Author Topic: What's the craziest thing you've done in the name of frugality?  (Read 117988 times)

BikeLover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What's the craziest thing you've done in the name of frugality?
« Reply #250 on: November 05, 2017, 07:14:24 AM »
I kept my home at 45 to 55 °F in winter, wearing wool underclothes, sweaters and a hat for warmth, and using a dehumidifier to reduce the risk of mold. As my fingers got really cold when typing for longer periods, I got an small electric pad to put under the keyboard. I live alone, so didn't have to get anyone else's agreement for this experiment.

Mavmoses07

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #251 on: November 05, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »
I work for a large corporation at an office of ~1000 employees. Often times people will bring bagels/donuts/snacks to share. Additionally, whenever any of the higher-ups have a meeting they'll have a catered lunch with normally plenty of extras. So I'll walk the halls of my office every few hours in search free snacks or lunch. I just hate to see free food go to waster.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #252 on: November 05, 2017, 07:16:19 PM »
I work at MegaCorp.   A long time ago (20 years)  they use to provide free donuts at break time in the morning.
The chime would go off and folks would take break and have some donuts and coffee. 

The thing was, there were a few managers who would raid the donuts before break-time and take what they wanted.
Whenever the "working class" had break time it was obvious that there were donuts missing.

I often spied the managers doing this.  Part of their sense of entitlement, I guess.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty obnoxious but .... 

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #253 on: November 05, 2017, 10:35:54 PM »
I kept my home at 45 to 55 °F in winter, wearing wool underclothes, sweaters and a hat for warmth, and using a dehumidifier to reduce the risk of mold. As my fingers got really cold when typing for longer periods, I got an small electric pad to put under the keyboard. I live alone, so didn't have to get anyone else's agreement for this experiment.

I did the same thing one time. Wife and kid went and stayed with her family for a few weeks, I thought I run experiment how low my heating bill can be if I keep the house at 55F. I do not remember exactly, but the saving was pretty substantial. On the day that I felt really cold, I worked from local library - they probably kept it there ~70F :)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: November 06, 2017, 11:37:32 AM »
I work for a large corporation at an office of ~1000 employees. Often times people will bring bagels/donuts/snacks to share. Additionally, whenever any of the higher-ups have a meeting they'll have a catered lunch with normally plenty of extras. So I'll walk the halls of my office every few hours in search free snacks or lunch. I just hate to see free food go to waster.
This used to be me. My professor used to often bring bagels or donuts for lab meetings in the morning and at some point I started asking him to send me an email so I didn't have to eat breakfast. He also sometimes asked for people's preference and I was always the only one replying - which ensured me of bagels every Tuesday morning :D

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #255 on: November 10, 2017, 05:33:54 PM »
^ I guess that's what makes it "crazy" LOL

It's a false economy to skip going to the dentist. 

I waited to go to the dentist (due to being super-busy at work, not to save money).  As a result, I wound up needing a root canal & crown (costing $1600 IIRC) and then ultimately cracked the same tooth and had to have it extracted (cost I don't recall) and replaced with a fake (cost ~$5000).

My cleanings have been a lot less unpleasant since I started flossing regularly.  YMMY.

I wanted to second this. I didn't go to the dentist for about two and a half years -- figured eh it was hard to find a dentist and I'd have to pay and ehhhh I brush my teeth twice a day and I floss! -- and then when my gums swelled and started bleeding, I finally went in. Turned out I needed a deep cleaning (4 visits, all with novocaine) and then a gum graft, to the tune of well over $1500. Definite financial loss and physically unpleasant.

I'm happy to skimp on a lot of things -- washing plastic baggies and sleeping in airports and on roadsides is a pretty familiar tune to me -- but I've learned the hard way not to skimp on checkups and other things for health. Gotta keep that body fit and going so that my medical costs are lower in retirement, after all. ;)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: November 12, 2017, 09:44:31 AM »

I waited to go to the dentist (due to being super-busy at work, not to save money).  As a result, I wound up needing a root canal & crown (costing $1600 IIRC) and then ultimately cracked the same tooth and had to have it extracted (cost I don't recall) and replaced with a fake (cost ~$5000).

My cleanings have been a lot less unpleasant since I started flossing regularly.  YMMY.

