Author Topic: What's the craziest thing you've done in the name of frugality?  (Read 117980 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's the craziest thing you've done in the name of frugality?
« Reply #300 on: December 18, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »
Turning off the water while brushing my teeth just to save on the water bill.    Assuming 5 gallons for a typical brushing period of time if the water ran, at $3.05 for 1000 gallons, I save $.02.   I've now gifted each of you that $.02 here!  ;-)

But you brush your teeth at least once every day.  That's $7.30/yr, or about 61 cents/month.  Using MMM's calculations* that monthly waste could translate into $105 in your investment account after a decade.  IMO it's crazy to waste water without even considering the financial implications.

*https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/15/getting-started-3-eliminate-short-termitis-the-bankruptcy-disease/

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #301 on: December 18, 2017, 12:38:28 PM »
I moved cross country using a bike trailer and USPS general delivery.  I did wimp out and hire a truck on the other end since I had to pick it all up before the 30 day general delivery window was up.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #302 on: December 19, 2017, 07:10:50 AM »
Oh, and ask me about my bigger-than-my-mortgage sized debt after 11 years of university, or what would happen to me financially if I were to ever get injured or ill, or what I spend annually on physiotherapy to lessen the damage that this job does to my body.

If it’s not too personal, I’m really curious about the nature of the physiotherapy and what about your job causes the need for it.

As an attorney I feel like I can also commiserate with you on a lot of these points. We are here to help people be proactive and no one uses us that way, it’s always reactive, and our “best result” (at least for me in defense) is that the client pays a bunch of money to feel exactly like they did when they walked in, not realizing the magnitude of suck they just avoided. And very rare gratitude because the only thing they notice is the lighter wallet. Not to mention the addiction, suicide rates, stress, and physical deterioration we fight daily.

I’m off my soapbox now but just wanted to say that I feel your pain.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #303 on: December 19, 2017, 11:41:26 AM »
I hang out with a bunch of young dentists regularly. They talk shop *all the time*. It's a huge part of their identity.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #304 on: December 19, 2017, 12:27:50 PM »
Oh, and ask me about my bigger-than-my-mortgage sized debt after 11 years of university, or what would happen to me financially if I were to ever get injured or ill, or what I spend annually on physiotherapy to lessen the damage that this job does to my body.

If it’s not too personal, I’m really curious about the nature of the physiotherapy and what about your job causes the need for it.

As an attorney I feel like I can also commiserate with you on a lot of these points. We are here to help people be proactive and no one uses us that way, it’s always reactive, and our “best result” (at least for me in defense) is that the client pays a bunch of money to feel exactly like they did when they walked in, not realizing the magnitude of suck they just avoided. And very rare gratitude because the only thing they notice is the lighter wallet. Not to mention the addiction, suicide rates, stress, and physical deterioration we fight daily.

I’m off my soapbox now but just wanted to say that I feel your pain.

+1  I'm an insurance agent.  While not the same magnitude as a dentist, I understand having professional suggestions being ignored, charging folks money (which prices we cannot control), to hopefully bring them back to where they were before the "incident", and the being a certain type of crazy to have chosen this profession.

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #305 on: December 20, 2017, 02:32:06 AM »
Turning off the water while brushing my teeth just to save on the water bill.    Assuming 5 gallons for a typical brushing period of time if the water ran, at $3.05 for 1000 gallons, I save $.02.   I've now gifted each of you that $.02 here!  ;-)
It might seem like a crazy way to save money, but it's better for the environment not to waste water. This practice is normal everywhere water is scarce, therefore  it does not qualify as "crazy".

One can also keep a bucket near the shower to collect water while it's heating up before showers.  Use that for plant watering or other things.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #306 on: December 20, 2017, 03:54:24 AM »
It might seem like a crazy way to save money, but it's better for the environment not to waste water. This practice is normal everywhere water is scarce, therefore  it does not qualify as "crazy".
One can also keep a bucket near the shower to collect water while it's heating up before showers.  Use that for plant watering or other things.

Definitely do save water when you can. We are spoiled living in a place where you can just turn on the faucet and here comes clean drinkable water 24x7.

