Author Topic: We bought our RV to live in  (Read 40043 times)

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
Re: We bought our RV to live in
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2017, 04:44:45 PM »
Hey, let me know if you talked about this some more somewher,e or your thoughts on this:  What was your experience and stuff you went through when you stayed in the ski condo for the winter?

We're thinking of spending December (perhaps longer) in Ontario, and thinking I should probably winterize. Wondering if it's enough to blow air through the pipes, or should also fill with anti freeze. Deciding between doing myself, or paying for the winterization. Also wondering how much I should worry about water finding it's way in if we get a full layer of snow on the roof.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2017, 05:45:57 AM »
We have a vacation grade Winnebago class A that we spent a few years of living in, part time. We have spent a limited amount of time in cold weather, with daytime temps in the thirties, and nights in the teens. Bottom line is that it's doable and nothing but a total pain in the ass. These things are typically pretty poorly insulated, and when it gets that cold, they suck propane like mad. I was getting about two days out of a portable 30 lb cylinder. They also develop severe issues with condensation and typically the windows are soaked, with water dripping down the walls, if you don't pay attention. "Surviving" in an RV in severe cold is something that a lot of folks do successfully, but IMHO, it's uncomfortable and expensive. There is a lot of info. online, including videos of folks who really go to extremes.

As for the winterizing question, it's always best to use antifreeze. Now there are internet experts out there that swear you will never have issues with just using air, but here is the thing. If you ask an RV dealer about it, they will tell you that they use antifreeze on their own inventory. This can be pretty evident when you tour RV lots in spring, as there are pink stains in the sinks and toilets. If air worked so good, deals wouldn't be paying their help to pump hundreds of gallons pink stuff in their inventory. I'm concerned that you are thinking of paying to have this done. As a serious RVer, IMHO, the only way RV ownership doesn't turn into a money burning fountain of waste is that I DIY everything I possibly can. Everything from maintaining and replacing batteries, 12volt converter, thermostat, and other parts of the house systems, to doing oil changes and vehicle maintenance. Even if I can't do it myself, I carefully control the work being done, and look for the most economical way to do it. I just had to do a lot of axle and brake work on the rear end. Since I would of needed a flat concrete work area, a 10 ton floor jack, and other very heavy tools, I had to sub it out. I took it to a well regarded independent repair shop, NOT a big rv dealer. This place gets just over half of what Camping world charges, per hour, and won't screw me, like CW has. Once they had the thing apart, I spent a few minutes going over the job with the shop manager and mechanic. In the end, I added a flush and fill of the rear axle oil, and had them replace the sway bar bushing with OEM parts, and still came in under the original estimate. The whole thing was a painful deal, at $1250, but it could of easily been twice that at a big RV "mega-dealer". I needed new tires and the honest shop that did the work quoted roughly $2200. By buying online, and having a heavy truck shop take delivery of the tires and install them, I spent $1600 on the same tires.

When it comes to RV DIY, winterizing is about one of the easiest tasks. First you need to determine if you have a winterizing set-up installed at your water pump. this is a few valves that need to be flipped, so that a short hose can be used to suck antifreeze out of a gallon bottle. If you need to have this installed, it's well worth the small expense. Then it's just a matter of removing as much water from the system as possible, by draining any low point drains, the fresh water tank and water heater tank, then running the pump and flush the remaining water into the sinks and toilet. Then it only takes a few minutes to suck some pink antifreeze into the pipes and get it to flow out of the faucets, shower and toilet. The final step is dumping some pink in the drains and toilet. Once you learn how, it's literally a ten minute job with $5 worth of antifreeze. At a dealer it can easily be a $100+ fee to do the same thing.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2017, 09:23:49 AM »
I'm a big fan of blowing the lines out with air. It takes a little longer but it doesn't cost anything. I still will get 1 gallon of antifreeze to put in the traps but that's it. Where I stored it last winter it got below -30 degrees F multiple times so I'm glad I blew the lines out instead of just using antifreeze as most of them are only rated to -30 or -40. Didn't have any problems in the spring so we did the same thing again this year and just blew the lines with air, drained the fresh tank at the valve, drained the hot water heater and added a little anti-freeze to the drain traps.

I'm definitely a fan of DIY for it too. I bought a compressor when it was on super sale (http://amzn.to/2i9ps5s) and a blow out plug (http://amzn.to/2i9tHOl) for less than the cost of a pro to do it once.

Though one trick I've heard if you don't want to blow the lines out is to use the cheapest vodka you can find instead of RV antifreeze. It's a little more expensive, but you don't get the antifreeze taste and you can have a fun party at the "de-winterization" :-)

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2017, 11:58:48 AM »
The problem with recommending using air to blow out lines, is essentially the same reason that most dealers are unwilling to risk doing it. If you have water lines with an odd kink, bow or other convoluted installation problems, especially if it's a low point with a fitting involved, it's pretty difficult to blow it clear, and not unusual to discover a leak at the start of the next season. Usually after a fitting fails after it's been full of ice all winter. So, you may have a great track record with blowing lines, and switch to a new trailer, that ends up with expensive damage. All because the system was so poorly installed that it's never going to blow clear, and water gets trapped at low spots. The other issue is getting past check valves at places like the water pump, city water fill, and water heater connections. If the pink stuff is flowing in the right direction, you know that it's not going to freeze. If you are blowing against a one way check valve, is the impeller chamber of the pump dry? Is the flow check on the water heater dry on both sides? I had one hell of a nasty repair to a motorhome water heater, since the previous owner didn't get this concept.

As for antifreeze, it's now half the cost that it was when I first started RVing, twenty years ago. Walmart gets $2.58 a gallon, and it's rated for  -50F.   One of those things that's just too cheap to cut corners on.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2017, 03:05:19 PM »
Thanks for the input from both of you. Still deciding what to do here. We didn't quite plan ahead, but the thought of spending Christmas with family means we may have to deal with winterization. We also have semi full tanks that if we paid for the winterization, they'd dump for us, other wise we'd be doing a lot of driving to find somewhere to dump anyways.

I feel this is one of those things I should do my self, but like my botched attempt at waterproofing, I tend to put things off too long and I'd rather pay to get it done then forget about it because I'm lazy :)