I wanted to second this. I didn't go to the dentist for about two and a half years -- figured eh it was hard to find a dentist and I'd have to pay and ehhhh I brush my teeth twice a day and I floss! -- and then when my gums swelled and started bleeding, I finally went in. Turned out I needed a deep cleaning (4 visits, all with novocaine) and then a gum graft, to the tune of well over $1500. Definite financial loss and physically unpleasant.

I'm happy to skimp on a lot of things -- washing plastic baggies and sleeping in airports and on roadsides is a pretty familiar tune to me -- but I've learned the hard way not to skimp on checkups and other things for health. Gotta keep that body fit and going so that my medical costs are lower in retirement, after all. ;)
i

When it comes to the dentist, I have had tooth stone (I don't know the English word) removal with bleeding gums always. And I hate flossing. But once the dentist gave me a pack of small gum brushes and they totally do the trick. After brushing, I clean between my teeth and my gums and there is usually something coming out that wasn't removed in the initial brush. I no longer have bleeding gums and almost no tooth stone at the dentist.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #257 on: November 12, 2017, 11:16:01 AM »
When it comes to the dentist, I have had tooth stone (I don't know the English word) removal with bleeding gums always.

Interesting.  I bet the word you're looking for is calculus.  From the Latin for small pebble, it can either mean the buildup on the teeth, or a kind of math we study in high school and college that torments a lot of people.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #258 on: November 13, 2017, 05:49:43 AM »
When it comes to the dentist, I have had tooth stone (I don't know the English word) removal with bleeding gums always.

Interesting.  I bet the word you're looking for is calculus.  From the Latin for small pebble, it can either mean the buildup on the teeth, or a kind of math we study in high school and college that torments a lot of people.

I think it means plaque.

cashstore2022

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #259 on: November 13, 2017, 12:02:13 PM »
I put 100 ft of drainage tile in my Chevy Sonic yesterday at the home depot, saving about $20 over 1x10ft drainage tiles.  Couldn't fit it in my trunk at all, nor in my back seat.  Ended up wrapping it through my back two windshields, over the car, and back and over, 4 times.  Then driving 10 miles home in the winter with my windows down.

When we got home my wife asked how many people in the parking lot saw me.  'Lots' was my response. 

cashstore2022

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #260 on: November 13, 2017, 12:04:38 PM »
I also stopped going to the dentist.  I set a reminder to my work account to brush, floss, and Listerine in the afternoon.  I water pick once per week, and of course do the morning and evening brush.  I can't imagine that ever not being enough.  Savings: $200-$400 per year.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #261 on: November 13, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »
I biked home from the hardware store with a 66-lb bag of parging cement strapped to my back bike rack.  Got some "this middle-aged woman is crazy" looks from the warehouse guys.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: November 13, 2017, 12:46:58 PM »

I think it means plaque.

According to google translate it is called "tartar".

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: November 13, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »

I think it means plaque.

According to google translate it is called "tartar".

Actually both, one leads to the other

According to webMd
If plaque stays on your teeth it hardens into tartar.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #264 on: November 14, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »

i

When it comes to the dentist, I have had tooth stone (I don't know the English word) removal with bleeding gums always. And I hate flossing. But once the dentist gave me a pack of small gum brushes and they totally do the trick. After brushing, I clean between my teeth and my gums and there is usually something coming out that wasn't removed in the initial brush. I no longer have bleeding gums and almost no tooth stone at the dentist.

My dentist gave me those too! I have really quick plaque/tartar buildup, and using the little scraper where the teeth and gums meet is ridiculously helpful. Still need very regular cleanings, but my dentist is now proud of me instead of worried, so that's great. ;)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #265 on: November 16, 2017, 11:24:43 AM »
Packed a Razor scooter to get around on a trip to Irvine, CA to get around... 7 weeks post-op from an ACL replacement, wearing an ACL brace.

I did it because I'd already bought my plane ticket (free on airline points but booked 6 months in advance) and didn't want to pay the fee to get the airline points back, my hotel was free due to points, and I was too cheap to rent a car.

So picture this: me gimping around with one working leg, schlepping this scooter around in carry-on luggage, and Razor-ing around on various hills with no real experience with the damn scooter and not quite sure how to stop it. I faceplanted once crossing a pedestrian crosswalk that was also a freeway exit, and again at the bottom of a large hill. I could still have blown out the graft very easily.