Many years ago we had a guest visiting from Asia. In his area, water is only available at night. And these are water that have to boiled for drinking purpose. Once seeing that you can turn on the faucet and we got water with pretty good pressure, this person proceed to filled up our bathtub to the top.  I asked why, he was like, you got water now, you should save them incase it does not come back on. Got to explain that we have water anytime we want here in the US. Also in his home, apparently he has a tub built-in to store water in the bathroom, so that is why he filled up our bathtub.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #307 on: December 20, 2017, 05:59:25 AM »

And that's not crazy either.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #308 on: December 22, 2017, 05:54:19 AM »
Oh I finally have one to add! It happened last year but I forgot about it. I was travelling home for the holidays, and went to check into my flight, and my carry on luggage was 2kg over the limit. I decided to save the $50(!!!) I layered up on the unseasonably warm Canadian December day. Finally got my carry on under the limit. Once I went through security I re-organized my life and put everything back in my bag....but I was foiled! The same check in attendent was now the boarding agent, and she told me, my luggage had to be the same weight as at check in or I would have to pay a $75 (!!!!) door check fee. So I had to unload all my stuff AGAIN and boarded the plane with my 18 layers on.  I was so smug when I walked on to that plane past the check in attendant.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #309 on: December 22, 2017, 06:50:24 AM »
This was all for a less than 1 hr local flight. They were pretty strict at that tiny airport! 

tinylittlemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #310 on: December 22, 2017, 12:28:27 PM »
Public transportation isn't a huge thing in Texas in a lot of places so I get a lot of weird reactions when I say I ride the train to the airport. Why don't you just Uber?!? Why don't you park there?! Well, Uber is like $32 one way and parking is like $10 a day. The train is $2 for a 2-hour pass with student ID (one way).

I don't think it's weird at all...? 

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #311 on: December 22, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »
Oh I finally have one to add! It happened last year but I forgot about it. I was travelling home for the holidays, and went to check into my flight, and my carry on luggage was 2kg over the limit. I decided to save the $50(!!!) I layered up on the unseasonably warm Canadian December day. Finally got my carry on under the limit. Once I went through security I re-organized my life and put everything back in my bag....but I was foiled! The same check in attendent was now the boarding agent, and she told me, my luggage had to be the same weight as at check in or I would have to pay a $75 (!!!!) door check fee. So I had to unload all my stuff AGAIN and boarded the plane with my 18 layers on.  I was so smug when I walked on to that plane past the check in attendant.
That's such a pain for you, but it makes a hilarious story. Taking all the stuff on and off twice :')

I would be so tempted, as walking onto that plane, asking that check in attendant if my luggage has to be the same weight as I am coming off the plane.

Good for you!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #312 on: December 23, 2017, 12:20:52 AM »
I think that agent was messing with you. Think about all the crap they sell in airport gift stores, after you pass through security.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: January 13, 2018, 01:32:33 PM »
Guess how people react when I tell them I BIKE to the airport at 6 AM (in Boston, so not as bad as Texas, public transportation was totally acceptable there :p)

Our airport has no legal way to access the main terminal by bike.  We did actually look into it for my boyfriends last business trip.  The only legal way is to go to the smaller farther terminal and take the light rail, at which point you might as well just take the light rail all the way IMO.

Lan Mandragoran

• Bristles
« Reply #314 on: January 16, 2018, 09:56:23 AM »
Spent 4 hours sawing through a piece of metal in a tiny tiny cramped cabinet partly upside down I was trying to do some plumbing work that I had no experience for/tools for. Saved me 100 bucks tho so w/e ;P .

Also... put on a new shingle roof... that was an epic 3-4 days.

Nurse_Nash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #315 on: January 16, 2018, 02:57:10 PM »
Not crazy, but different for anyone who eats at my house:

I don't use papertowels.
I purchased napkins for cheap or reuse old hand towels to clean counters/house.  Saves me from killing the environment and purchasing papertowels.

