Author Topic: Ubuntu !!  (Read 9669 times)

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
Ubuntu !!
« on: January 12, 2018, 11:04:24 AM »
Hakuna Matata

So here's the story.  My Vista PC must be 7 or 8 years old.  Yes, I said, "Vista".  I think it was one of the last ones shipped. I remember being annoyed at the time that they did not upgrade me to Windows 7.   But it is a high-powered computer with an Intel  i-7 chip, and replacement would cost at least $700.

Vista has been fine, but Microsoft has stopped all support of the operating system, and my Chrome browser is also warning me that support has stopped and I believe Firefox support will stop this year.  I am afraid if I just keep merrily using Vista operating system I will suddenly find I have no working browsers, not to mention the anti-virus software might not be working properly on the non-supported, non-updated operating system.

So I decide to bite the bullet and pay $120 or so to upgrade the operating system to Windows 10.  Rather than just buy the OS I try to contact Microsoft to find out the best way to do the upgrade. Of course there is no good way to contact them. Then I try to contact Dell (Computer was purchased directly from Dell) and send an email explaining my situation, explain that the hardware is pretty good, and just want to find out the best way to upgrade to Windows 10.  They reply claiming they don't know if my Vista computer (which is no longer supported) can handle Windows 10 and they recommend I buy a new computer and they would be glad to help me configure and purchase a new computer. Gee thanks!

So I research Ubuntu (Linux) operating system, and first I run it on my computer from a flash drive, and it seemed to work pretty well. It is completely free, although they ask for donations. One nice thing about running Ubuntu is I can still access files that are on the computer in the old Windows area.  I have backed up everything just in case.  So after running Ubuntu from a flash drive for a couple of weeks I finally installed it yesterday.  I created a partition and installed it on my computer without deleting the Windows Vista operating system.  So now when I boot up my computer I am given the choice of Ubuntu or Windows Vista, and if I do nothing it starts with Ubuntu. I can still access all my old files and the operating system works well.  It comes with spreadsheet and word processing software that are compatible with MS excel and Word. 

I am happy with this setup,  I will even go back and pay for the software (I will make a small donation), and best of all I can say, "screw you" to Microsopht !

jim555

• Magnum Stache
Re: Ubuntu !!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:19:54 AM »
I have used Ubuntu since 2010.  No worries about viruses.  I hardly use Windows 10 but have it on another disk just in case.  Today most programs have a version in Linux or are web based. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 12:06:30 PM »
Congrats on converting. We haven't owned a Windows computer since XP. We've used Arch Linux, Fedora, openSUSE, Slackware/Slax, Gentoo, Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu, and probably some other distributions I'm forgetting. I truly believe Linux is a superior operating system to Windows, even ignoring the cost. Ubuntu is a great place to start.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 12:33:24 PM »
it is a high-powered computer with an Intel  i-7 chip, and replacement would cost at least $700.
I know it's not the point of your thread, but just a nitpick here.  "Core i7" is just a brand.  The oldest i7 CPUs are much less powerful than current ones, and even less powerful than the newest i3 CPUs.  Example (copy and paste since the stupid brackets in the URL freak out the forum formatting):
Code: [Select]
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=849&cmp[]=3114This is the cheapest current Kaby Lake i3 laptop processor (the kind that would come in a shitty $400-new laptop) compared to the most powerful of the oldest (2010) Arrandale i7 laptop processors.

I'm not saying an upgrade is warranted, but just know the facts.

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 08:42:46 AM »
Thanks @ketchup , good to know!   My computer has =>>      Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz × 8

Intel Core i7-920 @ 2.67GHz 
Average CPU Mark     4945
Socket: LGA1366
Clockspeed: 2.7 GHz
Turbo Speed: 2.9 GHz
No of Cores: 4 (2 logical cores per physical)
Typical TDP: 130 W

Other names:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
CPU First Seen on Charts:  Q4 2008
CPUmark/$Price:  13.74     Overall Rank:  653
Last Price Change:  $359.95 USD (2010-07-04)

Single Thread Rating: 1164
Samples: 4901*
*Margin for error: Low

And this graph illustrates your point about modern processors being much more powerful.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:46:10 AM by TreeTired »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 10:58:09 AM »
Thanks @ketchup , good to know!   My computer has =>>      Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz × 8

