didn't even mean to quit using it.  We just said, "we'll leave it off until we get uncomfortable".  We acclimated.  Usually the only days it does get overly uncomfortable, it's not the heat but the humidity.  We'll shut up the windows and run the AC for a cycle - 15 minutes or so - makes an immediate and substantial improvement.  My Nest tells me we used it about 5 hours total in August (we tend to run it an hour or so when Mom comes by, who is not acclimated, otherwise it'd be about 2 hours for August).  I guess saying we quit using it isn't accurate, better to say we've severely restricted our usage.

domustachesgrowinhouston

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2014, 02:46:40 PM »

I live here also... Add me to the list who think you're crazy. (Atleast on the biking part)

I avoid the main thoroughfares as much as possible and go on blind faith.  And I remember a guy around here who always used to ride his bike right on a main throroughfare, with a broomstick through the handles, with bags of cans tied to the broomstick.  He never seemed to get hit.  Although, come to think of it, I haven't seen him in a while now...

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2014, 02:55:17 PM »

Different women weather pregnancy differently.  I have 6 and every one was different and with some I had MUCH more energy than with others.  With a couple I was ill for much of the early 1/2 of the pg...so if I was you I would certainly cut the lady some slack.  Unless you are just a troll?

genselecus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2014, 05:48:59 PM »
An experiment in frugality was only eating once a day, but going to a buffet. I would eat as much as I could for 5-7 dollars depending on the buffet. No time used to cook and clean. No time spent shopping for groceries. Turned out that i was very unhealthy and I didnt feel so great most of the time after. Too keep it cheap I went to lunch buffets and a lot of Inidan ones.

Awesome.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2014, 06:09:48 PM »
I walk to the airport. For some reason that comes off as crazy to people! It's only a mile away.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »

FWIW, my CNM recommended against biking after around 20 weeks because of balance issues with a changing center of gravity. It sounds like the objections you were hearing were more about the idea of doing anything more strenuous than lifting the ice cream scoop, which is obviously ridiculous, but there might be a nugget of truth in there somewhere.

A little nugget, maybe, but I think it depends on the woman.  My CNM is cool with it, and I don't feel any difference, balance-wise.  I did a lot of biking before pregnancy, so I'm quite used to it.  The way I see it is, my center of gravity doesn't change overnight, and I've adapted to the change gradually, as I've been biking the whole time.  Anyway, I don't have a driver's license, so there aren't a lot of alternatives.  ;)

SisterX has a point with the breathing thing, though.  I definitely get out of breath more easily, and leaning forward on the bike is uncomfortable sometimes.  But I've slowed down, I try to sit a little more upright, etc., and it's not more than a little annoying.  I'm sure my first ride post-baby will feel amazing, though, just from not having all the extra weight, and finally having room to breathe.

FWIW, co-workers thought I was crazy for biking well before pregnancy.  This just adds another layer to it.  But I feel great, I'm not having any difficulties, so I'm going to keep it up!

lynnie0921

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I love me some MMM
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2014, 08:11:49 PM »

I live in Houston too...omg without air!!  It's like, get ready in the morning for work and all is good and then open the front door and you are wet....AARGH!!  I try to justify with wearing short in Dec, that's cool. 

lynnie0921

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I love me some MMM
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2014, 08:24:02 PM »
There are two things that stick out the most...

To save on my prescription for Advair since I don't have insurance, I ordered a generic online (yes, I had a prescription) and it cost me $108 for a 3 month supply vs $1050 at the local pharmacy.

Second, I ordered eyeglasses online (US company) and they were 20.60 for a complete pair, single vision with antireflective coating.  Liked them so much I ordered another pair and also some sunglasses (prescription) $30 for both (saved shipping).

I am a waitress and I want to be FI.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2014, 08:31:39 PM »
I walk to the airport. For some reason that comes off as crazy to people! It's only a mile away.

You blew my mind with the first sentence. I mean I guess since it's only a mile away that's not so astonishing.

But I guess on a more practical matter - you can actually walk to the airport? All the airports I've been to (aside from the dinky little airport with literally only 1 security checkpoint and 6 gates at my undergrad university's town) you can't actually walk to. As in, there's literally no sidewalk you can use to walk to the airport. There are only highways and public transport to them.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2014, 08:32:14 PM »
My family seems to think that washing my hair with baking soda is the craziest thing. My mother was so moved by my reluctance to spend $15-$20 on natural shampoo and conditioner (thus the baking soda) that she sent me $500 toward our recent moving expenses. Which I appreciate, and I wrote a very nice note, but I'm still using baking soda :-).

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2014, 11:04:35 PM »

You blew my mind with the first sentence. I mean I guess since it's only a mile away that's not so astonishing.

But I guess on a more practical matter - you can actually walk to the airport? All the airports I've been to (aside from the dinky little airport with literally only 1 security checkpoint and 6 gates at my undergrad university's town) you can't actually walk to. As in, there's literally no sidewalk you can use to walk to the airport. There are only highways and public transport to them.

Yeah, there's no "obvious" way to do it - I just darted across a few lanes of traffic and through a parking garage and was able to manage. They actually want you to take this free shuttle bus to get in, but it only runs once every hour and is inconvenient. Much faster to just walk.

I've walked to both domestic and international flights from my apartment. I just have a backpack and rolling luggage. I'm a fast walker, and I honestly prefer walking.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2014, 05:42:13 AM »
I didn't have a car one summer at my job on Cape Cod. I needed to get to Palm beach for my winter job. There was a six week gap....I rode my bicycle. It only cost me $160.00 [1983]

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2014, 05:50:33 AM »
I didn't have a car one summer at my job on Cape Cod. I needed to get to Palm beach for my winter job. There was a six week gap....I rode my bicycle. It only cost me $160.00 [1983]

Well, I don't think it quite cost only $160. By deciding to bike over 6 weeks instead of driving or flying there, you had to eat along the trip. Unless you only ate food from grocery stores along the whole trip, you incurred more eating out food costs than if you drove or flew. And over 6 weeks that can really add up.
But if you managed to only eat food from groceries, congrats!