I walked 4.5 miles home from clinicals one rotation. I was fortunate to have a site so close for my School. But I did not own a bike. Atthe time I still had my SUV, but I couldn't fathom driving 4.5 miles to a hospital and pay $5-6/day for garage parking for the day. Or sitting in traffic in the morning. So I walked to and from. I guess you could call it "Run-Commuting." If it rained, my BF dropped me off and I ran home in the rain.

-Nash

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #316 on: January 16, 2018, 05:12:55 PM »
I'm 29 weeks pregnant and still biking to work (4.25 miles each way, flat) every day.  I don't think it's crazy, but my coworkers do.  I think they're crazy for paying $3.50/gallon for gas (or more, I don't actually know what gas costs lately).

Yep 23 weeks here, and still biking occasionally, we have a bit more winter then you do in NC...
Hopefully I can keep at it So I can up the days when the weather gets a bit better in 6 weeks or so.

Yep coworkers think I am crazy, but even crazier when they realize when I don’t bike I walk. (2 miles each way)

RusticBohemian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #317 on: January 16, 2018, 07:59:22 PM »
The no air conditioning in the Houston summer amazes me. I live in Austin and in August it can get close to 100 in my condo, with only a limited breeze from my windows. I've sat shirtless in shorts at my desk and still been dripping with sweat.

I live in houston, so its a tossup between biking to work (most bike unfriendly city ive been in, my wife thinks im crazy) and leaving the air conditioner off during the summer (my friends think im crazy).

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #318 on: January 18, 2018, 02:13:56 PM »
This week, the craziest thing I did was bike to Walmart. Which is fine, but then halfway through I forgot we had biked and told Big Brother he could get a pinata for his birthday party.

I was able to wedge it into my Wald basket and cover it with extra grocery bags to protect the streamers. Picture me with an overstuffed pannier on one side, the pinata in the basket on the other, my almost-seven-year-old on his 20 in bike riding ahead of me, and my five-year-old cruising on the Piccolo trail-a-bike. Well, we made it, and I successfully conveyed crazy frugality to my spawn!

savings4life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #319 on: January 18, 2018, 05:41:40 PM »
Like many of my fellow Mustachians, I could eat at the finest restaurant in town, but I choose not to. Today is my birthday and a paid day off from work. So, I left my mortgage free home this morning, then drove to a local Denny's Restaurant, in my long ago paid off car. (I live in the boonies and it is not safe to bike to town). I ordered and enjoyed Denny's "Free Birthday Grand Slam". I did purchase a cup of coffee and gave the wonderful waitress a nice tip! It's the little things in life that make me happy! 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #320 on: January 19, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »
Like many of my fellow Mustachians, I could eat at the finest restaurant in town, but I choose not to. Today is my birthday and a paid day off from work. So, I left my mortgage free home this morning, then drove to a local Denny's Restaurant, in my long ago paid off car. (I live in the boonies and it is not safe to bike to town). I ordered and enjoyed Denny's "Free Birthday Grand Slam". I did purchase a cup of coffee and gave the wonderful waitress a nice tip! It's the little things in life that make me happy!

I love this!  Happy Belated Birthday!

Mustachianchlud

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #321 on: March 21, 2018, 11:48:25 AM »
My father was a Mustachian long before it was cool.  As a kid, his frugality drove me nuts - he reused construction materials.  First, he made us remove the nails from studs and joists and flooring during our home renovation and expansion - then, straighten the bent nails and reuse them.   Then, part of our house was brick, so we chiseled out the brick wall, brick by brick, to add an addition.  We sat for hours chiseling the old mortar off, and then reused the bricks in the retaining walls of our driveway and foundation of the addition.