GettingClose

• Stubble
« Reply #266 on: November 16, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »
I also stopped going to the dentist.  I set a reminder to my work account to brush, floss, and Listerine in the afternoon.  I water pick once per week, and of course do the morning and evening brush.  I can't imagine that ever not being enough.  Savings: $200-$400 per year.

Speaking as one closely related to a dentist, a word of warning about Listerine and alocohol-based mouthwashes in general: Listerine is more than 25% alcohol (54 proof), which ends out contributing to gum disease and cavities.  Listerine Zero is fine.  https://www.napervilledentistry.com/blog/does-alcohol-in-mouthwash-prevent-gum-disease/  [not the dentist I'm related to]

And a set of X-rays every few years and seeing the hygienist would certainly be to your advantage. I've got exemplary dental hygiene myself, and still have tartar which builds up in a couple of areas.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #267 on: November 16, 2017, 03:14:01 PM »
Free bagels from the local place were available in the break room.  I stole one for a snack to eat at home.  No doubt it will be slightly stale, by the time I eat it tomorrow. 

What is happening to me?  ;)

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #268 on: November 16, 2017, 03:26:43 PM »
I didn't know about until it was done but I'm married to the guy so by default it was me too:
The first time we painted our living room/ dining room, it looked like the last gal of paint wasn't going to do all the room that was left, so it got mixed  with another half gallon of water.  We were young and in love

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #269 on: November 16, 2017, 10:32:59 PM »
Please if u find shoes on the beach don't take them! I grew up in a beach town and we always kick off our shoes first thing when we get to the sand since I was a kid. Never had a problem until a few years ago somebody took my sandals!

saving_dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #270 on: November 17, 2017, 01:06:52 AM »
Free bagels from the local place were available in the break room.  I stole one for a snack to eat at home.  No doubt it will be slightly stale, by the time I eat it tomorrow. 

Welcome to the dark frugal side.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #271 on: November 17, 2017, 07:34:34 AM »

Curious use of the word "stealing". Were they intended for someone else? "Available in the breakroom" sounds like a general offering.

If I was worried about freshness, I'd just freeze it, if your break room has a fridge.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #272 on: November 17, 2017, 07:59:32 AM »

It wasn't stealing really.  They were sitting on the table for everyone. 

I have a hard time taking the free food off the everyone table at work.  We are in such better shape financially than most of our peers.  Heck, we are doing better financially than people with higher educations and better jobs than ourselves.  I'm a secretary.  OK, well, Office manager, but it feels like secretarial work. My other job is a bike shop, which is more for fun and discount benefits.  It seems that other people should take them.  It was late in the day, someone announced them, and there were few takers.  Figured they would get tossed anyway.  There is a lot of food wasted there.  Usually, I avoid it.  Like, ew...people have no doubt pawed those.

Curious use of the word "stealing". Were they intended for someone else? "Available in the breakroom" sounds like a general offering.

If I was worried about freshness, I'd just freeze it, if your break room has a fridge.

I hate this forums quote feature.  I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #273 on: November 19, 2017, 05:02:58 AM »

You are getting smarter. Use free food when you can get it legally.

I often take home leftover fruit from our office. If therecis a pile of apples and pears left on friday afternoon and I leave late, I take it home. Other colleagues think it is good that at doesn`t go to waste.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #274 on: November 20, 2017, 07:31:24 AM »
Not too crazy, but I just realized how ridiculous this would sound to anyone outside of this forum...

I'm using full-size bed sheets on my queen bed. Before I resorted to the full sheets, I was using a set of queen sheets that I got for free which ended up ripping after a few months.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #275 on: November 21, 2017, 06:43:59 AM »
For two years I have been doing extensive remodeling on an older home we downsized to. Have done a lot of drywall, new floors etc..a lot of gutting and I haven't ordered one dumpster. With all the building going on around our house I pull up and ask people If I can toss a few Items into there dumpster and have never been rejected. Not the Craziest but I don't go out of my way, I keep the Van in the back loaded and when I see an opportunity I get rid of stuff.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: November 21, 2017, 07:37:45 AM »
For two years I have been doing extensive remodeling on an older home we downsized to. Have done a lot of drywall, new floors etc..a lot of gutting and I haven't ordered one dumpster. With all the building going on around our house I pull up and ask people If I can toss a few Items into there dumpster and have never been rejected. Not the Craziest but I don't go out of my way, I keep the Van in the back loaded and when I see an opportunity I get rid of stuff.