Intel Core i7-920 @ 2.67GHz 
Average CPU Mark     4945
Socket: LGA1366
Clockspeed: 2.7 GHz
Turbo Speed: 2.9 GHz
No of Cores: 4 (2 logical cores per physical)
Typical TDP: 130 W

Other names:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
CPU First Seen on Charts:  Q4 2008
CPUmark/$Price:  13.74     Overall Rank:  653
Last Price Change:  $359.95 USD (2010-07-04)

Single Thread Rating: 1164
Samples: 4901*

And this graph illustrates your point about modern processors being much more powerful.
Ah, desktop CPU.  Not sure why I thought you were talking about a laptop.

Here's your CPU compared to the cheapest current desktop i3:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=834&cmp[]=2924
Intel Core i3-7100 @ 3.90GHz
$113.99 BUY NOW!
Socket Type   LGA1151
CPU Class   Desktop
Clockspeed   3.9 GHz
Turbo Speed   Not Supported
# of Physical Cores   2 (2 logical cores per physical)
Max TDP   51W
First Seen on Chart   Q1 2017
# of Samples   488
Single Thread Rating   2233
CPU Mark   5850

And your CPU's current counterpart:

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz  + Compare   
Average CPU Mark 16269
Description: Intel UHD Graphics 630
Socket: FCLGA1151
Clockspeed: 3.7 GHz
Turbo Speed: 4.7 GHz
No of Cores: 6 (2 logical cores per physical)
Typical TDP: 95 W

Other names:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
CPU First Seen on Charts:  Q4 2017
CPUmark/$Price:  42.93     Overall Rank:  65
Last Price Change:  $379 USD (2018-01-09)

Single Thread Rating: 2731
Samples: 909*
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:29:51 PM by ketchup »

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 11:51:04 AM »
Congratulations and welcome to the cult.  ;-)

Linux has been my primary operating system since 1994, and
various flavors of Unix prior to then.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 10:18:40 AM »

Since 1996 for me. I don't remember when I stopped dual-booting, but it was a long time ago. I finished business school without excel, maybe once borrowing someone else's computer for an assignment in statistics class. Otherwise, I've used very little Apple or Microsoft hardware or software since and don't miss it.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 06:03:02 AM »

Since 1996 for me. I don't remember when I stopped dual-booting, but it was a long time ago. I finished business school without excel, maybe once borrowing someone else's computer for an assignment in statistics class. Otherwise, I've used very little Apple or Microsoft hardware or software since and don't miss it.

I occasionally run Windows on VirtualBox VM under Linux, due to a work-related
reasons (e.g. someone sends me something that can only be run under Windows),
but otherwise never use it.  Having it available as a VM means I no longer need to
configure machines as dual-boot.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 03:32:00 PM »

I occasionally run Windows on VirtualBox VM under Linux, due to a work-related
reasons (e.g. someone sends me something that can only be run under Windows),
but otherwise never use it.  Having it available as a VM means I no longer need to
configure machines as dual-boot.
Microsoft has a page to download a VM of Windows 10.
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 09:36:45 PM »
DW's beloved, but costly in its time, MacBook Air recently became no longer up to the task. 2 GB of soldered RAM, failing battery, and a hard drive too small (when decluttered) to download the next update, meant it really wasn't up for much. She clung to the OSX platform and the 11" size factor.

Luckily I was able to sell her on a few of my skills. We pulled in a refurbished 11" Acer that had non-soldered RAM and an actual 2.5" hard drive (do you have ANY idea how hard it is to find those two items in an 11" platform?). Swapped in an 8 GB stick of RAM and a 256 GB SSD installed Elementary OS (Ubuntu based OSX clone) and away we go. She has an android phone so luckily she already orbits the Google ecosystem for photos and calendars.

Of course when you go as cheap as I did ... well you have a few hiccups. The worst of which was poor grouping of the track pad that required soldering a new grounding wire to the track pad and running it to the chassis for ground.

The end result? No complaints from the DW at a cost of 1/5th of the price of her mother's brand new MacBook (MacBook Air only comes in the 13", whereas MacBook still has an 11" form factor).

Of course after the Spectre and Meltdown patches my computer is now maxing out its CPU at times and it might be time to consider another "upgrade" just to browse the internet.