Finally, one summer he decided to widen the driveway 2 feet by using an unusual recycling technique - he had found a county park where contractors had illegally dumped broken chunks of curbing that measured 18 inches by 9 inches thick by 3 feet long.  Those suckers where HEAVY! Maybe 200-300 pounds. We would go after he came home from work and "steal" the  pieces of curb, hoist them into our Ford van with a chain hoist on a steel scaffold he scrounged, and muscle them into place on the (excavated) side of the driveway, then hand mix cement to fill in around the irregular edges to make a "paving" of sorts.  Took all summer, and looked like hell, but was used by him for over twenty years, until the rest of the asphalt driveway disintegrated, leaving only the massive slabs of concrete left.  The police even stopped us one night in the park - thinking we were dumping.  The cop could hardly believe us that we were taking them away, but he finally let us go, since we were really cleaning up the park.  Environmentally aware, too, my Dad was.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #322 on: March 21, 2018, 01:04:12 PM »
Finally, one summer he decided to widen the driveway 2 feet by using an unusual recycling technique - he had found a county park where contractors had illegally dumped broken chunks of curbing that measured 18 inches by 9 inches thick by 3 feet long.  Those suckers where HEAVY! Maybe 200-300 pounds. We would go after he came home from work and "steal" the  pieces of curb, hoist them into our Ford van with a chain hoist on a steel scaffold he scrounged, and muscle them into place on the (excavated) side of the driveway, then hand mix cement to fill in around the irregular edges to make a "paving" of sorts.  Took all summer, and looked like hell, but was used by him for over twenty years, until the rest of the asphalt driveway disintegrated, leaving only the massive slabs of concrete left.  The police even stopped us one night in the park - thinking we were dumping.  The cop could hardly believe us that we were taking them away, but he finally let us go, since we were really cleaning up the park.  Environmentally aware, too, my Dad was.

This reminded me of one.  We had about a 4x12 concrete slab in the back yard of our first house that we decided to get rid of.  We had someone come in and break it into pieces, but then we had to dispose of the concrete chunks.

We could have taken them all to the dump in a pickup truck in one fell swoop, but that would have cost like $10.

Somehow we (I?) decided that since the trash guys came once a week, we'd just throw out a chunk or two every week until it was all gone.

Unfortunately, the trash guys had a rule that they didn't have to empty any trash cans that were over about 50 pounds.  So every week I'd balance trying to get rid of as much concrete as I could and not putting too much in there that they would skip it and leave an orange note on my trash can explaining why they didn't empty it.

I think after a while I took the bathroom scale out to the back alleyway and weighed the trash cans to try to get it right.  And then my blood pressure went up a little when my trash cans were technically under the weight limit but the trash guys  said it was too heavy.

We lived in that house for over a year and I still think there was concrete left when we moved out.

ElizaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #323 on: March 21, 2018, 03:22:59 PM »
Lots of great tips in this thread, here is my 2cents:
- I wash/reuse baggies a few times, same with foil and parchment paper.
- I save almost all of my veggie scraps and bones in baggies in the freezer and make stock. I use a pressure canner to keep about 8 qts on hand.
- One time I took the Bolt Bus from Seattle to Portland mid-day for $13, $9 for the way back at 5am the next day for a concert. I didn't book a hotel for the few hours after the show, so I hung around the city all night with a homeless man I met and drew pictures with him. Not the best idea for a 21 year old female, but it was an adventure.
- I walk to the grocery store, there's one that's 0.4 mile away and another that's 1 mile away. I bring my granny cart with me and amuse myself.
- Installed a bidet in our toilet and made "family towels" to pat dry from extra fabric. We buy a pack of toilet paper maybe once every 4 months, if we have guests over it cuts that time down a bit.
- Similarly, I almost never use paper towels except for cat puke/greasy stuff.
- I have only ever bought one bag of trash bags in my life, which was for moving out of my apartment to bag my clothes and bedding. I pick up single-use plastic bags and have the "bag of bags" I sewed from extra fabric. It looks like a hot dog and is fun to whack my husband with when he's not looking. We use very small trash cans for this to happen and since it's only use two and the cats we don't generate much garbage.
- I bought a $125 purple wedding dress from Amazon that was absolutely beautiful.
- Walking or biking to work to my part-time job that was 1.25 miles away absolutely blew my coworkers' minds.
- I was born and raised in So-Cal, which means conserving water. I shower a little longer these days in WA, but I still turn the water all the way off for soaping/shampooing and then again for conditioning/shaving, which confuses my husband to hear the water turn back on again after it was off for 10 minutes while I shaved. Our hot water would run out if the tap were on the whole time, and turning off the tap for a little bit helps the scalding hot water steam escape through the vent a little bit so it's not a complete sauna when I'm done.
I'm sure there's many more, but these are the main points I can think of off the top of my head.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #324 on: March 22, 2018, 12:55:45 AM »
@ElizaStache, I love your list. I'm a champion plastic bag and foil washer, but I did not think you could wash parchment paper. Good to know.
Also, the bag holder story made me lol.