+1

We just remodeled our bathroom. I kept all the waste in the garage and got rid of it, one trashcan a week, over 3 months!!
(also put some items on free cycle, like mirror etc. since I hated throwing away stuff that could be re-used)

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #277 on: November 24, 2017, 01:32:50 AM »
My daughter's snowsuit from when she was about 8 is still in use as a pot-warmer (she is 20 now). We make yogurt every week, and you have to keep the pan warm for several hours. Wrap it in old snowsuit and good.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: November 24, 2017, 02:59:34 AM »
Not too crazy, but I just realized how ridiculous this would sound to anyone outside of this forum...

I'm using full-size bed sheets on my queen bed. Before I resorted to the full sheets, I was using a set of queen sheets that I got for free which ended up ripping after a few months.

... what are "full size sheets"? Are they what we would call king size? Larger than queen?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #279 on: November 24, 2017, 10:42:24 AM »

... what are "full size sheets"? Are they what we would call king size? Larger than queen?

Full is the next size down from queen.  King, queen, full, single aka twin.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #280 on: November 24, 2017, 04:11:54 PM »
Someone gave me a couple of onions that were growing.  The onions were bad, but they had nice green tops.  I chopped off the green tops and those will be part of dinner tonight.  I am making a pad thai.  We also had some leftover cilantro.  This works out perfectly.

Not quite dumpster diving, but making something from someone's garbage.

You guys are turning me into a weirdo.  ;)

Cashonda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #281 on: November 24, 2017, 07:12:46 PM »
I love this thread!
I get a lot of crap from people for taking free stuff from the trash on the street. My mom did it growing up so it got passed on to me. She would give us Christmas gifts that she found in the trash - like a whole package of socks brand new. She's good at finding excellent things. It's especially awesome when you are moving into a new place and need furnishings. If I can't find it in the street I'll go to the thrift store. I love how creative it makes you!

I have had many periods in my life where I didnt have a car. I moved house several times by walking. Once I bungeed stuff on to my rolling vacuum cleaner to help transport it all about a mile. I used the hose part as a pulling handle. I think someone even took a photo of me hahaha!And I've used grocery shopping carts to move a few times. They are awesome. Here you have to deposit €1 to use the cart at the store. One time I wanted my €1 back but I was busy moving so I couldn't take the cart back immediately to get the refund. So I locked the cart to a pole with a bike lock overnight and took it back the next day hahaha. I didnt want someone to steal it and get my euro. My friends thought I was bonkers.

Sometimes I think I am quite a weirdo, it is good to find you other weirdos. :D

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #282 on: November 24, 2017, 07:36:49 PM »
I just remembered something.

Back in college, I usually took the train to and from the airport because that was a lot cheaper than a taxi or even imposing on a friend for a lift.

One time, the cheapest flight home left early enough in the morning that there was not an early enough train to get there.

The obvious solution, which I used, was to take the last train the previous night to the airport, and sleep in the airport lobby for a few fitful hours.  I had no alarm clock, so I had to sort of be aware of what time it was so I didn't miss my flight.  Also I had to kind of sleep on my backpack so my fellow homeless people travelers didn't steal my stuff.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2017, 11:32:05 PM »

Ah. So double then.

HomeSweetLab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #284 on: November 25, 2017, 02:37:06 AM »
I once had my hand luggage searched at Zurich Airport on my way home at the end of a hiking holiday in the Swiss Alps because the x-ray machine picked up suspicious packages. The customs officer didn't crack a smile as he pulled out nearly-full bags of Migros own brand white flour, sugar, rice and pasta and a jar of paprika. Well, y'know, food's expensive in Switzerland, I hate food waste at the best of time, and my bag was well under the weight limit.

To add to the sitcom effect, someone of my acquaintance from home was coming through at the same time and got a new perspective of the sort of person I am.

(See also: Being stopped at security at Berlin because of suspicious oblong packages in my hand luggage. I am that person who thought there might not be an Aldi on every street corner in Berlin, and carried a dozen cheap flapjacks from home.)