Solvent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Professional abroad
    • Extense
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 06:00:30 AM »
Good work! I still dual-boot, but as time goes by I use Windows less. There are still utilities and especially games I use/play that are much friendlier with Windows than Ubuntu. If all you wanted to do was browse the net, use office software, and do stuff with digital photos (probably 90% of my computer use) then Ubuntu ought to suit you just fine.

To be accurate, I actually prefer Lubuntu. Lubuntu is designed to run fast on older PCs as well, so you can get away with cheaper hardware.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 03:32:07 AM »
I'm keen to install Linux on my old MacBook Pro, especially once Apple decide to stop supporting El Capitan.

I'll probably go for Xubuntu or Ubuntu MATE once 18.04 drops. I used Linux regularly about 10-15 years ago (including running Ubuntu as my primary OS from 2005-2008), so I'm not completely unfamiliar with Linux.

I tried booting from a USB stick to play around recently, and I found that the trackpad in Linux wasn't quite as nice as it is in OSX. I need to work out how to get the trackpad to behave the same (pointer speed, acceleration, etc) in Linux as it does in OSX.

chicwhitesox1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 06:47:44 AM »
I'm actually using XP now, and want to use UBUNTU, is it easy to install?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 07:18:12 AM »

Yes.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 07:44:07 AM »
I recently started teaching myself Linux in the hope of making myself more valuable at work.  I messed around with VMs but just found them a little awkward to work with.  So then I started running bootable USBs with different distributions just playing around. 

Eventually I resurrected an old laptop that had run XP, with a long ago discarded hard drive.  I threw in a new hard drive, installed Ubuntu from the USB and it fired up right away with no problems.  I then installed some more distributions, such as Fedora and Mint, and they were smart enough to recognize each other, and even create their own partitions, and a multi-boot menu.

My tech skills are in the low-med range, and I was just amazed at how easy all this was.  It seemed every time I had a question I could just Google it and 5 other people had the same question with slew of helpful responses.

Surely Linux is the most mustachian operating system?!?

Lan Mandragoran

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 07:45:32 AM »
I have a 4th gen i5 much to my shame. I think the new iphone A11 chip out classes it :S and its ARM architecture lol.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 09:09:11 AM »
Surely Linux is the most mustachian operating system?!?

+1

Not only due to the cost, but because of the freedom Linux
provides the user.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 06:52:26 PM »
Yes, but partioning the hard drive might be unusual if you're used to drive letters. That and changing the size of the Windows partition if you wish to keep it. Aside from that it shouldn't be too hard.

How much RAM does the machine have? If it's 1GB or less, you're probably better off using one of the Ubuntu derivatives with a lighter weight desktop (Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc). If it's 256MB or less, then definitely add some more RAM.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 03:43:09 PM »
Congrats and welcome to the parallel universe known as Linux!!!!

Mint Linux KDE user here. Just adore Linux. Have been using it since 1997 or 1998.

Our family computer caught a virus forcing me to wipe the hard drive. Reinstalled everything and it caught the same virus again!

friend showed me some command line/DOS looking thing called Linux. I decided to see if it could get the job done for us.

Fortunately there was a far more GUI based version of Linux called Mandrake/Mandriva (later).

Eventually the family computer was dual-booting XP and Mandriva Linux. Years later we have a much nicer computer dual-booting Win 7 and Mint Linux KDE. I'm not a fan of Win8 or Win10

The whole family gets their work done in Linux while still playing a few games over on the Windows side. Our kids have done some impressive (to Mom and Dad) things with video editing, audio editing, picture editing, etc in Linux. I've installed it for relatives, neighbors, coworkers, friends, etc. Most folks dual boot but use Windows very, very little.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 04:03:12 PM »
I chose Debian as my distro when I converted a Vista machine years ago. At the time one reason I chose Debian was they still had official support for my Powerbook G4. Never made the plunge to Linux on the Mac because I didn't like the trackpad driver and PowerMacs are no longer officially supported by the Debian project, but I haven't changed distros yet.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 04:11:05 PM »
I am trying out Arch Linux, which is not for newbies, and like it a lot.  It is a rolling release that is always up to date.  All the apps are always the newest releases.