Hey, FWIW, I find if I buy good quality freezer weight plastic bags, those suckers last forever.

Ogriv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #325 on: March 22, 2018, 08:21:02 AM »
I ate cheese I found on a wall.
I was in the suburbs of south London visiting a friend.
And on a garden wall there was some low-fat cheddar cheese with its packaging slightly open, and a sign saying 'please take'.
Its 'best before' date was that day.
So I took it home and used it in cooking that week.
No ill effects.

Also recently after a difficult phone exchange with my boss who wanted to know why I wasn't working on a Saturday...
I turned and found a green apple on a wall next to me.
So I ate it to cheer myself up.

ElizaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #326 on: March 22, 2018, 11:09:11 AM »
@ElizaStache, I love your list. I'm a champion plastic bag and foil washer, but I did not think you could wash parchment paper. Good to know.

Hey, FWIW, I find if I buy good quality freezer weight plastic bags, those suckers last forever.

Thanks! The way I reuse parchment paper is mostly only for blind-baking pie shells, so I have my little container of beans and paper cuts outs ready to go. I wipe off any crumbs or butter and put the paper back in the bin. The key is to not leave too much hanging off the ends for the oven to ruin. I think I'm on my second or third roll of parchment paper in 6 years, I use Silpats for almost everything.

I also only buy the good name-brand  freezer and sandwich bags since I'm only buying one or two boxes per year at most. Some things are not worth being cheap about.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #327 on: March 22, 2018, 01:07:03 PM »

- I bought a $125 purple wedding dress from Amazon that was absolutely beautiful.

Picture please!

ElizaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #328 on: March 22, 2018, 04:33:45 PM »

Picture please!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017QSL7X2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Please find the two attached pictures, one of me tipsily pinching the photographer's head, and the second of the back of the dress, showing the messed up tan I had from working my side gig as a landscaper! I had to shorten the dress a little bit, nothing the handy sewing machine couldn't handle.

My parents hosted a beautiful party for us in my childhood home in San Diego (no venue to pay for), with a grand total of 30 people, we had a lunch from my neighbor the caterer who did wedding pie instead of cake, rented some chairs and tables, my mom's childhood friend as the photographer, and my dad's former coworker was the officient. My cousin did my make up, SIL did my hair. We drove down from WA and made the drive back along the coast our honeymoon. Everything including rings was under $6k I believe. Best party ever!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 04:35:33 PM by ElizaStache »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #329 on: March 22, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »

Please find the two attached pictures, one of me tipsily pinching the photographer's head, and the second of the back of the dress, showing the messed up tan I had from working my side gig as a landscaper! I had to shorten the dress a little bit, nothing the handy sewing machine couldn't handle.

Beautiful!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #330 on: March 22, 2018, 06:32:41 PM »
I ate cheese I found on a wall.
I was in the suburbs of south London visiting a friend.
And on a garden wall there was some low-fat cheddar cheese with its packaging slightly open, and a sign saying 'please take'.
Its 'best before' date was that day.
So I took it home and used it in cooking that week.
No ill effects.

Also recently after a difficult phone exchange with my boss who wanted to know why I wasn't working on a Saturday...
I turned and found a green apple on a wall next to me.
So I ate it to cheer myself up.

I don't know why but this pleases me greatly. You seem to have a knack for finding edibles on walls.

Landslave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #331 on: March 24, 2018, 02:37:40 AM »
I live in houston, so its a tossup between biking to work (most bike unfriendly city ive been in, my wife thinks im crazy) and leaving the air conditioner off during the summer (my friends think im crazy).