This reminds me of traveling many years ago, pre 9-11, extra security measures and airline being very strict on weight of suitcase. I travel light, but always have two huge suitcases plus a carry-on for my trips to SE Asia. On the way back, I would pack them with food - noodles, crackers pretty much anything that I can think of, up to the max weight. The look on the custom officers who inspect the suitcases are priceless hahaha

Love this thread. Makes me feel less crazy about the things I do to save a buck, which most of my friends consider abnormal. I've done a lot of the "crazy" things posted in this thread, but the travel shopping definitely hits home given my current situation.

I'm currently living in Norway, where food, clothing, services and basic personal hygiene products are ungodly expensive. For reference, a pack of dental floss costs about $6 here. No, I did not miss a decimal... $6. A basic pair of jeans costs well over $100. And dry cleaning costs about $20 for a basic wool sweater.

I travel to SE Asia (Vietnam) about twice a year to see my girlfriend, who is back there finishing school, and I get 30kg of checked baggage for free on Qatar. I go there with a carry-on backpack filled with the few wool items that I like to dry clean and an empty suitcase. While visiting, I buy enough personal hygiene products to last me about six months, have all of my items dry cleaned for about $2 an item, buy a piece of clothing or two to replace anything that is beyond repair (I refuse to buy clothing in Norway) and fill the rest of the allotted 30kg with non-perishable food items (rice noodles, spices, coffee, etc.). The saving from purchasing all of these products/services there vs in Norway almost pays for my round-trip plane ticket of around $500.

cl_noll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #285 on: November 26, 2017, 09:39:35 AM »
I rinse and reuse coffee filters for my aeropress 3-5 times before composting them.  Those things are pricey!

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #286 on: November 26, 2017, 08:05:58 PM »

+1

We just remodeled our bathroom. I kept all the waste in the garage and got rid of it, one trashcan a week, over 3 months!!
(also put some items on free cycle, like mirror etc. since I hated throwing away stuff that could be re-used)

+1. I have very nice neighbor, and we helped each other. So I asked him the day before trash pick-up if his trash can has some room so I can throw away some of my trash in his trash can as well. I did put his trash can on the curb - it is heavy after I added my trash.

I did this a few weeks in a row :)

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #287 on: November 27, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »
I had a friend during my college years who was from an old money family but down on his luck.  He somehow maintained all his private club memberships (despite being unable to pay the monthly bills).  He ran into his neighbor at a typically drunken lunch one day at the club and heard she was off to NYC for a week at the Waldorf. Having stayed there many times himself, he begged her to bring him some of their fabulous soaps.

A couple weeks later he was mowing the grass in his front yard on say a Tuesday morning (since he had no job).  Keep in mind this was on the toniest old money lane in town where lawn crews maintained all the greenery year round and he was "caretaking" a mansion for a friend for five years.  She wafted by in her Rolls Royce and he waved at her, all sweaty and filthy and she shouted "I have your soap!".

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #288 on: December 01, 2017, 09:04:18 AM »
We bring three boxes of coffee filters back from France each time we go.  1 Euro / box at Carrefour, CAD$6 + tax / box in Canada.  And a few packs of San Marco coffee as well, especially when it's on sale at Lidl.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #289 on: December 01, 2017, 09:15:14 AM »
The other day DW bought this brand new huge pot to steam food. Pro: it is $2 (yay!). Con - two big dent on the lid, and the pot itself has a dent and not perfectly round (no wonder it is $2). Its like something very heavy fall on top of it.

She asked if I can fix it, or she will return in to the store.

Me: oh... just so happened that I have a dead blow on order, and been wondering what I am going to "test" it when it arrives :)

So yesterday I spent some time slowly trying to get this pot back in shape. It is much better now. The lid now fit into the pot and the pot is only slightly less round. There is still one dent that I need to straighten, will do so over weekend.

This pot is definitely a keeper!

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #290 on: December 04, 2017, 09:28:24 AM »
I bought house brand cheese last night. 

If it totally sucks, I am going back to premium.  I am giving this a try to see if I can handle a budget reduction on cheese.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: December 05, 2017, 12:23:17 PM »

Ah. So double then.

Exactly, ah!