The worst part of Arch is the Arch install.  But now a new distro, Anarchy Linux will get you without the pain.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 07:30:55 PM »
I tried Mint but I think I accidentally erased Windows, or made it inaccessible, and also I can't use wifi and apparently installing drivers in Linux requires sorcery (in the form of typing unintelligible things into Terminal). Oops. I mean, yeah, it way faster than trying to run Windows 10 on a computer built for Windows 7, which was almost unusably slow (sometimes actually unusable--it wouldn't load TaxAct at all).

I am going to try Ubuntu to see if that gets me wireless access at least. I really just want web surfing with a keyboard. I am NOT a techy person and haven't got the time/energy to convert myself into a techy person right now.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2018, 07:42:58 PM »
it is a high-powered computer with an Intel  i-7 chip, and replacement would cost at least $700.
I know it's not the point of your thread, but just a nitpick here.  "Core i7" is just a brand.  The oldest i7 CPUs are much less powerful than current ones, and even less powerful than the newest i3 CPUs.  Example (copy and paste since the stupid brackets in the URL freak out the forum formatting):
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=849&cmp[]=3114This is the cheapest current Kaby Lake i3 laptop processor (the kind that would come in a shitty $400-new laptop) compared to the most powerful of the oldest (2010) Arrandale i7 laptop processors.

I'm not saying an upgrade is warranted, but just know the facts.

LOL! I just checked my laptop's CPU on that website and it sells for $39 now. Woot! That's what happens when IDGAF and hold onto computer equipment for years and years. I think I've gotten my <$400 of value out of this thing.

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 09:26:50 PM »
Oooh, this thread is a timely reminder I should look into doing this. I have a 10 year old MacBook that is still going strong, except that support has dropped off for everything. I'm still running Lion, and all my web browsers come with warning signals. Other than that everything is fine, though my poor laptop would probably appreciate me cleaning out the fans. A few years ago I maxed out the RAM and removed the optical disk drive to put in an SSD. I would be heartbroken if it stopped working, but I'm thinking switching to a Linux OS would be a good pre-emptive solution, because the most likely reason for failure really seems to be support continuing to drop off until nothing works any more. I had the same issue with my 2011 iPhone 4, which still works (slowly), but basically can't do anything because of the lack of updates and support.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 04:38:21 AM »
I've tried various distros on my MBP, and I've put a live image of Ubuntu MATE on a USB drive and booted my MacBook from it.

Unfortunately the trackpad doesn't feel quite as nice as it does in OSX. The settings are all wrong. As such, I need to work out how to get the trackpad to behave in Linux like how it does in OSX :)

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2018, 05:58:02 AM »
On a slightly different tack - what are the employment prospects for Linux folks in the near future?  Is it worth getting a Linux certification?  I'm looking to do the CompTIA Linux+ cert at the local CC.  Is it worth my time?

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2018, 07:10:28 AM »
On a slightly different tack - what are the employment prospects for Linux folks in the near future?  Is it worth getting a Linux certification?  I'm looking to do the CompTIA Linux+ cert at the local CC.  Is it worth my time?

If you have an interest in working with Linux systems, I'd definitely recommend
getting your certification.  In and of itself, it won't make you a Unix guru, but you'll
definitely have something worthwhile that you can put on your resume for
potential future employers.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2018, 07:45:07 AM »
I work as a software developer.  Being knowledgeable in Linux and Windows is just something that's expected of you, not really considered a bonus.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2018, 08:32:49 AM »

getting your certification.  In and of itself, it won't make you a Unix guru, but you'll

Thanks, yeah I was thinking the same thing.  Currently we are a mainframe shop but there are whispers of converting to Linux.  It would be nice to be ready for that when/if it happens.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 09:16:33 AM »
I tried Mint but I think I accidentally erased Windows, or made it inaccessible, and also I can't use wifi and apparently installing drivers in Linux requires sorcery (in the form of typing unintelligible things into Terminal). Oops. I mean, yeah, it way faster than trying to run Windows 10 on a computer built for Windows 7, which was almost unusably slow (sometimes actually unusable--it wouldn't load TaxAct at all).

I am going to try Ubuntu to see if that gets me wireless access at least. I really just want web surfing with a keyboard. I am NOT a techy person and haven't got the time/energy to convert myself into a techy person right now.

I wish I could stop by. I might be able to fix that computer in no time.