Both those are hard core in Houston. Commutes would be similar although often delayed by thunder in Tampa. Hat off to you.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #332 on: March 24, 2018, 10:40:11 AM »
I don’t watch TV so I have a small one and don’t care. Family member bought me a 4K TV because it’s inconceivable to him that I don’t care about TV. I’m too cheap to buy a 4K box. Difference between old TV (which was really only used when guests come over) and new fancy tv? Nothing.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #333 on: March 24, 2018, 09:03:20 PM »
I find hair bands (like for ponytails) on the sidewalk and in parking lots all the time.

I just pick them up and dust them off and throw them in my bag and then use them without a second thought.

I guess I could get lice or something, but I do it anyway.

Ogriv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #334 on: March 28, 2018, 12:37:38 PM »
OMG those hair bands
They're everywhere on the ground in London too!

I pick them up too.
I sometimes even wash them.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #335 on: March 29, 2018, 03:18:39 AM »
I have been known to pick them up in the driveway of my apartment building when I'm almost certain they're elastics of mine that have fallen out of my bag while grabbing keys or whatever.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #336 on: April 02, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »

IUD:  You just pulled . . . and it came out?

I got comfy in front of a mirror, and used tweezers (which I cleaned with alcohol first).  It took a few tries to get a good grip, but once I did, yup, it just slid out.  Easy peasy.

Gawd - that is really fucking gross - but I can't help admire you for it on some bizarre level..

Thanks.  :)

I actually know a couple of other women who have done the same thing.

Last time I got one installed my ob/gyn told me you can remove it yourself, but I definitely don't have the guts. Good on you.

After my wife self-serviced her IUD, I started using trash bags as condoms.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:03:25 PM by meatgrinder »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #337 on: April 03, 2018, 11:58:32 AM »

IUD:  You just pulled . . . and it came out?

I got comfy in front of a mirror, and used tweezers (which I cleaned with alcohol first).  It took a few tries to get a good grip, but once I did, yup, it just slid out.  Easy peasy.

Gawd - that is really fucking gross - but I can't help admire you for it on some bizarre level..

Thanks.  :)

I actually know a couple of other women who have done the same thing.

Last time I got one installed my ob/gyn told me you can remove it yourself, but I definitely don't have the guts. Good on you.

After my wife self-serviced her IUD, I started using trash bags as condoms.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: April 03, 2018, 01:17:34 PM »
Omg I would not pull out my own IUD. I had one partially fall out once and I went back to the doctor to get it removed. Luckily it was still in the "warranty" period so they replaced it for free.
My crazy frugal stuff probably isn't that crazy on here, but my friends think it is. I bike over an hour each way to avoid paying for bus fare (I don't own a car either) and actually preferred biking since I got some exercise too. One time I carried a queen bed frame home from Ikea on the bus and metro to avoid paying for delivery (my partner helped). I try to trade instead of buying new for whatever I can, I figure I've already saved hundreds doing that. I have never paid bank fees or credit card interest in my life, I always research how to get free accounts and stick within the required limits of transactions/balance minimums. I couchsurf instead of paying for accommodations, and got a couchsurfer to stay at my place and take care of my cat while I was on vacation. That one really scared my mom, but he was super nice and didn't steal anything. I've slept in an airport overnight instead of paying for a hotel for 10 hours. I also wash ziplocs and try to use cloth instead of paper towel, except for really gross stuff.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #339 on: April 03, 2018, 02:48:55 PM »
Omg I would not pull out my own IUD. I had one partially fall out once and I went back to the doctor to get it removed. Luckily it was still in the "warranty" period so they replaced it for free.
My crazy frugal stuff probably isn't that crazy on here, but my friends think it is. I bike over an hour each way to avoid paying for bus fare (I don't own a car either) and actually preferred biking since I got some exercise too. One time I carried a queen bed frame home from Ikea on the bus and metro to avoid paying for delivery (my partner helped). I try to trade instead of buying new for whatever I can, I figure I've already saved hundreds doing that. I have never paid bank fees or credit card interest in my life, I always research how to get free accounts and stick within the required limits of transactions/balance minimums. I couchsurf instead of paying for accommodations, and got a couchsurfer to stay at my place and take care of my cat while I was on vacation. That one really scared my mom, but he was super nice and didn't steal anything. I've slept in an airport overnight instead of paying for a hotel for 10 hours. I also wash ziplocs and try to use cloth instead of paper towel, except for really gross stuff.