In Australia we have king, queen, double, king single, single.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2017, 10:14:45 PM »
I've got one

While in Panama City, Panama we went to a bar to watch a football game. The taxi ride there was $3. So at midnight, when we were going back to the hostel, the taxi wanted $5. We said no, we'll pay $3. He left, next one, same thing... Third one, I told him where we wanted to go, and gave him $3 saying "OK?" And he said yes. So we piled in and off we went. Except he didn't know where our hostel was. He drove around and called a dispatch and no one knew where it was. So I told him to go down this road further and it had to be there. He went a bit, and then he said it wasn't down here, and he wouldn't go any further, it was dangerous. So we got out.
Standing in the side of the road, no idea where we were, lucky an other taxi pulls up. He knows where the place is, and tells us it is 7 blocks back the other way. We say we'll walk, he says no, get in, it's not safe and only $2... As we are getting in, a their runs up and rips my mom's purse off. I chase after the guy and he pulls out a gun. I duck and run back to the cab.
So in summary, we tried to save $2, and ended up spending it anyway, and my mother's passport was stolen (plus Kindle, lucky her purse was basically empty) we came out -$175 and a lot of hassle on that one.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: December 06, 2017, 07:23:15 AM »

Ah. So double then.

Exactly, ah!

In Australia we have king, queen, double, king single, single.

US is the same except single is also called twin, double is also called full and king single is "twin extra long".

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #294 on: December 07, 2017, 02:35:56 PM »

IUD:  You just pulled . . . and it came out?

I got comfy in front of a mirror, and used tweezers (which I cleaned with alcohol first).  It took a few tries to get a good grip, but once I did, yup, it just slid out.  Easy peasy.

Gawd - that is really fucking gross - but I can't help admire you for it on some bizarre level..

Thanks.  :)

I actually know a couple of other women who have done the same thing.

Last time I got one installed my ob/gyn told me you can remove it yourself, but I definitely don't have the guts. Good on you.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #295 on: December 08, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »
I've got one

While in Panama City, Panama we went to a bar to watch a football game. The taxi ride there was $3. So at midnight, when we were going back to the hostel, the taxi wanted $5. We said no, we'll pay $3. He left, next one, same thing... Third one, I told him where we wanted to go, and gave him $3 saying "OK?" And he said yes. So we piled in and off we went. Except he didn't know where our hostel was. He drove around and called a dispatch and no one knew where it was. So I told him to go down this road further and it had to be there. He went a bit, and then he said it wasn't down here, and he wouldn't go any further, it was dangerous. So we got out.
Standing in the side of the road, no idea where we were, lucky an other taxi pulls up. He knows where the place is, and tells us it is 7 blocks back the other way. We say we'll walk, he says no, get in, it's not safe and only $2... As we are getting in, a their runs up and rips my mom's purse off. I chase after the guy and he pulls out a gun. I duck and run back to the cab.
So in summary, we tried to save $2, and ended up spending it anyway, and my mother's passport was stolen (plus Kindle, lucky her purse was basically empty) we came out -$175 and a lot of hassle on that one.

From all of the stories, I think you win. I started reading your story and thinking omg this is not going to end well. Glad you and your mom are ok, just remember things can be replaced.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #296 on: December 17, 2017, 09:21:33 PM »
Turning off the water while brushing my teeth just to save on the water bill.    Assuming 5 gallons for a typical brushing period of time if the water ran, at $3.05 for 1000 gallons, I save $.02.   I've now gifted each of you that $.02 here!  ;-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #297 on: December 18, 2017, 02:40:49 AM »
Turning off the water while brushing my teeth just to save on the water bill.    Assuming 5 gallons for a typical brushing period of time if the water ran, at $3.05 for 1000 gallons, I save $.02.   I've now gifted each of you that $.02 here!  ;-)

I have done that for years.

Another tip in this category is: turn off the shower while you are soaping in your hair. Relevant for people with long hair who like to massage their head.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: December 18, 2017, 03:28:21 AM »

I have done that for years.

Another tip in this category is: turn off the shower while you are soaping in your hair. Relevant for people with long hair who like to massage their head.
I consider those rather as normal things than 'crazy things you'd do to be frugal'. Why would you ever feel the need to leave the water on while brushing teeth? It's just a waste, regardless the monetary savings.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #299 on: December 18, 2017, 03:46:43 AM »
It might seem like a crazy way to save money, but it's better for the environment not to waste water. This practice is normal everywhere water is scarce, therefore  it does not qualify as "crazy".