In the start menu look for "Driver Manager". That will sometimes offer up a driver that isn't automagically installed. Normally all the drivers you need are included in the Linux kernel. Sometimes you'll need to use "Software Manager" or "Synaptic" to install a some wireless driver. All GUI. I rarely *need* to use the command line for that stuff anymore.

You might Google up your computer name/model and Ubuntu and set the search results to the past year or two so you get modern solutions to your headscratchers. What was relevant in 2004 might not be relevant now so always pay attention to the date of the forum questions/answers. Once upon a time installing the video drivers was darn near impossible for me but somewhere along the way years ago it began to happen automagically or via the "Driver Manager".

In case you had not thought of this - when I search Google for help I always search for Linux Mint help and then Ubuntu help. Ubuntu answers are 99.9% of the time applicable to Linux Mint users b/c the software shares the same software foundation.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2018, 09:19:24 AM »
It looks like there are some folks working on Mac touchpad topics.

"https://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+trackpad+multi-finger+touch"

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2018, 03:38:40 PM »
It looks like there are some folks working on Mac touchpad topics.

"https://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+trackpad+multi-finger+touch"
Yeah I find the cursor speed and acceleration don't feel quite right either (it's a criticism I have of several Windows laptops too), even if I manually adjust it.

This might work:

https://williambharding.com/blog/technology/toward-a-linux-touchpad-as-smooth-as-macbook-pro/

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018, 06:38:34 AM »
Switching to LXLE has kept an ancient dual core Pentium (forget which gen off hand, but 9-10 years old) usable for my purposes. Our other two computers are desktop gaming machines I built. While there are games compatible with Linux, those machines are Windows 10 for gaming purposes.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 08:11:14 AM »

Long-time off & on Linux user.  Is there a recommended cert?  I looked into it a while back to complement MS certifications but was unsure which was best for overall Linux knowledge, ie not distro-specific.  Thanks for any pointers!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2018, 08:44:31 PM »

I wish I could stop by. I might be able to fix that computer in no time.

In the start menu look for "Driver Manager". That will sometimes offer up a driver that isn't automagically installed. Normally all the drivers you need are included in the Linux kernel. Sometimes you'll need to use "Software Manager" or "Synaptic" to install a some wireless driver. All GUI. I rarely *need* to use the command line for that stuff anymore.

You might Google up your computer name/model and Ubuntu and set the search results to the past year or two so you get modern solutions to your headscratchers. What was relevant in 2004 might not be relevant now so always pay attention to the date of the forum questions/answers. Once upon a time installing the video drivers was darn near impossible for me but somewhere along the way years ago it began to happen automagically or via the "Driver Manager".

In case you had not thought of this - when I search Google for help I always search for Linux Mint help and then Ubuntu help. Ubuntu answers are 99.9% of the time applicable to Linux Mint users b/c the software shares the same software foundation.

Driver Manager worked! Thanks so much! Why are these websites going on about terminal if there is a driver manager???

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2018, 04:47:45 AM »
Because the articles may have been older. There’s been an effort in the main Linux distros to replace terminal commands with graphic user interfaces (GUI) for years, but the older you get in Ubuntu or similar distro versions, the more terminal use you had to use. But it’s been at least 5 years or more, I think, since you have had to use terminal commands for anything so basic as driver management.

Alternately, the articles were written by Linux heads meant for Linux heads, in which case, hopping into the terminal is a first resort?

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2018, 05:11:43 AM »
Maybe also that different distros use different GUI interfaces for everything, and the command line at least is common to distros and configurations.

Otherwise there's potentially different instructions for distros using each desktop, distro variants, etc.

All distros have a command line :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2018, 06:53:57 AM »
Maybe also that different distros use different GUI interfaces for everything, and the command line at least is common to distros and configurations.

Otherwise there's potentially different instructions for distros using each desktop, distro variants, etc.

Good point, though some distros use different repositories so even the terminal commands would be different. I think. I’m no Linux expert.

Million2000

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2018, 07:31:51 AM »
I've been running Linux Mint for two months now and love it. My own desire to try Linux was born out of the increasing frustration with Microsoft in how they support their software. I still use Windows 7 (now primarily for gaming) and wanted to reformat but thought my DVD player had bit the dust (turns out it didn't, was just a driver issue) and wanted to boot from a USB. There were issues and then there were more issues. Microsoft was of no use, the guys in India couldn't answer simple questions about the process, a process Microsoft outlined on their website. In the end I gave up because I didn't need the USB boot, but it got me thinking and soon enough I had Linux Mint running.