That's bad ass. I really like www.sleepinginairports.net when planning an overnight airport stay.  When I was dating, I would give girls seeds instead of flowers.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #340 on: April 03, 2018, 03:02:55 PM »

That's bad ass. I really like www.sleepinginairports.net when planning an overnight airport stay.  When I was dating, I would give girls seeds instead of flowers.
That site is pretty cool, wish I had known about it back then. If I need another layover like that, I know where to look.
I would actually really like getting seeds. I grow lots of plants so I prefer potted plants to cut flowers. I'm always trying to sprout food from scraps like lettuce, avocados and celery.
Reading more of this thread just reminded me of some other crazy frugal stuff I've done. Transported large furniture several kilometers on the back of my bike. Got some weird looks for that. Picked up furniture/books/paintings/large animal skulls off the sidewalk. Sometimes picked up stuff, then traded it for stuff I needed, even better. Rolled 60 bucks worth of nasty grease covered change a previous tenant left behind.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #341 on: April 04, 2018, 01:34:02 PM »
I would also drive backwards through the McDonald's drive-through so they would have to pay.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #342 on: April 06, 2018, 08:52:43 PM »
I would also drive backwards through the McDonald's drive-through so they would have to pay.
:)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #343 on: April 06, 2018, 08:59:50 PM »
I've done a few, but two that stand out

-driving through the USA & Mexico (from Canada): never getting a hotel, just shift driving and sometimes sleeping in the back of a truck (there were a few of us so the driver slept up front, I--a young female, slept in the back with bags, and my friend, a young dude, slept UNDER the truck). We are so lucky nothing happened, we definitely got scoped out, I probably didn't sleep so well. This was about 15 years ago.

-I moved to a very HCOL area, had student loads debts to pay so I took a position cleaning in exchange for rent (in a dysfunctional house). But the room they offered wasn't really a room--it was the broiler room in the basement. I tried to be optimistic about it but after some animal was scurrying around down there with me,  a friend (who had witnessed several of my extreme money saving tactics and applauded only some of them) reminded me that even though I *could* do something, didn't mean that I had to.

I moved out and paid the debt off more slowly but with mental health in a better place.

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #344 on: October 25, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »

I bought silicone baking pads which I use instead of parchment paper.  You can scrub them and reuse them after.

AdequatelyAwesome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #345 on: November 10, 2018, 11:51:58 AM »
Many years ago, I didn't have enough money to afford insurance on my car but needed it for my summer job. So I used Public storage's $1/m deal and shifted my car once a month in the off hours when no one was on the road. Four months later, my job started and I could afford to put the insurance back on.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #346 on: November 10, 2018, 11:44:03 PM »

I bought silicone baking pads which I use instead of parchment paper.  You can scrub them and reuse them after.
Thanks for the tip. I bought some at Costco last month, right before they went on sale. I know Costco will do an adjustment, I just have to remember to do it.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #347 on: November 16, 2018, 08:54:07 AM »
This isn't the craziest but never the less a great deal. I went to buy two shovels today at Home Depot and with Tax they came to exactly $50.01.  well if you took two minutes to get a charge card that I will just tear up it was 50$ off so I owe a penny.  So that one was worth opening, at least two me.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #348 on: November 17, 2018, 08:06:25 AM »
This isn't the craziest but never the less a great deal. I went to buy two shovels today at Home Depot and with Tax they came to exactly $50.01.  well if you took two minutes to get a charge card that I will just tear up it was 50$ off so I owe a penny.  So that one was worth opening, at least two me.

If you want to open CC accounts for money, I would start with the Chase Sapphire Preferred. The signup bonus cashes out to $500. Admittedly you do need to come up with $4k in spend - we originally did that with (most of) the annual property tax payment.

twistedfirestarter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #349 on: November 18, 2018, 01:36:37 AM »
I spent over an hour in the cold and dark breaking up pallets for our wood burner, it was mainly helping a friend out who wanted them cleared away but can’t complain about free fuel.