What I love about Linux Mint is that much of the functionality of why I use a PC is by default just there. Almost all of the software is open source, free, and already installed. I get updates far faster than with Windows, and the community is much more helpful. The Microsoft help website is a joke.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2018, 07:40:31 AM »
Because the articles may have been older.

Linux was designed around a CLI first and foremost.  Literally anything you want to do can be done in the command line, and it's typically the most efficient way to do something.  Anything complicated can easily be scripted.  In contrast, the GUI part is a (widely used, pretty decent) afterthought.  Many things can be done on the GUI, and some of them can be done efficiently.

I'll typically give someone the CLI method when they want something done because it's much easier to copy a couple lines into a terminal than to describe multiple windows, tabs, checkboxes, and edit boxes in a UI that is subject to regular change.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »
Many versions of Linux can be had with different desktop environment on top. Writing help tutorials for the command line works on more versions than if someone tells you how to cope with a bluetooth audio problem in KDE when you are running the MATE or Cinnamon desktop.

I think I just repeated things already said but in an effort to be clear for myself...

The underlying mechanism maybe the same in KDE and MATE but the GUI is certainly different.

I default to the command line for a few things. I have a Ubuntu/Debian/Mint command "saved" in Konsole (KDE name for terminal) that has the system refresh the file lists, upgrades and then autoremoves any orphan files. Example:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y && sudo apt-get autoremove -y

Once you start to learn the command line tricks the GUI seems slow on any OS - Linux, Windows or Mac. A half dozen or more mouse clicks through the menus vs opening Konsole and tapping the up arrow a few times and then giving the system the password.

chicwhitesox1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2018, 06:34:49 AM »
mr bill gates won't be happy with Ubuntu

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2018, 06:40:15 AM »

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2018, 07:00:42 AM »
Microsoft has built in the Windows Subsystem for Linux into Windows 10.  Now you can run Linux in Win 10.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2018, 07:47:38 AM »
Microsoft has built in the Windows Subsystem for Linux into Windows 10.  Now you can run Linux in Win 10.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2018, 08:10:51 AM »

Good point, though some distros use different repositories so even the terminal commands would be different. I think. I’m no Linux expert.
In terms of package management, there are two major distro families: Debian-style (apt) and RedHat-style (rpm). The majority of commonly used distros employ one of these two systems, so if you stick with CLI commands you have close to a 50/50 shot of your instructions being helpful to a particular user.

Ubuntu(!!) in particular has a bunch of variants based on the same OS structure and packages, but with different alternative GUIs running on top. So even Ubuntu-specific how-tos are better off using CLI commands rather than GUI instructions in most cases.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:13:58 AM by dcheesi »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2018, 11:48:02 AM »
mr bill gates won't be happy with Ubuntu

Screw Gates! ;)  I never liked the viruses that his operating system seemed to be a magnet for.

To be honest many times I was my own worst enemy when I was younger. Finally stopped exploring the darker recesses of the web where viruses were attached to all sorts of files. A great self education process that served me well later in my career.

Viruses kept me busy at work many a day cleaning up after someone else. Just as the OS has finally gotten a little harder to infect my employer finally got serious about locked down systems which are harder to infect too. I seldom need to do that anymore. Other things to manage.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 11:51:08 AM by Just Joe »

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2018, 04:21:00 PM »
Holy cow you might hold the record for the longest user of Vista.  I did a quick check and it looks like there is still 0.53%.  Chrome OS is 0.32% which seems odd but oh well.

I would second Linux Mint for a first time Linux user.  Even after years of using Linux I still like Mint.  Been hearing good things about Elementary OS especially if you like the Mac look and it also is based on Ubuntu.

For some reason every time I try Ubuntu the new desktop that they put in several years back drives me nuts.  Otherwise on headless machines I usually prefer Ubuntu.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2018, 05:13:14 PM »
For some reason every time I try Ubuntu the new desktop that they put in several years back drives me nuts.  Otherwise on headless machines I usually prefer Ubuntu.

You might try Xubuntu.  It uses the classic XFCE desktop.